Bin Laden raid SEALS diciplined for giving Medal of Honor team classified info

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by DeX2010 (3991 posts) -

According to this source US Navy SEAL's who took part in the Bin Laden raid have been diciplined after giving classifield information to the developer of Medal of Honor.

I'm unsure as to where I stand on this. It's not as if EA modelled MoH:Warfighter precisely on the Bin Laden raid, and gamers will not know where details were taken from and which ones are made up. Although as far as I know, people with access to sensitive information do sign an NDA, and as such they really shoudn't have provided this information to the developers.

What do you think about this?

#2 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

If he really did, then he should be punished.

#3 Posted by mattisgod01 (3476 posts) -

While i don't see there being any malicious intent they must still be punished less it become a precedent in future.

#4 Posted by Cloud_Insurance (3279 posts) -

while it sucks their military careers are over, I don't think they will have trouble finding work.

#5 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

If he really did, then he should be punished.

Pirate700
I think that's a serious offensive, not a simple slap on the wrest, like federal prison punishment.
#6 Posted by Lord_Omikron666 (4748 posts) -

while it sucks their military careers are over, I don't think they will have trouble finding work.

Cloud_Insurance

As I've read, they're not being discharged, but given LORs and losing half their pay for 2 months.

#7 Posted by Cloud_Insurance (3279 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]

Lord_Omikron666

As I've read, they're not being discharged, but given LORs and losing half their pay for 2 months.

I don't know much about the military, but the article I read stated that the SEALs, there are 6 or 7 of them I believe, are ineligible for promotion and because of that they will be discharged, as the military follows an "up or out" policy.

#8 Posted by JohnF111 (14051 posts) -

"but will not face jail time" - Well I guess it wasn't THAT much information if they didn't get jailed for it. I guess the punishment fits the crime, if they were jailed then I wouldn't agree with the punishment since the detailed given to EA were almost unrelated to the Bin Laden raid entirely but they are held to a NDA of the strictest kind imaginable so it's their own fault.

#9 Posted by mattisgod01 (3476 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lord_Omikron666"]

Cloud_Insurance

I don't know much about the military, but the article I read stated that the SEALs, there are 6 or 7 of them I believe, are ineligible for promotion and because of that they will be discharged, as the military follows an "up or out" policy.

Navy SEALs are expensive and valuable, They won't discharge them lightly.

#10 Posted by Cloud_Insurance (3279 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lord_Omikron666"]As I've read, they're not being discharged, but given LORs and losing half their pay for 2 months.

mattisgod01

Its mandated by the military that if you aren't eligible for promotion that you have to leave.

#11 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

[QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

Cloud_Insurance

Its mandated by the military that if you aren't eligible for promotion that you have to leave.

So the president has to leave?
#12 Posted by mattisgod01 (3476 posts) -

[QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

Fightingfan

So the president has to leave?

And all the Chiefs of Staff.

#14 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

These weren't the same guys involved in Bin Laden's operation, so why are using their name?

Blue-Sky
Bin laden is still alive.
#15 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5281 posts) -

They should lock up the entire development team.

#16 Posted by MrPraline (21308 posts) -
i thought the bin laden guys died in a chopper crash or something
#17 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5281 posts) -
i thought the bin laden guys died in a chopper crash or somethingMrPraline
I think some of them did, I remember them reporting that awhile back.
#18 Posted by Blue-Sky (10315 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

These weren't the same guys involved in Bin Laden's operation, so why are using their name?

Fightingfan

Bin laden is still alive.

I mean, Seal Team 6 is comprised of several platoons, it's like once they see 6 they automatically associate them with Bin Laden even though they may not have been involved in the operation at all.

#19 Posted by airshocker (29042 posts) -

Letters of Reprimand are commonly used to wipe the ass by the service member that receives them. Unless they start getting NJPs, this is like slapping their wrist with a limp noodle.

But IIRC they were given LORs for acting as consultants. There is still an investigation being done as to whether or not they leaked classified information.

