Burger King admits it has been selling beef burgers containing horsemeat

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by JJ_Productions (1064 posts) -

Burger King has tonight admitted that it has been selling burgers and Whoppers containing horsemeat despite two weeks of denials.

The fast food chain, which has more than 500 UK outlets, had earlier given a series of absolute assurances that its products were not involved.

However, new tests have revealed these guarantees were incorrect in a revelation that threatens to destroy the trust of customers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2271440/Burger-King-admits-selling-beef-burgers-Whoppers-containing-horse-meat.html#ixzz2JcjgbRzG 

PUBLISHED: 17:41 GMT, 31 January 2013 UPDATED: 02:16 GMT, 1 February 2013

#2 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -

Burger King has tonight admitted that it has been selling burgers and Whoppers containing horsemeat despite two weeks of denials.

The fast food chain, which has more than 500 UK outlets, had earlier given a series of absolute assurances that its products were not involved.

However, new tests have revealed these guarantees were incorrect in a revelation that threatens to destroy the trust of customers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2271440/Burger-King-admits-selling-beef-burgers-Whoppers-containing-horse-meat.html#ixzz2JcjgbRzG 

JJ_Productions
That sure raises EQUESTRIAN about their ethics
#3 Posted by -Fromage- (10526 posts) -
First of all I don't eat at Burger King. Secondly I don't live in the UK, and third what's wrong with horse meat?
#4 Posted by Gamefan1986 (1323 posts) -

Isn't horse meat supposed to be better than beef?

#5 Posted by magicalclick (22562 posts) -
Maybe it is a horsbeef. A new special breed.
#6 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -
First of all I don't eat at Burger King. Secondly I don't live in the UK, and third what's wrong with horse meat?-Fromage-
Nothing, unless you're Sarah Jessica Parker.
#7 Posted by soulless4now (41372 posts) -

Whew, I'm saved. 

#8 Posted by MrGeezer (56232 posts) -
I'm fine with horsemeat. Maybe McDonalds should add some horsemeat to their "all beef patties", because I'd sure as hell rather eat a burger from Burger King than from McDonalds.
#9 Posted by Lotus-Edge (50439 posts) -

Maybe it is a horsbeef. A new special breed.magicalclick
31105448.jpg

#10 Posted by wis3boi (31294 posts) -

Was it the mane ingredient?

#11 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (23500 posts) -
This is just for the eu, us americans are fine.
#12 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -

meh, i'd like to have a horseburger. maybe BK isn't the first place i'd go for one, but i'd certainly try it.

it's kinda scummy that that they didn't tell people about it, but honestly i take all these "100% beef" fast food claims with a grain of salt. it would probably be a bigger deal in the US though because i think horsemeat is illegal here.

#13 Posted by PSP107 (11894 posts) -
This is just for the eu, us americans are fine.JigglyWiggly_
thank god. i was like "wtf" when i saw the title of this thread.
#14 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]This is just for the eu, us americans are fine.PSP107
thank god. i was like "wtf" when i saw the title of this thread.

Yeah, good thing bad stuff only happens in the EU.
#15 Posted by bobaban (10558 posts) -
They better pony up the cash for settlements
#16 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -
They better pony up the cash for settlementsbobaban
Hee-haw I give this post a NEIGH out of TEN
#17 Posted by JJ_Productions (1064 posts) -

They better pony up the cash for settlementsbobaban
Thats pretty funny, clever indeed.

#18 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -

[QUOTE="bobaban"]They better pony up the cash for settlementsJJ_Productions

Thats pretty funny, clever indeed.

Hey! I worked hard on that Equestrian joke....

Quit Horsing around and give me recognition

#19 Posted by Jacobistheman (3975 posts) -
[QUOTE="JJ_Productions"]

MetalDogGear

of chorse it does, they really need to stop beefing around the bush and come clean.
#20 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -
[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="JJ_Productions"]

Jacobistheman

of chorse it does, they really need to stop beefing around the bush and come clean.

I guess we should take all statements with a grain of SALT
#21 Posted by MrGeezer (56232 posts) -

meh, i'd like to have a horseburger. maybe BK isn't the first place i'd go for one, but i'd certainly try it.

it's kinda scummy that that they didn't tell people about it, but honestly i take all these "100% beef" fast food claims with a grain of salt. it would probably be a bigger deal in the US though because i think horsemeat is illegal here.

