Avatar: The Last Airbender vs. The Legend of Korra

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1 J-man45
Member since 2008 • 11043 Posts

Which is better? Or which do you prefer? Ever heard of either show?

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
It's tough to say. While Avatar the Last Airbender started off strong, it really improved in the second and third seasons. Korra, on the other hand, only has one season. Korra is off to a really good start, but I think it needs more time before I can feel comfortable saying that it's better than TLA.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
I think we should wait until Korra finishes off its second (and maybe third) season before comparing the two.
SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
At the moment, definitely ATLA.
Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
TLA is winning by a long shot for me
cfstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cfstar
Member since 2009 • 1979 Posts

It's too early to say, Korra only one season.

I've only seen a handful of episodes of Korra, but for now, i definitely enjoyed TLA more.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts
Both are phenomenal shows. Korra had a great start and each episode built into one another. It was great and to the point which made the situation seem more dire. TLA on the other hand started off slower but you had more time to get to know each character. It was longer with a lot of episodes that were gems. I'd have to say TLA is better simply on the fact that there is more substance than that of Korra. It will be easy to compare once Korra has finished airing.
Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts
I dont even care enough to watch a single episode of Korra, so TLA wins for me. TLA was a really good anime, but sort of ended to quick imo
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#9 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

The Last Airbender was good, Legend of Korra was alright.

DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaJuicyMan
Member since 2010 • 3557 Posts

TLA

i don't even watch shows but that was the shlt.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Both were incredible shows however I didn't like the pace of Legend of Korra.

Can't wait for season 2 though.

killa4lyfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 killa4lyfe
Member since 2008 • 3849 Posts

Both were incredible shows however I didn't like the pace of Legend of Korra.

Can't wait for season 2 though.

leviathan91
This. Gotta go with The Last Airbender :)
Avatar image for jerk-o-tron2000
jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jerk-o-tron2000
Member since 2007 • 10036 Posts

Took me a while to get into TLA, I haven't even seen a single episode of Korra.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#14 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts
TLA. I will say, TLOK is pretty good, and I love how well it continues the story, and yet has its own plot while continuing the first. But, even so, TLA just has a better feeling to it.
sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
The Legend of Korra needs its Zuko Alone episode.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#16 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Haven't seen either yet, planning to watch Last Airbender in the near future though.
killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

one show is 61 episodes and the other has 26 episodes

hmmmm yeah the show with 61 episodes and a bunch of other great things on the other show as well

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 chessmaster1989
I'm actually a little curious though having not watched it but heard a lot of people praise it, but what makes Last Airbender so good? What's kind of always thrown me off about it is that it looks like an anime shounen which I'm not all that into these days, but maybe that's just appearances.
Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

I've seen all 12 Korra episodes but I haven't seen all TLA episodes (just some dispersed fillers.)

I'm going to say Korra. I love the characters in Korra much more than the ones in TLA. Toph's great and all, but I really like Korra, Lin, Tenzin and Bolin. I liked the animation of Korra better too, for obvious reasons. The Equalists didn't live up to my expectations, but the potential was there. TLA was just a generic empire, but it was handled well.

cabose38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 cabose38
Member since 2005 • 1162 Posts

I'm actually a little curious though having not watched it but heard a lot of people praise it, but what makes Last Airbender so good? What's kind of always thrown me off about it is that it looks like an anime shounen which I'm not all that into these days, but maybe that's just appearances.chessmaster1989

Well it is American made for a start. It doesn't fall into most anime cliches imo. It is also more kid friendly.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Meinhard1

The Legend of Korra needs its Zuko Alone episode.sammyjenkis898
Legend of Korra needs its Zuko. :P

Avatar image for jerk-o-tron2000
jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jerk-o-tron2000
Member since 2007 • 10036 Posts

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]I'm actually a little curious though having not watched it but heard a lot of people praise it, but what makes Last Airbender so good? What's kind of always thrown me off about it is that it looks like an anime shounen which I'm not all that into these days, but maybe that's just appearances.cabose38

Well it is American made for a start. It doesn't fall into most anime cliches imo. It is also more kid friendly.

