Beginning to feel ashamed being an American..

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Hakumen21 (342 posts) -
I don't even know how to start. I'll try to keep it simple. USA has the most gun-related deaths annually. Aurora and Newtown Massacres happen. -Blames video games out of the blue- "Gun control won't solve anything." Then we have this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QhcEsG-y98&lc=AauYe45pTx3foNNjrY1THn4Wkq-BDhJdgIVC10QYBQk Bill O'reilly, a dickhead that has obviously not had sex in decades, or a brain has his own show. This also goes for a lot of other dumb, tunnel-minded people. and ..FOX News, and lying media. Religion, which is the largest form of mental slavery dominated half the country. This isn't even an opinion. It's a definite fact. If you feel agitated by what I said^, answer this question then.. Do you genuinely love your God? Or are you just scared you're gonna be punished in an eternally firey hell if you don't? I'm not expecting any honest answer. For a country that constantly brags and boasts about our 'Rights', I sure don't notice much of a difference between here, the UK, Australia or Canada. Most of our cops are generally fat and are just there to enforce the law, rather than to protect the citizens from harm. I'm hesitant to even to even defend myself if I were to be assaulted, with or without a deadly weapon, b/c I may get arrested for it. KIlled a guy in self defense? You're going to jail anyways! If not, here are 250 papers and forms that need to be filled out. Also, go to court in 3 months. Which also makes me question this, A lot of ppl were shot in Aurora theatre, yet the shooter still needs to have a proper case? I guess, all those ppl who got shot and were traumatized by it were just actors.. smh. And it's hilarious how we have a Caution label on literally everything. 'Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear.' 'Do not dive into this toilet. It may cause fatal injuries.' 'Do not play with Matches. It may cause a fire.' 'Do not kick this very dangerous and sharp object. It may cause bleeding or fatal injury. 'Don't put your baby face down in the goddamn fish tank.' It's rather sad that College students on facebook may potentially be much more reasonable, even better politicians that we have now. According to Congress, Pizza is now a vegetable. There are a lot of smart and reasonable ppl in the US. However, there are a lot more morons here. "If you dont like America, then get out!" I've been born and raised in the US all my life. ..but believe me. Once I am able, I probably would. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on this. Am I? EDIT: Impulsive thread. My mistake. Nothing to discuss. If I were to elaborate, it would have been pages long. Ain't nobody got time for that. Mods, close thread please.
#2 Posted by hippiesanta (9915 posts) -
go join Al-Qaeda
#3 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5391 posts) -
Yep, America is weird. Very few Americans can see this though - you really need an outside perspective to see how backwards the place in is many aspects. When it comes to religion, the USA is a bit of an anomaly too.
#4 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5517 posts) -
[QUOTE="Hakumen21"]"If you dont live America, then get out!" I've been born and raised in the US all my life. ..but believe me. Once I am able, I probably would.

Good. And it's love, not live.
#5 Posted by CreasianDevaili (4178 posts) -
You're not alone on many of those. But most of us are not alone and like the friends and family we have here. So instead of leaving we'd rather stay and put forth some effort to help things along. But I am unsure if this is a troll thread. Mainly because you mentioned how that theater shooter shouldn't deserve a proper trial.
#6 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5517 posts) -
You're not alone on many of those. But most of us are not alone and like the friends and family we have here. So instead of leaving we'd rather stay and put forth some effort to help things along. But I am unsure if this is a troll thread. Mainly because you mentioned how that theater shooter shouldn't deserve a proper trial.CreasianDevaili
Read the thread again, the thing about cops is false and the hissy fit on video games is common in Europe as well.
#7 Posted by Hakumen21 (342 posts) -
go join Al-Qaedahippiesanta
of course. everyone that isn't fond of Amurrica' is a terrorist.
You're not alone on many of those. But most of us are not alone and like the friends and family we have here. So instead of leaving we'd rather stay and put forth some effort to help things along. But I am unsure if this is a troll thread. Mainly because you mentioned how that theater shooter shouldn't deserve a proper trial.CreasianDevaili
internet text is easy to take out of context, but what I meant about the proper trial was that I assumed they still needed evidence etc. everyone knows and saw what he did, but then again, I am no expert of how court trials go. so if I am wrong, I stand corrected.
#9 Posted by cheese_game619 (13316 posts) -
i will travel to america one day soon as i hear you have loose women
#10 Posted by Ace6301 (21389 posts) -
Everywhere has it's problems. Americas problems are just very exposed and out there for all to see in large part because of the amount of people from the US on the internet and because the culture has always been very into politics. The US isn't perfect but it's far from bad or worth being ashamed of.
#11 Posted by dramaybaz (6020 posts) -
I feel the same, and I am not even American. :P But on the same planet :/
#12 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13183 posts) -

I lost count of how many over-generalizations you made.

