Biggest Oscar Snubs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10136 posts) -

So basically in the history of Oscars, who or what got snubbed of an Oscar and who or what did it go to that didn't deserve it? This includes everything, not just Best Picture

Atonement: Seriously, how did that trash that was No Country For Old Men win best picture? Atonement is a masterpiece and it got overlooked. It did get a nomination, but still...

Leonardo DiCaprio: Blood Diamond, Shutter Island, Django, Body of Lies....enough said

District 9: There was a lot of competition that year, but if anything deserved best picture it was District 9, not The Hurt Locker

Goodfellas: Scorsese's best film. I won't even try to understand how this didn't win and The Departed (amzing film, but not like Goodfellas) did.

Malcolm McDowell for A Clockwork Orange: Come on, he wasn't even nominated!

Shawkshank Redemption: Forrest Gump was good, but not better than Stephen King's adapted masterpiece.

So that's my opinion. What about yours?

#2 Edited by Mesomorphin (825 posts) -

#3 Edited by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2582 posts) -

The biggest Oscar snub I've been alive for is Toy Story 3 not winning Best Picture in 2010, instead of standard Oscar-bait The King's Speech.

#4 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10136 posts) -

@mesomorphin said:

I don't think it's possible for anyone else to be snubbed more than he.

#5 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10136 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

The biggest Oscar snub I've been alive for is Toy Story 3 not winning Best Picture in 2010, instead of standard Oscar-bait The King's Speech.

You don't have to be alive for it. I wasn't even alive for Goodfellas, let alone A Clockwork Orange :P

#6 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7799 posts) -

Agree with Goodfellas and Shawshank. I'd also add Saving Private Ryan losing to Shakespeare in love.

#7 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2582 posts) -

@ShadowsDemon: Yeah, but I can't pretend to know what warrants an Oscar snub in a time period I haven't experienced. Either way -- Toy Story 3. Best Movie of 2010. Snubbed.

#8 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10136 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Agree with Goodfellas and Shawshank. I'd also add Saving Private Ryan losing to Shakespeare in love.

Oh god, I forgot about that.

#9 Edited by ShadowsDemon (10136 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: You can if you watch it :P

But yeah, you're right when it comes to TS3, even though The King's Speech wasn't that bad...

#10 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2582 posts) -

@ShadowsDemon: Yeah, it was a great movie, but I don't think it's the kind of film that many people are going to be watching years down the road.

#11 Edited by ShadowsDemon (10136 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO: No, definitely not. Some films are just made to re-watch. I saw District 9 3 or 4 times in 2013.

#12 Posted by Mesomorphin (825 posts) -

#13 Posted by The-Apostle (12189 posts) -

District 9: There was a lot of competition that year, but if anything deserved best picture it was District 9, not The Hurt Locker

District 9 did NOT deserve an Oscar. That movie sucked until the last 30 minutes or so.

#14 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2582 posts) -

@ShadowsDemon: On the subject of the Oscars, this is the first year I get to go. !!!! hype !!!!

#15 Posted by themajormayor (25797 posts) -

2001: A Space Odyssey

#16 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10136 posts) -

@The-Apostle: Are you even kidding? It's easily one of the best films ever.

It was better than that mess that was The Hurt Locker...and definitely better than the overrated Avatar.

#17 Edited by DharmaMember77 (2377 posts) -

Frank Langella not getting a supporting actor nod for Diary of a Mad Housewife.

#18 Edited by Mesomorphin (825 posts) -

@ShadowsDemon said:

It was better than that mess that was The Hurt Locker...and definitely better than the overrated Avatar.

Dont you ever diss Avatar...that was soo amazing.....ly shit

#19 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

Leonardo Dicaprio, that poor guy has been snubbed so many times he should just stop showing up at the show.

#20 Posted by The-Apostle (12189 posts) -

@ShadowsDemon said:

If you like being bored during movies that's your business. I prefer being entertained. District 9 sucked ass... Plain and simple.

#21 Edited by 36Ounces (2065 posts) -

Yea Dances With Wolves takin it over my all time fav Goodfellas was str8 bullshit. Jamie Foxx in Django an Jack Nicholson in The Shining come to mind too.

#22 Edited by Bardock47 (5295 posts) -

Leonardo Dicaprio

#23 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17416 posts) -

John Carpenters The Thing. No nomination for any category despite being an absolute classic. Not even freaking NOMINATED for the special effects category....

#24 Edited by hippiesanta (9868 posts) -

@The-Apostle said:

District 9 did NOT deserve an Oscar. That movie sucked until the last 30 minutes or so.

because u are not use to South Afrikaan accent

#25 Edited by The-Apostle (12189 posts) -

@hippiesanta said:

@The-Apostle said:

No, because when I see a movie like that I need to see some action. There isn't any until the last 30-45 minutes. >_>

#26 Edited by themajormayor (25797 posts) -

@The-Apostle said:

@hippiesanta said:

@The-Apostle said:

No, because when I see a movie like that I need to see some action. There isn't any until the last 30-45 minutes. >_>

So it's definitely related to you not being used to south african accent.

#27 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28098 posts) -

Naomi Watts in Mulholland Dr.

