Batman-Superman Movie Gets YET Another Superhero

• 59 results
#1 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14453 posts) -

Looks like the follow-up to Man of Steel is about to add yet another superhero to the mix.

Variety announced that theater actor Ray Stone has been cast in the role of Cyborg for the Batman-Superman movie. (side note: Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ, give the goddamn movie a proper name already!)

They should just say "Screw it", scrap the whole production and make a proper Justice League movie at this point. Because at the rate they're going, it seems unlikely this Batman-Superman project will actually focus on, you know....Batman and/or Superman.

What say you, OT?

#2 Posted by indzman (18144 posts) -

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait XD ! Hope they introduce more super villains too in the movie :)

#3 Edited by indzman (18144 posts) -

Off topic : How much are your hopes for The Amazing Spiderman 2 hallenbeck ? Something tells me its gonna be even larger than Spiderman 1 , 2 , or 3, quite hyped lol

#4 Posted by hippiesanta (9892 posts) -

hollywood try To please Al Sharpton again??

#5 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14453 posts) -

@indzman said:

Off topic : How much are your hopes for The Amazing Spiderman 2 hallenbeck ? Something tells me its gonna be even larger than Spiderman 1 , 2 , or 3, quite hyped lol

I've lost all interest in the Spider-Man movies after the third one, and I couldn't make it though Amazing, so I can't fairly comment on that. Sony seems to think they can build a solid movie universe using nothing but Spider-Man characters, but I got my doubts. I still can't see how they can make a film featuring the Sinister Six, and NOT have them fight Spidey.

#6 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14453 posts) -

@hippiesanta said:

What do you mean by that?

#7 Posted by indzman (18144 posts) -

@hallenbeck77 said:

@indzman said:

I've lost all interest in the Spider-Man movies after the third one, and I couldn't make it though Amazing, so I can't fairly comment on that. Sony seems to think they can build a solid movie universe using nothing but Spider-Man characters, but I got my doubts. I still can't see how they can make a film featuring the Sinister Six, and NOT have them fight Spidey.

Oh :(

#8 Edited by BranKetra (48765 posts) -

Superman, Batman, and now Cyborg.

They just need Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, and the Martian Manhunter and it is a full team (I do not expect Hawkman or Hawkgirl, obviously). Of course, there needs to be some good supervillains or a single great one.

#9 Edited by hippiesanta (9892 posts) -

@hallenbeck77 said:

@hippiesanta said:

the quota to make a movie

#10 Edited by PsychoLemons (2117 posts) -

Don't like where this is going.=/

#11 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14453 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

They just need Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, and the Martian Manhunter and it is a full team (I do not expect Hawkman or Hawkgirl, obviously). Of course, there needs to be some good supervillains or a single great one.

It just seems like they're cramming way too much into a movie that I initially thought would focus on Superman or Batman. I can understand one or even two more characters, but this may be overkill, being that it seems like they don't have any idea what they want to do. They still don't even have a title to the movie at this point.

#12 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (14453 posts) -

@hippiesanta said:

@hallenbeck77 said:

@hippiesanta said:

the quota to make a movie

I don't think they're putting him in just for the sake of having a black actor or character in the movie. I do think, however they're putting too many characters in without having a clear idea of what exactly they want to do with this movie. It's almost as if they're making it up as it goes along.

#13 Edited by BranKetra (48765 posts) -

@hallenbeck77 said:

@BranKetra said:

It just seems like they're cramming way too much into a movie that I initially thought would focus on Superman or Batman. I can understand one or even two more characters, but this may be overkill, being that it seems like they don't have any idea what they want to do. They still don't even have a title to the movie at this point.

If they make it well the competition will be good for the film industry. That is how I am viewing this. Plus, Superman needs some help with live-action films. His recent ones have not been as good as the ones starring Christopher Reeve and those were decades ago. Two popular superheroes who are a part of his ultimate team might be what Superman needs to make a comeback.

I wonder what they will do for Cyborg's body. He has many moving cybernetic parts, so I imagine there will be some special effects for his arm to transform into a cannon among other things on his person.

#14 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14453 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

If they make it well the competition will be good for the film industry. That is how I am viewing this. Plus, Superman needs some help with live-action films. His recent ones have not been as good as the ones starring Christopher Reeve and those were decades ago. Two popular superheroes who are a part of his ultimate team might be what Superman needs to make a comeback.

