AU Discussion Thread (Australian Users)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#251  Edited By mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts

@36Chambers93: You might think we arent doing enough, but we seriously are doing everything we can. Hence why Zo is placing all our efforts in this thread, if we generate enough here, it should be evidence enough that we want the darn AU Board again.

I really do hope it comes sooner rather than later.. I feel even our community will diminish soon, which would be a real darn shame... From all the decisions done so far, axing the AU board is the only one I have hated.

Its like living in a tent when our home was burnt down.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#252  Edited By Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

Yeah the decision to stagger rollout of forums that had decent traffic doesn't seem logical to me. Unless they thought we'd just merge with the general public and use the generic threads although, tbh, I just think they didn't consider it at all until after the fact. GameSpot web design has always seemed a bit "cowboy"ish which is weird when you consider the popularity of the site!

@36Chambers93 - You can always go give me crap here in the meantime http://chickan117.blogspot.com.au/. I just started tracking again yesterday.

Oh and thank you for the pinball feedback. I have a few pinball games whihc I love however nothing compares to the real thing. I still love the physical machines, esp T2 and Adams Family and Doctor Who. We're still trying to find land for our new house (hard to find a block that will accomodate a 56 square house and have a back yard!) but, when we do, space shouldn't be an issue for me... so it just boils down to "am I buying something I'll enjoy for a bit then just use to support other things like an inconveniently shaped table" :)

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#253  Edited By 36Chambers93
Member since 2012 • 261 Posts

@mystic_knight said:

@36Chambers93: You might think we arent doing enough, but we seriously are doing everything we can. Hence why Zo is placing all our efforts in this thread, if we generate enough here, it should be evidence enough that we want the darn AU Board again.

I really do hope it comes sooner rather than later.. I feel even our community will diminish soon, which would be a real darn shame... From all the decisions done so far, axing the AU board is the only one I have hated.

You are not doing enough, just get @jamesh-42 to do it all, he is the coding genius :P

And also **** this 2 post in a row limitation rule, I mean seriously I cant even quote back to my peeps and I find it too cumbersome at times to multi quote, despite me understanding enough HTML. I just want a quick button reply that takes out all the effort.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254  Edited By Chickan_117

Why can't you post twice in a row?

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By Chickan_117

I can

Edit : Oh I see what you mean

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256  Edited By 36Chambers93

@Chickan_117 said:

I can

Edit : Oh I see what you mean

lol yeah you have to wait until someone else posts for it to unlock again I believe

OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 OmitName
Member since 2005 • 766 Posts

perhaps keeping people from posting three times in a row is something mods and staff should set upon post pumpers and shameless bumpers not be something for everyone to trip over.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By Chickan_117

True. I guess that's what the edit button is for but, as Chambers mentions, it's not overly helpful if you want to quote someone.

Anyone here used Blockbuster for purchases before? They have really good prices on Super Mario 3D World, Zelda LKink Between Worlds and Last of Us.

http://www.blockbuster.com.au/games/super-mario-3d-world-nintendo-wii-u/dp/409589

and a bunch of other stuff as well I'm sure; they're just the only ones I looked up

Serial_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#259 Serial_Killa
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

@mystic_knight said:
Hence why Zo is placing all our efforts in this thread, if we generate enough here, it should be evidence enough that we want the darn AU Board again.

So I take it that means an AU board is by no means a certainty, unless we give enough reason? Not sure if that will happen. I know many people aren't overly impressed with the recent change, myself included. Visiting this site has become somewhat of a chore. Much harder to find and interact with nearly everthing.

All I tend to do now is click on a few forums, search through all the posts because I can no longer go straight to posts unread, and usually leave thinking what a hassle.

