Bible says Christians should kill non-believers?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by syorks1 (824 posts) -

Do u think this verse points to that? That Christians should kill people who aren't Christian.

'Bring here those who hated me and did not want me to be their king and kill them in front of me.' Luke 19:27

Btw Jesus is technically saying this.

#2 Posted by Mutatedbloodelf (853 posts) -
Are you Christian? (thats what im going to guess by your pic.)
#3 Posted by syorks1 (824 posts) -
Are you Christian? (thats what im going to guess by your pic.)Mutatedbloodelf
My picture is of kevin Harvick a NASCAR driver which has nothing to do with Christianity but yes i am a Christian.
#4 Posted by dackchaar (3668 posts) -
It could by symbolic, or it could be literal. But if it's in the Old Testament, then it does not bind the Christians of today, the New Testament does, hence the name.
#5 Posted by syorks1 (824 posts) -
It could by symbolic, or it could be literal. But if it's in the Old Testament, then it does not bind the Christians of today, the New Testament does, hence the name.dackchaar
Luke is in the new testament
#6 Posted by Videodogg (12606 posts) -
I am a infidel, non-believer.....just try to kill me punk, i will make you prey to my knee in your face.
#7 Posted by thriteenthmonke (49824 posts) -

It could by symbolic, or it could be literal. But if it's in the Old Testament, then it does not bind the Christians of today, the New Testament does, hence the name.dackchaar

Did you read the post? He said it was from Luke (New Testament), and that it was said by Jesus.

#8 Posted by Dreams-Visions (26569 posts) -

Do u think this verse points to that? That Christians should kill people who aren't Christian.

'Bring here those who hated me and did not want me to be their king and kill them in front of me.' Luke 19:27

syorks1

No: is your answer.

Context is important. Jesus was giving an analogy there. The full analogy is 11-26. If you don't read it in context, it won't make sense.

#9 Posted by Dreams-Visions (26569 posts) -
It's an analogy; neither symbolic nor literal. It was part of a message he was trying to convey.
#10 Posted by brendandick (3338 posts) -
More open-minded everyday.
#11 Posted by Ezgam3r (2308 posts) -

You may want to read the whole passage to really understand it:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%2019:11-26;&version=31;

#12 Posted by jdmpastor (660 posts) -

No, it doesn't mean that and no Jesus is not literally teaching Christians to kill non-believers.

Simply put it is an end time teaching in which Jesus is saying He will (future) deal with those who rejected him. Whoever will not be ruled by the grace of Christ will inevitably be ruined by the wrath of Christ.

Here is what Matthew Henry has to say:

"When Christ had set up his gospel kingdom, and thereby put reputation upon the gospel ministry, then he comes to reckon with the Jews; then it is remembered against them that they had particularly disclaimed and protested against his kingly office, when they said, We have no king but Caesar, nor would own him for their king. They appealed to Caesar, and to Caesar they shall go; Caesar shall be their ruin. Then the kingdom of God appeared when vengeance was taken on those irreconcileable enemies to Christ and his government; they were brought forth and slain before him. Never was so much slaughter made in any war as in the wars of the Jews. That nation lived to see Christianity victorious in the Gentile world, in spite of their enmity and opposition to it, and then it was taken away as dross."

#13 Posted by thriteenthmonke (49824 posts) -
[QUOTE="syorks1"]

Dreams-Visions

Context is important. Jesus was giving an analogy there. The full analogy is 11-26. If you don't read it in context, it won't make sense.

I suspected as much

#14 Posted by greenprince (3332 posts) -

syorks1
What is Jesus saying here if he doesn't mean non-christians should be killed?
It's clearly part of the parable, following a chiasmus-like structure. The 'reign over' structure is repeated at the start and the end.

http://www.blueletterbible.org/cgi-bin/tools/printer-friendly.pl?book=Luk&chapter=19&version=nkjvp&Go.x=28&Go.y=10

11 Now as they heard these things, He spoke another parable, because He was near Jerusalem and because they thought the kingdom of God would appear immediately. 12 Therefore He said: "A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom and to return. 13 So he called ten of his servants, delivered to them ten *minas, and said to them, 'Do business till I come.' 14 But his citizens hated him, and sent a delegation after him, saying, 'We will not have this man to reign over us.' ...

26 'For I say to you, that to everyone who has will be given; and from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. 27 But bring here those enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, and slay them before me.'"

It is so obvious that the nobleman is saying it, that it beggars belief that anyone would think that Jesus is telling his disciples to kill. Yet Luke 19:27 is trotted around on a number of websites with that implication.
#15 Posted by Tuky06 (5026 posts) -
I thought believers had to teach non-beleivers about God, not kill them...:(
#16 Posted by jlh47 (3326 posts) -

I am a infidel, non-believer.....just try to kill me punk, i will make you prey to my knee in your face.Videodogg

if he had God on his side you'd be dead in less then a second... btw it's spelled pray

#17 Posted by GettingTired (5994 posts) -
Well of course. Many religions are militant and spread their power through fear and coercion. Religion may have been intended to bring people together, but ultimately people use it to seperate themselves from others.
#18 Posted by Ghelga (4310 posts) -
New Testament is old post.
#19 Posted by notconspiracy (2225 posts) -

syorks1

its a parable. he's quoting someone else

#20 Posted by DrummerJon (9668 posts) -

Too bad christianity is a pacifist religion, love thy enemy, if someone strikes your cheek turn and give them the other cheek forgive those who hurt us yadda yadda (idk all the exact phrases)

#21 Posted by queenfan66 (2737 posts) -
Not non-believers, just haterz.
#22 Posted by DrummerJon (9668 posts) -
Not non-believers, just haterz.queenfan66
kill dem player haters
#23 Posted by Dreams-Visions (26569 posts) -
[QUOTE="syorks1"]

notconspiracy

its a parable. he's quoting someone else

He wasn't even quoting someone else. He was just making an analogy that the people could identify with.

#24 Posted by battlefront23 (12347 posts) -
[QUOTE="syorks1"]

Dreams-Visions

QFT

#25 Posted by ASK_Story (11455 posts) -

The Bible has to be always read in context.

When a verse is taken out of context or is spiritualized for its own intrepretation is dangerous. How do you think cults get formed?

#26 Posted by turgore (7859 posts) -
Just try and do that ... Is it me or the gods are power hungry ?
#27 Posted by Cwagmire21 (5896 posts) -

Numbers 31: 3-18

The Bible isn't always filled with cuddly bunnies and pretty posies.