Bible says Christians should kill non-believers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

syorks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 syorks1
Member since 2007 • 824 Posts

Do u think this verse points to that? That Christians should kill people who aren't Christian.

'Bring here those who hated me and did not want me to be their king and kill them in front of me.' Luke 19:27

Btw Jesus is technically saying this.

Avatar image for Mutatedbloodelf
Mutatedbloodelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Mutatedbloodelf
Member since 2007 • 853 Posts
Are you Christian? (thats what im going to guess by your pic.)
syorks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 syorks1
Are you Christian? (thats what im going to guess by your pic.)Mutatedbloodelf
My picture is of kevin Harvick a NASCAR driver which has nothing to do with Christianity but yes i am a Christian.
dackchaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dackchaar
Member since 2005 • 3668 Posts
It could by symbolic, or it could be literal. But if it's in the Old Testament, then it does not bind the Christians of today, the New Testament does, hence the name.
syorks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 syorks1
It could by symbolic, or it could be literal. But if it's in the Old Testament, then it does not bind the Christians of today, the New Testament does, hence the name.dackchaar
Luke is in the new testament
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts
I am a infidel, non-believer.....just try to kill me punk, i will make you prey to my knee in your face.
Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts

It could by symbolic, or it could be literal. But if it's in the Old Testament, then it does not bind the Christians of today, the New Testament does, hence the name.dackchaar

Did you read the post? He said it was from Luke (New Testament), and that it was said by Jesus.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dreams-Visions
Member since 2006 • 26578 Posts

Do u think this verse points to that? That Christians should kill people who aren't Christian.

'Bring here those who hated me and did not want me to be their king and kill them in front of me.' Luke 19:27

syorks1

No: is your answer.

Context is important. Jesus was giving an analogy there. The full analogy is 11-26. If you don't read it in context, it won't make sense.

Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Dreams-Visions
It's an analogy; neither symbolic nor literal. It was part of a message he was trying to convey.
brendandick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#10 brendandick
Member since 2004 • 3338 Posts
More open-minded everyday.
Ezgam3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ezgam3r
Member since 2006 • 2308 Posts

You may want to read the whole passage to really understand it:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2019:11-26;&version=31;

jdmpastor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 jdmpastor
Member since 2003 • 664 Posts

No, it doesn't mean that and no Jesus is not literally teaching Christians to kill non-believers.

Simply put it is an end time teaching in which Jesus is saying He will (future) deal with those who rejected him. Whoever will not be ruled by the grace of Christ will inevitably be ruined by the wrath of Christ.

Here is what Matthew Henry has to say:

"When Christ had set up his gospel kingdom, and thereby put reputation upon the gospel ministry, then he comes to reckon with the Jews; then it is remembered against them that they had particularly disclaimed and protested against his kingly office, when they said, We have no king but Caesar, nor would own him for their king. They appealed to Caesar, and to Caesar they shall go; Caesar shall be their ruin. Then the kingdom of God appeared when vengeance was taken on those irreconcileable enemies to Christ and his government; they were brought forth and slain before him. Never was so much slaughter made in any war as in the wars of the Jews. That nation lived to see Christianity victorious in the Gentile world, in spite of their enmity and opposition to it, and then it was taken away as dross."

Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
[QUOTE="syorks1"]

Dreams-Visions

Context is important. Jesus was giving an analogy there. The full analogy is 11-26. If you don't read it in context, it won't make sense.

I suspected as much

greenprince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14 greenprince
Member since 2006 • 3332 Posts

syorks1
What is Jesus saying here if he doesn't mean non-christians should be killed?
It's clearly part of the parable, following a chiasmus-like structure. The 'reign over' structure is repeated at the start and the end.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/cgi-bin/tools/printer-friendly.pl?book=Luk&chapter=19&version=nkjvp&Go.x=28&Go.y=10

11 Now as they heard these things, He spoke another parable, because He was near Jerusalem and because they thought the kingdom of God would appear immediately. 12 Therefore He said: "A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom and to return. 13 So he called ten of his servants, delivered to them ten *minas, and said to them, 'Do business till I come.' 14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a delegation after him, saying, 'We will not have this man to reign over us.' ...

26 'For I say to you, that to everyone who has will be given; and from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. 27 But bring here those enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, and slay them before me.'"

It is so obvious that the nobleman is saying it, that it beggars belief that anyone would think that Jesus is telling his disciples to kill. Yet Luke 19:27 is trotted around on a number of websites with that implication.
Tuky06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Tuky06
Member since 2007 • 5026 Posts
I thought believers had to teach non-beleivers about God, not kill them...:(
jlh47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jlh47
Member since 2007 • 3326 Posts

I am a infidel, non-believer.....just try to kill me punk, i will make you prey to my knee in your face.Videodogg

if he had God on his side you'd be dead in less then a second... btw it's spelled pray

GettingTired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GettingTired
Member since 2006 • 5994 Posts
Well of course. Many religions are militant and spread their power through fear and coercion. Religion may have been intended to bring people together, but ultimately people use it to seperate themselves from others.
Ghelga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Ghelga
Member since 2004 • 4310 Posts
New Testament is old post.
notconspiracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 notconspiracy
Member since 2007 • 2225 Posts

syorks1

its a parable. he's quoting someone else

DrummerJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DrummerJon
Member since 2004 • 9668 Posts

Too bad christianity is a pacifist religion, love thy enemy, if someone strikes your cheek turn and give them the other cheek forgive those who hurt us yadda yadda (idk all the exact phrases)

queenfan66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 queenfan66
Member since 2006 • 2737 Posts
Not non-believers, just haterz.
DrummerJon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DrummerJon
Member since 2004 • 9668 Posts
Not non-believers, just haterz.queenfan66
kill dem player haters
Dreams-Visions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Dreams-Visions
[QUOTE="syorks1"]

notconspiracy

its a parable. he's quoting someone else

He wasn't even quoting someone else. He was just making an analogy that the people could identify with.

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#24 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts
[QUOTE="syorks1"]

Dreams-Visions

QFT

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

The Bible has to be always read in context.

When a verse is taken out of context or is spiritualized for its own intrepretation is dangerous. How do you think cults get formed?

turgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 turgore
Member since 2006 • 7859 Posts
Just try and do that ... Is it me or the gods are power hungry ?
Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Numbers 31: 3-18

The Bible isn't always filled with cuddly bunnies and pretty posies.