Bill Gates: Edward Snowden Is No Hero

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

"I think he broke the law, so I certainly wouldn't characterize him as a hero," Gates said. "If he wanted to raise the issues and stay in the country and engage in civil disobedience or something of that kind, or if he had been careful in terms of what he had released, then it would fit more of the model of 'OK, I'm really trying to improve things.' You won't find much admiration from me."

Gates said that there "has to be a debate" about government snooping, but indicated that some aspects of government surveillance are best left a secret. Microsoft has seen quite a bit of controversy regarding its alleged cooperation with the NSA. Last July, the Guardian reported that Microsoft had aided both the NSA and FBI in accessing user data, including providing video and audio conversations from Skype, Microsoft's video chat service. A Der Spiegel report in December also found that the NSA would use fake Windows error messages to spy on people.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/14/bill-gates-snowden_n_4964311.html

I do not think Snowden is a "hero" either but Bill's reasoning is kind of silly though not surprising since Microsoft was the first in bed for PRISM.

Bill is still amazing

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

i agree with him.

because if i don't i can legally be waterboarded.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#3 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58898 Posts

American governments broke the law.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I agree with Bill in this case. But Mr. Gates, I have used Jobs products, I knew Steve Jobs, Steve Jobs was a friend of mine. Mr. Gates, you are no Steve Jobs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@Master_Live said:

I agree with Bill in this case. But Mr. Gates, I have used Jobs products, I knew Steve Jobs, Steve Jobs was a friend of mine. Mr. Gates, you are no Steve Jobs.

I understood that reference.

But you are certainly right! Bill Gates is one of the greatest philanthropists of all time and Steve Jobs is some dude created electronics that will be forgotten in time.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Aljosa23:

As a non-American, I agree with Bill Gates since Edward Snowden's leaks has affected Australia's relationship with certain countries.

Edward Snowden needs to be nullified. USA's gov needs to fix their out-sourcing employment issues.

I have seen Edward Snowden's postings in Ars Technica's forums.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178843 Posts

He's right.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

Yeah I agree al

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Well spying on people with xbone isn't legal either.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJS9502_basic

@reaper4278 said:

Snowden was entrusted with classified information, he betrayed that trust and his country. As an intelligence professional I know as a fact I have avenues I can take to report Intelligence Oversight violations legally. Snowden took the job he did with a premeditated plan to steal information and flee to China with it. He not only revealed the mass collection of data that was being collected, in which he cited moral obligation to the American people, but he revealed secrets to adversaries as well. He also did irreparable damage with our allies by showing them what we were spying on as well. And before anyone jumps on that they all spy on us just as much, don't let their "shock" fool you.

Now he could have been seen as a hero if he first went up the proper chains and nothing was done, then he came out to an American news organization in the name of the Constitution and revealed only the mass collection of American citizen's data. Even then he would be taking it upon himself to decide what should be revealed or not and would be breaking the law. If he had any honor he would do this because it was right then take whatever punishment was given.

Did he do that though? No. He fled to a foreign country, revealed secrets to a foreign news organization, revealed not only alleged constitutional violations against the American people, but also international spying practices. This is why he is a criminal and a traitor.

Now this post I agree with.....

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts

@reaper4278: Good post, most of that is what I've been saying since the leaks came out. However, people are so focused with the surveillance leaks that if Snowden revealed war plans that got 10,000 troops killed tomorrow most people would probably still support him at this point. In fact, pretty much anything negative said about him is dismissed as part of a smear campaign by the government.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

"He broke the law so he's no hero"

Sound logic, Mr.Gates.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4217 Posts

Yes, like having a sit-in like some moron in a restaurant can accomplish much :|

What a way to get your message out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

;-) right Bill Gates

MickeyTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MickeyTheNinja
Member since 2007 • 3824 Posts

Boo hoo, he broke the law that was in place to only protect those lying to over 300 million people. Boo fucking hoo.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6822 Posts

Snowden aside, I'm not convinced the founder of Microsoft can offer a neutral point of view in the spying debate.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@MickeyTheNinja said:

Boo hoo, he broke the law that was in place to only protect those lying to over 300 million people. Boo fucking hoo.

LOL kids...

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Master_Live

Who can offer a neutral point of view in the spying debate?

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Master_Live

@reaper4278 said:

@MickeyTheNinja said:

Who lied?

James Clapper did. To Congress. Under oath.

Loading Video...

Crunchy_Nuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Crunchy_Nuts
Member since 2010 • 2749 Posts

I have no problems with breaking the law to expose government abuse. So I'd disagree with Gates on that one.