I understand it's still all new and being worked on yada, yada, yada, but I can't even post an emoticon FFS. The site no longer has character.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260 mystic_knight

@Serial_Killa: Im with you there Serial. But all we have is the word of what was given to Zo. According to that we should see it in the second stage... What this second stage is i have no idea.. I mean the sports discussion thread came after the site rollout... Was that stage 1.5 i don't know...

mystical_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#261 mystical_fan
Member since 2002 • 25 Posts

I can't say that I'm too thrilled with new format. Takes a bit of getting used to

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 Chickan_117

@Serial_Killa said:

I understand it's still all new and being worked on yada, yada, yada,

See this is one of the things that bugs me. Yeah the site layout is new and being worked on but, in most upgrade projects you run thru the stages of development, testing, then staggered deployment. Their goal should have been to minimise the impact of the change and then just deal with the people moaning about stuff they don't like as opposed to core stuff that isn't functional.

I know it's a free site but, for a company so internet based, I expect a considerably more professional approach.

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By 36Chambers93

@Chickan_117 said:

@Serial_Killa said:

I understand it's still all new and being worked on yada, yada, yada,

See this is one of the things that bugs me. Yeah the site layout is new and being worked on but, in most upgrade projects you run thru the stages of development, testing, then staggered deployment. Their goal should have been to minimise the impact of the change and then just deal with the people moaning about stuff they don't like as opposed to core stuff that isn't functional.

I know it's a free site but, for a company so internet based, I expect a considerably more professional approach.

Agreed

bayloski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264  Edited By bayloski
Member since 2010 • 2707 Posts

No one answered my question regarding talking about piracy, where's mjc when u need him???

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 36Chambers93

@mystic_knight said:

@Serial_Killa: Im with you there Serial. But all we have is the word of what was given to Zo. According to that we should see it in the second stage... What this second stage is i have no idea.. I mean the sports discussion thread came after the site rollout... Was that stage 1.5 i don't know...

v2.0 should have been v1.0

Like I have said been through the corporate bullshit myself and in particular with my old job I went through a similar issue myself where I built our teams intranet site using the shitty mid 90's in house software and was told to roll out a bodgy version that I was ashamed to be a part of, so much so that I told them to get the shit kickers with no web knowledge to build it.

Corporate told me, v2 will utilise all my improvements and quality that I originally demonstrated and would consider as v1 standard, which was basically using up to date standards such as HTML5/CSS3.

Guess what happened to v2, nothing. It was shelved because of political reasons ie I was the only skilled person who could code and leadership being non technical people did not want me to be so skillful within the team holding the power.

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 36Chambers93

@bayloski said:

No one answered my question regarding talking about piracy, where's mjc when u need him???

Assassins Creed 4 is about piracy :P

Mate I agree, I recall I also got modded once for mentioning emulators to than have AU staff can go off and freely discuss the same topic as part of a podcast.

Dolphin yo

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 mystic_knight

@bayloski said:

If its news related it has always been fine to discuss the issues around piracy.. Its never been ok to discuss methods of circumventing protection or ways to obtain pirated goods or service..

For example. Ben's post above thankfully is blanketed after dolphin. If he said what it was used for and how to obtain it, that becomes against the ToU. But if its general discussion that a console has been pirated due to emulation. That has been deemed acceptable as its a news topic you can discuss.

jamesh-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#268 jamesh-42
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts
@36Chambers93 said:

@mystic_knight said:

You are not doing enough, just get @jamesh-42 to do it all, he is the coding genius :P

I've come off about 8 years of web development and have been doing something different this year, so it's not the kind of thing I'd volunteer for :)

Switching back to speculation mode, I doubt there is need for any more code problems to solve here: they successfully migrated the data for thousands of forums on the site, and there doesn't seem to be a reason why those same scripts couldn't migrate the AU board. All that's left is a policy decision (whether they actually want regional boards on the new site) and for ops to actually carry out the job.

As far as the policy decision goes, Zorine has said she's advocating on our behalf, so I'd give her a chance. If the other forums return later this week and the regional ones are still missing, then it is time to start complaining again.

Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#269 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

They are essentially trying to turn Big Rigs into GTA 5. :P

I agree with all the complaints about the site, everyone can see the issues but the problem is only the staff on the technical part of the website can fix them. The other issue is in the end Gamespot is an American focused website with an Australian, UK and Asia arms so we are not top priority but we have already told them we want the AU board back, now all we can do is hope they listen.

Serial_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By Serial_Killa

Images and videos seem to be much easier to add and upload and the reply button seems to be a good addition. But by far the best new feature, although not sure how long it will be allowed, is the ability to be able to write a certain swear word.

Fucking Awesome. ;)

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 mystic_knight

@Serial_Killa said:

Images and videos seem to be much easier to add and upload and the reply button seems to be a good addition. But by far the best new feature, although not sure how long it will be allowed, is the ability to be able to write a certain swear word.

Fucking Awesome. ;)

Nah the best new feature is multi user PM. although the ones you mention are great.

bayloski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By bayloski
@36Chambers93 said:

@bayloski said:

Assassins Creed 4 is about piracy :P

Mate I agree, I recall I also got modded once for mentioning emulators to than have AU staff can go off and freely discuss the same topic as part of a podcast.

Dolphin yo

It's fuckin stupid. I agree with your above statements too regarding the fact they seem to tweak the ToU's where something would have been moddable is now all good.

@mystic_knight said:

@bayloski said:

If its news related it has always been fine to discuss the issues around piracy.. Its never been ok to discuss methods of circumventing protection or ways to obtain pirated goods or service..

For example. Ben's post above thankfully is blanketed after dolphin. If he said what it was used for and how to obtain it, that becomes against the ToU. But if its general discussion that a console has been pirated due to emulation. That has been deemed acceptable as its a news topic you can discuss.

I think if you can't discuss something then it should be a blanket of no discussion. What your saying is I could say "*insert torrent site* has just closed down" but I can't say "*insert torrent site* has the maddest quality blu-ray rips".

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 mystic_knight

@bayloski said:
@mystic_knight said:

@bayloski said:

I think if you can't discuss something then it should be a blanket of no discussion. What your saying is I could say "*insert torrent site* has just closed down" but I can't say "*insert torrent site* has the maddest quality blu-ray rips".

Pretty much.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#274  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@Chickan_117 said:

To buy a Galaxy NOTE 3 or not to buy... that's the $800 question inc GST

@superbuuman said:

@Chickan_117 said:

So I'm being sent a copy of Deus Ex HR Director's Cut for review... question is do I add this to the shame pile or just play it again and not chalk it up?

Which version Wii U? ..or PS3/360?...if Wii U version does it cost more than PS3/360 version?..woo mention the price difference. Play it? they fix some things didn't they? :P

WiiU. They say they improved some gameplay elements (got a list detailing changes) and added the dual screen gameplay stuff. Really looking forward to it actually as I was overdue for a revisit.

I should clarify that I'm wondering whether I count it as a purchase/complete; not wondering whether I play it. Condition of getting review copies is that you have to get a review written and posted within about a week.

If you decide to write a review post a link. :)

They have a Resident Evil 6 board FFS..surely if they can have that we can have an AU board...& Im pretty sure there was a GSUK board as well ..seen it when I got redirected..sometimes. :P

Serial_Killa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275  Edited By Serial_Killa

If we have to "prove" that an AU board is needed, maybe we should all start spamming posts. The powers that be will be all like "Holy shit, we need to give them their own board, post count is off the charts". o_0

jamesh-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276  Edited By jamesh-42
@bayloski said:

Is it really that complicated? The difference is that the publishing the second statement could be considered contributory copyright infringement on the part of the site owners while the first one isn't.

For a free site, I don't really have any problem with them setting rules that minimise their risk of legal trouble. If they allow user content that isn't likely to cause legal trouble, I consider that a good thing rather than being a sign of inconsistency.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277  Edited By mystic_knight

@Serial_Killa said:

If we have to "prove" that an AU board is needed, maybe we should all start spamming posts. The powers that be will be all like "Holy shit, we need to give them their own board, post count is off the charts". o_0

Hahahahaha. It might work :P although making more discussion rather than spam will work much more effectively. ^_^.

