Black person arrested for making an expensive purchase.

• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

Two African-American customers have accused the high-end New York department store Barneys of racial profiling after they were detained for making expensive purchases. Trayon Christian, 19, was arrested moments after buying a $350 belt. Despite showing his ID and debit card to undercover officers, Christian was told the purchase was suspicious because he could not afford to make such an expensive purchase. Christian has filed a lawsuit against Barneys. Another African-American shopper has since come forward to say she endured a similar experience earlier this year.

Ahh...good ol' NYPD. Really, what would the city be without them? Anyway, I hope the victims get as much as they can from the lawsuit..

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/26/barneys-racial-profiling-al-sharpton

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/10/23/attorney-student-racially-profiled-by-barneys-nypd-after-buying-300-belt/

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/23/justice/new-york-profiling-lawsuit/

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#2 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

Sad yet funny at the same time.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

And yet some people still live under the delusion that racism is dead.

5dlrbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 5dlrbill
Member since 2012 • 103 Posts

wow...

Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

I find it suspicious that anyone would spend $350 on a belt.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

I thought you left

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Will have to do some independent research before I reach my conclusion on this matter

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

Anyone who spends $350 on a belt should be arrested.

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts

Wtf Barney's? you would think that as long as the card works (especially debit) that we would be delighted to ring it up.

Dumb move and now its gunna cost em~

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thebest31406

@dave123321: I did...for a moment. Then a mod responded to the thread and said that it was probably a glitch that occurred after the makeover so I apologized to him and the rest of the mods.

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

@Audacitron said:

I'm a Black male who resides in NYC. I can tell you from daily experience that a lot of young males (Black, Latino, Indian, etc) wear these multi-hundred dollar name-brand belts. My supervisor, who's Black, has a $500 Gucci belt. I guess it does seem ridiculous to those who aren't into that sort of stuff, but you have to try to understand why someone would spend that much money on something like that by comparing it to what you're interested in; people think us gamers are ridiculous for spending hundreds of dollars on consoles or thousands on gaming PCs.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16878 Posts

Looks like Jay-Z is feeling the pressure to break off promotional ties with Barney's.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@GamingTitan said:

Wtf Barney's? you would think that as long as the card works (especially debit) that we would be delighted to ring it up.

Well as long as the name and signature match the ID, there shouldn't have been any issue.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

I clicked expecting a felon buying a gun.

Profiling isn't against the law - don't see why he's suing. Besides, it's NY they don't care about your rights - same goes for Chicago.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thebest31406
@hallenbeck77 said:

Looks like Jay-Z is feeling the pressure to break off promotional ties with Barney's.

Willing to have 'open dialog' while maintaining the deal anyway. He should run for president.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

What dumb ass would spend that much on a belt?

I'm glad they were arrested.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I know one business I will not be shopping at.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Fuckin wit me cuz I'ma teenager, with a little bit o gold and a pager!

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

@BluRayHiDef said:

@Audacitron said:

I'm a Black male who resides in NYC. I can tell you from daily experience that a lot of young males (Black, Latino, Indian, etc) wear these multi-hundred dollar name-brand belts. My supervisor, who's Black, has a $500 Gucci belt. I guess it does seem ridiculous to those who aren't into that sort of stuff, but you have to try to understand why someone would spend that much money on something like that by comparing it to what you're interested in; people think us gamers are ridiculous for spending hundreds of dollars on consoles or thousands on gaming PCs.

A computer costs money to make the parts and ship them and pay RnD scientists and engineers to develop software and hardware.

A belt is a piece of plastic, metal and leather. It probably costs 10 dollars to produce in a sweat shop.

Anybody who is willing to pay such a wildly stupid mark up has no understanding of the value of money and deserves any karma they get.

StrifeDelivery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 StrifeDelivery
Member since 2006 • 1901 Posts

@lostrib said:

@GamingTitan said:

Well as long as the name and signature match the ID, there shouldn't have been any issue.

Pretty much this right here. Though the question remains on why they were even approached in the first place.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Glad the TC is so stupid that he doesn't even realize that the NYPD didn't make any arrests. Which is the reason why the lawsuits are against Barney's, not the NYPD.

The security guards at Barney's detained the individuals. The NYPD simply took them into custody pending charges being filed.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
Loading Video...

BluRayHiDef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 BluRayHiDef
Member since 2009 • 10839 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@Audacitron said:

A computer costs money to make the parts and ship them and pay RnD scientists and engineers to develop software and hardware.

A belt is a piece of plastic, metal and leather. It probably costs 10 dollars to produce in a sweat shop.

Anybody who is willing to pay such a wildly stupid mark up has no understanding of the value of money and deserves any karma they get.

I understand your point and even considered arguing it, but it fails to convey the point I really wanted to make, which is that the non-monetary value that people place on certain types of items is what drives them to purchase them (i.e. whether they really like it or not, regardless of the price). Furthermore, even though a belt is nothing more than a composition of plastic, metal and leather, it can be - depending on its price - a status symbol and a means of social advancement. For example, women tend to prefer men with money, so if they see a guy with a really expensive belt, they may be drawn to him because it's a sign that he has money. This can be a motivating factor as to why someone would spend such a ridiculous amount of money on a belt.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#25 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
@Nengo_Flow said:

I think its fucking stupid, but that's just me....

