Best place to be born in 2013: Switzerland

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Aljosa23 (24579 posts) -

Switzerland is the best country for a baby to be born in 2013,according to a newstudy by the Economist Intelligence Unit, which is based on bothsubjective and objective quality of life factors.

The variables include life expectancy, gender equality, political freedoms, and even climate, but because the study looks at where to be born not where to live, some of the factors look at what life will be like in those countries in 2030, when children born in 2013 reach adulthood.

Rounding out the top 10 are:

2. Australia

3. Norway

4. Sweden

5. Denmark

6. Singapore

7. New Zealand

8. Netherlands

9. Canada

10. Hong Kong

Its not just the wealthy that rise to the top, and that might be why Costa Rica (#30) outranks the much wealthier Russia (#72) by so much. The report authors write:

Being rich helps more than anything else, but it is not all that counts; things like crime, trust in public institutions and the health of family life matter too. In all, the index takes 11 statistically significant indicators into account.

The United States didnt crack the top 10 this year, because American babies will inherit the large debts of the boomer generation, the researchers write.

In the 1988 survey, the United States came in first, followed closely by mostly European countries and several high-performing Asian ones, such as South Korea and Japan.

Now, Japan and South Korea rank 25 and 19, respectively, perhaps because their economies havebecomemoretroubledin recent years.

Europe has also slipped in the rankings because the ongoing euro-zone crisis there has caused severe unemployment and eroded both family and community life, the authors write.

And the bottom five Angola, Bangladesh, Ukraine, Kenya and Nigeria may come as no surprise, since they are usual suspects in perennial worst countries lists.

Disagree with the list? The fullmethodology can be foundhere.

-

Sounds about right. Canada would be higher if our current government didn't suck.

#2 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (42583 posts) -
I want to visit there.
#3 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1774 posts) -
I'd love to live there with all the equality they have :3 Seems like a nice place to live ^^ and life expectancy is always good.
#4 Posted by themajormayor (25671 posts) -
Wow the world really must suck if such a sh*tty country as Sweden makes a list
#5 Posted by Aljosa23 (24579 posts) -

Wow the world really must suck if such a sh*tty country as Sweden makes a list themajormayor
LOL I knew you'd come and point that out.

#6 Posted by chrisrooR (9026 posts) -
I want to visit there.Stevo_the_gamer
I've been several times. It's amazing, but extremely expensive. And really xenophobic. To give you a perspective, I walked around Zurich for a few hours trying out different coffee. The cheapest cup of coffee was around five dollars.
#7 Posted by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

I am not sure I would want to live in any European country circa 2050. Not even good old Switzerland

#8 Posted by themajormayor (25671 posts) -

[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Wow the world really must suck if such a sh*tty country as Sweden makes a list Aljosa23

LOL I knew you'd come and point that out.

I think we have the next Nostradamus here
#9 Posted by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

-

Sounds about right. Canada would be higher if our current government didn't suck.

Aljosa23

what is your problem with Harper anyway?

#10 Posted by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]I want to visit there.chrisrooR
I've been several times. It's amazing, but extremely expensive. And really xenophobic. To give you a perspective, I walked around Zurich for a few hours trying out different coffee. The cheapest cup of coffee was around five dollars.

They are all pretty expensive places on that top 10 list. Canada is actually probably the cheapest of them and even it has absurdly higher prices than the US.

#11 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1774 posts) -
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]I want to visit there.chrisrooR

I wonder though if their wages are high enough to support the cost of living there then :3
#12 Posted by chrisrooR (9026 posts) -
[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]I want to visit there.TrainerCeleste

I wonder though if their wages are high enough to support the cost of living there then :3

Yep. I actually met a couple locals, and inquired as to how those kinds of prices are sustainable. Turns out, for citizens the minimum wage is around 25 USD an hour at the moment. For someone working on a Visa though, the minimum wage is set much, MUCH lower. So it makes it extremely hard for anyone born outside of the country to a. Be a citizen, and b. Actually make any money. If you're born there, it's one of the nicer places to live. Zurich is my favourite European city, and I've been to several other main cities in EU.
#13 Posted by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

[QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"][QUOTE="chrisrooR"] I've been several times. It's amazing, but extremely expensive. And really xenophobic. To give you a perspective, I walked around Zurich for a few hours trying out different coffee. The cheapest cup of coffee was around five dollars.chrisrooR

Yep. I actually met a couple locals, and inquired as to how those kinds of prices are sustainable. Turns out, for citizens the minimum wage is around 25 USD an hour at the moment. For someone working on a Visa though, the minimum wage is set much, MUCH lower. So it makes it extremely hard for anyone born outside of the country to a. Be a citizen, and b. Actually make any money. If you're born there, it's one of the nicer places to live. Zurich is my favourite European city, and I've been to several other main cities in EU.

Why would anyone be an expat in Switzerland just to make minimum wage? Anyone that is going to bother probably already has a good paying career in mind.

#14 Posted by TrainerCeleste (1774 posts) -
[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"][QUOTE="chrisrooR"] I've been several times. It's amazing, but extremely expensive. And really xenophobic. To give you a perspective, I walked around Zurich for a few hours trying out different coffee. The cheapest cup of coffee was around five dollars.

