Boeing 777X jet secured for Seattle after union caves.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Master_Live (15289 posts) -

Boeing 777X jet secured for Seattle after workers vote

Those not happy with the benefit structure negotiated should feel free to find work elsewhere.

#2 Edited by Jd1680a (5949 posts) -

This great news really for the entire region of Pacific Northwest. It was only recently a Dubai airlines ordered $130 billion worth of 777x planes, that would mean billions of dollars flowing into the region's economy. If this had failed, it would have been very disappointing and the idea of moving production to other states without unions, the union members would be in a major loss.

#3 Posted by Aljosa23 (25631 posts) -

"The average wage is $29 an hour."

I'm usually on the side of the workers but to make $29 in this economy? Goodness gracious count your blessings. There's being reasonable but these workers just seem greedy.

#4 Posted by plageus900 (1174 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

I'm usually on the side of the workers but to make $29 in this economy? Goodness gracious count your blessings. There's being reasonable but these workers just seem greedy.

This.

$5220 a month is nothing to be unhappy about.

#5 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1750 posts) -

for now....

#6 Edited by GamingTitan (590 posts) -

yeah. im really glad they pulled their heads out of their asses. Boeing wasn't bluffing. they couldn't at this point cause if they did they would have lost all credibility.

#7 Posted by foxhound_fox (89837 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

Average. That means people could be making as much as $40-50 an hour. Unions seem to only ever suck the life out of everything.

#8 Posted by ferrari2001 (17152 posts) -

Good means more work for my town as well. While Spirit Aerosystems doesn't build the 777 it does produce pieces that will in turn be used on the 777. Meaning the sooner they get to work the sooner the workers in my town can get to work. And good God, crying because they are making $29 an hour and they don't get pensions. I only make $14 an hour and I'm extremely happy with that. I'd be ecstatic with $29 and hour.

#9 Posted by Jd1680a (5949 posts) -

What kind of pensions were they fighting for? Is it the kind that Boeing had to shell out billions of dollars a year to pay for to retirees?

#10 Posted by foxhound_fox (89837 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

And good God, crying because they are making $29 an hour and they don't get pensions. I only make $14 an hour and I'm extremely happy with that. I'd be ecstatic with $29 and hour.

I guess RRSP's must be out of the question for them.

#11 Edited by ferrari2001 (17152 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@ferrari2001 said:

And good God, crying because they are making $29 an hour and they don't get pensions. I only make $14 an hour and I'm extremely happy with that. I'd be ecstatic with $29 and hour.

I guess RRSP's must be out of the question for them.

Probably just to stupid to know what that is and how to obtain one. No one's stopping them from going to their local bank and getting a retirement plan started, although they should already have one at this point in their lives. I've already started my 401k and I'm only 23, I'll let that grow and if I leave my employer simply transfer it and continue to contribute when I'm able. It's their own damn faults for not planning appropriately.

#12 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

i mean

it was a cave but not a bad deal

their peeps are still paid well, and the stalling got them a few concessions

i think the major beef was moving retirement from pensions to 401(k)

but at $29/hr, you should be plenty fine