@BluRayHiDef said:

@Audacitron said:

At least my gaming PC serves multiple purposes. What a belt does is pretty limited. Thus, spending $350 on a belt is pretty much throwing money away....

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44548 Posts

I hope they get a phat payout so the store learns their lesson.

Still, why would the NYPD take them in, can't they simply look that the debit card and any drivers license or photo ID matches, say the store had no reason to detain them and let them go? If the NYPD took them in then I think the people should also sue the NYPD while they're at it.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@Audacitron said:

There's a huge difference between Gucci, True Religion, and your basic Chinese made clothing.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shottayouth13-

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@Audacitron said:

The belt isn't the issue. People waste their money on over priced things everyday (see just about every fucking rich person).

The issue is the racism at play.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

@Audacitron said:

Except that they aren't buying a belt, they're buying the prestige of being able to afford something with a certain name attached. You and I go out and look for a belt, other people go out and look for a STATUS SYMBOL. And yes, buying a status symbol is almost always gonna be expensive, because if it wasn't expensive then it wouldn't be a status symbol.

Now, you can of course say, "but it's stupid to buy status symbols." But wouldn't that be sort of contingent on you not having any use for them? At that point, it's sort of EXACTLY like someone who has no need for a computer saying that it's stupid to spend a lot of money on a computer.

But whether or not it's stupid to spend $350 on a belt is entirely beside the point. Maybe it was a stupid purchase and maybe it wasn't, but even if it was a stupid purchase then I'm sure all of us have been guilty of that at some point. Think back to the last stupid purchase you made and ask yourself this: did you get arrested? A company puts a product for sale, you have the money to buy it, you then buy it, and then you get arrested because your skin color makes it seem "suspicious" (despite your ID checking out). Has that ever happened to you? Because that's sort of the issue here.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@tocool340 said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

At least my gaming PC serves multiple purposes. What a belt does is pretty limited. Thus, spending $350 on a belt is pretty much throwing money away....

100% true. But the point is that nobody should give half a shit about what anyone else spends their own money on, or why. Especially not enough to freak out and call the fucking police.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MrGeezer

@the_bi99man said:

@tocool340 said:

@BluRayHiDef said:

100% true. But the point is that nobody should give half a shit about what anyone else spends their own money on, or why. Especially not enough to freak out and call the fucking police.

Especially when the thing they're buying is the thing that YOU'RE SELLING. That's like, punishing your customers. Wait, no, that's not "like" punishing your customers, it totally f***ing IS punishing your customers for buying what you're trying to sell. What gets me isn't the racism, because a LOT of people are kind of racist. But at least most of them have the good sense to shut the f*** up when customers are trying to hand them money.

marco1k1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By marco1k1
Member since 2004 • 163 Posts

@Shottayouth13-: I don't think anybody believes its completely gone just that almost all normal people don't give two shits about people's race anymore and for the most part it isn't an issue.

Just seems like these particular cop/s where being arseholes.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MrGeezer

@airshocker said:

Glad the TC is so stupid that he doesn't even realize that the NYPD didn't make any arrests. Which is the reason why the lawsuits are against Barney's, not the NYPD.

The security guards at Barney's detained the individuals. The NYPD simply took them into custody pending charges being filed.

Uh...maybe that's correct, but that's not what the provided links say. The sources he provided say that it was the NYPD, NOT Barney's security, who detained him.

"The two officers handcuffed Christian on the sidewalk and placed him into a police vehicle, according to the court documents filed Monday. Christian was detained in a holding cell for two hours and interrogated, as police contacted Chase Bank to check his card, Palillo said."

Now, maybe that's incorrect information. If so, I invite you to provide a source to the contrary. But if this is correct, then at no point does it look like he was detained by Barney's security. Barney's security wasn't anywhere nearby. He was out of the store and a block away, after making his totally legit purchase. He was then stopped by NYPD officers, handcuffed, taken into custody, and detained for two hours. That isn't an arrest by the NYPD? And even if it isn't considered an "arrest", then at what point did Barney's security detain the guy? Barney's security (allegedly) wasn't anywhere nearby when the dude was stopped, placed in handcuffs, and placed in police custody. I admit to not knowing the technical and legal definition of an "arrest", so MAYBE you're correct that the NYPD didn't arrest him. But even if that's true, at what point did Barney's security ever detain the guy?

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

This.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#37  Edited By THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

Man, they must cuff people all the time when Black Friday rolls around!

I'll be here all week.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@Audacitron said:

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts
@thebest31406 said:

Christian was told the purchase was suspicious because he could not afford to make such an expensive purchase.

What the hell are they basing that on?

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#40 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

@BluRayHiDef: Yeah, but all a belt does is keep your pants up.

