Burger King admits it has been selling beef burgers containing horsemeat

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JJ_Productions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JJ_Productions
Member since 2008 • 1067 Posts

Burger King has tonight admitted that it has been selling burgers and Whoppers containing horsemeat despite two weeks of denials.

The fast food chain, which has more than 500 UK outlets, had earlier given a series of absolute assurances that its products were not involved.

However, new tests have revealed these guarantees were incorrect in a revelation that threatens to destroy the trust of customers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2271440/Burger-King-admits-selling-beef-burgers-Whoppers-containing-horse-meat.html#ixzz2JcjgbRzG 

PUBLISHED: 17:41 GMT, 31 January 2013 | UPDATED: 02:16 GMT, 1 February 2013

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MetalDogGear
Member since 2013 • 825 Posts

Burger King has tonight admitted that it has been selling burgers and Whoppers containing horsemeat despite two weeks of denials.

The fast food chain, which has more than 500 UK outlets, had earlier given a series of absolute assurances that its products were not involved.

However, new tests have revealed these guarantees were incorrect in a revelation that threatens to destroy the trust of customers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2271440/Burger-King-admits-selling-beef-burgers-Whoppers-containing-horse-meat.html#ixzz2JcjgbRzG 

JJ_Productions
That sure raises EQUESTRIAN about their ethics
-Fromage-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 -Fromage-
Member since 2009 • 10572 Posts
First of all I don't eat at Burger King. Secondly I don't live in the UK, and third what's wrong with horse meat?
Gamefan1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gamefan1986
Member since 2005 • 1325 Posts

Isn't horse meat supposed to be better than beef?

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MetalDogGear
First of all I don't eat at Burger King. Secondly I don't live in the UK, and third what's wrong with horse meat?-Fromage-
Nothing, unless you're Sarah Jessica Parker.
soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

Whew, I'm saved. 

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
I'm fine with horsemeat. Maybe McDonalds should add some horsemeat to their "all beef patties", because I'd sure as hell rather eat a burger from Burger King than from McDonalds.
Lotus-Edge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lotus-Edge
Member since 2008 • 50513 Posts

Maybe it is a horsbeef. A new special breed.magicalclick
31105448.jpg

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Was it the mane ingredient?

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
This is just for the eu, us americans are fine.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#12 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

meh, i'd like to have a horseburger. maybe BK isn't the first place i'd go for one, but i'd certainly try it.

it's kinda scummy that that they didn't tell people about it, but honestly i take all these "100% beef" fast food claims with a grain of salt. it would probably be a bigger deal in the US though because i think horsemeat is illegal here.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts
This is just for the eu, us americans are fine.JigglyWiggly_
thank god. i was like "wtf" when i saw the title of this thread.
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MetalDogGear
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]This is just for the eu, us americans are fine.PSP107
thank god. i was like "wtf" when i saw the title of this thread.

Yeah, good thing bad stuff only happens in the EU.
bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
They better pony up the cash for settlements
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MetalDogGear
They better pony up the cash for settlementsbobaban
Hee-haw I give this post a NEIGH out of TEN
JJ_Productions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JJ_Productions

They better pony up the cash for settlementsbobaban
Thats pretty funny, clever indeed.

MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MetalDogGear

[QUOTE="bobaban"]They better pony up the cash for settlementsJJ_Productions

Thats pretty funny, clever indeed.

Hey! I worked hard on that Equestrian joke....

Quit Horsing around and give me recognition

Jacobistheman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Jacobistheman
Member since 2007 • 3975 Posts
[QUOTE="JJ_Productions"]

MetalDogGear

of chorse it does, they really need to stop beefing around the bush and come clean.
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MetalDogGear
[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="JJ_Productions"]

Jacobistheman

of chorse it does, they really need to stop beefing around the bush and come clean.

I guess we should take all statements with a grain of SALT
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

meh, i'd like to have a horseburger. maybe BK isn't the first place i'd go for one, but i'd certainly try it.

it's kinda scummy that that they didn't tell people about it, but honestly i take all these "100% beef" fast food claims with a grain of salt. it would probably be a bigger deal in the US though because i think horsemeat is illegal here.

