Best company to invest in, Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo

This topic is locked from further discussion.

pink_floyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 pink_floyd123
Member since 2006 • 1334 Posts

I'm looking to invest in one of these companies...I've been thinking about Sony since I believe PS3 sales will go up when the new console somes out (80gig), but I don't know much about their other divisions. Opinions?

*NOTE: This is not a topic about which company is "better" and doesn't belong in system wars because both Microsoft and Sony have many products outside of game consoles.

ColdRush88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 ColdRush88
Member since 2008 • 1192 Posts
Sony is the most future proof company out there. They make alot of varied products (like...everything) and they make them very reliable. Not to mention they are huge (the company).
honkyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#3 honkyjoe
Member since 2005 • 5907 Posts
Sony
marcus4hire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 marcus4hire
Member since 2003 • 2684 Posts

Sony.

Most diverse. Has all sorts of other ocmpany's, no just Sony Corp.

MS might not have been a bad buy when Gates stepped down but I dunno how it is now. Didn't follow it.

Nintendo could make a bad move and shut down. They were right on with the Wii but what if.....????

EDIT: That is a very broad, overgeneralized, uninformed analysis. Would need a few weeks to perform a proper fundamental analysis.

H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 H8sMikeMoore
Member since 2008 • 5427 Posts

I'm looking to invest in one of these companies...I've been thinking about Sony since I believe PS3 sales will go up when the new console somes out (80gig), but I don't know much about their other divisions. Opinions?

*NOTE: This is not a topic about which company is "better" and doesn't belong in system wars because both Microsoft and Sony have many products outside of game consoles.

pink_floyd123

id say sony, you wanna by low. and theyll get back up there one day.

DanteSuikoden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DanteSuikoden
Member since 2008 • 3427 Posts
You would have the better bet with Sony
ferret837

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 ferret837
Member since 2004 • 1942 Posts
Sony, they pretty much make everything electronic.
Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#8 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts
System Wars..?
ColdRush88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ColdRush88
Member since 2008 • 1192 Posts

System Wars..?Vexx88

...no...

This topic is about which company is the best to invest in. Which investment would be most beneficial. If the TC had asked "which company make the best consoles" then we could all say this topic is in the wrong place.

H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 H8sMikeMoore

System Wars..?Vexx88

this isnt about what system has the best games.

its about what company makes you the most money.

this is the right forum

Vexx88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#11 Vexx88
Member since 2006 • 33342 Posts

[QUOTE="Vexx88"]System Wars..?ColdRush88

...no...

This topic is about which company is the best to invest in. Which investment would be most beneficial. If the TC had asked "which company make the best consoles" then we could all say this topic is in the wrong place.

Ahh. Ok I appologize. I didnt read the thread correctly :P
stedtfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 stedtfeld
Member since 2008 • 1506 Posts
Microsoft
Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts
Not Nintendo, their stock is way to high right now.
kingyotoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kingyotoX
Member since 2007 • 2689 Posts

Not Nintendo, their stock is way to high right now.thriteenthmonke

My thought as well if you would have bought it a couple years ago it would have been a goos investment.

Avatar image for thriteenthmonke
thriteenthmonke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 thriteenthmonke
Member since 2005 • 49823 Posts

[QUOTE="thriteenthmonke"]Not Nintendo, their stock is way to high right now.kingyotoX

My thought as well if you would have bought it a couple years ago it would have been a goos investment.

I told my dad to buy Nintendo stock in 2005, but he didn't. :(
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#16 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts

Sony is going to start losing market share to cheaper electronics manufacturers (oh who am I kidding, they already are) and their big Blu-ray gamble is going to be slow to produce results, if it ever really takes off before digital distribution enters more homes than it already has.

Microsoft is rocky, too, with Windows taking hits from both Apple and Linux in its licensing for the notebook market and the ridiculous number of 360s coming in for repairs.

Nintendo's stock is insanely high from the myriad of investors circle jerking into Iwata's face, and as soon as that fad bubble bursts they'll run off to find someone else to spooge over.

So, none of them. Get some index funds instead. Less exciting, but more reliable.

andyboiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 andyboiii
Member since 2006 • 13628 Posts
I would invest in Sony
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#18 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Microsoft more diverse products. But if were my money I'd go with Google.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

I wouldn't invest in any of these. But if you're deadset on the idea, here's what you're looking at:

Nintendo

Very pricey, very low volume. It's got another listing that prices it at 62.25, but that's still expensive, and with low volume. It also trades sporadically on the Pink Sheets, which is a hotbed for scamming on the US Exchanges. You'll get all sorts of crap listed there, including a lot of international companies which are interested in nothing more than a pump and dump to steal peoples' money to fund their early development. Now Nintendo obviously isn't in the same boat, since it's obviously an established company. But nothing about its charts are suggesting it's a good buy right now. With resistance just above $70 on the cheaper listing, the upside potential is limited.

Sony

This one's a better contender, listed on the NY Exchange, and trading for a little over $40. It also happens to be sitting at an important support level at the moment - though I should caution you that you don't want to be buying right now unless you like to gamble, because a stock sitting on support could just as easily fall through as it could bounce off. If it does fall through, the picture is not pretty. The lowest it has gone in two years was a brief stint to 37.50, but it could fall much lower in this economic climate. As far as upside, you could make a relatively significant gain if it bounces back as it did the last time it was at these levels, but that's far from a guarantee, especially since it failed to climb back above $55 where it was sitting in January. Realistically, I'd say your resistance is at about $50 right now.

