Bill Gates, seemly unlimitd amount of money.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by magicalclick (22363 posts) -

Bill Gates is the world richest man again. I cannot imagine how he stay on top while being on of the top donation contributors in the world. And MS isn't selling like hot potatoes like its competitors. How did he managed to get even more money??? This is just so odd.

#2 Posted by magicalclick (22363 posts) -

I mean MS stock isn't selling like hot potatoes. Couldn't edit using my phone.

#3 Edited by lamprey263 (22645 posts) -

Why would they need to delude stock with issuing more shares, the company makes like $20 billion a year in net profits.

#4 Posted by magicalclick (22363 posts) -

His company makes money, but, he is already retired. I guess there are some compensation for being the one of the board directors. BTW, sorry for the dup thread. Just saw the other thread.

#5 Posted by moloch999 (125 posts) -

He's diversified. His money just doesn't come from Microsoft.

#6 Posted by Trender_man (136 posts) -

he basically makes money by accident now

#7 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

its a good question. part of his retirement was to slowly become de-vested in Microsoft I think.

That said, his best buddy is Warren Buffet so maybe just good investing.

#8 Posted by Jacobistheman (3975 posts) -

Bill Gates is the world richest man again. I cannot imagine how he stay on top while being on of the top donation contributors in the world. And MS isn't selling like hot potatoes like its competitors. How did he managed to get even more money??? This is just so odd.

MS isn't selling like hot potatoes? Their stock is up 35 percent in the last year (28 to 38), they made more money than any of their competitors except for apple over the last year. Income has grown 30% in comparison Apple's income shrank by 11% over the last year.

Also, Bill gates has money invested in a ton of stuff that isn't Microsoft.

#9 Posted by comp_atkins (31182 posts) -

^ this. plus a lot of his donations are in the form of pledges to give money in the future. it doesn't mean it has all been given up front.

#10 Edited by bforrester420 (1193 posts) -

Beyond what other posters have stated, you also have to factor in the power of compounding. Not only has Microsoft's stock rose with the rest of the market, it also pays an annual dividend (made in quarterly payments) of $1.12 a share. So not only has he seen unrealized gains of 30% with the rise of the stock's value, he also receives $1.12 for every share that he owns, each year. If he reinvests those dividend payments back into stock (DRIP), his unrealized gains would be even higher because he's accumulated more shares throughout the year.

It's really not that hard to make money from stocks, and if you're a buy-and-hold investor like Gates' buddy Warren Buffet, that money snowballs over time.