Books vs. Video Games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by babyjesus87 (421 posts) -

Positives of Books

-can gain limitless ammounts of knowledge from them

-entertaining

-reading them can make you more inteligent

-cheap

-stimulate thought

-reading them is very productive overall

-can be the topic of intelectual conversations

-can be very influential on society

Negatives of Books

-can be very time consuming for a slow reader

Positives of Video Games

-Entertaining

-improve hand eye cordination

-Can be played socially

Negatives of Video Games

-Don't gain a whole lot from playing them

-Very expensive

-Can be very time consuming

So obviously books win... So why do so many people choose to spend their free time playing video games rather than reading books?

#2 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58110 posts) -
Video games are more fun. As much as I like books, they don't compare.
#3 Posted by Thorpe89 (19548 posts) -
I will always love video games. Why do you think I am on GameSpot?
#4 Posted by easteast (6407 posts) -
Video games are more fun. As much as I like books, they don't compare.SolidSnake35
I agree. Books are nice (Most, at least...), but video games are much more entertaining.
#5 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24964 posts) -
I play them because I have the freedom to. Besides, neither books nor video games win, it's all a matter of opinion.
#6 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58110 posts) -
I will always love video games. Why do you think I am on GameSpot?Thorpe89
Maybe you came to check it out after seeing a link on BookSpot. >_>
#7 Posted by babyjesus87 (421 posts) -

I play them because I have the freedom to. Besides, neither books nor video games win, it's all a matter of opinion.THE_DRUGGIE

I disagree, books are clearly superior to video games.

#8 Posted by kingamez (6887 posts) -
Most of us will like Video Games better becuase are all at a video game forum.
#9 Posted by Media_geek20 (6491 posts) -
Books and video games are alike, just in a differnt form of medium. Good books and good video games can both generate intellectual discussion, both can be social, both are entertaining and both are good for your mind. Trashy books and video games are simply for entertainment.
#10 Posted by Dr_Neptune (510 posts) -
for me there is no comparison. i would much sooner give up video games than books, as i spend maybe 2 or more hours a day reading them.
#11 Posted by babyjesus87 (421 posts) -

Most of us will like Video Games better becuase are all at a video game forum.kingamez

Just because we are on a video game forum doesn't mean that everyone here is going to value video games over everything else in life. For instance, if we were to take a poll of sex vs video games, im sure an overwhelming majority of the users would choose sex. Your logic is flawed.

#12 Posted by ayanami_rei (17115 posts) -

You can learn some words from videogames, such as dastard and echelon. >__>

I love videogames though and I love books. I'm going to see if my mom will let me order some books soon.

#13 Posted by Devouring_One (32311 posts) -
It depends on what type of person you are. If you like to take the time to think thenI guess you like to read. video games are just easy to get into and fast. Reading takes up time and thinking. Also, video games can help improve the way you think.
#14 Posted by skullkrusher13 (8629 posts) -
because I don't like to read if I don't have to.
#15 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24964 posts) -

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]I play them because I have the freedom to. Besides, neither books nor video games win, it's all a matter of opinion.babyjesus87

Not necessarily. The matter of video games improving hand-eye coordination as well as being able to form bonds with others via multiplayer or internet play says otherwise. Sure, books can have many psychological positives, but video games can accomidate those positives as well.

For example, some video games give you the option of strategy, such asan RTS. The RTS would require you to manage your population while, at the same time, expaniding it. This increases problem solving skills as well as mathematics, and other feilds.

ome RPGs have elements that makes the battles play out like a game of chess. This means that you would have to look ahead of time and contemplate the consequences and benefits of your next turn. While you can get the same kind of pshychological development from playing chess, it is certainly more entertaining.

In all, neither is better than the other, and judging by your original post, you seem to be a bit close-minded about the subject.

#16 Posted by Sim_genius (9562 posts) -
I find both really entertaining.
#17 Posted by babyjesus87 (421 posts) -

Books and video games are alike, just in a differnt form of medium. Good books and good video games can both generate intellectual discussion, both can be social, both are entertaining and both are good for your mind. Trashy books and video games are simply for entertainment. Media_geek20

Fair enough. Now can you name me a video game that compares on an intellectual level (or can spark just as intellectual of a discussion) with say, Platos Republic, or Darwins Origin of speices (weather you believe in it or not)?

