Best and worst movie of 2013?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jd1680a (5945 posts) -

What is the best and worst movie you have seen that came out in 2013?

Best movie Hobbit 2

Worst movie After Earth

#2 Posted by Flubbbs (3151 posts) -

the best is gonna be The wolf of wall street and the worst has to best After Earth

#3 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5388 posts) -

The new Hobbit movie was pretty average in my opinion, I've seen a number of films this year I enjoyed more.

#4 Edited by sukraj (23060 posts) -

Best - Man of Steel

Worst - After Earth

#5 Posted by benleslie5 (7877 posts) -

Best- Pacific Rim and Wreck-it Ralph (UK Release)

Worst- Dark Skies

#6 Posted by Flubbbs (3151 posts) -

i have to throw American Hustle in there.. movie was great

#7 Posted by ferrari2001 (17002 posts) -

I'm gonna go ahead and claim that either The Wolf of Wall Street or American Hustle are going to be the best films of 2013, even though I haven't seen either yet. The worst definitely goes to After Earth.

#8 Posted by Spazzh20 (58 posts) -

Best Foreign film: Secrets of the tribe, a Brazilian documentary. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secrets_of_the_Tribe

Worst foreign film: Wadjda A stupid film about a girl who wins a koran reciting contest to win enough money to buy a bycycle. It's as by the numbers as a film like this gets, but it's politicaly acurate so it gets an unnesisary amount of praise.

Best American Film: 12 years a slave. A great way of showing just how much violence you can shove into a mainstream movie, under the guise of it being historicaly accurate.

Worst American Film: Scary Movie 5 (Is this even a contest)

#9 Posted by MrXboxOne (743 posts) -

Best: Prisoners

Worst: The Call

#10 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26351 posts) -

Still need to see a few ('Her', 'The Wolf of Wall Street') but at the moment I'd say 'Before Midnight' is the best and 'A Good Day To Die Hard' is easily the worst.

#11 Posted by ferrari2001 (17002 posts) -

Just saw American Hustle, definitely the best film I've seen this year.

#12 Edited by LZ71 (10289 posts) -

A Haunted House was easily the worst movie I've seen this year. I watched it because I was bored and had to skip certain parts because they were so terrible.

Honestly I have no idea what the best movie I've seen would be. I can't remember any of the movies I saw at the beginning of the year, which is pretty sad. Since I went to college I have only seen one movie in theaters, and while I enjoyed it I wouldn't call it the best movie of the year.

#13 Posted by iwilson1296 (2214 posts) -

for me the best i remember was Dredd with the worst being After Earth

#14 Posted by FreedomFreeLife (2517 posts) -

Best: Catching Fire

Worst: Man of Steel

#15 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17512 posts) -

Of what I have seen:

Best: Hobbit 2 or The Conjuring. The Hobbit was such a freaking phenomenal movie that actually EXCEEDED my expectations and managed to be up there with the original LoTR trilogy in terms of quality. The Cojuring also gets a nod considering it is by FAR the best horror movie I have ever seen and it managed to scare me way more than any movie I have ever seen which is a feat considering my love for the horror genre.

Worst: Hate to say it but The Worlds End gets this for me. I have avoided seeing the universally panned movies, so I got to go with this movie. It was VERY disappointingly average for me. The movie was just completely unremarkable to me and yet I had been looking forward to it very much.

Really am not too interested in the slew of award-show-fodder movies coming out this month. Wolf of Wall Street looks interesting, but American Hustle does not. Really would only care about seeing Jennifer Lawrence being sexy in that movie as the preview suggests she might.

#16 Edited by indzman (18144 posts) -

@Jd1680a said:

What is the best and worst movie you have seen that came out in 2013?

Best movie Hobbit 2

Worst movie After Earth

agree

#17 Edited by destinhpark (4753 posts) -

The best film so FAR has been American Hustle. Now, The Wolf of Wall Street isn't out quite yet so I can't make an official decision yet. But American Hustle was masterful.

Worst. Hm.

White House Down.

#18 Edited by DharmaMember77 (2377 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Really am not too interested in the slew of award-show-fodder movies coming out this month.

So you're not interested in good movies?

#19 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26351 posts) -

@destinhpark said:

The best film so FAR has been American Hustle.

This is the only film I have seen so far this year, which has received quite a bit of critical praise, that I personally can't see what people find so great about it, beside the performances.

#20 Posted by ChiefvsGordon (1085 posts) -

the worst movie I seen this year was Grown Ups 2. My gf loved the first movie, I hated the first movie. she dragged me along to watch this piece of garbage. do not waste your time, it is one of the worst movies I have ever seen in my life.

#21 Posted by Aljosa23 (25130 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas said:

@destinhpark said:

This is the only film I have seen so far this year, which has received quite a bit of critical praise, that I personally can't see what people find so great about it, beside the performances.

It's a David O. Russell film so it's bound to be overrated.