I wonder what they will do for Cyborg's body. He has many moving cybernetic parts, so I imagine there will be some special effects for his arm to transform into a cannon among other things on his person.

That's a big If. Man of Steel and the recent Batman trilogy aside, Warner Bros seems to be struggling making for quite a long time with other DC Comics characters. Batman and Superman seem to be the ONLY two successful comic film franchises they had, so they seem to be shoving all of these other characters in this one in the hopes of getting to a Justice League movie as quickly as possible, instead of letting these characters get their own films. The whole thing feels like the decisions are being made by Warner Bros. execs who only care that these movies are financially viable right now, film quality be damned.

#15 Edited by BranKetra (48765 posts) -

@hallenbeck77 said:

@BranKetra said:

That's a big If. Man of Steel and the recent Batman trilogy aside, Warner Bros seems to be struggling making for quite a long time with other DC Comics characters. Batman and Superman seem to be the ONLY two successful comic film franchises they had, so they seem to be shoving all of these other characters in this one in the hopes of getting to a Justice League movie as quickly as possible, instead of letting these characters get their own films. The whole thing feels like the decisions are being made by Warner Bros. execs who only care that these movies are financially viable right now, film quality be damned.

We have not even seen a trailer and because of that, I think that seeing one might change your opinion. When I first saw concept art for Michael Bay's version of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I was skeptical that a movie with that would be any good. I was far from the only one with that opinion, either. There were much more negative reactions. Now that the trailer is out, it has over four million views in the past four weeks total. That number is a combined total of multiple videos' views. It is definitely popular. I like it. Warner Bros. might be able to make something special. Of course, they do need to get the script together, so your opinion regarding it is not solidified because I would like to see a good DC film again.

#16 Posted by Master_Live (14845 posts) -

My bet is that this thing will crash and burn. The title, World's Finest.

#17 Edited by Hallenbeck77 (14453 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@hallenbeck77 said:

@BranKetra said:

We have not even seen a trailer and because of that, I think that seeing one might change your opinion. When I first saw concept art for Michael Bay's version of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, I was skeptical that a movie with that would be any good. I was far from the only one with that opinion, either. There were much more negative reactions. Now that the trailer is out, it has over four million views in the past four weeks total. That number is a combined total of multiple videos' views. It is definitely popular. I like it. Warner Bros. might be able to make something special. Of course, they do need to get the script together, so your opinion regarding it is not solidified because I would like to see a good DC film again.

It wouldn't matter what the trailer would look like, honestly. My opinion is based on from what I seen from the first movie, and the talent behind it. I thought the trailer for the first Man of Steel movie looked amazing, and I'm not exactly a huge Superman fan. However, I was very disappointed with the final film. To me it came off as very bleak morose and joyless movie, and the exact same writing/directing team behind the first movie will be back for the second, as well as for the Justice League film. Visually and technically, the movie was strong, but visuals alone isn't enough for me.

Maybe, Warner Bros may do something special after all. But given my experience from Man of Steel, and seeing some of DC's other movies that doesn't have Batman in it, my hopes aren't exactly too high.

EDIT: As far as TMNT goes, I was about 13 or 14 when they first came out, so I never got into them at all. People losing their collective shit about the upcoming movie is somewhat amusing, though.

#18 Edited by airshocker (29904 posts) -

I say they should cancel the movie. Ben Afleck as Batman is heresy. And what do we do to heretics, OT?

#19 Edited by Korvus (3950 posts) -

@airshocker: I like that image. Will keep in handy.

Anyway, on topic...I really don't get the point. I think any other superhero that's placed in a Superman movie is automatically inferior and useless...and I don't even like Superman...What's the point of having Batman in the same movie? Any villain that can match Superman's power is way over Batman's head, and if it's on Batman's level then Superman can take the day off. Granted, I always stayed away from crossover comics (Justice League just sounds silly like a silly premise to me), but how will it even work? Will it be some ridiculous plot like Injustice?

#20 Posted by uninspiredcup (8987 posts) -

It seems obviose Warner Brothers are rather cynically trying to cash in on the universe Marvel created.

e.g. We can have lots of spinoff's and shove as many superheros as possible within the same movie....

Doesn't really bother me if they are good but, Superman Man Of Returns wasn't good.

#21 Posted by Korvus (3950 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Did you mean DC?

#22 Edited by uninspiredcup (8987 posts) -

@korvus said:

@uninspiredcup: Did you mean DC?