So the stock's in decline right now. If you like to gamble and see it break above 42.50 (current short-term resistance), you may consider it for a short-term trade. But it's a risky investment. Given the bearish overall market sentiment, I wouldn't put money on a bet that this is the bottom.

Microsoft

Microsoft is better than Nintendo, but it's still a weak looking chart. Change the time scale to 2 years and you'll see what I mean. Long term support at 27.50 has been violated. That means that it's worthy of consideration for short selling, but a lousy candidate for buying. And there's plenty of resistance below $30. So stay away from it for now.

Of the three, I'd have to go with the majority and say that Sony is the only one that merits any consideration whatsoever right now. And as I mentioned before, I would definitely not be investing in it for myself. None of this deals with the company's fundamentals, though, so if you really believe one of these three has the right competitive advantage to beat out its competitors in the coming years, that's your choice. But I just trade the charts. If a company is doing something worthwhile, it'll have a good chart pattern.

cool_baller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cool_baller
Member since 2003 • 12493 Posts
Niether. You have a better chance of winning the lottery the hitting it big on the Stock Market.
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

Niether. You have a better chance of winning the lottery the hitting it big on the Stock Market.cool_baller

Not true at all, since you can study proper investing strategies to increase your chances of making good investment decisions, but you can't study to increase your chances of winning the lottery (at least not in any significant way). If what you say were true, how is it that stock investing, in the long run, has consistently outperformed any other form of investment? Millions of people benefit from it, and far more people have become millionaires on the markets than have become millionaires playing the lottery.

behem0th247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 behem0th247
Member since 2007 • 452 Posts
I wouldn't say Nintendo, as they only have games to rely on,the wii may be selling alot but aparantly Nintendo is running out of the hard-drive that is needed to make wii's work.
H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 H8sMikeMoore

[QUOTE="cool_baller"]Niether. You have a better chance of winning the lottery the hitting it big on the Stock Market.pianist

Not true at all, since you can study proper investing strategies to increase your chances of making good investment decisions, but you can't study to increase your chances of winning the lottery (at least not in any significant way). If what you say were true, how is it that stock investing, in the long run, has consistently outperformed any other form of investment? Millions of people benefit from it, and far more people have become millionaires on the markets than have become millionaires playing the lottery.

good work.

AgileNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AgileNate
Member since 2003 • 2999 Posts

Sony or Microsoft. Sony makes many products but also creates products that should have never had a thought. MS might make an amazing move after showing how serious they were with Yahoo! or they may buy something stupid.

Nintendo is just some trend for casuals or health nuts.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38686 Posts
sony is trading close to their 52 week low. which means it could be a bargin if it turns things around.
Honenheim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Honenheim
Member since 2007 • 5402 Posts
Unlike other companies, sony has exlusive rights to the blu ray technology....so i would go with them.
ff7cloudking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#27 ff7cloudking
Member since 2005 • 3161 Posts
You definitly want to pick sony. They make more electronics than either Microsoft or Nintendo, even if their games division isnt doing to hot right now.
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts
So I was wondering to myself, where can I go to find financial advice? I know! I'll post on Gamespot!
NaiKoN9293

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 NaiKoN9293
Member since 2004 • 4102 Posts

[QUOTE="cool_baller"]Niether. You have a better chance of winning the lottery the hitting it big on the Stock Market.pianist

hey, you're smart. so what stocks would you recommend right now? or is that something you wouldn't want to share?

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

If you have the money get some Apple stock (trading at $154 at the closing bell today).

You should see that thing go when they announce anything new so try to get it on a downward swing.

Amazon has been a good one for me as well. I never put to much into these big popular names, to much volatility for my liking.

O, and I personally see MS's stock as a short term profit.

Jan 2005 = Selling at $25.00

Today = Selling at $25.50

H8sMikeMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 H8sMikeMoore

Unlike other companies, sony has exlusive rights to the blu ray technology....so i would go with them.Honenheim

thats actually a good reason not to invest.

Avatar image for mistervengeance
mistervengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mistervengeance
Member since 2006 • 6769 Posts
sony followed by nintendo
Games_pro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Games_pro
Member since 2007 • 220 Posts
Sony,best electronics in the world has the sony logo on it ,no company can beat that
Kuhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Kuhu
Member since 2004 • 2845 Posts
Go with Sony, even if they aren't leading in the Console Wars, they are still making loads of profits in other hardware sales.
pink_floyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 pink_floyd123
Member since 2006 • 1334 Posts
Thanks. Sony sounds like my best bet. If any of you are willing I'd like to get some opinions on Intel/AMD/Nvidia.
vivelaps3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 vivelaps3
Member since 2007 • 1060 Posts
I would pick sony but thats my choice
Honenheim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Honenheim
Member since 2007 • 5402 Posts

[QUOTE="Honenheim"]Unlike other companies, sony has exlusive rights to the blu ray technology....so i would go with them.H8sMikeMoore

thats actually a good reason not to invest.

How so ?

NSR34GTR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 NSR34GTR
Member since 2007 • 13179 Posts
sony...they make lots of electrical products