Bridemaids Director in talks for Ghostbusters Reboot

#1 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14401 posts) -

Well, this is out of the blue.

According to Variety, Bridesmaids and The Heat director Paul Feig is being approached by Sony Pictures to possibly produce and helm a possible reboot of Ghostbusters, featuring an all women team. The news comes as word that Ivan Reitman, the director of the first two films and slated to direct Ghostbusters 3, has dropped out of the project. I guess Sony seriously wants to get this franchise going again in one form or another.

And before anyone gets upset of yet another remake/reboot/rehash/rerun, take heart--the original film will be back in theaters this Labor Day weekend in honor of the film's 30th anniversary.

What's your take on the news?

#2 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26050 posts) -

Honestly couldn't care less. Not a huge fan of the original two, though they are enjoyable. I do like the idea of a female cast, which would bring not just a new set of actors but a different perspective to the cases.

#3 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14401 posts) -

Honestly couldn't care less. Not a huge fan of the original two, though they are enjoyable. I do like the idea of a female cast, which would bring not just a new set of actors but a different perspective to the cases.

At least it would be better than trying to get the original cast together again. Hell, they've been trying to do that for the past 15-20 years or so to no avail. Would be interesting if this comes to fruition.

#4 Posted by Master_Live (14191 posts) -

And this is why we fail.

#5 Posted by thehig1 (1400 posts) -

Reboots lately have not been encouraging, films like total recall and robocop remakes were garbage.

#6 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (14401 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

And this is why we fail.

I think Sony is doing what they can to get some money for their movie division. It looks like they had an overall weak summer, and Spider-Man 2 didn't pull in the money they expected--in fact, it wound up being the lowest grossing installment to date, so it doesn't surprise me they might do this. Maybe it's me, but I don't get upset over remakes or reboots anymore.

#7 Edited by Master_Live (14191 posts) -

So lets cast this:

• Melissa McCarthy: (for all the fat/marshmallow jokes).
  • Tina Fey: (the bitch, maybe gay/bi? So hot.).
  • Leslie Mann/Amy Poehler: (maybe the dumb blond?).
  • Halle Berry: (they will want "diversity" plus it isn't like she has anything better to do).

Plus Bill Murray or Dan Aykroyd as the mentor and link to the original series.

#8 Posted by Master_Live (14191 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

And this is why we fail.

I think Sony is doing what they can to get some money for their movie division. It looks like they had an overall weak summer, and Spider-Man 2 didn't pull in the money they expected--in fact, it wound up being the lowest grossing installment to date, so it doesn't surprise me. Maybe it's me, but I don't get upset over remakes or reboots anymore.

I do get upset at remakes/reboots of good movies if I like the originals. Just waiting for the Rocky remake and the sub sequential bomb threats for whatever sorry excuse of a studio decides that was a good idea.

#9 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14401 posts) -

So lets cast this:

• Melissa McCarthy: (for all the fat/marshmallow jokes).
  • Tina Fey: (the bitch).
  • Leslie Mann/Amy Poehler: (maybe the dumb blond?).
  • Halle Berry: (they will want "diversity" plus it isn't like she has anything better to do).

Plus Bill Murray or Dan Aykroyd as the mentor and link to the original series.

If this does go through, I doubt anyone involved with the original films will be involved, especially if it's going the reboot route.

#10 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14401 posts) -

@hallenbeck77 said:

@Master_Live said:

And this is why we fail.

I think Sony is doing what they can to get some money for their movie division. It looks like they had an overall weak summer, and Spider-Man 2 didn't pull in the money they expected--in fact, it wound up being the lowest grossing installment to date, so it doesn't surprise me. Maybe it's me, but I don't get upset over remakes or reboots anymore.

I do get upset at remakes/reboots of good movies if I like the originals. Just waiting for the Rocky remake and the sub sequential bomb threats for whatever sorry excuse of a studio decides that was a good idea.

It's not as if they're getting rid of the original source material once the rebooted versions of movies come out, they're always going to be available in one form or another. If it doesn't look interesting, I just won't see it and I'll stick with the original. Simple.

#11 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26050 posts) -

So lets cast this:

Considering these would be new recruits most likely, and not 40+ year olds, I'd go more: Kristen Schaal, Jenny Slate, Rebel Wilson, Ellie Kemper, Teyonah Parris.

#12 Posted by ferrari2001 (16815 posts) -

Just wouldn't be Ghostbusters without Bill Murray.

#13 Edited by indzman (17245 posts) -

Well, this is out of the blue.

According to Variety, Bridesmaids and The Heat director Paul Feig is being approached by Sony Pictures to possibly produce and helm a possible reboot of Ghostbusters, featuring an all women team. The news comes as word that Ivan Reitman, the director of the first two films and slated to direct Ghostbusters 3, has dropped out of the project. I guess Sony seriously wants to get this franchise going again in one form or another.

And before anyone gets upset of yet another remake/reboot/rehash/rerun, take heart--the original film will be back in theaters this Labor Day weekend in honor of the film's 30th anniversary.

What's your take on the news?

Woman cast ?.Hope Sigourney Weaver gets a fleshy role in it tho. If its made with that overated Melissa Mccarthy ( The Heat ) i'm not even gonna watch it as i can't stand her at all. PLUS It will not be same without Bill Murray , Harold Ramis ( RIP) and Dan Arkyod. Loved the orginals and always hoped for a return to a trilogy.

#14 Posted by PurpleLabel (301 posts) -

We should cast a black woman, a latino man, a chinese woman, a jewish man, an arab man, and have half of them be gay or at least curious.

Lets hit every demographic and be progressive! Right into the shitter we go!

#15 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (14401 posts) -

@indzman said:

Woman cast ?.Hope Sigourney Weaver gets a fleshy role in it tho. If its made with that overated Melissa Mccarthy ( The Heat ) i'm not even gonna watch it as i can't stand her at all. PLUS It will not be same without Bill Murray , Harold Ramis ( RIP) and Dan Arkyod. Loved the orginals and always hoped for a return to a trilogy.

They've been trying to push that third film for years. Now with Ramis gone, so is any chance of getting a movie with the original cast and crew. Even Ivan Reitman has moved on, so if there is any chance of a new Ghostbusters film, the only logical step would be a reboot. There's still a chance this won't even happen at all.

#16 Posted by coasterguy65 (5880 posts) -

No reboot...let it rest...Seriously stop with the reboot / remake crap Hollywood.

#17 Posted by Aljosa23 (24750 posts) -

Utterly fucking pointless. The second film was so lame and this could only be worse. If anyone wants Ghostbusters 3 that badly they should play the recent game, it's basically 3.

#18 Posted by indzman (17245 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

Utterly fucking pointless. The second film was so lame and this could only be worse. If anyone wants Ghostbusters 3 that badly they should play the recent game, it's basically 3.

Haven't played the recent Ghostbusters game , hows the game ?

#19 Posted by xdude85 (4344 posts) -

Sounds really shitty.

#20 Posted by iwilson1296 (2214 posts) -

No reboot...let it rest...Seriously stop with the reboot / remake crap Hollywood.

agreed, but of course it was just a matter of time since hollywood rarely takes chances making anything original now