Band Of Brothers vs. The Pacific

Posted by Kevlar101 (6101 posts) 1 month, 26 days ago

Poll: Band Of Brothers vs. The Pacific (22 votes)

Band Of Brothers 73%
The Pacific 9%
Tie 18%

So, these two legendary mini-series are some of the finest war-dramas ever made. But, which is better? In my opinion, it's a tie.

Band Of Brothers has better pacing, and The Pacific has better character individuality. They each tell very different stories in very different settings, but the biggest difference between the two is in how it treats its characters.

Band Of Brothers tells the story of Easy Company, 506th Parachute Regiment of the 101st Airborne. It has main characters, but as a whole, its main character is Easy Company as an entity. It's a story about camaraderie.

The Pacific tells the story of three separate individual soldiers: Robert Leckie, John Basilone, and Eugene Sledge. There are other characters in supporting roles as well, but even so, this cast is more narrow in size than BoB. The Pacific focuses on individual characters, rather than a large unit. It treats characters as people, rather than as part of a larger entity. Doing the opposite was BoB's strength, but The Pacific benefits from its individual focus.

However, because of its long timeline, The Pacific suffers from mediocre pacing. It feels very crammed at times. In contrast, Band Of Brothers is paced perfectly across its timeline.

In the end, Band Of Brothers is subjectively superior, but objectively, the two are equals.

So, what are your opinions OT?

#1 Edited by thegerg (15044 posts) -

I like Band of Brothers more, I've never watched The Pacific.

#2 Posted by Aljosa23 (24843 posts) -

I like 'em both the same so this comparison isn't all that interesting to me - they are too similar to pick a clear cut favourite. But if I were to choose I prefer The Pacific, simply because Stephen E. Ambrose wasn't involved much in it. Have you seen Generation Kill? Comparing that to these series is much more interesting to me. All excellent.

#3 Edited by Kevlar101 (6101 posts) -

@thegerg said:

Then how do you know you like it more ?

#4 Edited by thegerg (15044 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

@thegerg said:

Because I like Band of Brothers, and I don't like The Pacific. How do YOU know that you like one thing more than another?

#5 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26165 posts) -

'The Pacific', mainly because I think the Pacific War - visually and psychologically - has always been more interesting on film.

#6 Edited by Kevlar101 (6101 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

I like 'em both the same so this comparison isn't all that interesting to me - they are too similar to pick a clear cut favourite. But if I were to choose I prefer The Pacific, simply because Stephen E. Ambrose wasn't involved much in it. Have you seen Generation Kill? Comparing that to these series is much more interesting to me. All excellent.

You seem to be mistaken.

There is an option for "tie".

#7 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150713 posts) -

Band of Brothers no contest. The Pacific got too bogged down in personal stories. I prefer seeing the war...not a soap.

#8 Posted by mxpower (198 posts) -

I have both and maybe watched one or two episodes of Pacific. I need to give it another try I think. Seemed a little boring at first and had a lot to live up to with how great band of brothers was.

#9 Posted by Kevlar101 (6101 posts) -

@mxpower said:

I have both and maybe watched one or two episodes of Pacific. I need to give it another try I think. Seemed a little boring at first and had a lot to live up to with how great band of brothers was.

The Pacific doesn't really get going until Part 5 or 6. It has those pesky pacing issues. But everything AFTER part 4 is damn good.

#10 Posted by The_Last_Ride (71221 posts) -

Band of Brothers, but Pacific is just as good. It showed more of the downside of war and what it was like for them after the war aswell

#11 Edited by KHAndAnime (13621 posts) -

The Pacific has some amazing scenes. The Peleliu episodes, for example, are absolutely visceral and heart wrenching - more so than anything in Band of Brothers. The episode before last where the line between civilians and infantry gets blurrier is extremely good as well. I will admit though, Band of Brothers, as a whole, was more enjoyable for me. I enjoyed there being more characters and knowing less about their personal lives, but learning about their lives on the Battlefield. All the stuff with Sgt. Sobel was really cool, I really enjoyed that touch to the show. Every episode was super strong, but the episodes that took place in the frozen woods were marvelous.

Both shows are mind-blowingly awesome and any one who hasn't seen either is definitely missing out. They make Saving Private Ryan seem like complete and utter Hollywood schlock by comparison.

#12 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3638 posts) -

Did'nt place a vote but I'd guess Band of Brothers is better since The Pacific seems like more of personal hero story, designed to instill pride.

#13 Posted by Ackad (3182 posts) -

@thegerg said:

#14 Posted by lonewolf604 (8518 posts) -

I like the Pacific way more. It took me a few watches of Band of Brothers to get to know everyone. At least with Pacific you can focus on 3 guys. The gun sounds, the backdrops, the atmosphere are just way more intense in the Pacific. But Band of Brothers episodes 6 and 7 tops anything Pacific has done.

#15 Edited by solidruss (23728 posts) -

While both were good, hands down I like Band of Brothers better. Just seemed like a better story to me.

#16 Posted by Kevlar101 (6101 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@Kevlar101 said:

@thegerg said:

Because I like Band of Brothers, and I don't like The Pacific. How do YOU know that you like one thing more than another?

Because I have seen both ... that is how I know. You said that you have never seen The Pacific, and yet, you somehow know that it is not as good as Band Of Brothers?

#17 Posted by Zelda99 (737 posts) -

The Pacific. It's one of the very few times i've cried because of a show, it moved me to tears which is why i consider it more powerful and the visible change in the men throughout the war made it a better series. I wont lie though, the Battle of the Bulge in Band of Brothers was powerful and visceral, but the grind out Battles of Okinawa, Guadalcanal and Peleliu showed me just how horrible war could be.

#18 Edited by thegerg (15044 posts) -

@Kevlar101: Do you like shows you've never seen?

#19 Posted by airshocker (29386 posts) -

Band of Brothers.

#20 Posted by M8ingSeezun (1998 posts) -

Band of Brothers no contest. The Pacific got too bogged down in personal stories. I prefer seeing the war...not a soap.

You've read my mind, dude.

#21 Posted by lamprey263 (23517 posts) -

I've watched both and I'll call it a tie. They both cover different material during WW2, but each is done really well. Generation Kill was also really good too.

#22 Posted by adders99 (2604 posts) -

@LJS9502_basic said:

You've read my mind, dude.

Also my exact feelings on them both!