Bunch of teens crash while texting (Video).

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

Car Crash Videos Highlight Risk of Multitasking With Phones

Distracted driving by teenagers is riskier than previously thought, particularly when it comes to multitasking with a cellphone.

This is one finding of research being published on Wednesday that provides sobering video evidence of the extent and nature of the problem.

The study entailed putting video cameras in the cars of drivers ages 16 to 19, allowing researchers to watch the excruciating moments before nearly 1,700 crashes. Time and time again, teenagers in the videos — which will be made available to the public — lose themselves in their devices and then are jarred back to reality when they slam into another car or careen off the road.

The study, published by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, found that distraction was the cause of roughly 60 percent of moderate and severe crashes. The study says this is four times as many as some previous government estimates.

Source and Video.

SMH... Is time to increase the driving age.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

If only they hadn't went to college

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

@deeliman said:

If only they hadn't went to college

Don't worry, I'm sure they are all college bound.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts

Wonder how it stacks up to drinking and driving. I've read a few articles stating that texting/reading emails/etc is actually more dangerous...not sure how true it was though.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38662 Posts

i propose a law where if you injure someone else in a crash because you were fucking around on your phone like an idiot you get a grounded and have your phone taken away for 5 years.

if you're going to act like a child behind the wheel, you should get treated as one.

Emil_Fontz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 Emil_Fontz
Member since 2014 • 799 Posts

If empirical data is to be used as a basis for legislation, then persons under at least the age of majority should be prohibited from driving, though the limit should actually be set to twenty five (the age when the Human brain stops maturing).

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#7 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Not watching the video. It's a fact that texting and driving can lead to accidents and people who don't get that are morons.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Lol they're all basic bitches.

blueboxdoctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By blueboxdoctor
Member since 2010 • 2549 Posts

I don't get why people do this. As much as I don't want a self driving car, it is clear a lot of people really need them. I recently drove a vehicle with built in gps and I was oddly distracted. Kept looking down at it and would spend too much time looking at it then jump back to the road. I can only imagine how distracting texting and driving is. But I guess most people don't like driving so they need distractions.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts
@comp_atkins said:

i propose a law where if you injure someone else in a crash because you were fucking around on your phone like an idiot you get a grounded and have your phone taken away for 5 years.

if you're going to act like a child behind the wheel, you should get treated as one.

Uhh how about they go to prison instead? Injurying someone with a car isn't a joke.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38662 Posts

@JangoWuzHere said:
@comp_atkins said:

Uhh how about they go to prison instead? Injurying someone with a car isn't a joke.

isn't that already the case? it doesn't seem to be a deterrent.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

...duh?

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#13 quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

If you are stupid enough to text and drive and something happens, it is deserved. As with drunk drivers. No excuses for it.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#14 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

........no way........

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44503 Posts

I place more blame on phone design today than just the fact of using phones. I remember when I had a my cellphone with the basic power button, three menu buttons (up, select, down), and buttons 1-0 and # and *, I could pretty much write an essay on my phone without needing to look at the screen when texting, I had the letters down. And when making a call, I could dial without looking. Modern smart phones are far more complex, require more and attention and precision to use, and I think they largely are a bigger contributor to the dangers of being on the phone while driving.

Since they're doing studies, how about this one. Give another group of people these kinds of phones to call and another group smart phones, put cameras in the cars and see which group gets into accidents more.

And, as far as distracted driving goes, having other passengers is a danger especially if the driver is one of those people that has to look at you while they talk, can't stand those people, they scare me when they drive. How hard is it to not look at someone while you talk to them?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Texting while driving is worse than drunk driving. It's a visual, mental and physical distraction behind the wheel. Most people who are driving drunk just have the mental and physical distractions. Their eyes are glued, however foggily, to the road ahead.

I wish the punishments for texting while driving matched those for drunk driving. It is HIGHLY irresponsible and should be grounds for losing one's license and vehicle. I don't want to be the person killed by the stupid adolescent behind the wheel who thinks they are a better driver than everyone else on the road.

1-3 seconds of a distraction is enough to cause a serious collision. I'm not sure why people think it's worth it. Just put the phone down, and if it's that serious, pull off the road and attend to it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 foxhound_fox
@quatoe said:

If you are stupid enough to text and drive and something happens, it is deserved. As with drunk drivers. No excuses for it.

That's the problem though... people who text and drive often aren't the one's getting killed, but rather, they are doing the killing and surviving.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 quatoe

@foxhound_fox: That is true and it is wrong that it happens that way. I do not text and drive, so I feel for the families of victims caused by it. Makes me wonder why people aren't making more intelligent decisions, especially when it is a problem that is talked about quite often. Where I live someone got a 300 dollar ticket just for being on their phone while at train tracks waiting for the train to pass. If that doesn't make someone not text and drive, well, I don't know it just is hard to imagine.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By foxhound_fox

@quatoe said:

@foxhound_fox: That is true and it is wrong that it happens that way. I do not text and drive, so I feel for the families of victims caused by it. Makes me wonder why people aren't making more intelligent decisions, especially when it is a problem that is talked about quite often. Where I live someone got a 300 dollar ticket just for being on their phone while at train tracks waiting for the train to pass. If that doesn't make someone not text and drive, well, I don't know it just is hard to imagine.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work with everyone. I've known people who speed, get tickets, and keep speeding (and not just 3-5 mph over, but 10+ all the time, in all areas) and pay over a thousand a year just for their license, let alone their insurance.

Some people never learn. You can even take their car and license away and they'll still find a way back behind the wheel and drive illegally.

I really think, if someone has that little regard for the lives of others, they should face jail time. Period. Not even a question of a citation. Text and drive once? Lose your license for a period of time and pay a fine (thousands). Twice? Lose your license, car and pay a huge fine (tens of thousands). Third time? Behind bars.

EDIT: It's more than reasonable. Here in Manitoba, if you are caught driving drunk, you lose you license for a year, your car gets impounded for 30-180 days (at your cost) and you have to take these "courses" that teach you about why you shouldn't drive drunk (at your cost). For someone who drives for a living, or even has a serious commute, they are completely and totally fucked... yet they still do it.

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 quatoe

@foxhound_fox: I agree with everything you said, especially the jail time for the dangerous driving offences. I too know people who had their license taken away due to drunk driving, speeding and the like. Once they got their licenses back it was the same as before, with my buddy actually driving under the influence more often now then before even though he lost his license for a year and his car impounded. I agree that the amount of fine is reasonable for texting and driving, but I think like you said jail time will help with the problem more so. I live in Saskatchewan so I can see why we think why we do about the topic.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@emil_fontz said:

If empirical data is to be used as a basis for legislation, then persons under at least the age of majority should be prohibited from driving, though the limit should actually be set to twenty five (the age when the Human brain stops maturing).

I think that age for maturity refers only to the male brain. Female brains mature faster.