Bill O'Riely hasn't had sex in decades? How would you know?

Most cops are fat? I bet 95% of them could chase your ass down.

Religion isn't the largest form of mental slavery, materialism is.

So on and so forth.

You weakened whatever argument you may have had by resorting to 3rd grade tactics.

#13 Posted by MannyDelgado (1250 posts) -
ITT: butthurt burgerclaps
#14 Posted by DevilMightCry (3495 posts) -

So on and so forth.

You weakened whatever argument you may have had by resorting to 3rd grade tactics.

br0kenrabbit
Pretty much. He's just another drone venting on things he has no clue about.
#15 Posted by joel_c17 (2867 posts) -
It's just that the majority of people from America are really really dumb. There are dumb people everywhere but it seems they gather in America.
#16 Posted by EmpCom (3451 posts) -
It's just that the majority of people from America are really really dumb. There are dumb people everywhere but it seems they gather in America.joel_c17
Yeah it certainly seems like the usa is fast becoming the mecca of stupidity
#17 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

Ashamed to be American? You should be ashamed to be Human. All of us should.

#18 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -
i will travel to america one day soon as i hear you have loose womencheese_game619
Not that good kind, tho. The loose we're talking about is their saggy skin/boobs
#19 Posted by call_of_duty_10 (4954 posts) -
i will travel to america one day soon as i hear you have loose womencheese_game619
#20 Posted by cheese_game619 (13316 posts) -
Not that good kind, tho. The loose we're talking about is their saggy skin/boobsRich3232
my australian accent will make them loose/unconscious
#21 Posted by Barbariser (6731 posts) -

I think that Americans ought to feel more pride than shame, if one must link their personal self-worth to their nationality (I don't believe they should).

#22 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151691 posts) -
USA does NOT have the most gun related deaths annually. I stopped reading when I realized this was just an ignorant rant. Don't let the door hit you....
#23 Posted by one_plum (6360 posts) -

Grass is greener on the other side.

#24 Posted by Allicrombie (25327 posts) -
other countries have religion too, you know.
#25 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151691 posts) -

other countries have religion too, you know.Allicrombie
No no no it was created in America.....

#26 Posted by PresidentLogan (248 posts) -

I don't feel anyone should be ashamed of their nation/country. Their are always fellow countrymen or communities that whether locally to you or on the world stage make your country look anything from stupid, despotic, backward etc and even then that is always a matter of opinion. I am proud to be English for it is my home but I am fully aware of, as a nation, pas and present we have many very bad points and many very good points. This applies to any country.

A few reasons I love England Historically and present day(and some English People will consider some of my my good points the opposite)

NHS

British Empire

Contribution to Science and Medicine via Isaac Newton, Edward Jenner, Charlkes Darwin

Contribution to Literature and Culture: Shakespeare, Dickens,

Some great Actors of the 20th Century (I only recenty found out Charlie Chaplin was English!)

Contribution to the World Wars

Battle of Agincourt

Monarchy without actual influence (The Royal Family symbolise our history but don't actually have any power)

A few things that I like to keep quiet about

Slavery

British Empire (the subjegation and slavery over indigenous people and other stuff)

British National Party

Period Drama films of Dickens' and other novels

Please feek free to list more bad or good things I am sure you all have many depending on your point of view.

For the sake of our TC I'm going to list to good things, as a non-american about America

#27 Posted by PresidentLogan (248 posts) -

America: Good Things

Founded on true Democracy - Beating a super power at the time to achieve it (with a little help from France, Spain and the Dutch.. ahem..)

Hamburgers

Tipped the balance/turned the tide in both WW2 in favour of the allies to go on and win for a better world against Facism

Kept the Soviet Union from taking over the world

Martin Luther King Jr

Abraham Lincoln

Muhammed Ali

Built on equality for all (I know many arguments against this - Rich and Poor Gap/only recent ending of segregation even after slavery abolished and many other things etc but the aspiration or ideal is there - American Dream etc)

Entertainment - Modern Music / Cinema

I'm sure there is much more and feel free to add !