So im gonna start a controversy Chambers said he loved Bayloski! And that they wanna go moonlight dancing. Nintendo_man and mjc are working together to take my cool status away. Zorine is my heart throb! chamboosy took my dog and desexed it without my permission. Superbuuman used his nintendo wiiU console and amplified it with an intel core i7 4770k the console owners and pc users have been owned. Jamesh has retired from programming to start a floral shop

bayloski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278  Edited By bayloski

@mystic_knight said:

Pretty much.

Thanks for the thoughtful insight there :P

To me it seems strange but obviously due to the various legality issues I can understand why.

But yeh our Aus community is dying in the arse at the moment.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 Chickan_117

@bayloski ... and where the **** have you been recently?

@superbuuman said:

If you decide to write a review post a link. :)

I will... I have to. It's all part of the deal. Get a free game and you get a week to play it, review it and post about it.

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 36Chambers93

@mystic_knight said:

@Serial_Killa said:

Hahahahaha. It might work :P although making more discussion rather than spam will work much more effectively. ^_^.

So im gonna start a controversy Chambers said he loved Bayloski! And that they wanna go moonlight dancing. Nintendo_man and mjc are working together to take my cool status away. Zorine is my heart throb! chamboosy took my dog and desexed it without my permission. Superbuuman used his nintendo wiiU console and amplified it with an intel core i7 4770k the console owners and pc users have been owned. Jamesh has retired from programming to start a floral shop

A bigger controversy would be me and you going on a date together for some Korean

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 mystic_knight
@36Chambers93 said:

@mystic_knight said:

@Serial_Killa said:

A bigger controversy would be me and you going on a date together for some Korean

Pfft who would believe that, Everyone knows i dont like korean

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282  Edited By 36Chambers93

@mystic_knight said:
@36Chambers93 said:

@mystic_knight said:

@Serial_Killa said:

Pfft who would believe that, Everyone knows i dont like korean

I think you should bring your macbook with you as well, we can sit together watching youtube k pop videos on safari browser ;)

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283  Edited By mystic_knight

That sounds a little too romantic for my liking man

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#284 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

This forum was downright unreadable on anything above a 22' screen until I pressed the 'fixed forum layout' button on the top right.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 Chickan_117

@36Chambers93 said:

I think you should bring your macbook with you as well, we can sit together watching youtube k pop videos on safari browser ;)

Better make sure you've converted them to quicktime first or it prolly won't work ;)

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 mystic_knight

Just watchd the anime film Sky crawlers.. Its a great film, very touching end to it. Its the story about kids designed to be fighter jet pilots. Definitely worth a watch if you dont mind sitting through slower parts of a film. 8/10

Chamboosy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 Chamboosy
Member since 2009 • 4309 Posts

Re: Blockbuster games. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just like Video Ezy games. I bought a few games from there with no problems, but they do come from Asia so take a bit of time to get here. There's no explaining that on the Video Ezy website though. They are AUS store compatible though.

Mystic - I'd think sterilising your dog for free would be good! It's not cheap to sterilise animals these days (that said, Bayloski, I can hook you up with a good knackering if you like... for your dog, not you).

This board does give me the shits though. I mean, the old forum used to be my homepage. Now we've lost people like tagsix and ausblackmateria and the discussions about politics and Aussie footy are gone. I want to complain about Tiny Rabbit for fucks sake.

I sure do hope we get our own board soon though.

Chamboosy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288  Edited By Chamboosy

**** it, here's some pictures of an echidna.

jamesh-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289 jamesh-42
@illmatic87 said:

This forum was downright unreadable on anything above a 22' screen until I pressed the 'fixed forum layout' button on the top right.

The "fixed forum layout" option also seems to improve the rendering speed for the forums enormously too (especially on mobile devices).

