Bear vs Silverback Gorilla

#1 Edited by youngmurk911 (3854 posts) -

Who wins the fight?

#2 Posted by FLSTS (2425 posts) -

I would assume Gorilla, depends on the size of each and environment. Why such a question, do you have a video? That would be something I would waste my time watching lol

#4 Edited by Master_Live (14191 posts) -

The bear I guess.

#5 Posted by Korvus (3221 posts) -

Well, not all threads can be philosophical debates, I guess...when you're bored enough even minimalist threads will do.

My money is on the bear.

#6 Edited by Sword-Demon (6967 posts) -

What kind of bear?

#7 Posted by comp_atkins (31269 posts) -

What kind of bear?

seriously. more details. is it's a koala bear? panda bear? polar bear?

#8 Posted by magicalclick (22448 posts) -

Bears. Regardless their type, they are cute and they should win.

#9 Posted by Aljosa23 (24749 posts) -

Unless it's a Polar bear (and I'm not even sure he can take on a silverback) the Gorilla, hands down.

#10 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17148 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

Unless it's a Polar bear (and I'm not even sure he can take on a silverback) the Gorilla, hands down.

This.

People forget, gorilla's very much rival bears in size and likely strength, yet they have more intelligence and better appendage options than bears.

Gorilla's can use tools and weapons whereas bears can't.

#11 Edited by comp_atkins (31269 posts) -

this should cover it

#12 Posted by Lord_Daemon (24233 posts) -

I think that really the only chance a grizzly or polar bear would have if it managed a quick charge and got in a clinch situation where it could pin and maul the gorilla. Otherwise a silverback is incredibly strong but on top of that has much greater speed and dexterity to boot and one hard swing to the side of a bear's head would injure it severely enough for it to beat a hasty retreat. If the bear were as intelligent as a gorilla and stood upright and used its superior reach and nasty claws to great effect it would stand a terrific chance as its body could take numerous hit with little injury. But bears tend to lead with their faces so....gorilla for me.

#13 Edited by GazaAli (22525 posts) -

Any bear of a decent breed would obliterate that silverback Gorilla.

#14 Posted by lonewolf604 (8517 posts) -

Optimus Primal

#15 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

What kind of bear?

This is important. If its anything short of a Kodiak or Polar Bear my money would definitely be on the Silverback Gorilla.

#16 Posted by Brutal_Elitegs (16179 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

This.

People forget, gorilla's very much rival bears in size and likely strength, yet they have more intelligence and better appendage options than bears.

Do they? Wikipedia says a mature Kodiak Bear can weigh up to 1500lbs, whereas a silverback averages around 500 lbs.

A gorilla probably has a bear beat in raw strength, but a Kodiak bear just looks like it's made to take a beating. The thing's a tank. I don't think there's anything as intimidating as a big bear with broad shoulders giving you the death stare. Then again..

#17 Posted by shellcase86 (1934 posts) -

I'd wager that the Silverback don't want no part of the Kodiak or Polar, but otherwise it'd have a good fighting chance.

#18 Edited by Aljosa23 (24749 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@Aljosa23 said:

This.

Do they? Wikipedia says a mature Kodiak Bear can weigh up to 1500lbs, whereas a silverback averages around 500 lbs.

A gorilla probably has a bear beat in raw strength, but a Kodiak bear just looks like it's made to take a beating. The thing's a tank. I don't think there's anything as intimidating as a big bear with broad shoulders giving you the death stare. Then again..

Bears, like big cats, have a notoriously weak skull. If the gorilla was able to get a good hit on the polar bear's head before the bear got his claws into the gorilla's torso, it would be lights out for the bear. Gorillas are well built WRT to their bone structure so I think it would be hard for the bear to wear down the gorilla before he himself gets battered.

#19 Edited by InEMplease (6333 posts) -

I see the silverback winning on sheer ingenuity mixed with extraordinary strength.

#20 Edited by Brutal_Elitegs (16179 posts) -
@Aljosa23 said:

Bears, like big cats, have a notoriously weak skull. If the gorilla was able to get a good hit on the polar bear's head before the bear got his claws into the gorilla's torso, it would be lights out for the bear. Gorillas are well built WRT to their bone structure so I think it would be hard for the bear to wear down the gorilla before he himself gets battered.

That's a good point. Lord_Daemon did point out a bear leads with its head, but that seems to be when it sizes up another animal, like another bear, without the immediate intent of attacking it. If a bear charges at an animal, it generally leads with its arms to pin the animal down, and if it gets those teeth and claws into the gorilla it would probably be game over. How effective is a gorilla's strike, btw? It strikes me as an animal that would hammer its blows in a downward arching motion, rather than concentrating its force into a single point. And do all bears have weak skulls? According to wikipedia, brown bears have "heavily built concave skulls". Polar bears have structurally weaker skulls because of their diet of soft food, but this doesn't seem to be the case for brown bears (I could be wrong). In any case, I don't think the bear corner will be sending their polar cousin into the ring to decide this fight.

I do find these discussions rather pointless (pretty interesting nevertheless) since they're usually based on a bunch of 'ifs'.

#21 Posted by BranKetra (48164 posts) -
#22 Edited by killzowned24 (7298 posts) -

Wouldn't even be a competition ,the bear would maul it. Gorillas sit on their ass all day eating grass FFS.

#23 Posted by Blutfahne (269 posts) -

Yukon Brown Bear(1,500 lbs) would mother fucking obliterate a Silverback Gorilla(600 lbs).

#24 Posted by Barbariser (6724 posts) -

Brown & Polar Bears have a significant mass, speed & strength advantage in addition to having huge claws and moderately bulletproof skulls.

#25 Edited by playmynutz (5981 posts) -
#26 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9513 posts) -

I want to say gorilla but, I know a bear has more power and are generally bigger/weighs atleast 2x as much as a gorilla.

A bear also has 5-6 inch claws, the slashing alone just tells me a gorilla wouldnt hang for long.

#27 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1748 posts) -

If the gorilla had a gun, he'd still lose.

#28 Posted by robokill (1064 posts) -

In an open area the one with sharp claws and teeth wins, in a forested area the one that can climb trees quickly wins.

#29 Posted by MrGeezer (56128 posts) -

I see the silverback winning on sheer ingenuity mixed with extraordinary strength.

Ingenuity? Dude, I know that gorillas are fairly intelligent animals, but they're still goddamn gorillas. They're not gonna be formulating special tactics or making snare traps like in Predator. It's still gonna play out like, "gorilla hits bear, bear hits gorilla." And when it comes to those kinds of fights, bigger usually wins.

My money is on the bear. I'm not saying that the gorilla doesn't stand a chance, just that the bear is probably gonna win.

#30 Edited by InEMplease (6333 posts) -

@MrGeezer: Maybe gorilla chuck big ass rock at bear?

#31 Edited by hippiesanta (9809 posts) -

this should cover it

things get worse after the 23 sec ends