I'm not going to do a 'Things I don't really like about America' List because it's an over done and boring topic nowadays whilst I do have negative opinions on certain things and like I said earlier its all down to personal views

#28 Posted by genfactor (1462 posts) -
I'm not ashamed of being an American, I'm ashamed of other Americans that make the world think we're a nation of idiots.
#29 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

Sounds like your perspective on a few things is really warped. There's no reason to be ashamed of your nationality.

#30 Posted by PresidentLogan (248 posts) -

I'm not ashamed of being an American, I'm ashamed of other Americans that make the world think we're a nation of idiots.genfactor

Well in that case I agree but very country has that.

Just curious what side of the fence your are sitting on though. Personally I think Alex Jones and his types do you no favours (Piers Morgan does us none either!) but then again many Americans will say it is the liberals who embarass you.

Also I don't understand how the News Media can be so openly bias and sometimes out and out liars (On both sides - Fox vs CNN) to push a particular political agenda to the point where is is cringe worthy and so obvious to who they support by so called News Reporters who should just promote facts and have guests do the actual political view points for their parties . We have the poilitcally alligned tabloid Newspapers in the UK but our News Channels are strictly partisan.

Your political party commercials make me laugh during the election period as well as it seems thay can totally say whatever they like to the point of sounding like children. Again we don't have that in the UK but I don't know if it's we have stricter slander laws or the public wouldnt like it or something idk.

Sorry to go on but I do love the drug company adverts as well that you have where they try and promote prescription medications for say Heart Disease but at the end of the commercial, as fast as it can be said without be inaudible - "May cause Heart Attacks"

#31 Posted by thegerg (15644 posts) -
[QUOTE="Hakumen21"]I don't even know how to start. I'll try to keep it simple. USA has the most gun-related deaths annually. Aurora and Newtown Massacres happen. -Blames video games out of the blue- "Gun control won't solve anything." Then we have this; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QhcEsG-y98&lc=AauYe45pTx3foNNjrY1THn4Wkq-BDhJdgIVC10QYBQk Bill O'reilly, a dickhead that has obviously not had sex in decades, or a brain has his own show. This also goes for a lot of other dumb, tunnel-minded people. and ..FOX News, and lying media. Religion, which is the largest form of mental slavery dominated half the country. This isn't even an opinion. It's a definite fact. If you feel agitated by what I said^, answer this question then.. Do you genuinely love your God? Or are you just scared you're gonna be punished in an eternally firey hell if you don't? I'm not expecting any honest answer. For a country that constantly brags and boasts about our 'Rights', I sure don't notice much of a difference between here, the UK, Australia or Canada. Most of our cops are generally fat and are just there to enforce the law, rather than to protect the citizens from harm. I'm hesitant to even to even defend myself if I were to be assaulted, with or without a deadly weapon, b/c I may get arrested for it. KIlled a guy in self defense? You're going to jail anyways! If not, here are 250 papers and forms that need to be filled out. Also, go to court in 3 months. Which also makes me question this, A lot of ppl were shot in Aurora theatre, yet the shooter still needs to have a proper case? I guess, all those ppl who got shot and were traumatized by it were just actors.. smh. And it's hilarious how we have a Caution label on literally everything. 'Objects in the mirror may be closer than they appear.' 'Do not dive into this toilet. It may cause fatal injuries.' 'Do not play with Matches. It may cause a fire.' 'Do not kick this very dangerous and sharp object. It may cause bleeding or fatal injury. 'Don't put your baby face down in the goddamn fish tank.' It's rather sad that College students on facebook may potentially be much more reasonable, even better politicians that we have now. According to Congress, Pizza is now a vegetable. There are a lot of smart and reasonable ppl in the US. However, there are a lot more morons here. "If you dont like America, then get out!" I've been born and raised in the US all my life. ..but believe me. Once I am able, I probably would. I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on this. Am I?

