Building an eCommerce site for a small business

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by taiwwa (301 posts) -

I'm in the process of shopping for one. The first place I went was GoDaddy.com but I've heard some bad things about it and anyways, it's smart to shop around.

I'm not very good at web design. I just want to build a site that's like a lite version of newegg or tigerdirect, using some pre-built package.

Recommendations? I hear a few pitfalls include some hosting sites that help you design the site make it so the site itself is not portable outside of their servers. Also, the issue of security is a concern. 

I  wonder if anyone has built like a desktop application that acts sort of like a client manager for one of those websites. I mean, I'd readily buy a boxed piece of software that cost like $150 if it made building a website as easy as like Quicken makes taxes.

#2 Posted by Ernesto_basic (2123 posts) -

I'm in the process of shopping for one. The first place I went was GoDaddy.com but I've heard some bad things about it and anyways, it's smart to shop around.

I'm not very good at web design. I just want to build a site that's like a lite version of newegg or tigerdirect, using some pre-built package.

Recommendations? I hear a few pitfalls include some hosting sites that help you design the site make it so the site itself is not portable outside of their servers. Also, the issue of security is a concern. 

I  wonder if anyone has built like a desktop application that acts sort of like a client manager for one of those websites. I mean, I'd readily buy a boxed piece of software that cost like $150 if it made building a website as easy as like Quicken makes taxes.

taiwwa

GoDaddy.com will satisfy any domain registration requirements you may have, but aside from that, I'd look elsewhere for you site. One option would be www.wix.com, an intuitive HTML5 site builder that requires very little working-knowledge of web development. Wix provides you with a number of things you'll need, such as inventory managment, shopping-cart scripts and more. Depending on the complexity of your solution, you may want to hire a professional developer... or get really well-acquanted with PHP, MySQL, CSS3, Adobe Photoshop and a few other skills you'll need to do it the old-fashioned way.

For my business, I've used a combination of everything listed.

#3 Posted by taiwwa (301 posts) -

Thanks for the reply.

Specifically, I'm looking for a platform with a desktop client.

I...simply would feel more comfortable managing a website from a desktop client rather than a web app. Also, web apps tend to be noticably slower, and you can't right click.

#4 Posted by Ernesto_basic (2123 posts) -

Thanks for the reply.

Specifically, I'm looking for a platform with a desktop client.

I...simply would feel more comfortable managing a website from a desktop client rather than a web app. Also, web apps tend to be noticably slower, and you can't right click.

taiwwa

Well, as far as what you're talking about, there's probably no greater solution than Adobe Dreamweaver (if you aren't against the cost, I'd go with the entire Adobe CS6 Suite -- I got it and LOVE IT).

#5 Posted by jhonechris (3 posts) -
Send flowers with Shakesperry flower app! Free e greeting card gift app when you need to send flowers to someone. Create your own flowers for free e greeting cards to gift for friends. Post flowers to Facebook, post flowers on Twitter, or send flowers by email. Flowers app for iPhone and will be soon available to send flowers on iPad and an Android flower app. Need to send flowers to a friend or looking for flowers to send to a girl? Send a flower arrangement in a vase or a flower basket. Post flowers to friends for their birthdays for a special e greeting message. Send free flowers for Mothers Day. Create your own unique bouquet! Send a dozen red roses, pink carnations, or yellow tulips. Add some babys breath or foliage. Send a cactus! Lots of fun flower app options! Download Shakesperry flowers app for FREE and start sending free egreetings as pretty as poetry. http://shakesperry.com/ info@shakesperry.com