Chamboosy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290  Edited By Chamboosy

I can't wait until this hayfever season is over. It's been going on for too bloody long. I've had six antihistamine tablets today and still itchy as ****.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291  Edited By superbuuman

@Chamboosy said:

I can't wait until this hayfever season is over. It's been going on for too bloody long. I've had six antihistamine tablets today and still itchy as ****.

Dang I thought I had it bad...shouldn't it like last for 8 hours? ..my max is like 2 per day when its really bad..

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#292  Edited By THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

I saw a kangaroo today!

bayloski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293  Edited By bayloski

@Chickan_117 said:

@bayloski ... and where the **** have you been recently?

I've been flat out at work, so have had little chance to bludge on the net.

Have you cut the holiday weight gain yet? I'm down to 92 now, 7 to go!!!

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294  Edited By Chickan_117

Deus Ex HR Director's Cut seems as fun as I remember. So easy to lose a bunch of time doing what is essentially a short mission. Mucho time spent hiding and waiting :) Graphics look worse than I remember so I'm reinstalling the PC version to do a comparison. The dual screen system is bloody fantastic however! Here are some pretty pics if interested. I had a good one of searching bodies but it wouldn't upload. Stoopid Miiverse errors. I like that, by having the menus on the bottom screen, you can continue toi play on the top screen. Works well.

@bayloski said:

Well done man! I'm well off that as I spent the week after holidays bludging and eating crappy. Actually the whole family got gastro for most of my week off and, as I only got it for 24 hoursish, I ended up looking after them. Too hard to eat and excercise properly in those situations so fast and easy food like pizza were my pleasure to consume :)

bayloski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295  Edited By bayloski

@bayloski said:

Well done man! I'm well off that as I spent the week after holidays bludging and eating crappy. Actually the whole family got gastro for most of my week off and, as I only got it for 24 hoursish, I ended up looking after them. Too hard to eat and excercise properly in those situations so fast and easy food like pizza were my pleasure to consume :)

Oh well there's still time before you get the summer bikini on.

Funnily enough I was just looking at the CRUST Pizza menu. Thinking I'll treat myself to one tomorrow night.

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296  Edited By 36Chambers93

Do not give up on the workouts dudes.

I'm sorry you got sick Chickan but you need to get back at it again and make excersie a lifestyle where it becomes natural. Bayloski, dont do it. CRUST isnt that great and think of those calories, if you have to consume a pizza make one yourself, healthier/tastier and cheaper.

I do my local run for 4km under 20 minutes and do it while I have my food heating up in the oven or steam cooker. I burn 350 calories in that time.

Last 2 weeks I have gotten 4 of my friends to join me for an hour session 3 times a week where I train them on what I learnt from my bootcamp classes, I've actually become their personal trainer lol.

Its so much more fun if you do a workout with mates.

elektrixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297 elektrixx
Member since 2010 • 2574 Posts

I no longer have 4% of my day to spare. Doesn't count the 30 minute round trip to the gym either.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298  Edited By superbuuman

^ on the matter of exercise..my sis who was 94.5kg ...has been exercising..& eating healthy & cutting down on bad snacks...she's been doing this secretly for a few months..she's now 70kg...about 168cm She's been overweight throughout her life. Very proud of her. :D

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299  Edited By 36Chambers93

@elektrixx said:

I no longer have 4% of my day to spare. Doesn't count the 30 minute round trip to the gym either.

But you have time to play video games and post here lol

30 minutes to the gym, thought you were in Melbourne suburbs. I couldnt imagine the distance being an issue so its likely to be traffic, you could always ride a bike or go to the gym at a quiet time of day. In my area I have 6 gyms I could walk to in 10 minutes.

36Chambers93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300 36Chambers93

@superbuuman said:

^ on the matter of exercise..my sis who was 94.5kg ...has been exercising..& eating healthy & cutting down on bad snacks...she's been doing this secretly for a few months..she's now 70kg...about 168cm She's been overweight throughout her life. Very proud of her. :D

I bet you that her self confidence is up as well.