"USA has the most gun-related deaths annually." No, it doesn't. "It's a definite fact." No, it's not. "Do you genuinely love your God? Or are you just scared you're gonna be punished in an eternally firey hell if you don't? " I'm not sure if I believe in a god, why do you ask? "A lot of ppl were shot in Aurora theatre, yet the shooter still needs to have a proper case?" Yes, part of a civilized criminal justice system is to force the state to prove its case against its citizens and do so publicly. "According to Congress, Pizza is now a vegetable." No, it's not. If you want to have a constructive conversation, you need to be accurate and truthful. You have demonstrated in this post that you are either very ignorant, or you are a liar. I suggest that, in the future, you avoid posting things that are untrue. After all, isn't that what you're accusing Bill O'Reilly of doing?
#32 Posted by whipassmt (14094 posts) -

Don't feel so bad. From what i've read knife violence in the UK is more common than is gun violence in the U.S.

Also as far as the Aurora theater shooter getting a trial and your fears of being prosecuted should you harm someone in self-defense, those things would both apply to Europe as well. Also as far as self-defense goes, there is the saying "better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6" (i.e. better to harm someone in self-defense if necessary and end up being prosecuted than to be killed).

#33 Posted by comp_atkins (31589 posts) -

the reasonable people tend to get drowned out by the noise made by the idiots.

EDIT: hmmm.. kinda like OT..

#34 Posted by whipassmt (14094 posts) -

So on and so forth.

br0kenrabbit

True. Besides Bill O'Reilly had wrote two books that were bestsellers on the NY Times best seller list and got first and second place on the list in the same week, making him the only person to ever do that and what does it really matter anyway if he "hasn't had sex in decades"?

As far as cops chasing people down goes, he should know what NYPD stands for: Nock yo punkass down!

#35 Posted by coasterguy65 (6073 posts) -

America's problem is not gun ownership. It's the thug culture, and the lack of enforcing the laws already on the books. A large portion of the gun violence in this country is committed by previous felons with illegally bought handguns. Yet when they go up before a judge they get off with very small prison terms, suspended sentences, and time served.

It's really sad when you can go to jail longer in this country for possessing Marijuana than shooting someone with an illegally acquired gun.

#36 Posted by PresidentLogan (248 posts) -

Don't feel so bad. From what i've read knife violence in the UK is more common than is gun violence in the U.S.

Also as far as the Aurora theater shooter getting a trial and your fears of being prosecuted should you harm someone in self-defense, those things would both apply to Europe as well. Also as far as self-defense goes, there is the saying "better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6" (i.e. better to harm someone in self-defense if necessary and end up being prosecuted than to be killed).

whipassmt

BS ! The figures being quoted by people making this comparison are not taking in to account that official statistics do not discriminate between a Knife and other sharo objects (like a screwdriver) of which there were 200 Deaths in 2011/2012

Gun related homicides in US in 2011 = 8000+

Taking in to account the large population there is still no comparison

From Official UK Government Statistics

During the year to June 2012 there were approximately 29,613 recorded offences involving knives or other sharp instruments, accounting for 7% of selected offences, a similar proportion to previous years. The number of knife offences recorded was 9% lower than in the preceding year.

With the exception of homicide the recorded crime statistics had not previously separately identify crimes involving knives. There were 200 homicides using a sharp instrument in 2011/12, accounting for 39% of all homicides.

According to the Crime Survey for England and Wales (CSES) in 2011/12 a knife was used in 6% of all BCS incidents of violence experienced by adults, similar to the previous years proportion.

Since January 2010 the CSEW recently has asked children aged 10 to 15 about their experiences of crime in England and Wales. A knife, screwdriver or stabbing instrument was used in 11% of violent incidents involving a weapon against children.

Over the year to the end of June 2012 there were 19,382 disposals given for possession of a knife or offensive weapon.

Juveniles (aged 10-17) were the offenders in 17% of cases. The custody rate was 10% for juveniles and 28% for adults

A Court of Appeal judgement in May 2008 said that magistrates should normally sentence those convicted of knife crime possession offences at the top end of the range. Following this custody rates and average custodial sentence lengths have risen.

NHS data suggests there were 4,490 people admitted to English hospitals in 2011/12 due to assault by a sharp object. 2

#37 Posted by DaBrainz (7682 posts) -
I am also ashamed that TC is an American.
#38 Posted by ZombieKiller7 (6255 posts) -

America is awesome.

I love God.

Politicians, laws and TV is f*cked up.

I believe in freedom and only the bare minimum govt to pave roads and deliver mail, fire dept and law enforcement (of which there are waaaaay too many laws in my opinion.)