Yes, purist don't consider it anime....

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 leviathan91

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]The Legend of Korra needs its Zuko Alone episode.Meinhard1

No no it needs more Sokka.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Meinhard1

[QUOTE="Meinhard1"]

[QUOTE="sammyjenkis898"]The Legend of Korra needs its Zuko Alone episode.leviathan91

No no it needs more Sokka.

Well, right now Bolin is kind of a poor man's Sokka.
If they develop him a bit in season 2 (and subsequent seasons) he could probably be the next Sokka.
killerband55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 killerband55
Member since 2003 • 107961 Posts

Meinhard1

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="cabose38"]

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]I'm actually a little curious though having not watched it but heard a lot of people praise it, but what makes Last Airbender so good? What's kind of always thrown me off about it is that it looks like an anime shounen which I'm not all that into these days, but maybe that's just appearances.jerk-o-tron2000

Yes, purist don't consider it anime....

I know it's not anime, I'm just saying what it reminded me of.
ice144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ice144
Member since 2005 • 3350 Posts
Easily the original. Korra started off great, then it declined quickly. And don't even get me started on the season finale. Fortunately they have a chance to redeem themselves in the later seasons.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 leviathan91

[QUOTE="Meinhard1"]

killerband55

:lol: This still gets to me. :lol:

svm128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 svm128
Member since 2007 • 376 Posts

Both are good but the original is better.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#30 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

haven't watched through Legend of Korra yet. do plan on it though.

i'm re-watching through Avatar then lead into Korra.

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Philokalia
Member since 2012 • 2910 Posts

Avatar the Last airbender had the feel to an epic to it, it had hte feeling of a new and exicting fantasy world whereas we all knew what to expect with Legend of Korra. Korra was inferior to the original but its not like I can blame it, theres no much they could have done to give it the same impact as the first series had.

J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 J-man45

Good responses y'all. Yes, it is a bit early for Korra right now, but as I've seen people gushing over the caliber of the first season I wanted to see what OT thought. I also prefer The Last Airbender as of now.

For those that have not seen any of Korra, you can find every episode online at www.nick.com/videos

LZ71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 LZ71
Member since 2008 • 10524 Posts
So far I'd side with The Last Airbender, but that's not really a fair fight seeing as TLA had three seasons, while TLoK has had only one.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Easily the original. Korra started off great, then it declined quickly. And don't even get me started on the season finale. Fortunately they have a chance to redeem themselves in the later seasons.ice144
^that sums up my thoughts as well

First thing they need to do is get rid of Mako and replace him with Iroh.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
Wonder what the odds are of the next book opening with Amon washing up on shore, alive, and actually scarred.
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
Wonder what the odds are of the next book opening with Amon washing up on shore, alive, and actually scarred. SaintLeonidas
I would L-O-to-the-motherf*cking-L.
Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Meinhard1
Wonder what the odds are of the next book opening with Amon washing up on shore, alive, and actually scarred. SaintLeonidas
While his last scene in season 1 seems like a good end for his character, I'd kind of be all right with this. Amon was really interesting and I'd love to get more on him. Although, on the down side, I've kind of had enough of ---- ------ [Amons hidden ability]
J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 J-man45

[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]Wonder what the odds are of the next book opening with Amon washing up on shore, alive, and actually scarred. Meinhard1
While his last scene in season 1 seems like a good end for his character, I'd kind of be all right with this. Amon was really interesting and I'd love to get more on him. Although, on the down side, I've kind of had enough of ---- ------ [Amons hidden ability]

