Bumped a parked car can i get in trouble?

Mjsmommy0928

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mjsmommy0928
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

The car was a suv parked in a compact car spot i bumped it and i did leave a note and was at the location for 2 hrs noone ever showed i had to leave, i had my kids,what if they call the cops .

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

If you left a note with contact information then you shouldn't be in any trouble.

If the police are involved then they'll likely accept that you exchange insurance info and leave it at that, though the other part might get talked to for wasting police time on something you two could arrange over the phone or in person.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jak42
Member since 2016 • 1093 Posts

You did leave contact information, over bumping into an empty parked car. Usually if there aren't any witnesses or cameras in a parking lot/garage. There isn't any way to prove the accident happened for unoccupied vehicles. At least for minor accidents. So many of those cases get left alone. Leaving contact information is a nice gesture.

I would consider talking to an insurance agent. Perhaps not your personal one. Maybe your fault could be cancelled out by the fact the suv wasn't suppose to park there. And he was encroaching into your already parked spot. But if you didn't take pics, then there's no evidence to what actually happened. Take my suggestion here with a grain of salt though. But he/she shouldn't be trying to hustle you for $300+, based on what your telling us. Maybe even much less than that.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Jail time.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@jak42 said:

Maybe your fault could be cancelled out by the fact the suv wasn't suppose to park there.

It's not. He hit a parked car. Even if the car were physically blocking his car from leaving, that doesn't give you the right to ram someone else's car. It gives you the right to call the cops on the illegally parked car.

-Byshop

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

I hope you like taste of prison food and penis.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts

@bmanva said:

I hope you like taste of prison food and penis.

well, the name is mjsmommy so it's possible half of that is true already....

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jak42

@Byshop said:
@jak42 said:

Maybe your fault could be cancelled out by the fact the suv wasn't suppose to park there.

It's not. He hit a parked car. Even if the car were physically blocking his car from leaving, that doesn't give you the right to ram someone else's car. It gives you the right to call the cops on the illegally parked car.

-Byshop

Well so much for that.

Jak42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jak42

@thegerg said:

I'm not sure what body shop you use, but having even one panel properly repaired and painted easily costs more than $300.

Maybe. But there's no pics to really get a glimpse of how much damage was done and where. Unless the OP ram the gas peddle trying to get out in one shot. There may be no more than some cosmetic scratches. All the OP states is he bumped into the other car. Which is subjective to what exactly does he mean by a bump, since there's no other information posted.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

No you can't get in trouble and probably won't hear back unless you ran into a dishonest person. Should have taken pictures of the car where you bumped it though.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LJS9502_basic

@thegerg said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

No you can't get in trouble and probably won't hear back unless you ran into a dishonest person. Should have taken pictures of the car where you bumped it though.

Just curious, what's dishonest about a person reaching out to another that claimed to hit their car?

Claiming damages that aren't there...........

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic

@thegerg said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@thegerg said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Just curious, what's dishonest about a person reaching out to another that claimed to hit their car?

Claiming damages that aren't there...........

Claiming damages exist that don't exist would be dishonest. What I'm asking about is OP's situation. He hit a parked car. How would that car's owner contacting him be dishonest?

Well I never said that so............

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 LJS9502_basic

@thegerg said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Well I never said that so............

You said "you. . . probably won't hear back unless you ran into a dishonest person."

Why would the car's owner be dishonest for contacting OP?

Not what I said. Take your semantics elsewhere. Not into that boring suck hole you call a discussion.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#22 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Waiting 2 hours was more than most would do in that situation, and leaving contact details was a nice gesture you're unlikely to be in any trouble. You will probably have a claim put against your insurance by the owner of the car.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

My car got hit a couple weeks ago while parked and nobody left anything. There is nothing I can do besides file a claim with insurance to get it fixed, and be out money out of my own pocket (and increased rates as a result). You went well above and beyond what most people would do. Feel proud of being a decent human being.

edwarddabbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By edwarddabbs
Member since 2017 • 3 Posts

Bumped into the car was wrong, but leaving a note with your contact detail is really nice of you. Someone else must have left right away after bumping into the car.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

You'll want to leave your contact information. Try to handle small collisions (small amounts of scratched paint) out of pocket. If it was a small bump, reporting it to insurance (regardless if you were at fault or not) is going to raise your rates and count towards an accident. Even if it's just some paint damage that instantly buffs and polishes out, it will always be more costly in the long run to go through insurance if reporting tiny things.