Snowden also revealed how the USA spies on foreigners and foreign threats to the nation. As far as I'm concerned that's bordering on treason. I'm not American but I could see how US citizens may see him as a villain.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

Yeah...not really giving a shit what ole Bill thinks.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ad1x2

@reaper4278 said:

@Master_Live said:

@reaper4278 said:

@MickeyTheNinja said:

Who lied?

James Clapper did. To Congress. Under oath.

Loading Video...

It would appear that is up for debate. http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/04/clapper-lie-congress-nsa-national-intelligence-counsel

In reality that committee hung him out to dry, because they knew the answers to the questions already and knew it was all classified.

Things like that are why I believe questions like that where lawmakers know the answer is probably classified should be asked inside of one of the many SCIFs the DC area has rather than on TV.

When these type of questions are asked in an open chamber, tell the truth and you just told the world classified information the enemy can use or skirt around it by saying "the answer is classified" and you might as well have said yes, which could also be used against us.

On the other hand, if you tell a lie or omit information to protect classified information and another Snowden leaks the information what you said gets posted on Youtube just like this and you have a bunch of people who don't understand why the information was classified in the first place calling for your head for perjury.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

he cost U.S. companies billions over the next few decades.

That means lost jobs.

Thanks snowden

Avatar image for Braun_Roid_Rage
Braun_Roid_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Braun_Roid_Rage
Member since 2013 • 790 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

He's right.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

@reaper4278: Don't you work within the US state? It is at all possible to have an honest conversation about US policy with someone who works within the state? I don't think it's possible tbh.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

He is a hero, Bill gates is a scum bag who wants to depopulated the human race

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

@reaper4278 said:

@thebest31406 said:

Sound logic, Mr.Gates.

If he truly believed in what he was doing he would have taken his arrest like a hero rather than running like a bitch traitor to another country. Just my opinion though.

Oh, you mean like Chelsea Manning? Who has been tortured since his arrest and is probably being waterboarded as we speak? Yeah, sounds like a good idea.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36039 Posts

I agree with Bill on a lot of things, but there was no reasonable way for Snowden to bring this to the attention of the American people without doing what he did.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@Serraph105 said:

I agree with Bill on a lot of things, but there was no reasonable way for Snowden to bring this to the attention of the American people without doing what he did.

Indeed, and Chelsy Manning pretty much shows that getting out of the country was the right thing to do.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

@reaper4278 said:

@kaealy said:

@reaper4278 said:

@thebest31406 said:

Sound logic, Mr.Gates.

If he truly believed in what he was doing he would have taken his arrest like a hero rather than running like a bitch traitor to another country. Just my opinion though.

Oh, you mean like Chelsea Manning? Who has been tortured since his arrest and is probably being waterboarded as we speak? Yeah, sounds like a good idea.

If you don't like it don't break every rule of having a security clearance in the book. Everyone who is cleared at these levels knows full well the implications of revealing classified information. Manning did 100x more damage than Snowden did, and no one will ever know the true ramifications of his actions. There could be enough blood on his hands to fill a dump truck. Waterboard him until the cows come home, it won't hurt me one bit.

What is truly sad is people like these two actually hurt the true heroes who put their lives on the line every day to fight those who would see America blown to bits, yet you people call them heroes. People in the intelligence community work diligently and passionately to stop terrorist attacks before they happen, we use every tool we have to do so. Yet we are the villains now thanks to these two and others like them. These are not two heroes who helped you, they are two traitors who just made the United States a less safe place.

So, war crimes such as blowing up children with an apache helicopter should go unpunished and unnoticed? Man, patriotism sure makes you...

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

@reaper4278 said:

@kaealy said:

@reaper4278 said:

@thebest31406 said:

Sound logic, Mr.Gates.

If you don't like it don't break every rule of having a security clearance in the book. Everyone who is cleared at these levels knows full well the implications of revealing classified information. Manning did 100x more damage than Snowden did, and no one will ever know the true ramifications of his actions. There could be enough blood on his hands to fill a dump truck. Waterboard him until the cows come home, it won't hurt me one bit.

What is truly sad is people like these two actually hurt the true heroes who put their lives on the line every day to fight those who would see America blown to bits, yet you people call them heroes. People in the intelligence community work diligently and passionately to stop terrorist attacks before they happen, we use every tool we have to do so. Yet we are the villains now thanks to these two and others like them. These are not two heroes who helped you, they are two traitors who just made the United States a less safe place.

They not fighting for their country, they just fighting for rich evil men to get their way, they are doing alot more harm than good.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Serraph105

@reaper4278:

I know that this is a lot to ask anyone to listen to, but this debate on whether Snowden was justified pretty much trounces every argument against the man. Its quite interesting and I request/suggest you give it a listen when you have the time.

http://www.npr.org/2014/02/18/279151014/debate-was-edward-snowden-justified

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@reaper4278 said:

@ultimate-k said:

They not fighting for their country, they just fighting for rich evil men to get their way, they are doing alot more harm than good.