Definitely think they both died from the way they showed it. Remember how they refused to let us think the pilots of the airplanes died by showing them having parachutes? But all we get with Amon and Tarlok is a definitive looking explosion in the middle of the ocean. Frankly I would disappointed to see them return.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Meinhard1
I'm actually a little curious though having not watched it but heard a lot of people praise it, but what makes Last Airbender so good? What's kind of always thrown me off about it is that it looks like an anime shounen which I'm not all that into these days, but maybe that's just appearances.chessmaster1989
Yeah, the art style was a bit of a turn off for me as well. I've only recently given the show a shot. I think the show's writing is the main reason a lot of adults like it. TLA has some really strong main characters. They all have a good degree of depth to them and develop well as the series progresses. Also, the fight scenes are great - they're creative, varied, the choreography is satisfying to watch. Just a heads up -- while the show starts off pretty well, it's later in season 1 (12th or 13th episode in) where I really started to get hooked.
J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 J-man45

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]I'm actually a little curious though having not watched it but heard a lot of people praise it, but what makes Last Airbender so good? What's kind of always thrown me off about it is that it looks like an anime shounen which I'm not all that into these days, but maybe that's just appearances.Meinhard1
Yeah, the art style was a bit of a turn off for me as well. I've only recently given the show a shot. I think the show's writing is the main reason a lot of adults like it. TLA has some really strong main characters. They all have a good degree of depth to them and develop well as the series progresses. Also, the fight scenes are great - they're creative, varied, the choreography is satisfying to watch. Just a heads up -- while the show starts off pretty well, it's later in season 1 (12th or 13th episode in) where I really started to get hooked.

There's some episodes in season one that are a little hard to sit still and watch, but the finale of that season and seasons 2 and 3 are top notch.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Meinhard1

[QUOTE="Meinhard1"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]Wonder what the odds are of the next book opening with Amon washing up on shore, alive, and actually scarred. J-man45

Definitely think they both died from the way they showed it. Remember how they refused to let us think the pilots of the airplanes died by showing them having parachutes? But all we get with Amon and Tarlok is a definitive looking explosion in the middle of the ocean.

Yeah.... and if they brought Amon back I think it would detract from that scene quite a bit. (I was surprised Nick allowed them to kill those characters off so explicitly.)
J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 J-man45

[QUOTE="J-man45"]

[QUOTE="Meinhard1"] While his last scene in season 1 seems like a good end for his character, I'd kind of be all right with this. Amon was really interesting and I'd love to get more on him. Although, on the down side, I've kind of had enough of ---- ------ [Amons hidden ability]Meinhard1

Definitely think they both died from the way they showed it. Remember how they refused to let us think the pilots of the airplanes died by showing them having parachutes? But all we get with Amon and Tarlok is a definitive looking explosion in the middle of the ocean.

Yeah.... and if they brought Amon back I think it would detract from that scene quite a bit. (I was surprised Nick allowed them to kill those characters off so explicitly.)

I mean it's not impossible. Iroh probably should have died when he took that face full of missile. But I have a feeling they are gone for good. And I agree shocking morbid death for a kid's show.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Meinhard1

[QUOTE="Meinhard1"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]I'm actually a little curious though having not watched it but heard a lot of people praise it, but what makes Last Airbender so good? What's kind of always thrown me off about it is that it looks like an anime shounen which I'm not all that into these days, but maybe that's just appearances.J-man45

There's some episodes in season one that are a little hard to sit still and watch, but the finale of that season and seasons 2 and 3 are top notch.

I would say the finale of Season 1 is top notch as well. But yeah. "The King of Omashu," "The Fortuneteller," and especially "The Great Divide" are low points for the series. The other two seasons were a bit more consistent in terms of episode quality.

EDIT: That brings me to one think I loved about Korra - no useless filler episodes. I love how focused the story was (although a bit too streamlined).

Every episode seemed to have a memorable scene, an interesting quotation, a shocking reveal, a great meme, etc. There was always something to talk about.