LoG-Sacrament
Whenever I see claims like "100% beef" or "all beef patties", I just assume that they're using testicles and penises and hair as part of their definition of "beef". By-products from a cow still count as beef, right? If you dump a barrel of cow penises and cow eyeballs into the grinder, doesn't that still count as "beef" since it came from a cow? Anyway, whether that's the case or not, I don't care. I'm only going to complain if it doesn't meet my expectations of taste, and those expectations are already probably fairly low if I'm eating at McDonalds or Burger King in the first place. At that point, a few eyeballs or penises or horse parts aren't gonna matter to me one bit.
#22 Posted by JJ_Productions (1064 posts) -
Some people are asking whats the beef with horse meat? Its not the content of the product but the misleading of the the customers by claiming 100% Beef. That is the meat of the problem.
#23 Posted by MetalDogGear (806 posts) -
Some people are asking whats the beef with horse meat? Its not the content of the product but the misleading of the the customers by claiming 100% Beef. That is the meat of the problem. JJ_Productions
I never got that. Mcdonalds prides itself on 100% real chicken. Isn't that like seeing a cleaning ad, and their biggest benefit is that their workers don't STEAL your valuables?
#24 Posted by quidy123 (116 posts) -

i dont think there's anything wrong with horse meat. but i had some of the tesco's burgers a while ago and they were horrible. at first i thought it was because they were out of date. 

#25 Posted by LoG-Sacrament (20397 posts) -
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]

MrGeezer
Whenever I see claims like "100% beef" or "all beef patties", I just assume that they're using testicles and penises and hair as part of their definition of "beef". By-products from a cow still count as beef, right? If you dump a barrel of cow penises and cow eyeballs into the grinder, doesn't that still count as "beef" since it came from a cow? Anyway, whether that's the case or not, I don't care. I'm only going to complain if it doesn't meet my expectations of taste, and those expectations are already probably fairly low if I'm eating at McDonalds or Burger King in the first place. At that point, a few eyeballs or penises or horse parts aren't gonna matter to me one bit.

it's one of those things where i don't want to know what's in the meat. i used to get soft shell tacos at taco bell which were just taco meat, cheese, and soft tortillas. without fail, i'd somehow get crunchy bits every time. now i just get the hard shells so i don't notice.

if i found out the crunch was ground up horse bones, i'd probably be a little relieved.

#26 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

For those asking "whats wrong with horse meat?"

I counter ask, "Whats wrong with dog meat?"

Its about cultureal perspectives, and where I live (Kentucky) they are equally as taboo.

#27 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -
I wonder how many Jews and Muslims ate those burgers. After looking at some horse meat cuts I gotta say beyond them lying about what is in the burgers I don't have a problem with it.
#28 Posted by GreySeal9 (24191 posts) -

I'm fine with horsemeat. Maybe McDonalds should add some horsemeat to their "all beef patties", because I'd sure as hell rather eat a burger from Burger King than from McDonalds. MrGeezer

^This.

#29 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

I wonder how many Jews and Muslims ate those burgers.Ace6301
I don't think it was classified as Kosher. However if they ran that too then this could produce some serious lawsuits. 

#30 Posted by lamprey263 (23547 posts) -
well, I see nothing wrong with eating horses, though people shouldn't be mislead into eating something they're not expecting... then again I'm sure most people aren't aware of all the additives and processes meat for fast food goes through to be called meat, if we're going full disclosure then affordable fast food is dead
#31 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]I wonder how many Jews and Muslims ate those burgers.dercoo

I don't think it was classified as Kosher. However if they ran that too then this could produce some serious lawsuits. 

I very much doubt they advertise that. I do however know at least one Jewish dude who seems to not bother asking about whether the beef is kosher but still avoids pork. I assume he'd avoid horse too. I should ask him about this next time I see him.
#32 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]I wonder how many Jews and Muslims ate those burgers.Ace6301

I very much doubt they advertise that. I do however know at least one Jewish dude who seems to not bother asking about whether the beef is kosher but still avoids pork. I assume he'd avoid horse too. I should ask him about this next time I see him.

Kosher marks it as having some degree of certification to meat general religious standards. Eating outside of said label is proceeding at own risk. However many Jews are not scared to death of accidentaly eating the wrong meat so are Ok with such "risks"

Howver if they actually labeled it Kosher, they could get in some serious trouble.