LoG-Sacrament
Whenever I see claims like "100% beef" or "all beef patties", I just assume that they're using testicles and penises and hair as part of their definition of "beef". By-products from a cow still count as beef, right? If you dump a barrel of cow penises and cow eyeballs into the grinder, doesn't that still count as "beef" since it came from a cow? Anyway, whether that's the case or not, I don't care. I'm only going to complain if it doesn't meet my expectations of taste, and those expectations are already probably fairly low if I'm eating at McDonalds or Burger King in the first place. At that point, a few eyeballs or penises or horse parts aren't gonna matter to me one bit.
JJ_Productions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JJ_Productions
Some people are asking whats the beef with horse meat? Its not the content of the product but the misleading of the the customers by claiming 100% Beef. That is the meat of the problem.
MetalDogGear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MetalDogGear
Some people are asking whats the beef with horse meat? Its not the content of the product but the misleading of the the customers by claiming 100% Beef. That is the meat of the problem. JJ_Productions
I never got that. Mcdonalds prides itself on 100% real chicken. Isn't that like seeing a cleaning ad, and their biggest benefit is that their workers don't STEAL your valuables?
quidy123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 quidy123
Member since 2012 • 111 Posts

i dont think there's anything wrong with horse meat. but i had some of the tesco's burgers a while ago and they were horrible. at first i thought it was because they were out of date. 

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#25 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]

MrGeezer
Whenever I see claims like "100% beef" or "all beef patties", I just assume that they're using testicles and penises and hair as part of their definition of "beef". By-products from a cow still count as beef, right? If you dump a barrel of cow penises and cow eyeballs into the grinder, doesn't that still count as "beef" since it came from a cow? Anyway, whether that's the case or not, I don't care. I'm only going to complain if it doesn't meet my expectations of taste, and those expectations are already probably fairly low if I'm eating at McDonalds or Burger King in the first place. At that point, a few eyeballs or penises or horse parts aren't gonna matter to me one bit.

it's one of those things where i don't want to know what's in the meat. i used to get soft shell tacos at taco bell which were just taco meat, cheese, and soft tortillas. without fail, i'd somehow get crunchy bits every time. now i just get the hard shells so i don't notice.

if i found out the crunch was ground up horse bones, i'd probably be a little relieved.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

For those asking "whats wrong with horse meat?"

I counter ask, "Whats wrong with dog meat?"

Its about cultureal perspectives, and where I live (Kentucky) they are equally as taboo.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
I wonder how many Jews and Muslims ate those burgers. After looking at some horse meat cuts I gotta say beyond them lying about what is in the burgers I don't have a problem with it.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#28 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

I'm fine with horsemeat. Maybe McDonalds should add some horsemeat to their "all beef patties", because I'd sure as hell rather eat a burger from Burger King than from McDonalds. MrGeezer

^This.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dercoo

I wonder how many Jews and Muslims ate those burgers.Ace6301
I don't think it was classified as Kosher. However if they ran that too then this could produce some serious lawsuits. 

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts
well, I see nothing wrong with eating horses, though people shouldn't be mislead into eating something they're not expecting... then again I'm sure most people aren't aware of all the additives and processes meat for fast food goes through to be called meat, if we're going full disclosure then affordable fast food is dead
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]I wonder how many Jews and Muslims ate those burgers.dercoo

I don't think it was classified as Kosher. However if they ran that too then this could produce some serious lawsuits. 

I very much doubt they advertise that. I do however know at least one Jewish dude who seems to not bother asking about whether the beef is kosher but still avoids pork. I assume he'd avoid horse too. I should ask him about this next time I see him.
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 dercoo

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]I wonder how many Jews and Muslims ate those burgers.Ace6301

I very much doubt they advertise that. I do however know at least one Jewish dude who seems to not bother asking about whether the beef is kosher but still avoids pork. I assume he'd avoid horse too. I should ask him about this next time I see him.

