Black Holes are Elctromagnetic nothing more

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Black holes are supposedly moving heavy mass eliminating matter. If all matter gets stuck to the horizon, why doesn't all light get stuck on the horizon making a black hole white. Electromagnetic black holes can be observed and tested.

Electromagnetic Black Hole

There is no mystery to black holes it was all hype and shouldn't be taught anymore.

1oh1nine1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 1oh1nine1
Member since 2007 • 779 Posts

Wtf are you talking about? Light does get trapped, that's why it's called black. We wouldn't see white, because the light is trapped in the black hole, aka not traveling across the universe to be seen by our telescopes.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
@playmynutz said:

If all matter gets stuck to the horizon, why doesn't all light get stuck on the horizon making a black hole white.

Light is white... Absence of light is black/darkness.

mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mjc  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 12723 Posts

Can you please explain what you're talking about?

First up, you suggest EM radiation gets stuck at the event horizon, yet somehow we can observe it. Second, you link to an old article about a theoretical device that could replicate the effects of a black hole to harvest solar energy and it somehow supports your claim "black holes are electromagnetic nothing more". Finally, you say the whole thing is hype and shouldn't be taught anymore.

What...the...f?

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

@playmynutz said:

If all matter gets stuck to the horizon, why doesn't all light get stuck on the horizon making a black hole white.

We can only detect photons if they are able to travel to us. Therefore they would only appear white if they reflected light, not so if it trapped light. You don't actually know anything about physics do you?

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

Why would something that sucks in all light and reflect none look white? Either TC is too smart and what he's talking about is beyond my comprehension, or TC is an idiot talking nonsense.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44622 Posts

In case anybody didn't read the link (which judging from the comments appears to be the case) they're talking about mimicking the properties of a black whole simply with light on a table top device which was being designed when weritten, forget making an astronomy / cosmology argument. Anyhow, this article is like 4 years old, I'm guessing they never finished their device.

Jd1680a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#8  Edited By Jd1680a
Member since 2005 • 5960 Posts

This is a globular cluster. In the center of all those stars is a black hole. A natural occurring black hole with the mass of thousands of times of the sun with the same size of the Earth has so much mass and density will attract matter in its surrounding gravitational of influence, as a result 100,000 stars would form from this this collection of matter.

This is natural black hole, whats really going on in there is a mystery. If once upon a time, there is a super massive star that turns into a black hole, the question is what happens to that mass? What changes occur to mass when it becomes super super dense? Is the magnetic field is a different type of energy release or do subatomic particles inside turn on and off to create a balance to large gravitation forces?

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts

ITT: TC has no idea what he is talking about.

mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mjc  Moderator

@lamprey263 said:

In case anybody didn't read the link (which judging from the comments appears to be the case) they're talking about mimicking the properties of a black whole simply with light on a table top device which was being designed when weritten, forget making an astronomy / cosmology argument. Anyhow, this article is like 4 years old, I'm guessing they never finished their device.

I guess you didn't read my comments :P Here's a link to a recent paper about the device and the results of its experimental demonstration.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44622 Posts

@mjc: neat-o, will read when I have time

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

How extraordinarily unscientific of you.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

OP is a pretty obvious troll.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Black holes are a myth so general relativity is invalid. The properties of a black hole explained by general relativity would behave a lot differently. For example it is taught upon reaching the event horizon the 'object' is pulled inside the black hole but since time slows down the 'object' appears to be stuck on the event horizon. Light is trapped inside the black hole and should appear frozen in time on the event horizon. One of many observable properties of a black hole.

An artificial electromagnetic black hole behaves like the black holes we observe in the sky.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dramaybaz

mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mjc  Moderator

@playmynutz:

You remind me of my smart-arse astronomy students. I usually counter with this image:

Avatar image for lone_wolf_lance
Lone_Wolf_Lance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17 Lone_Wolf_Lance
Member since 2013 • 124 Posts

Glaciers melting in the dead of night

And the superstars sucked into the supermassive

Supermassive black hole!!!