In that case I'd rather be born there :P I've heard lots of nice things about it and I wouldn't mind it for all of the reasons listed :) Sounds like a nice deal for the locals :) Perhaps when I save money up I'd like to visit one time. You mentioned their xenophobic too? :3 Would they be as xenophobic if someone tried to research their culture and blend in do you think? :P Or is it xenophobic attitude due to appear perhaps :lol:
#15 Posted by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

I saw a study a while ago that had Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, and the US rounding out the top 5 list for GDP per capita. Singapore in fact was up $50,000 per head over Switzerland.

I know money isn't everything but it does help to insulate you from the world's problems.

#16 Posted by chrisrooR (9026 posts) -

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="TrainerCeleste"] I wonder though if their wages are high enough to support the cost of living there then :3Storm_Marine

Why would anyone be an expat in Switzerland just to make minimum wage? Anyone that is going to bother probably already has a good paying career in mind.

Because the standard of life is ridiculous. There isn't any garbage anywhere, and even the fast food is made to different, higher, standards. It's amazing and weird at the same time :P. The problem with having a career in Switzerland is that the government is extremely selective with who's allowed to do business there. A local was chatting me up when I was out for a walk, and he was a retired investment banker. He explained to me that Switzerland has contractual agreements with several European countries that allows people to migrate there for business, and at the same time limiting these people based on their financial status by making everything so expensive and exclusive. Basically, they just want the rich immigrating. Because the prospect of being a citizen gives someone an incredible upper hand, people are willing to work for practically nothing so their children can be born there. So you mostly see immigrants working in shops on Visas, as servers...etc. totally relying on tips to make it by.
#17 Posted by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"] Yep. I actually met a couple locals, and inquired as to how those kinds of prices are sustainable. Turns out, for citizens the minimum wage is around 25 USD an hour at the moment. For someone working on a Visa though, the minimum wage is set much, MUCH lower. So it makes it extremely hard for anyone born outside of the country to a. Be a citizen, and b. Actually make any money. If you're born there, it's one of the nicer places to live. Zurich is my favourite European city, and I've been to several other main cities in EU.chrisrooR

Because the standard of life is ridiculous. There isn't any garbage anywhere, and even the fast food is made to different, higher, standards.

While garbage-free streets are always nice. It would take more than minimum wage to make me want to move to another country.

Unless of course I was orginally from Africa or the Middle East.

#18 Posted by chrisrooR (9026 posts) -

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"][QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

Storm_Marine

Because the standard of life is ridiculous. There isn't any garbage anywhere, and even the fast food is made to different, higher, standards.

While garbage-free streets are always nice. It would take more than minimum wage to make me want to move to another country.

Other things - you're a two hour train ride from Germany, France, Austria and Italy (about 2.5 hours). All of which you can freely travel between and visit for the day. The food is ridiculously good, as is the healthcare. And as a bonus, you can clearly see the swiss alps in the background of the city in the distance over the Lake Zurich sits on. Public transportation is amazing, and above-ground trams dominate the city streets. And public drinking is completely legal. You can literally walk into a supermarket, buy a six pack of tallboys, walk out and crack one right on the sidewalk. And crime? Virtually non-existent. At any time of the night you don't feel unsafe walking around the city. But again, you gotta have the coin to live there in the first place. Small apartments can go for over 1,000,000 CHF.
#19 Posted by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

[QUOTE="Storm_Marine"]

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"] Because the standard of life is ridiculous. There isn't any garbage anywhere, and even the fast food is made to different, higher, standards. chrisrooR

Other things - you're a two hour train ride from Germany, France, Austria and Italy (about 2.5 hours). All of which you can freely travel between and visit for the day. The food is ridiculously good, as is the healthcare. And as a bonus, you can clearly see the swiss alps in the background of the city in the distance over the Lake Zurich sits on. Public transportation is amazing, and above-ground trams dominate the city streets. And public drinking is completely legal. You can literally walk into a supermarket, buy a six pack of tallboys, walk out and crack one right on the sidewalk. And crime? Virtually non-existent. At any time of the night you don't feel unsafe walking around the city. But again, you gotta have the coin to live there in the first place. Small apartments can go for over 1,000,000 CHF.

I have briefly been to Zurich actually. You don't have to tell me the nice aspects of it.

#20 Posted by chrisrooR (9026 posts) -
One of the negatives though, and this is a big one for myself, is that the age to buy cigarettes there is 16. And everyone smokes. Everyone. It's only been outlawed in bars since 2010.
#21 Posted by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

One of the negatives though, and this is a big one for myself, is that the age to buy cigarettes there is 16. And everyone smokes. Everyone. It's only been outlawed in bars since 2010. chrisrooR

do you remember how much a pack costs?

#22 Posted by wis3boi (31009 posts) -

Because Switzerland is a BAMF

#23 Posted by chrisrooR (9026 posts) -

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"]One of the negatives though, and this is a big one for myself, is that the age to buy cigarettes there is 16. And everyone smokes. Everyone. It's only been outlawed in bars since 2010. Storm_Marine

do you remember how much a pack costs?

Eeeeh, I wanna say around 6.50CHF, so around 7 bucks USD?
#24 Posted by Postal_Guy (2643 posts) -

Yay nr. 8

NL always does good on these sorta lists XD

#25 Posted by themajormayor (25671 posts) -
One of the negatives though, and this is a big one for myself, is that the age to buy cigarettes there is 16. And everyone smokes. Everyone. It's only been outlawed in bars since 2010. chrisrooR
The only negative I see here is that it's outlawed in bars