Kosher marks it as having some degree of certification to meat general religious standards. Eating outside of said label is proceeding at own risk. However many Jews are not scared to death of accidentaly eating the wrong meat so are Ok with such "risks"

Howver if they actually labeled it Kosher, they could get in some serious trouble.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="dercoo"] I don't think it was classified as Kosher. However if they ran that too then this could produce some serious lawsuits. 

dercoo

Kosher marks it as having some degree of certification to meat general religious standards. Eating outside of said label is proceeding at own risk. However many Jews are not scared to death of accidentaly eating the wrong meat so are Ok with such "risks"

Howver if they actually labeled it Kosher, they could get in some serious trouble.

I'm aware of that.
kriggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 kriggy
Member since 2008 • 1314 Posts

For those asking "whats wrong with horse meat?"

I counter ask, "Whats wrong with dog meat?"

Its about cultureal perspectives, and where I live (Kentucky) they are equally as taboo.

dercoo

Then I guess you are going to fall off your chair when I tell you that where I live there's a sausage made out of horse meat which is sold throughout the center-parts of Sweden that tastes so awesome. As a matter of fact, I'm eating it right now! :D

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I want to try it
Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="JJ_Productions"]

Jacobistheman

They're probably not chomping at the bit to come clean, but they hoof to do so sooner or later.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#37 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
Is there anything wrong with horse meat other than people thinking that it's fine to eat Cows/Deer/Bear/etc but not horses?
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Ace6301
Is there anything wrong with horse meat other than people thinking that it's fine to eat Cows/Deer/Bear/etc but not horses?Legolas_Katarn
Health wise it's comparable to other meats. It's mostly a societal thing why you wouldn't eat a horse. They're useful, nice looking and quite a few people view them more like a pet than a farm animal. Also they're cloven hoofed and as such certain religious prohibit eating it.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]Is there anything wrong with horse meat other than people thinking that it's fine to eat Cows/Deer/Bear/etc but not horses?Ace6301
Health wise it's comparable to other meats. It's mostly a societal thing why you wouldn't eat a horse. They're useful, nice looking and quite a few people view them more like a pet than a farm animal. Also they're cloven hoofed and as such certain religious prohibit eating it.

Apparently is quite nice, I'd like to try a horse steak.

Angie7F

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Angie7F
Member since 2011 • 1175 Posts

So what...

We eat horse meat in Japan as sashimi.

tryagainlater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#41 tryagainlater
Member since 2005 • 7446 Posts

Nothing wrong with a bit a horse.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
What's wrong with horsemeat since we already have ate cowmeat.. ?!
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tenaka2

What's wrong with horsemeat since we already have ate cowmeat.. ?!Dogswithguns

Cows can't talk, people don't like when their food talks. Its why we don't eat parrots.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

[QUOTE="Dogswithguns"]What's wrong with horsemeat since we already have ate cowmeat.. ?!tenaka2

Cows can't talk, people don't like when their food talks. Its why we don't eat parrots.

Oh oh... moooo moo.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#45 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I don't eat at burger king anymore.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
Lol daily mail
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts

Would you really care or notice if you didn't know?

what-if-i-told-you.jpg.

Now I am not advocating eating horse meat. But would someone really care or know if they were eating it? and what is soo eww about horse meat, when people eat various other kinds of meat.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#48 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

What we learned here is that horses are tasty.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 tenaka2

Would you really care or notice if you didn't know?

Now I am not advocating eating horse meat. But would someone really care or know if they were eating it? and what is soo eww about horse meat, when people eat various other kinds of meat.

dramaybaz

Agreed, not fussed about eating horse.

I be more concerned if they found traces of dog, cat or gangster.

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#50 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

Yeah it would bother me. I stopped eating Burger King years ago, back in the 90s, when some kind of investigation showed them as the fast food restaurant in the US with the most maggots. But if I did eat it, I'd be pretty pissed if they were serving me horsemeat.