Best British bands of the 90s?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Film-Guy (26778 posts) -

There were tons of great British bands during the 90s, many of them were underrated and forgotten. This time I wil not list a top 10, instead I will just list the awesome ones.

Blur
Pulp
The Verve
Supergrass
The Stone roses
The Bluetones
Menswear
Kula Shaker
Pureessence
Doves
Ocean Colour scene
Charlatans UK
Mansun
Radiohead
The unbelieveable truth
Gene
Low
Spiritualized
Porcupine tree
South
Chameleons
Embrace
Longpigs
Kent
Marion
Rialto
Geneva
Super Furry Animals
Cast
The La's
Boo Radleys
Elastica
Suede
Jesus and Mary Chain
Lush
Sleeper
Dodgy
Elbow

#2 Posted by Mr47fitter (2273 posts) -
Radiohead/thread
#3 Posted by CBR600-RR (9690 posts) -

Radiohead/threadMr47fitter

Portishead/thread

#4 Posted by freek666 (22312 posts) -
Porcupine Tree
#5 Posted by UnrighteousFury (2764 posts) -

You've pretty much hit all of them in your list, Film-Guy. I'm an especially big fan of The La's.

One question though. Since when is Low British? The only Low I know of is from Minnesota.

And I'm not the biggest Oasis fan, but they at least deserve mention.

#6 Posted by t3hrubikscube (20416 posts) -
I'm going to agree on Radiohead and add Oasis.
#7 Posted by Film-Guy (26778 posts) -

You've pretty much hit all of them in your list, Film-Guy. I'm an especially big fan of The La's.

One question though. Since when is Low British? The only Low I know of is from Minnesota.

UnrighteousFury

Even though I think Oasis are incredibly generic, you are right that they deserve a mention.

#8 Posted by Proobie44 (5656 posts) -
I'm obviously gonna go with RadioHead
#9 Posted by lancelot200 (61977 posts) -
Porcupine Treefreek666
That's the right choice to make.
#10 Posted by maccer101 (4257 posts) -
some of the bands you mentioned minus a few of them, also oasis and shed 7
#11 Posted by Film-Guy (26778 posts) -

Radiohead/threadMr47fitter

I like Radiohead, but their depressing music can get on my nerves at times. I think the super furry animals are a much better and more diverse band overall. Shame they dont get as much attention as the bigger bands.

#12 Posted by Guppy507 (17396 posts) -

Porcupine Tree (favorite band)

Muse

Radiohead

Placebo

#13 Posted by Guppy507 (17396 posts) -

[QUOTE="freek666"]Porcupine Treelancelot200
That's the right choice to make.

More and more people here are beginning to appreciate them more I guess *high five*

#14 Posted by Darth-Caedus (20756 posts) -
Porcupine Tree is the only band that comes to mind.
#15 Posted by Mr47fitter (2273 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mr47fitter"]Radiohead/threadFilm-Guy

I like Radiohead, but their depressing music can get on my nerves at times. I think the super furry animals are a much better and more diverse band overall. Shame they dont get as much attention as the bigger bands.

I'll tell you why they do not receive alot of attention, they're diverse due to a lack of direction and they don't sound too great either, which is more important then being different.

#16 Posted by lancelot200 (61977 posts) -

[QUOTE="freek666"] Porcupine TreeGuppy507

That's the right choice to make. lancelot200

More and more people here are beginning to appreciate them more I guess *high five*

A lot of metalheads enjoy this particular band including the user that I quoted below.

Porcupine Tree is the only band that comes to mind.Darth-Caedus

#17 Posted by Film-Guy (26778 posts) -
[QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

[QUOTE="Mr47fitter"]Radiohead/threadMr47fitter

I'll tell you why they do not receive alot of attention, they're diverse due to a lack of direction and they don't sound too great either, which is more important then being different.

Their sound is weird and hard to get into, but I think they sound great and I dont mind that their style is all over the place, their album Rings around the world is one of my favorites. Lets just agree to disagree:P

#18 Posted by Oyeoyeoye (479 posts) -
[QUOTE="UnrighteousFury"]

Film-Guy

Even though I think Oasis are incredibly generic, you are right that they deserve a mention.

Hell of a lot better than Blur. :P
#19 Posted by Mr47fitter (2273 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mr47fitter"][QUOTE="Film-Guy"]

Film-Guy

Their sound is weird and hard to get into, but I think they sound great and I dont mind that their style is all over the place, their album Rings around the world is one of my favorites. Lets just agree to disagree:P

Its not that I don't like them, its just I don't think they're anywhere near as great as Radiohead. On the other hand that's the same story with 90% of other bands in my opinion.

#20 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151504 posts) -
Placebo. The correct answer.
#21 Posted by Mr47fitter (2273 posts) -

Placebo. The correct answer.LJS9502_basic

The Pixies?

#22 Posted by Guppy507 (17396 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Placebo. The correct answer.Mr47fitter

The Pixies?

I prefer Placebo to The Pixies.

#23 Posted by Film-Guy (26778 posts) -

Their sound is weird and hard to get into, but I think they sound great and I dont mind that their ****is all over the place, their album Rings around the world is one of my favorites. Lets just agree to disagree:P

Its not that I don't like them, its just I don't think they're anywhere near as great as Radiohead. On the other hand that's the same story with 90% of other bands in my opinion.

Since you are a radiohead fan, I think you would like the bands Elbow, Kent, and Gomez. Kent especially, they are a swedish bad and they have a similar melancholy sound that Radiohead has.

#24 Posted by Bauers-Twin (14150 posts) -
Radiohead, Muse, Placebo. oh, and Stone Roses were in the early 90's.
#25 Posted by Film-Guy (26778 posts) -

Radiohead, Muse, Placebo. oh, and Stone Roses were in the early 90's.Bauers-Twin

Well tecnically the stone roses made their best album in the late 80s.

#26 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151504 posts) -
[QUOTE="Mr47fitter"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Placebo. The correct answer.Guppy507

The Pixies?

I prefer Placebo to the Pixies as well....:o
#27 Posted by Guppy507 (17396 posts) -
[QUOTE="Guppy507"][QUOTE="Mr47fitter"]

The Pixies?

LJS9502_basic

I prefer Placebo to the Pixies as well....:o

Woah, we're like.... similar and stuff:o

#28 Posted by Bauers-Twin (14150 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bauers-Twin"]Radiohead, Muse, Placebo. oh, and Stone Roses were in the early 90's.Film-Guy

Well tecnically the stone roses made their best album in the late 80s.

I know but they were still a band in the earli 90's.