#28 Posted by MrGeezer (56373 posts) -

@The-Apostle said:

@hippiesanta said:

@The-Apostle said:

If anything, the general consensus is that the last 30 minutes were the worst part. There were at least some interesting ideas earlier in the movie, but then the end of it was basically equivalent to a videogame cutscene or a Michael Bay movie. Just a bunch of shit blowing up.

But District 9 wasn't that good anyway. I enjoyed it, but it's not Oscar material.

#29 Edited by Master_Live (14674 posts) -

The Dark Knight not being nominated and not winning best picture.

#30 Posted by Jd1680a (5945 posts) -

@IMAHAPYHIPPO said:

I would find it very unlikely an animated movie would ever win best picture. Mainly because the people who are voting for these movies protecting themselves because there is no acting involved. The movie is mostly made by animators who make 100x less then them. Disney's Beauty and the Beast got nominated for best picture in 1991, it scared the actors so much they had to create a new category for animated movies. I mean where was the category when animated movies been around since the 40s?

The technical side of movies tend to get snubbed a lot, because once again because the people who make 100x less then actors don't get the same recognition. In 1981, the Elephant Man was nominated for every single category, the guy who did the make up for the movie wasn't even honored and it was his work that allowed the movie to get nominated.

Notice how a lot of movies that have won best picture are mostly drama. Movies that require a lot of time for the actors to perform his or her work.

#31 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10136 posts) -

@The-Apostle said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

If you like being bored during movies that's your business. I prefer being entertained. District 9 sucked ass... Plain and simple.

No, not plain and simple. I thought it was an incredible film. I wasn't bored for a second. I actually preferred the first half to the second. If you like dissing movies that's your business.

#32 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10136 posts) -

@The-Apostle said:

@hippiesanta said:

@The-Apostle said:

Hang on, you basically disliked it for being different and not having enough action until the last 45 minutes? Really? :|

#33 Edited by Master_Live (14674 posts) -

District 9: 7/10

#34 Posted by Aljosa23 (25004 posts) -

@ShadowsDemon said:

@The-Apostle said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

No, not plain and simple. I thought it was an incredible film. I wasn't bored for a second. I actually preferred the first half to the second. If you like dissing movies that's your business.

You just dissed No Country For Old Men in the OP lol.

#35 Posted by dave123321 (34085 posts) -

Yeah, practice what you preach tc

#36 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10136 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@The-Apostle said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

I dissed it because I thought it was crap. I didn't diss it because it didn't have enough action. There's a difference between disliking something on it's own merit and disliking it because it didn't have enough action.

Read what I wrote more carefully, please.

#37 Edited by Aljosa23 (25004 posts) -

@ShadowsDemon said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@The-Apostle said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

I dissed it because I thought it was crap. I didn't diss it because it didn't have enough action. There's a difference between disliking something on it's own merit and disliking it because it didn't have enough action.

There is no difference; a diss is still a diss. Is it really all that hard to admit you made a mistake?

#38 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10136 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

@The-Apostle said:

@ShadowsDemon said:

There is no difference; a diss is still a diss. Is it really all that hard to admit you made a mistake?

Wrong about what? Wrong that I dislike it?

He can dislike District 9. He's more than welcome to. I'm not telling him he's "wrong" for disliking it. I told him that dissing it for not having any action was a strange reason.

If I dissed NCFOM for not having sex scenes, for example, then I would be wrong.

See, there is a difference.

#39 Posted by hippiesanta (9868 posts) -

@The-Apostle said:

@hippiesanta said:

@The-Apostle said:

then you should watch action movies frong Hong Kong ...... it's all action even on dinner table fighting for a meatballs

#40 Posted by Laihendi (5828 posts) -

Elijah Wood was snubbed 3 years in a row, 2002-2004. He should have gotten best actor for his work in Lord of the Rings and the fact that they gave 11 oscars to Return of the King and still didn't even nominate Elijah is an absurdity.

#41 Edited by Shottayouth13- (6803 posts) -

District 9 was crap, nowhere near Oscar material. No Country for Old Men on the other hand was a masterpiece.

And Leonardo DiCaprio is probably the all time most snubbed. Sucks that he might even get snubbed again, with Matthew McConaughey winning. I haven't seen Wolf of Wall Street yet, but McConaughey in Buyer's Club really wasn't all that. Jared Leto though, did put on a terrific performance.

#42 Edited by GamingGod999 (2998 posts) -

Disappointed that Rush didn't receive any nominations for the 2014 Oscars.

Daniel Brühl's performance as Niki Lauda was sublime.

#43 Edited by Master_Live (14674 posts) -

Saw Rush a couple of days ago, didn't see what all the fuzz was about. When I saw the trailer I thought: "Oh look, another sappy, over sentimental flashy Ron Howard movie". Then I start hearing the critics: "surprisingly good", "racing is just a small amount of the movie". Then I saw it and it was 100% what I thought it would be. Entirely predictable, simplistic dialogue, wooden acting.

Rush 6/10

#44 Posted by IMAHAPYHIPPO (2582 posts) -

@Jd1680a: Yeah, that's always been the case. Still, Toy Story 3 deserved the win.

#45 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10136 posts) -

Yeah, Rush was pretty crap, sadly.