No,

#23 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151458 posts) -

Still want to see it....will withhold judgment until such time.

#24 Posted by Jebus213 (8893 posts) -
@hippiesanta said:

Do you know anything about the DC universe?

You'd sound even more stupid if they put Static Shock in the movie.

#25 Posted by Master_Live (14845 posts) -

@Jebus213 said:
@hippiesanta said:

How does he sound stupid?

#26 Edited by Hatiko (4535 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

Wonder Woman is in the movie

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/wonder-woman-cast-gal-gadot-to-star-in-batman-superman-film/#/0

#27 Edited by tocool340 (20547 posts) -

Doesn't matter who they add. Ben Affleck as Batman? That's a deal breaker there...

I really wish morons didn't go into theaters and start shooting people up that were watching Chris Nolan Batman movies. I believe that's the reason why Christian Bale has decided to never wear the Batman suit again...

#28 Edited by The-Apostle (12190 posts) -
@BranKetra said:

Why would they be in it? They're Marvel. >_>

#29 Posted by GazaAli (22998 posts) -

They should include vaginaman while they're at it.

#30 Edited by Korvus (3950 posts) -

@The-Apostle: Hawkman and Hawkgirl are not Marvel =)

#31 Edited by GazaAli (22998 posts) -

Maybe vaginaman will eventually catch on and become the new superhero craze

#32 Posted by Master_Live (14845 posts) -

@The-Apostle said:
@BranKetra said:

Need to do some reading >_>

#33 Posted by Master_Live (14845 posts) -

@tocool340 said:
I believe that's the reason why Christian Bale has decided to never wear the Batman suit again...

Is that you speculating or you have some source to cite?

#34 Edited by BranKetra (48765 posts) -

@hallenbeck77 said:

@BranKetra said:

@hallenbeck77 said:

@BranKetra said:

It wouldn't matter what the trailer would look like, honestly. My opinion is based on from what I seen from the first movie, and the talent behind it. I thought the trailer for the first Man of Steel movie looked amazing, and I'm not exactly a huge Superman fan. However, I was very disappointed with the final film. To me it came off as very bleak morose and joyless movie, and the exact same writing/directing team behind the first movie will be back for the second, as well as for the Justice League film. Visually and technically, the movie was strong, but visuals alone isn't enough for me.

Maybe, Warner Bros may do something special after all. But given my experience from Man of Steel, and seeing some of DC's other movies that doesn't have Batman in it, my hopes aren't exactly too high.

EDIT: As far as TMNT goes, I was about 13 or 14 when they first came out, so I never got into them at all. People losing their collective shit about the upcoming movie is somewhat amusing, though.

I meant "I hope your opinion is not solidified.." in the future; not "your opinion is not solidified." That was a typo. Sorry if that caused a misunderstanding.

While I do hope for the best, I understand that might not be possible considering the circumstances. We know the film in question is the sequel to Man of Steel for certain and we know it has Superman, Batman, and Cyborg. Man of Steel's plot being the foundation to grow the following film from is probably the best film DC to compete against the highly successful Marvel Phases films without copying them.

Man of Steel probably would have been better without the Superman who had a different sense of morality. Superman is usually a paragon of morality, strength, and intelligence. The Man of Steel version is a good person at heart, but seems more like a good-natured, powerful being than the pillar of the DC universe he and other Justice League characters are usually portrayed as. DC seems to be going for a more edgy kind of superhero personality with Superman. My opinion is that such a change alters who Superman is fundamentally. On the other side of superheroes there is Marvel's Captain America films which are relevant to this discussion. In both The First Avenger and The Winter Soldier, Captain America keeps his morals and beliefs through all his trials and that is what makes him iconic as much as his super soldier abilities. If Superman did the same in Man of Steel, it would have been better. However, his character was written to be an unhappy teen who does not have a good relationship with his adoptive dad which affects his young adult life at the very least.

I expect a forceful Batman and I hope for a non-cocky Superman. Cyborg is probably going to be the most logical of the three.

#35 Edited by BranKetra (48765 posts) -

@Hatiko: You are correct. Thank you for reminding me. Three to go.

@The-Apostle said:
@BranKetra said:

As has been already stated, they are actually DC characters. Do some research on them when you have the time.

#36 Posted by solidruss (23751 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

Still want to see it....will withhold judgment until such time.