#18 Posted by Media_geek20 (6491 posts) -

[QUOTE="Media_geek20"]Books and video games are alike, just in a differnt form of medium. Good books and good video games can both generate intellectual discussion, both can be social, both are entertaining and both are good for your mind. Trashy books and video games are simply for entertainment. babyjesus87

Fair enough. Now can you name me a video game that compares on an intellectual level (or can spark just as intellectual of a discussion) with say, Platos Republic, or Darwins Origin of speices (weather you believe in it or not)?

You have to find the right games, just as with books. For example, Rez, Star Flight, and...*points to sig*

#19 Posted by Ryeferd (5198 posts) -
well, the last time i cracked open a book was almost two years ago in 11th grade, and the last time I played a video game was yesterday...I'm going with video games on this one.
#20 Posted by babyjesus87 (421 posts) -
[QUOTE="babyjesus87"]

[QUOTE="Media_geek20"]Books and video games are alike, just in a differnt form of medium. Good books and good video games can both generate intellectual discussion, both can be social, both are entertaining and both are good for your mind. Trashy books and video games are simply for entertainment. Media_geek20

You have to find the right games, just as with books. For example, Rez, Star Flight, and...*points to sig*

And what exactly has "Rez" done to bennefit man kind?

#21 Posted by princemarth23 (9229 posts) -
Video Games are more fun..I like to read a good book sure, but I would rather spend my free time playing a game over reading (if those were the only 2 options).
#22 Posted by guynamedbilly (12965 posts) -

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]I play them because I have the freedom to. Besides, neither books nor video games win, it's all a matter of opinion.babyjesus87

Why? It all depends on what you read. Someone who reads novels or fiction all the time will gain no more useful knowledge than someone who plays GTA all the time.

On the other hand someone who plays complex games such as Flight Simulator, Age of Empires, Tycoon games, Multiplayer games, can gain valuable skills in piloting, history/problem solving, economics/business design, and conversation/social skills, just like they could from a self help book.

#23 Posted by MarchOfThePigs (1766 posts) -
i love game but books are so mutch better
#24 Posted by guynamedbilly (12965 posts) -
[QUOTE="Media_geek20"][QUOTE="babyjesus87"]

[QUOTE="Media_geek20"]Books and video games are alike, just in a differnt form of medium. Good books and good video games can both generate intellectual discussion, both can be social, both are entertaining and both are good for your mind. Trashy books and video games are simply for entertainment. babyjesus87

And what exactly has "Rez" done to bennefit man kind?

Gaming is a new medium. Give it 150+ years and we'll see what can be done...

#25 Posted by nintendo_fan675 (14578 posts) -
I love books and video games but I don't have that much time for a lot of books
#26 Posted by Juventus_10 (95 posts) -
Video games are better than books because they offer a more interactive experience. In a way playing video games is a more evolved form of reading. Also books can be boring and induce fatigue, I have never been tired after playing a video game.
#27 Posted by lol_waffles (1826 posts) -
Books and videogames are both great.
#28 Posted by solidgamer (7542 posts) -
im on this site should tell u enough
#29 Posted by Media_geek20 (6491 posts) -

And what exactly has "Rez" done to bennefit man kind?babyjesus87

When was I talking about benefiting humans? We were on the topic of intellectual discussion.

#30 Posted by DJ-PRIME90 (11292 posts) -
Is this a serious question?:lol:

What type of GS poster would say a book is more fun than a video game:lol:
#31 Posted by zakkro (48823 posts) -
They aren't really comparable, sorry.
#32 Posted by kirbyfanatic (2685 posts) -
nothing beats picture books
#33 Posted by turgore (7859 posts) -
When you read yuo can't do anything else but while playing videogames you can still talk , fool around etc. O and video games are a million times more fun.
#34 Posted by fudg__er (1186 posts) -
books involve thinking -.-
#35 Posted by trophylocoste (8452 posts) -
Well rpg have dialouge so its kind of like a book cause most of them u had to read...Believe it or not while in first grade ff games helped me read better and made my vocabulary better
#36 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151400 posts) -
I like them both.....
#37 Posted by mastershake575 (8354 posts) -
it depends alot of people here will tell you video games because most of them are 12-30 but alot of adult perfer reading in there free time my parents have read like 4,000 books and lots of adult i know read alot