Best: 12 Years A Slave, Inside Llewyn Davis, Her, Nebraska
Worst: Only God Forgives, Evil Dead

#22 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26351 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@destinhpark said:

It's a David O. Russell film so it's bound to be overrated.

Best: 12 Years A Slave, Inside Llewyn Davis, Her, Nebraska

Worst: Only God Forgives, Evil Dead

I REALLY liked 'Silver Lining Playbook', but just found everything in 'American Hustle' to be SO hollow. Could not have cared less about the characters or the outcome of the story...which is pretty damn important in a film about an important con job.

Also, 'Inside Llewyn Davis' was SO damn good.

#23 Posted by lamprey263 (24208 posts) -

worst probably goes to Lone Ranger

#24 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17512 posts) -

@DharmaMember77 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

Really am not too interested in the slew of award-show-fodder movies coming out this month.

I am interested in actually good movies, not these overrated movies specifically made to try and get the award show committees to jerk themselves over.

#25 Posted by Aljosa23 (25130 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@DharmaMember77 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

I am interested in actually good movies, not these overrated movies specifically made to try and get the award show committees to jerk themselves over.

How do you know they're overrated if you didn't see them?

#26 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (17512 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@DharmaMember77 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

You do realize that we get the same slew of movies every year at this time, right? It's always these dramas specifically designed to go after awards and the committees will predictably praise them to high heaven as if the movies are something totally new and unique.

The next couple months are going to be the bad drought now where the studios shove their worst movies so these next couple months are going to be the time to save money and avoid the theater unless you need to catch up on a movie or two.

#27 Edited by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

@Aljosa23: same way that f2001 knew that American hustle was going to be among the best he's seen this year before seeing it

#28 Posted by PSP107 (11924 posts) -

Movies been awful since 2000.

#29 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

Basically some people let expectations cloud their judgement

#30 Edited by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

@PSP107: no no no no no no no no

#31 Posted by DharmaMember77 (2377 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@DharmaMember77 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

You do realize that we get the same slew of movies every year at this time, right? It's always these dramas specifically designed to go after awards and the committees will predictably praise them to high heaven as if the movies are something totally new and unique.

So movies actually made for adults end up getting all the awards attention OH THE HUMANITY!

#32 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26351 posts) -

Thread took a turn towards the very dumb.

#33 Edited by PSP107 (11924 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

@PSP107: no no no no no no no no

The quality of movies(and tv) was better in the 90's.

#34 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas: I agree

#35 Posted by Aljosa23 (25130 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@Aljosa23 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@DharmaMember77 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

The next couple months are going to be the bad drought now where the studios shove their worst movies so these next couple months are going to be the time to save money and avoid the theater unless you need to catch up on a movie or two.

You didn't answer my question, instead you just went off some tangent that has nothing to do with anything. Yes, studios always keep their best movies in time for the holidays and award season, so fvcking what? The video game industry does the same shit, they release their best and most hyped games around the holiday season... because that's the time when people most spend money.

I'll ask you again: how do you know they're overrated if you didn't see them? I'd prefer an actual response rather than nerd rage because your favourite film this year isn't nominated for anything.

#36 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

Doesn't aljosa also pull the oscar bait card

#37 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

Do game people release stuff around the holidYs. Guessing from October till December. I can see that. Console releases most definitely.

#38 Edited by Aljosa23 (25130 posts) -

@dave123321 said:

Doesn't aljosa also pull the oscar bait card

No? I never use that term.

All films are technically "Oscar bait". Everyone makes films with the hope of winning awards and what not. Singling out a few is just shit critique.

#39 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@mrxboxone said:

Best: Prisoners

Worst: The Call

Obvious troll is obvious.

#40 Edited by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

@Aljosa23: hunk it was that one movie about hushpuppy and her adventures

#41 Edited by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

Not going to bother fixing up the quotes since I can't

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="dave123321"]Unlike Aljosa, I liked beasts of the southern wild. But he also overpraises skyfall, so I don't know what to think.

Aljosa

I don't overpraise anything. And in terms of Beasts of the Southern Wild, that film's shaky cam and Oscar-baity story tricked everyone. At least the little girl was good.

SaintLeonidas

The term 'Oscar bait' has become more cliche than any film, Oscar nominated or not, can ever be at this point.

Dharma

The term "Oscar bait" really doesn't have any meaning anymore. People only say it to films or performances they don't like and try to belittle it by making it seem like it's only purpose was to gather awards.

#42 Posted by Aljosa23 (25130 posts) -

Man you went back a year for that lol.

That movie is shit but I didn't say it was Oscar bait. Just had a very schmaltzy story.

#44 Posted by dave123321 (34152 posts) -

Oh guess I was wrong about that then.

Thought it seems like the other two quoties were also confused

#45 Posted by AvatarMan96 (7324 posts) -

Haven't seen as many movies this year as I did last year, but...

Best: Man of Steel

Worst: The Last Exorcism Part II

#46 Posted by __Kaine__ (1305 posts) -

Best: Pacific Rim..

Worst: Scary Movie 5.. it's just not funny anymore..