That is a simpleton, cliche argument.

Yes. Security of the country depends on not making everything public. Though I have to say that anything put out over computers, or phones, really should come as no surprise that it isn't private anymore. Seriously.....did you really need Snowden to tell you that?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@reaper4278 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@reaper4278 said:

@ultimate-k said:

That is a simpleton, cliche argument.

Yes. Security of the country depends on not making everything public. Though I have to say that anything put out over computers, or phones, really should come as no surprise that it isn't private anymore. Seriously.....did you really need Snowden to tell you that?

It is common sense, yes. People put every little thing on their Facebook account, what they are eating for dinner, where they are going, where they went etc. Yet they cry "invasion of privacy"?

In the end neither NSA nor any one else cares about your private phone calls to your mother, work, or girlfriend. This is like complaining to the bank about being recorded by their cameras when you walk in. No one is going back and looking at them, they record just in case there is an event so they can go back and look at them. This mass collection is the same strategy. They scoop up all the phone calls, yours and mine, then when they get a tip that this guy is doing bad things they can go back and retrieve all his past calls to look into him further, look into who he talks to, build bad guy networks, etc. Imagine how many lives could be saved here. They do not exploit and analyze yours just because it is there. Do you really think they have the manpower to exploit every phone call you made to your mother this year when they have so many other important calls to analyze? This is just common sense.

Right. They don't care....and they have limited resources. So they only look for certain target words. They really aren't interesting in your personal life.

seahorse123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 seahorse123
Member since 2012 • 1237 Posts

Snowden is a hero. Bill gates is probably worried because he might expose some of his dirty laundry.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ad1x2

@kaealy said:

@reaper4278 said:

@kaealy said:

@reaper4278 said:

@thebest31406 said:

Sound logic, Mr.Gates.

So, war crimes such as blowing up children with an apache helicopter should go unpunished and unnoticed? Man, patriotism sure makes you...

Just like Edward Snowden, Private Manning is not a hero. There were all kinds of things that led up to Manning's arrest for cooperating with WikiLeaks that were less than heroic, to include temper tantrums and punching a fellow Soldier in the face during an argument. As for the leaks themselves, the helicopter incident was being investigated and it was discovered that the pilots legitimately mistook the reporters killed for insurgents because they mistook their cameras for RPGs.

Manning, already pissed off because he felt like he made a mistake joining the Army, decides to give the video to WikiLeaks, along with several hundred thousand other documents, many of which he probably never read. While the diplomatic documents were mostly embarrassing information, the military documents had TTPs (Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures) troops use in convoys and during attacks. That information is very valuable to insurgents who can use it against troops. All of Manning's supports totally missed those facts (or just didn't care, since in their mind those "murderers" flying the helicopter should be exposed).

Almost everything that Manning has gone through since being arrested has been justified. He stated on paperwork he was ordered to fill out after his arrest that he had suicidal thoughts. That is reason enough to take away anything he could use to harm himself and it may be looked at as torture by an untrained person. Imagine the conspiracy theories if the Army did nothing and Manning killed himself, everybody would claim the government killed him and made it look like a suicide. The judge took off some time from the sentenced for alleged mistreatment, so maybe some guards got a little overzealous and were most likely disciplined.

Then, Manning decides the day after being sentenced to 35 years to come out and say he is a woman now. That right there got him the support of several LGBT organizations who are demanding that he is moved to a women's prison, given female hormones by the Army at taxpayer expense, and/or released outright. Manning's transition has gotten to the point where it has overshadowed the leaks themselves.

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Serraph105

@reaper4278:

So you say you know how you would have handled the same information Snowden did, how would you have handled it?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LJS9502_basic

@seahorse123 said:

Snowden is a hero. Bill gates is probably worried because he might expose some of his dirty laundry.

No. No he's not. There ARE channels in place to properly report something you think is wrong. What he did was wrong. Not that I expect internet kids to know the difference.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@seahorse123 said:

No. No he's not. There ARE channels in place to properly report something you think is wrong. What he did was wrong. Not that I expect internet kids to know the difference.

Are you unable to form a coherent arguement?

Is that why you refer to people as "Internet kids", and state your opinion as a fact?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 LJS9502_basic

@Nibroc420 said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@seahorse123 said:

Are you unable to form a coherent arguement?

Is that why you refer to people as "Internet kids", and state your opinion as a fact?

LOL...you really really need a hobby besides spending your time trolling me all weekend dude. Flattering as it is to be the object of your attention...I'm not interested.