British Technology; Blackest Material

#1 Edited by playmynutz (6215 posts) -

British tech company Surrey Nanosystems says it's developed the world's blackest material: made of carbon nanotubes, it can absorb 99.96 percent of light that hits it.

#2 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13295 posts) -

@playmynutz said:

it can absorb 99.96 percent of light that hits it.

Can it absorb coyotes?

#3 Edited by lamprey263 (24662 posts) -

I feel there's something wrong about this story. Carbon nanotubes status as the blackest material has been known for years. This company making them though, that might be newsworthy to an extent if say it's gonna have an impact on the price of the materials. Carbon nanotube ink isn't cheap yet, but years ago I heard a scientist say he thinks they can get really cheap if there's more industry wide use of them and there's higher production demand.

If British technology has impressed me lately it's that I heard they're planning on developing a commercial space port by 2018. That itself deserves a thread.

#4 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58226 posts) -

I've burned cookies that were blacker than that.

#5 Posted by Star0 (443 posts) -

*insert customary racist joke here*

#6 Posted by JohnF111 (14104 posts) -

So where are the white nanotubes?.. What's a cracker got to do to get some attention!

*awaits BlurayHiDef to enter thread*

#7 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151872 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit said:

@playmynutz said:

it can absorb 99.96 percent of light that hits it.

Can it absorb coyotes?

No love for the coyotes?

#8 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

Why not the other .04%?

#9 Posted by chaplainDMK (6877 posts) -

@SolidSnake35 said:

I've burned cookies that were blacker than that.

While the joke is funny, the picture can't show how black it is because your monitor cannot absorb so much light. Basically it's like watching a 4k video on a 1024x768 monitor :D

#10 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

Can they somehow use this in the manufacturing of bedroom curtains? I'd love to sleep in on a Saturday morning with these badboys blocking out the sun from my windows.

#11 Posted by chaplainDMK (6877 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

Can they somehow use this in the manufacturing of bedroom curtains? I'd love to sleep in on a Saturday morning with these badboys blocking out the sun from my windows.

Light absorption has very little to do with actual translucency or anything like that :D

#12 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

@chaplainDMK said:

@jasean79 said:

Light absorption has very little to do with actual translucency or anything like that :D

Darn. Well, I thought I was on to something. lol

#13 Edited by br0kenrabbit (13295 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

No love for the coyotes?

I'm just wondering if they've reached their design goal.

#14 Edited by lamprey263 (24662 posts) -

@JohnF111 said:

So where are the white nanotubes?.. What's a cracker got to do to get some attention!

Titanium dioxide, and if you live in the US you've probably ingested more than your fair share. I've read recently how the dairy industry has been secretly putting it into milk to make it whiter. It came up in some article I read a little while back on the health effects of working with unknown nano-materials.

Though, I don't think it's toxic. Titanium forms such a strong bond with oxygen that it's very difficult to extract titanium from natural sources. And there's a good abundance of titanium naturally, the reason it costs so much is because it's difficult to separate from oxygen; so as far as titanium dioxide being introduced to the human body it's for the most part inert (I assume).