Best method to learn Microsoft Excel?

#1 Posted by Ackad (3150 posts) -

Hey OT Community,

I do not have too much knowledge regarding the fundamentals of Excel. I've read some books, however I believe that visualization is best suited for my learning. Can anyone recommend me methods of learning Excel? Any training dvds on Amazon? Youtube is rather complicated due to the fact that people post videos that are beyond introduction (or 101) levels.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Edited by jasean79 (2338 posts) -

Sign up for a class at a local community college. My dad teaches introductory courses to Excel and he has a lot of different age groups that sign up. I believe the best way to learn is through being taught.

#3 Edited by DaBrainz (7623 posts) -

F1 does wonders

#4 Edited by comp_atkins (31213 posts) -

are you looking to do something specifically with it? i learned over time just by using it for things i needed. if there was something i didn't know how to do, google was my friend.

#5 Edited by Ackad (3150 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

Sign up for a class at a local community college. My dad teaches introductory courses to Excel and he has a lot of different age groups that sign up. I believe the best way to learn is through being taught.

Not disagreeing there. However, I did take a class (Computer Information Systems 101) and while I obtained some knowledge towards excel, it's not enough since college semesters are 3+ months. This is going towards my Finance degree.

#6 Posted by SaintLeonidas (25922 posts) -

Just google vlookup & sumifs and you'll be fine.

#7 Posted by SwagSurf (3014 posts) -

are you looking to do something specifically with it? i learned over time just by using it for things i needed. if there was something i didn't know how to do, google was my friend.

Most likely for Business: accounting or finance?

EDIT: Yea finance.

#8 Edited by jasean79 (2338 posts) -

@Ackad said:

@jasean79 said:

Not disagreeing there. However, I did take a class (Computer Information Systems 101) and while I obtained some knowledge towards excel, it's not enough since college semesters are 3+ months. This is going towards my Finance degree.

See if you can find a class that caters specifically towards Excel. Maybe attend night classes a few days a week or something. I think most only run a month or two.

#9 Posted by Ackad (3150 posts) -

@jasean79 said:

@Ackad said:

@jasean79 said:

See if you can find a class that caters specifically towards Excel. Maybe attend night classes a few days a week or something. I think most only run a month or two.

Hopefully my college will have that class that's specifically towards Excel. My CIS101 class was very diverse in MS Office.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll look into the class and the suggestions.