Games keep my pants tight and more!

Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch: Thing is what you are really paying for is the name people see gucci and they know how much you paid for it if its real that's where the real value lies not in the materials or construction. Its the prestige and attention you get for having such a belt. You want people to know youre a baller just from looking at you. Think of all the action youll get forom the opposite sex ect. That may sound silly but its real and some people are willing to pay to obtain it. Nothing wrong with that imo.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#42  Edited By Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

There is definite race discrimination for any store to think that someone is making a purchase they appear they cant afford. The man was using a credit card, not cash, buy his belt, he would either have to pay the money back at the end of the statement or make payments, either way the store gets a purchase out of it. The idea of a person walking into a store with the appearance they cant afford something is ridiculous.

Im also seeing segregation to all this, which is unlawful according to the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Barney, Macy's, and the NYPD are saying that black people should not make purchases at a high end store, but instead shop at a place meant for people of their race.

By the way, if someone wants to spend $350 on a belt that is their own business. The belt is being priced at $350 for its name brand, not for the actual product.

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

This happens to white people all the time.

The difference?

It doesn't get reported on national news.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

I hope the store suffers and goes close to bankruptcy. Racism should not be tolerated whatsoever in any way shape or form. My best friends are White,Asian, Black and going through 3 religions. Racists should go burn.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

@airshocker said:

Uh...maybe that's correct, but that's not what the provided links say. The sources he provided say that it was the NYPD, NOT Barney's security, who detained him.

"The two officers handcuffed Christian on the sidewalk and placed him into a police vehicle, according to the court documents filed Monday. Christian was detained in a holding cell for two hours and interrogated, as police contacted Chase Bank to check his card, Palillo said."

Now, maybe that's incorrect information. If so, I invite you to provide a source to the contrary. But if this is correct, then at no point does it look like he was detained by Barney's security. Barney's security wasn't anywhere nearby. He was out of the store and a block away, after making his totally legit purchase. He was then stopped by NYPD officers, handcuffed, taken into custody, and detained for two hours. That isn't an arrest by the NYPD? And even if it isn't considered an "arrest", then at what point did Barney's security detain the guy? Barney's security (allegedly) wasn't anywhere nearby when the dude was stopped, placed in handcuffs, and placed in police custody. I admit to not knowing the technical and legal definition of an "arrest", so MAYBE you're correct that the NYPD didn't arrest him. But even if that's true, at what point did Barney's security ever detain the guy?

Then why is the lawsuit against Barneys and not the NYPD? What you fail to understand is that the police routinely act on complaints given by the employees of a business.

So the fact remains, and that you glossed over in an attempt to nitpick technicalities with me, is that Barney's is to blame. Not the NYPD.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By thebest31406

@Jd1680a said:

There is definite race discrimination for any store to think that someone is making a purchase they appear they cant afford. The man was using a credit card, not cash, buy his belt, he would either have to pay the money back at the end of the statement or make payments, either way the store gets a purchase out of it. The idea of a person walking into a store with the appearance they cant afford something is ridiculous.

Im also seeing segregation to all this, which is unlawful according to the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Barney, Macy's, and the NYPD are saying that black people should not make purchases at a high end store, but instead shop at a place meant for people of their race.

By the way, if someone wants to spend $350 on a belt that is their own business. The belt is being priced at $350 for its name brand, not for the actual product.

Of course they know that. These hypocrites are positioning themselves as minimalists and yet, they don't believe in minimalism; except of course in cases such as this one, where the concept can be used in an attempt to validate the detention of a Black guy buying an extravagant accessory.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#47 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Racism still exists, but can we stop pretending this is the norm because a story pops up once in awhile? And the kid was not arrested from what I read, he was stopped and questioned. Once it was found he purchased legit he was released. Yes it was wrong but no need to inflate it.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

How do we absolutely know that it was racially motivated? It could very much be so, but we can't really be sure, we don't have much to assert such premise.

I mean this happens all the time, when some customer that does not frequent or doesn't fit the "profile" of a luxury or high-end store or service provider enters such a business and is subsequently looked at with suspicion. I know it happened to me before here in Gaza.

Its not exclusively motivated by race that's what I'm getting at. It could be motivated by class profiling/discrimination, or it could be the case that the business has a niche customer base.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

The title of this topic is completely misleading and incorrect. Being arrested and detained are two different things.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Shottayouth13-

@GazaAli said:

How do we absolutely know that it was racially motivated? It could very much be so, but we can't really be sure, we don't have much to assert such premise.

I mean this happens all the time, when some customer that does not frequent or doesn't fit the "profile" of a luxury or high-end store or service provider enters such a business and is subsequently looked at with suspicion. I know it happened to me before here in Gaza.

Its not exclusively motivated by race that's what I'm getting at. It could be motivated by class profiling/discrimination, or it could be the case that the business has a niche customer base.

Oprah, a fucking billionaire was racially profiled by some store clerk who thought that she couldn't afford a handbag.

Believe me, it was racially motivated.