Bands or Artists Without Substitutes

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

Like the title says, list bands and artists that you feel are irreplaceable. Mine are:

Rage Against The Machine - Probably the guys who birthed Nu Metal and gave new life to Alternative Metal. I have not yet heard a band that mixes hip hop, funk, metal, and political views like these guys. Zack De La Rocha's piercing vocals, Tom's unusual guitar playing really make them stand out when trying to compare them to every other band in their genre. No one sounds like them.

Red Hot Chili Peppers - The only remaining members since it's birth are Flea and Anthony I believe, but they're really the soul of this band. The mixture of funk and rock is just candy to my ears. I've heard other bands who fuse the two genres together, but really I can't say I've ever confused a band with them and consider them to be irreplaceable.

Carlos Santana - I really don't know what it is about this guy that makes me feel he has no substitute. I have heard other guys imitate his guitar tune and play style, but it could be his way of adding latin guitar to a mixture of genres, or maybe he truly doesn't have a substitute. He's been featured in alternative metal, hip hop, R&B, pop, world, and a few other genres and you just always know it's him when you hear him and if you find that it's one of his imitators, it just leaves you feeling disappointed (if you're a fan).

Snoop Dogg & Dr. Dre - I don't know about Snoops reggae stuff or both of their later hip hop music, but when they were a duo back in the day, they have music that still gets played constantly to this day.

Tupac & Biggie - Pretty much the same as above.

P.O.D. - These guys are almost like Rage Against The Machine while at the same time being nothing like Rage Against The Machine. They also mix hip hop, funk, and metal just like RATM, but also include latin rock and reggae in their later albums. Sonny's vocals don't compare to Zack De La Rocha but I haven't heard anyone else sing like him either. Marco doesn't play anything like Tom Morello but he mixes up his style a lot which is cool. They're a religion heavy band but a lot of their tracks also appeal to non believers. They're most notable song which had a lot of success in sports and commercials was "Boom" which actually started to annoy the hell out of me lol. I didn't think it was a bad song but to hear it every time I tuned into ESPN started to get a little too repetitive.

Matisyahu - This one has no substitute for a reason. He heavily puts his Jewish beliefs into his music and has a unique voice. I also like that he has unique singing where he's not saying any words but is just singing along to the music. He just sounds so passionate when he does it that it makes people sing along with him. I love that he fuses reggae, hip hop, and rock into his music and has his own rapping style. He is probably the most unique artist I have on my playlist.

Don't hate that most of those artists were once mainstreem lol. Anyway, those are just a few artists I don't find to be replaceable. What are yours?

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

Journey - specifically Steve Perry, who in my mind was what made that band. The Phillipino karaoke singer they have now can't even hold a candle to him. The band itself had an awesome sound too, one where you know exactly who it is the second they come on the radio, even if you've never heard that particular song before. That's what defines a great band.

Van Halen - Two of the most talented brothers in Rock. EVH had his own sound and brought two-hand tapping on the guitar to mainstream. There are great guitarists out there, no doubt, but none that will ever compare to his level and what he brought to rock n' roll.

Stevie Ray Vaughn - one of Blues' best. Shame he had to leave us so soon. Will always remain one of the best guitarists ever. Aspiring blues artists would agree that he was their inspiration to play.

Jeff Healey - Another amazing blues artist. The man was blind and played the guitar unorthodox on his lap. Not only was he the first to do that, but his songs have such emotion and he was an awesome guitarist too.

Led Zeppelin - Very few bands have the versatility of LZ. They've pretty touched upon every genre of music in their time. In my opinion, they were more of an influence to American Rock and Roll than the Beatles were.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

Van Morrison. I don't know what soul is exactly, but he has it.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

Led Zeppelin- Will always be the gods of rock and roll as far as I'm concerned. As soon as Bonham died they dismembered and that would have been the same if Page, Plant, or Jones would have gone too.

Sublime- Never even attempted to listen to Sublime w/Rome. Why, might you ask. Because Bradley Nowell was the the songwriter/ lead guitarist/ lead vocals and just the overall image of the band IMO. Nothing will ever compare.

Alice in Chains- Layne Staley is one of my favorite vocalists of all time.Cantrell, Innez and Kinney have plenty of talent no doubt. The pain and anger behind his vocals were unmatched in the grunge era. Yeah Kurt did his thing but Layne could harmonize and had vocal melodies that far exceeded him IMO. Yeah they did replace Layne after his death but I went to one of their concerts and it just wasn't anywhere near the same.

A Perfect Circle- Maynard is A Perferct Circle and A Perfect Circle is Maynard. This 9 year hiatus has put the band a little in the dark but hopefully they will come back around.

Nirvana- If you know anything about Kurt Cobain then no explanation is needed. Great bassist and drummer but Kurt fueled that grunge wagon.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

Definitely Björk, there's only one.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 -ParaNormaN-

All really great bands being mentioned.

@bowchicka07 said:
Sublime- Never even attempted to listen to Sublime w/Rome. Why, might you ask. Because Bradley Nowell was the the songwriter/ lead guitarist/ lead vocals and just the overall image of the band IMO. Nothing will ever compare.

Agreed! Have you listened to Long Beach Dub All Stars? They're pretty good.

bowchicka07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 bowchicka07
Member since 2013 • 1104 Posts

@-paranorman- said:

All really great bands being mentioned.

@bowchicka07 said:

Agreed! Have you listened to Long Beach Dub All Stars? They're pretty good.

I haven't but I'll give it a whirl.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24939 Posts

There are a lot I find to be unique, and some of them are Pink Floyd, Rush, Queen, The Smashing Pumpkins, White Zombie, Fear Factory, Symphony X, Nailbomb, Gojira, Chimaira, Septic Flesh, Daath(their first 2 albums), Enslaved, Cynic, Mastodon, Coal Chamber, etc.

edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

My top bands are irreplaceable.

Tool

A Perfect Circle

Alice in Chains

Avatar image for Braun_Roid_Rage
Braun_Roid_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Braun_Roid_Rage
Member since 2013 • 790 Posts

Led Zeppelin is GOAT, but most people don't know Terry Reid was supposed to be their lead singer - http://www.thedailyswarm.com/swarm/terry-reid-signs-led-zeppelin-singer/

Terry had some great songs...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C959v_3SSKo - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgshmDZGZaA

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Selena.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#12 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Belphegor. Austrian black/death metal band. They bring a twist to the two genres, and an intensity that I have not found an equal for.

0Hamburgher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 0Hamburgher
Member since 2010 • 957 Posts

Muse and Protest the Hero.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#15 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6083 Posts

1.AC/DC

2.Led Zeppelin

3.Iron Maiden

Avatar image for deactivated-5c73e1dc0ab05
deactivated-5c73e1dc0ab05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By deactivated-5c73e1dc0ab05
Member since 2013 • 48 Posts

Agalloch, Alcest, Alice in Chains, Balmorhea, Faith No More, GraIls, Helmet, Isis, Pelican, Red Sparowes, Soundgarden, TOOL.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24939 Posts
@WittleWittleton said:

Agalloch, Alcest, Alice in Chains, Balmorhea, Faith No More, GraIls, Helmet, Isis, Pelican, Red Sparowes, Soundgarden, TOOL.

Good taste in music, man.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -ParaNormaN-

I want to add Earth, Wind & Fire and Faith No More to my list.