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dramaybaz

@mjc I would say that is a fair thing to question when someone is getting into this.

mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mjc  Moderator

@dramaybaz said:

@mjc I would say that is a fair thing to question when someone is getting into this.

Are you talking about the comic? I'm always careful to ensure students don't take analogies seriously and they're always welcome to ask questions. However, it's frustrating to see some proclaim their expertise with comments such as "black holes are all hype and shouldn't be taught anymore" and "Black holes are a myth so general relativity is invalid" before they even have a basic grasp on the fundamental physics.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dramaybaz

Yes, I was talking about the question in the comic. But I agree with you when it comes to the TC.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#21 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

@playmynutz said:

Black holes are a myth so general relativity is invalid. The properties of a black hole explained by general relativity would behave a lot differently. For example it is taught upon reaching the event horizon the 'object' is pulled inside the black hole but since time slows down the 'object' appears to be stuck on the event horizon. Light is trapped inside the black hole and should appear frozen in time on the event horizon. One of many observable properties of a black hole.

An artificial electromagnetic black hole behaves like the black holes we observe in the sky.

Its all relative...

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dramaybaz

TC: If you are not a troll, then forget your "work" on black holes, and learn the first step of how things are "seen".

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

@dramaybaz said:

TC: If you are not a troll, then forget your "work" on black holes, and learn the first step of how things are "seen".

Exactly this. I have no education whatsoever in the field of physics, or even astronomy, and I was able to put together what TC doesn't understand, and which led him to this conclusion. That's like... not even physics 101. Like... pre-physics. Or something.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@Nibroc420 said:
@playmynutz said:

Light is white... Absence of light is black/darkness.

Science am cry.

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

Do you know what else black holes are? A theory.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 outworld222  Online
Member since 2004 • 4247 Posts

You don't know that for sure. It is not conclusive evidence, hence what you're saying is null and void.

At least there is much more to learn about black holes. We know so little.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

You can't see light if it never reaches the Earth. It follows the same fundamental law that dictates light from distant objects. When you look at a quasar at the edge of observable space, you're seeing a young galaxy from billions of years ago, not the fully formed galaxy it actually is at this moment.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

@playmynutz: A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking. Read it.

trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts

Did't I see TC post in the religion thread? Think someone has a bit of a bias against science.

Avatar image for deactivated-58061ea11c905
deactivated-58061ea11c905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By deactivated-58061ea11c905
Member since 2011 • 999 Posts

Black holes are not electromagnetic.

In fact, black holes were already predicted by Isaac Newton but Newton called them dark stars, not black holes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_star_(Newtonian_mechanics)

The only problem with black holes is that the general theory of relativity is a classical theory and we don't yet completely know how the classical theory of general relativity fits together with quantum mechanics and the Standard model of particle physics which describes the 3 other forces of nature: electromagnetism, strong nuclear force and the weak nuclear force.

But this belongs to the domain of quantum gravity and superstring theory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_gravity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superstring_theory

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

@playmynutz said:

Black holes are supposedly moving heavy mass eliminating matter. If all matter gets stuck to the horizon, why doesn't all light get stuck on the horizon making a black hole white. Electromagnetic black holes can be observed and tested.

Electromagnetic Black Hole

There is no mystery to black holes it was all hype and shouldn't be taught anymore.

whew! glad that's over. i was so scared i was going to get sucked into a black hole 10000000000 years from now.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

For anyone who is interested in facts (pardon my presumptuousness), chapter six in A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking explains what black holes are and how they are formed.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts

@GOGOGOGURT said:

Do you know what else black holes are? A theory.

I was totally waiting for an ebonic sex joke.

Avatar image for deactivated-58061ea11c905
deactivated-58061ea11c905

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deactivated-58061ea11c905
Member since 2011 • 999 Posts

Black holes definitely exist and no they are not electromagnetic.

Although I'm not a physicist and I was never very good at mathematics (especially differential geometry) I just know that Einstein was right in everything he said. Einstein was clearly a genius I think no is disputing that.