Brain surgeon claims afterlife exists.

• 119 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FMAB_GTO
Member since 2010 • 14385 Posts
A Harvard-educated neurosurgeon had a change of heart after he had his own near-death experience. Dr Eben Alexander had previously dismissed the idea of there being an afterlife until he slipped in to a coma in 2008 after contracting meningitis. What followed was an experience that would change his outlook forever and turn him from a skeptic in to a believer. He described it as "something so profound that it gave me a scientific reason to believe in consciousness after death." During the coma he remembered meeting a beautiful woman with blue eyes in an environment filled with clouds and 'shimmering beings'. "A huge and booming like a glorious chant, came down from above, and I wondered if the winged beings were producing it," he added. "The sound was palpable and almost material, like a rain that you can feel on your skin but doesn't get you wet." linky Now before you say thing about me,I am being subjective,I just found this and it seemed interesting,so I hope not a single post is about "TC" in this thread >.>
Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Bane_09
Member since 2010 • 3394 Posts

I've seen this story before and it's interesting, nothing more

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
And Einstein believed in a non-personal God.
johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

It would be great if it' s true and he did witness afterlife but you can' t just blindly believe him. First of all afterlife is for when you die which he didn' t as he was in a coma. And second it could be just dreams or sideeffects from medication and coma.

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
well there's only one way to find out if he is right..and I am in no rush to do so...
FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FMAB_GTO

It would be great if it' s true and he did witness afterlife but you can' t just blindly believe him. First of all afterlife is for when you die which he didn' t as he was in a coma. And second it could be just dreams or sideeffects from medication and coma.

johnd13
True~ I can say anything,for example I know a guy who was in a coma once,he became sooo good after he woke up because he said that he saw hell in his coma O.O True story. But yet you can't deny that not everyone in a coma acts like that after they woke up eh =/ ....barely anyone actually >.>
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
He can believe whatever he wants, but a guy who changed his opinion because of something that happened while his brain wasn't functioning properly isn't going to change anything I believe in
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Highly educated people can be idiots too.
Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bane_09

[QUOTE="johnd13"]

FMAB_GTO

True~ I can say anything,for example I know a guy who was in a coma once,he became sooo good after he woke up because he said that he saw hell in his coma O.O True story. But yet you can't deny that not everyone in a coma acts like that after they woke up eh =/ ....barely anyone actually >.>

Their brain most likely just produces images of what they expect to see, Hindus and Buddhists have very different near death experiences than Christians

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

[QUOTE="johnd13"]

FMAB_GTO

Who knows? Maybe some people' s subconscious takes control while in a coma so when they finally wake up they realize things they had no idea of before and look to something otherwordly to find an explanation (afterlife,hell whatever). Still it is fascinating how complex the human mind is and life/existence in general.

Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts

Harvard educated! Well he must be right!

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts
I believe it when I see it myself.. until then.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178832 Posts

[QUOTE="FMAB_GTO"][QUOTE="johnd13"]

Bane_09

Their brain most likely just produces images of what they expect to see, Hindus and Buddhists have very different near death experiences than Christians

Do you take comfort in that idea?
FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FMAB_GTO

Bane_09
I see,well I dunno much about brains unfortunately =/

Who knows? Maybe some people' s subconscious takes control while in a coma so when they finally wake up they realize things they had no idea of before and look to something otherwordly to find an explanation (afterlife,hell whatever). Still it is fascinating how complex the human mind is and life/existence in general.

johnd13
The brain is sooooo magnificent indeed!
Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bane_09

[QUOTE="Bane_09"]

[QUOTE="FMAB_GTO"] True~ I can say anything,for example I know a guy who was in a coma once,he became sooo good after he woke up because he said that he saw hell in his coma O.O True story. But yet you can't deny that not everyone in a coma acts like that after they woke up eh =/ ....barely anyone actually >.>LJS9502_basic

What?:? what is there to take comfort in? I am a psyc major so this is what we learn, if you have a problem with it and think it's false just say so. Otherwise I am not really sure what point you are trying to make?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="FMAB_GTO"] I see,well I dunno much about brains unfortunately =/

Neither does he. It's what he wants to believe.
Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bane_09

[QUOTE="FMAB_GTO"] I see,well I dunno much about brains unfortunately =/ LJS9502_basic

Hmm I don't really get why you feel the need to be rude but good for you bud

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Bane_09"]

Bane_09

What?:? what is there to take comfort in? I am a psyc major so this is what we learn, if you have a problem with it and think it's false just say so. Otherwise I am not really sure what point you are trying to make?

So science trying to fit what is experienced then? Enough people have had similar experiences be it the white light or seeing themselves as though they are a third party observer to just dismiss it out of hand. That's what I think anyway. And that would be more in line with how scientific studies are done. Don't dismiss what isn't understood. Unless those psych teachers have died and come back to life....I don't consider them to be experts. But hey.....whatever helps you sleep.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[QUOTE="Bane_09"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Do you take comfort in that idea?LJS9502_basic

So science trying to fit what is experienced then? Enough people have had similar experiences be it the white light or seeing themselves as though they are a third party observer to just dismiss it out of hand. That's what I think anyway. And that would be more in line with how scientific studies are done. Don't dismiss what isn't understood. Unless those psych teachers have died and come back to life....I don't consider them to be experts. But hey.....whatever helps you sleep.

I've heard that it's a chemical reaction that occurs in your brain under certain circumstances (near death, for example). It's not so much unlike a dream...no?