But basically I love the people, I love capitalism. I love old America from the 1950 and 1960's and 1970's.

Liberalism suck my balls. lol @ California (but loooove your beaches and weather)

#39 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151691 posts) -
I am also ashamed that TC is an American.DaBrainz
lol
#40 Posted by Rockman999 (7232 posts) -

Then why don't you just leave?

I used to wonder why so many foreigners love to hate on the US while mooching off our aid but it's clear that it's mostly due to a delusion of entitlement.

They believe that it is the US's responsibility to uplift whatever butt hole they live in and that they are more deserving of our country than we are.

Don't sit in my country bad mouthing it while enjoying the same rights and opportunities as other citizens who love this country.

Just get the hell out and go move to someplace that makes you happy.

#41 Posted by mrbojangles25 (31998 posts) -

as I often say, and will continue to say, America is a country of sacrifice, yin and yang, black and white...etc..

We have the freedom to own weapons, but the cost is a high gun-crime rate. THe list goes on and on.

I don't think a lot of people can grasp this idea. We are more about individual freedoms over the common good, and unfortunately we and the rest of the world tend to highlight the crazy individuals, the skewed and isolated statistics, and so forth. But ultimately every individual striving for the good of themselves and those close to themis in fact for the common good.

But, if you were to ignore the sensationalist media, the idiot bloggers, and all that nonsense, and experience the truth, you'd find that we Americans are not all that crazy :P

#42 Posted by JohnF111 (14098 posts) -
All those caution labels are to stop greedy lazy Americans from suing the ass off anything that doesn't explicitly state not to be used in some way.
#43 Posted by cheese_game619 (13316 posts) -
its funny how you americans still brag about freedom like its a unique thing
#44 Posted by dave123321 (34196 posts) -
love it
#45 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

There are things I am disappointed of, certainly. But by no means am I ashamed, we are a good country with good people and we have the biggest influence and impact on the world, we are also the most diverse. We are living proof that all God's children can live together, and that you can come here with nothing but the clothes on your back and make something of your life.

Of course there are problems, and maybe some countries do certain things better than we do (such as health care) but overall this is the place to be. Also we don't have the most gun related deaths.

#46 Posted by ad1x2 (5724 posts) -

TC, if you hate the US so much you have the option to look at another country to move to, apply for a visa, leave after said visa is approved, and upon arrival at the new country make your way to the US Embassy to renounce your citizenship. All it takes is a few thousand dollars and a solid plan to support yourself when you arrive at your new location.

The First Amendment gives you the right to talk about how much you hate the US and I would never suggest that your right to criticize the US should be taken away. However, people like yourself fail to realize that if you hate being an American so much you have options to leave and not be an American anymore. Granted, your birth certificate will still be from the US but you won't be an American anymore.

I've noticed that a lot of the people who go on and on about how they hate being in the US are usually too comfortable to go anywhere else, so they just resort to criticizing the country on their keyboard.

#47 Posted by Lotus-Edge (50439 posts) -

So on and so forth.

br0kenrabbit
#48 Posted by Diablo-B (4051 posts) -
To the TC, have you considered ... moving?
#49 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

TC, if you hate the US so much you have the option to look at another country to move to, apply for a visa, leave after said visa is approved, and upon arrival at the new country make your way to the US Embassy to renounce your citizenship. All it takes is a few thousand dollars and a solid plan to support yourself when you arrive at your new location.

The First Amendment gives you the right to talk about how much you hate the US and I would never suggest that your right to criticize the US should be taken away. However, people like yourself fail to realize that if you hate being an American so much you have options to leave and not be an American anymore. Granted, your birth certificate will still be from the US but you won't be an American anymore.

I've noticed that a lot of the people who go on and on about how they hate being in the US are usually too comfortable to go anywhere else, so they just resort to criticizing the country on their keyboard.

ad1x2

Not to mention his reasons for doing said criticizing are stupid. He is ashamed because of Bill O' Riley's sex life? Which isn't even accurate becase he's married. He is ashamed of America because all the cops are fat? Where is he getting this from? He thinks religion is enslaving people? Lol what?

Only on OT do I ever see such nonsense. I think a lot of people here are kids and don't have any real life experience yet.

#50 Posted by Blueresident87 (5340 posts) -

Don't waste your time on this, there is just as much to be ashamed about with being any other nationality as well.