#20 Posted by Selere (3 posts) -

[QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

Cloud_Insurance

Depends. The Non-Judicial Punishment/LOR will put them on the Navy equivalent of a UIF/Control Roster. If their term of enlistment ends prior to them being removed (UIF/CR is typically for a year), then they will be discharged at that time. If they don't do anything further to warrant extending the UIF/CR, then they're fine (other than the likely sup-par performance report due to the punishment). Considering how hard it is to fill the spec ops slots, none of them are going to get discharged unless they continue to screw up.
#21 Posted by MrPraline (21308 posts) -

[QUOTE="mattisgod01"]

Selere

Depends. The Non-Judicial Punishment/LOR will put them on the Navy equivalent of a UIF/Control Roster. If their term of enlistment ends prior to them being removed (UIF/CR is typically for a year), then they will be discharged at that time. If they don't do anything further to warrant extending the UIF/CR, then they're fine (other than the likely sup-par performance report due to the punishment). Considering how hard it is to fill the spec ops slots, none of them are going to get discharged unless they continue to screw up.

welcome
#22 Posted by Flubbbs (2971 posts) -

thats sucks for the guys.. and MoH is such a crap game at that

#23 Posted by lamprey263 (23180 posts) -
the only content I can see as having relevance in the Bin Laden raid is the Zero Dark Thirty multiplayer maps, tied as a promotion to the film... I'm wondering why SEALs are taking a hit on this, whereas people in military and intelligence have been involved in the making of the Zero Dark Thirty film itself but you don't hear about heads rolling there
#24 Posted by GhettoBlastin92 (1148 posts) -
Shame cause the game is friggin garbage.
#25 Posted by o0squishy0o (2754 posts) -

A few guys have already cottoned on to it, but imagine having access to some of the knowledge that was used to capture the MOST WANTED MAN in the past what 20ish years? maybe more, and you still can't put together a great game around it.

I always knew it was going to be poor when they had a navy seal sniper talking about how you have to basically super camp, and when they cut to MOH they had a sniper running in the gun fight with the assault guys. It was always going to be a complete joke.

#26 Posted by the_ChEeSe_mAn2 (8464 posts) -
the only content I can see as having relevance in the Bin Laden raid is the Zero Dark Thirty multiplayer maps, tied as a promotion to the film... I'm wondering why SEALs are taking a hit on this, whereas people in military and intelligence have been involved in the making of the Zero Dark Thirty film itself but you don't hear about heads rolling therelamprey263
Same story I see with Act of Valor. If the Navy does it, k, then it's ok. But if the SEALs do something like that on their own, then suddenly it's not ok. Strange rules and double-standards IMO.
#27 Posted by DeX2010 (3991 posts) -
Now that I think about it, how did the US Navy find out about the information that the SEALs disclosed to EA? Did they order them to hand over files or something?
#28 Posted by mattisgod01 (3476 posts) -

Now that I think about it, how did the US Navy find out about the information that the SEALs disclosed to EA? Did they order them to hand over files or something?DeX2010

They pirated the game and became suspicious when certain aspects were quite accurate.

#29 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150347 posts) -
If they gave out classified information then they deserve to be dealt with.......
#30 Posted by mrsniper83 (1552 posts) -
Its a video game, who cares if the seal gave EA some info, its not like terrorist are gonna play MOH:Warfighter anyways, I mean , come one, its MOH.The day the seal lend a hand on a COD game,everyone hide.
#31 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -
Its a video game, who cares if the seal gave EA some info, its not like terrorist are gonna play MOH:Warfighter anyways, I mean , come one, its MOH.The day the seal lend a hand on a COD game,everyone hide.mrsniper83
It doesn't matter what it was for, if they released information they were not authorised to release they they should be punished accordingly.
#32 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150347 posts) -
Its a video game, who cares if the seal gave EA some info, its not like terrorist are gonna play MOH:Warfighter anyways, I mean , come one, its MOH.The day the seal lend a hand on a COD game,everyone hide.mrsniper83
:lol: I'd ask about the logic in your statement but there doesn't seem to be any. It doesn't matter that the information was used for a game.....they were not authorized to give out that information. Period. And they deserve to be dealt with for doing so.....