Pretty much the same here, although at this point I'm waiting for them to just rename the thing Justice League :P

#37 Edited by uninspiredcup (8987 posts) -

@Hatiko said:

@BranKetra said:

Wonder Woman is in the movie

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/wonder-woman-cast-gal-gadot-to-star-in-batman-superman-film/#/0

Hopefully she flies around in her invisible plane.

#38 Posted by tocool340 (20547 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@tocool340 said:
I believe that's the reason why Christian Bale has decided to never wear the Batman suit again...

I guess it was just my imagination, or perhaps when Bale visited some of the victims of that shooting, a few articles were only mentioning that Rise was gonna be his last Batman movie and not the shootings themselves being the reason he called it quits...

#39 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151458 posts) -

@tocool340 said:

@Master_Live said:

@tocool340 said:

I guess it was just my imagination, or perhaps when Bale visited some of the victims of that shooting, a few articles were only mentioning that Rise was gonna be his last Batman movie and not the shootings themselves being the reason he called it quits...

He wasn't signed for more than three to start with...and he didn't want to do more than three. Nolan wasn't. That was the major reason.

#40 Edited by Master_Live (14845 posts) -

Bale is an actors' actor. He ain't in it solely for the money and since clearly the franchise was losing steam, at least creatively (look how sloppy TDKR was), he ain't got no reason to keep at it without its major force behind it (Nolan). People do get tire.

#41 Posted by Big_Pecks (5359 posts) -

At least it's not more villains.

#42 Posted by ferrari2001 (17001 posts) -

This movie is gonna blow hard. Either they will spend so much time introducing characters that it's a snore fest, or they won't spend enough time introducing characters and the audience will not care for any of them making any success fleeting at best. DC is trying way to hard to catch Marvel.

#43 Posted by uninspiredcup (8987 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

Bale is an actors' actor. He ain't in it solely for the money and since clearly the franchise was losing steam, at least creatively (look how sloppy TDKR was), he ain't got no reason to keep at it without its major force behind it (Nolan). People do get tire.

Eh, the base story of TDKR is basically rocky III. Which has a very simple but awesome premise. But unlike Rocky III it's convoluted as fuck with bad pacing.

#44 Edited by Master_Live (14845 posts) -

1) Rocky 3 is Rocky 3, Nolan was aiming higher, trying to transcend, say something. 2) The base story for TDKR isn't the problem, it is the execution. More so, TDKR tried to be TDK but bigger and some ways it just felt like a re-harsh. I bet after Ledger's death that sapped Nolan's spirit, whatever grandiose and meaningful arc completion he had planned went down the drain and he had to re-group. I'm sure he kept must if not all the ideas he had planned for part 3 and he made a valiant effort; it just fell short of the first two.

#45 Posted by Qixote (10734 posts) -

Another meatball sundae in the making.

#46 Posted by hippiesanta (9892 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

@Jebus213 said:
@hippiesanta said:

How does he sound stupid?

#47 Posted by uninspiredcup (8987 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

1) Rocky 3 is Rocky 3, Nolan was aiming higher, trying to transcend, say something. 2) The base story for TDKR isn't the problem, it is the execution. More so, TDKR tried to be TDK but bigger and some ways it just felt like a re-harsh. I bet after Ledger's death that sapped Nolan's spirit, whatever grandiose and meaningful arc completion he had planned went down the drain and he had to re-group. I'm sure he kept must if not all the ideas he had planned for part 3 and he made a valiant effort; it just fell short of the first two.

It's bloated. I would say the same for TDK as well actually. To my mind, Batman Begins was the best paced movie. And overall, Insomnia his best movie partly due to the fact it has it's toned down and trimmed.

Regarding Rocky 3, it's quite meaningful. In real life the movie itself was inspired by Stallons change and rise to fame. Before Rocky (like Rocky) he was a nobody. The hero having to refined his way with the help of his freindenemy to overcome the villain who is totally grass roots and physically and mentally superior is simple but well executed. Because so much shit is going on for the brain to compute, it doesn't really resonate in TDK. A great example of less is better. Nolan fanboys can scream about how great Nolan is but when it comes to TDK, Stallon understood and executed his shit better in Rocky 3.

#48 Edited by The_Last_Ride (72408 posts) -

Why are they ruining this movie?

#49 Posted by foxhound_fox (88743 posts) -

What next, Starfire for fan service?

#50 Posted by Qixote (10734 posts) -

When screenplay writers have no good, original idea for a 2 hour movie, they just throw in more characters to distract us and cover up.