J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 J-man45

[QUOTE="J-man45"]

[QUOTE="Meinhard1"] Yeah, the art style was a bit of a turn off for me as well. I've only recently given the show a shot. I think the show's writing is the main reason a lot of adults like it. TLA has some really strong main characters. They all have a good degree of depth to them and develop well as the series progresses. Also, the fight scenes are great - they're creative, varied, the choreography is satisfying to watch. Just a heads up -- while the show starts off pretty well, it's later in season 1 (12th or 13th episode in) where I really started to get hooked. Meinhard1

I would say the finale of Season 1 is top notch as well. But yeah. "The King of Omashu," "The Fortuneteller," and especially "The Great Divide" are low points for the series. The other two seasons were a bit more consistent in terms of episode quality.

I like "The King of Omashu" simply because I think Bumi is actually an interesting character. "The Great Divide" is definitely pretty low. I guess "The Fortuneteller" is pretty iffy as well, but since I'm a fan of the Aang and Katara romance, it sort of advances that plot.

EDIT: Yeah the only complaint I've seen is that there are a few too many Pro Bending episodes. But I don't understand that because I thought Pro Bending was pretty cool and fun to watch because the sequences were cool.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Meinhard1

[QUOTE="Meinhard1"][QUOTE="J-man45"]

J-man45

I like "The King of Omashu" simply because I think Bumi is actually an interesting character. "The Great Divide" is definitely pretty low. I guess "The Fortuneteller" is pretty iffy as well, but since I'm a fan of the Aang and Katara romance, it sort of advances that plot.

EDIT: Yeah the only complaint I've seen is that there are a few too many Pro Bending episodes. But I don't understand that because I thought Pro Bending was pretty cool and fun to watch because the sequences were cool.

While "The King of Omashu" does get points for introducing him; Bumi was more just a silly old man in that episode.I liked him a lot more in Seasons 2 and 3 where you can see the wisdom behind his madness. On second thought "The Fortuneteller" was okay. It had a few humerous moments and the Aang Katara stuff was all right.

I found probending to be a really interesting idea and they did a good job of mixing it with character development and plot advancement. That said, I found the second half of the season to be more interesting overall.

J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 J-man45

While "The King of Omashu" does get points for introducing him; Bumi was more just a silly old man in that episode.I liked him a lot more in Seasons 2 and 3 where you can see the wisdom behind his madness. On second thought "The Fortuneteller" was okay. It had a few humerous moments and the Aang Katara stuff was all right.

I found probending to be a really interesting idea and they did a good job of mixing it with character development and plot advancement. That said, I found the second half of the season to be more interesting overall.

Meinhard1

One thing I still have trouble accepting about Korra is how powerful in combat the Equalist fighters are. Granted, they have technology and probably extensive training, but in many of the encounters they make the benders look pretty weak. It especially grinds me when I see those idiot metal benders getting electrocuted again and again. I mean obviously the benders sort of win in the end but many times Korra herself just gets embarrassed by the quickness and finesse of the eqalist fighters. It's strange because you would think benders like Aang and Katara would be unstoppable.

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts
Not really a fair comparison korra is still fresh, i mean ATLA didn't really hit it's stride until season 2 in Ba Sing Se.
J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 J-man45

Not really a fair comparison korra is still fresh, i mean ATLA didn't really hit it's stride until season 2 in Ba Sing Se.eboyishere

Really? Even in light of Season One's finale?

eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

[QUOTE="eboyishere"]Not really a fair comparison korra is still fresh, i mean ATLA didn't really hit it's stride until season 2 in Ba Sing Se.J-man45

Well The spirit/the storm is when it got interesting all the way to the finale. The problem is the first half of season 2 slowed down some of it's steam. I would say "the chase" was when it began to pick up again

J-man45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 J-man45

[QUOTE="J-man45"]

[QUOTE="eboyishere"]Not really a fair comparison korra is still fresh, i mean ATLA didn't really hit it's stride until season 2 in Ba Sing Se.eboyishere

Well The spirit/the storm is when it got interesting all the way to the finale. The problem is the first half of season 2 slowed down some of it's steam. I would say "the chase" was when it began to pick up again

I take it you didn't like Toph's introduction then? ("The Blind Bandit") But I could see how the episodes before that could be a little iffy. They didn't have much to talk about until Aang started Earthbending.