Bane_09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Bane_09

[QUOTE="Bane_09"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Do you take comfort in that idea?LJS9502_basic

What do you think psychology is? A great deal of it has to do with our perceptions and sensations of the world. It's very easy to simulate near death experiences

And I'm not just dismissing it out of hand, you act like there has never been a study done on near death experiences. It is understood, just because you don't understand it doesn't mean everyone else doesn't

Lucid dreaming can also simulate things like third party observation and white light.

And why do you keep saying it helps me sleep?:| That part literally makes no sense, I am just reiterating what psychology has taught us about near death experiences, maybe you should do some research before you decide to attack someone for having a different belief than you

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Bane_09"]

KHAndAnime

I've heard that it's a chemical reaction that occurs in your brain under certain circumstances (near death, for example). It's not so much unlike a dream...no?

You know that can be flipped that experience causes the chemical reaction. Same thing with making love a mere chemical reaction. The opposite side can be true as well......
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
So a coma victim that DID NOT believe in god was able to go straight to heaven and then come back to the real world..... sounds legit
EatShanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 EatShanna
Member since 2008 • 875 Posts
I'm supposed to believe him because he's a neurosurgeon AND Harvard educated? It's like that lawyer who claims he time traveled. You have to believe him, he's a lawyer, they never lie about anything!
junglist101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 junglist101
Member since 2007 • 5517 Posts

Who knows what the brain does when the body is comatose...This wouldn't be the first time someone had a visceral hallucination or dream comatose or not. That doesn't mean there is an afterlife...

SouL-Tak3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 SouL-Tak3R
Member since 2005 • 4024 Posts

Interesting. I still don't know. I don't believe in a religion. But that doesn't mean the universe didn't create the afterlife(s)

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

[QUOTE="FMAB_GTO"] I see,well I dunno much about brains unfortunately =/ LJS9502_basic

Except the post above says he's a psych major.

MannyDelgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MannyDelgado
Member since 2011 • 1187 Posts
Enough people have had similar experiences be it the white light or seeing themselves as though they are a third party observer to just dismiss it out of hand.LJS9502_basic
Why is it important that people have similar experiences? Up to a point, everyone has a pretty similar brain; is there any reason why, if those experiences were purely illusory, we should expect them to be highly diverse?
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
So is God black or white?
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TacticalDesire

So is God black or white?Fightingfan

You're asking the wrong question. Was God a man or a woman?

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]So is God black or white?TacticalDesire

That's not up for debate, obviously a man since women are 2nd class in the bible.
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TacticalDesire

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]So is God black or white?Fightingfan

That's not up for debate, obviously a man since women are 2nd class in the bible.

What if God's a tranny?

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#33 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]So is God black or white?Fightingfan

zing
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#34 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Lots of people do, from all walks of life and all types of education. I don't see how this is news just because he's a brain surgeon, they aren't all Atheists with God complexes you know.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Fightingfan

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

TacticalDesire

What if God's a tranny?

Hates gays too.
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TacticalDesire

[QUOTE="TacticalDesire"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] That's not up for debate, obviously a man since women are 2nd class in the bible. Fightingfan

What if God's a tranny?

Hates gays too.

Certainly making God sound like a d*ck. Hopefully if there is one he/she/it is not too similar to how God is represented in the Bible.

Chicken453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Chicken453
Member since 2011 • 2038 Posts
But i wanted to be reincarnated as Panda :I
Omega-316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Omega-316
Member since 2011 • 981 Posts

Sounds like a DMT experience. You see what you want to believe. He didnt die so he didnt see the after life.

TopTierHustler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TopTierHustler
Member since 2012 • 3894 Posts

Embarassing, he of all people should know the body dumps all it's serotonin and dopamine at once when the body dies causing hallucinations.

DJ419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DJ419
Member since 2005 • 1016 Posts

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that he's trying to sell a book. That's all I need to know.

kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

Beautiful story, thank you for posting FMAB :)

FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FMAB_GTO

Beautiful story, thank you for posting FMAB :)

kingkong0124
You're welcome! ;')
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Nothing nobody on LSD hasn't already seen. Shame he's a brain surgeon and doesn't understand what the brain does when dying

kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

Nothing nobody on LSD hasn't already seen. Shame he's a brain surgeon and doesn't understand what the brain does when dying

wis3boi

Pretty sure he understands more than you.

norm41x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 norm41x
Member since 2011 • 813 Posts

Cool. I read this on yahoo like 3 days ago.

TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

If he wants help killing himself ill be glad to help!

brucewayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 brucewayne69
Member since 2012 • 2864 Posts

TehFuneral
I'm pretty sure people can go to jail for saying that. And I forget, in the article, did it say his brain shut down? Just curious. I'm not sure what to make of it. I hope that he isn't deluded or lying, because that certainly would be amazing. Does anybody remember the kid who said he went to Heaven, and then came back and knew about his aborted sister and stuff? I really hope that these aren't just people cashing in, but I dunno.
JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#48 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
That's the brain for you. He had an incredibly long dream and his brain was so shut down that it had the ability to be very vivid. Yes I'm a Neurologist.
MannyDelgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 MannyDelgado
Member since 2011 • 1187 Posts
I hope that he isn't deluded or lying, because that certainly would be amazing.brucewayne69
'Course he isn't deluded! Who ever heard of humans having vivid hallucinations while unconscious?
TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

[QUOTE="TehFuneral"]

brucewayne69

I'm pretty sure people can go to jail for saying that.

Huh?