#33 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="dercoo"] I don't think it was classified as Kosher. However if they ran that too then this could produce some serious lawsuits. 

dercoo

Kosher marks it as having some degree of certification to meat general religious standards. Eating outside of said label is proceeding at own risk. However many Jews are not scared to death of accidentaly eating the wrong meat so are Ok with such "risks"

Howver if they actually labeled it Kosher, they could get in some serious trouble.

I'm aware of that.
#34 Posted by kriggy (845 posts) -

For those asking "whats wrong with horse meat?"

I counter ask, "Whats wrong with dog meat?"

Its about cultureal perspectives, and where I live (Kentucky) they are equally as taboo.

dercoo

Then I guess you are going to fall off your chair when I tell you that where I live there's a sausage made out of horse meat which is sold throughout the center-parts of Sweden that tastes so awesome. As a matter of fact, I'm eating it right now! :D

#35 Posted by Lonelynight (30041 posts) -
I want to try it
#36 Posted by Stesilaus (3317 posts) -

[QUOTE="MetalDogGear"][QUOTE="JJ_Productions"]

Jacobistheman

They're probably not chomping at the bit to come clean, but they hoof to do so sooner or later.

#37 Posted by Legolas_Katarn (15592 posts) -
Is there anything wrong with horse meat other than people thinking that it's fine to eat Cows/Deer/Bear/etc but not horses?
#38 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -
Is there anything wrong with horse meat other than people thinking that it's fine to eat Cows/Deer/Bear/etc but not horses?Legolas_Katarn
Health wise it's comparable to other meats. It's mostly a societal thing why you wouldn't eat a horse. They're useful, nice looking and quite a few people view them more like a pet than a farm animal. Also they're cloven hoofed and as such certain religious prohibit eating it.
#39 Posted by tenaka2 (17032 posts) -

[QUOTE="Legolas_Katarn"]Is there anything wrong with horse meat other than people thinking that it's fine to eat Cows/Deer/Bear/etc but not horses?Ace6301
Health wise it's comparable to other meats. It's mostly a societal thing why you wouldn't eat a horse. They're useful, nice looking and quite a few people view them more like a pet than a farm animal. Also they're cloven hoofed and as such certain religious prohibit eating it.

Apparently is quite nice, I'd like to try a horse steak.

#40 Posted by Angie7F (1120 posts) -

So what...

We eat horse meat in Japan as sashimi.

#41 Posted by tryagainlater (7445 posts) -

Nothing wrong with a bit a horse.

#42 Posted by Dogswithguns (10738 posts) -
What's wrong with horsemeat since we already have ate cowmeat.. ?!
#43 Posted by tenaka2 (17032 posts) -

What's wrong with horsemeat since we already have ate cowmeat.. ?!Dogswithguns

Cows can't talk, people don't like when their food talks. Its why we don't eat parrots.

#44 Posted by Dogswithguns (10738 posts) -

[QUOTE="Dogswithguns"]What's wrong with horsemeat since we already have ate cowmeat.. ?!tenaka2

Cows can't talk, people don't like when their food talks. Its why we don't eat parrots.

Oh oh... moooo moo.
#45 Posted by sukraj (22608 posts) -

I don't eat at burger king anymore.

#46 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6549 posts) -
Lol daily mail
#47 Posted by dramaybaz (6020 posts) -

Would you really care or notice if you didn't know?

what-if-i-told-you.jpg.

Now I am not advocating eating horse meat. But would someone really care or know if they were eating it? and what is soo eww about horse meat, when people eat various other kinds of meat.

#48 Posted by Legend002 (7090 posts) -

What we learned here is that horses are tasty.

#49 Posted by tenaka2 (17032 posts) -

Would you really care or notice if you didn't know?

Now I am not advocating eating horse meat. But would someone really care or know if they were eating it? and what is soo eww about horse meat, when people eat various other kinds of meat.

dramaybaz

Agreed, not fussed about eating horse.

I be more concerned if they found traces of dog, cat or gangster.

#50 Posted by m0zart (11562 posts) -

Yeah it would bother me. I stopped eating Burger King years ago, back in the 90s, when some kind of investigation showed them as the fast food restaurant in the US with the most maggots. But if I did eat it, I'd be pretty pissed if they were serving me horsemeat.