AU Discussion Thread (Australian Users)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#651 Edited by jamesh-42 (4331 posts) -
@36Chambers93 said:

I swear you guys need to get your eyes checked, have you even compared the screens yourself in the flesh or at least checked any of the videos I linked. Its as clear as day and night the difference in quality.

I have no doubt that you can see a difference if you stand close. I'm disputing that the difference is noticeable at a normal viewing distance. Measure how far you sit from your current TV, and then next time you go to the showroom compare the TVs while standing at that distance.

I watched the video you posted. I agree that it showed the text was clearer on the 4K panel, but I wouldn't have been able to read that text on either screen from couch distance.

For the other comparison he said that the colour looked better on the 4K set, which shouldn't have anything to do with resolution. That means that either the 4K TV had a wider colour gamut (i.e. it can reproduce more colours), or the two sets were not calibrated the same. If it is the former then that is a good advertisement for wide colour gamut TVs If it is the latter, then the comparison is meaningless.

So just to be clear: I'm saying that for most people an upgrade to 4K is pointless unless they're also upgrading to a much larger TV. The 55" 4K TVs are at the borderline where you might notice the difference if you were sitting at ~ 2 meters. It is the larger size sets where 4K shines, and it isn't as clear to me that they will see the same wide adoption.

#652 Posted by bayloski (2707 posts) -

I was quite close to having some good luck on the horses today. Did the Quaddie (last 4 races) at Ascot and managed to pick 3 out of 3 going into the fourth. My pick was the favourite. Got caught sitting to far back in 4th coming around the bend and gave it it's all trying to catch the leader but came second by a neck. Unfortunately that neck made me miss out on at least $7k :-(

#653 Posted by Nintendo_Man (19628 posts) -

You could have spent that money on a new 4k TV.

#654 Edited by bayloski (2707 posts) -

You could have spent that money on a new 4k TV.

LOL.That wouldn't have even have been on the list.

#655 Edited by 36Chambers93 (1484 posts) -

Could have also bought the

@jamesh-42 said:
@36Chambers93 said:

I swear you guys need to get your eyes checked, have you even compared the screens yourself in the flesh or at least checked any of the videos I linked. Its as clear as day and night the difference in quality.

So just to be clear: I'm saying that for most people an upgrade to 4K is pointless unless they're also upgrading to a much larger TV. The 55" 4K TVs are at the borderline where you might notice the difference if you were sitting at ~ 2 meters. It is the larger size sets where 4K shines, and it isn't as clear to me that they will see the same wide adoption.

Bam we finally have a winner.

This is correct however this actually does apply for most people and they dont even know about it just like you guys who are not even thinking. PC users benefit immediately as you just mentioned sitting less than 2m from the screen, which also coincidentally applies to me the lounge room TV, where I use the screen in both instances.

Who, when buying a TV as an upgrade buys a smaller or same size screen to replace the previous one? Its an upgrade for reason so people who are not even in the market for 4k, lets say the technology doesnt exist right now, they jump up a few sizes.

Smallest 4k TV sizes start at 55 inch and Im convinced without having to check the averages that the average size of a family TV today is hovering at that 46-55 inch area. Even the most uninformed customer who walks into JB and tells the sales person I want a new TV will be presented at the store an option of getting a 2k or a 4k. The difference being as I have said from the very beginning is the financial factor is the difference.

Do they buy the $2000 2k 55 or the $4000 4k 55? And as an ex electrical goods sales man I would even present the matter that 4k will be the standard and its an investment for the next few years that is why it costs more now because its cutting edge. If you jump into the larger screens 60 upwards the differences will be more apparent and an easier sell and these people who buy larger screens more than likely have $$$ to burn, another ex sales man knowledge tip.

I was in the market for a TV before losing my job and 4k was my only option. I estimate that up to 30% of consumers who need a TV today are potential 4k purchasers. and they dont even know about it, In 12 months with prices dropping and more models available it could be 50%. The adoption will be quicker than you all think and for these "modern" consoles that do not even support 4k and are built to be around for 8 years when the TV's will be standard. Its rather very underwhelming considering they are called next gen consoles, they potentially had the chance to do what PS3 did for Blu Ray sales and give a larger user base, but its clear that with the prices much cheaper than last gens launch prices the hardware isnt that impressive.

#656 Edited by elektrixx (2568 posts) -

I'm fine holding off on 4K TVs's because it would be expensive to keep PC games running on ultra settings at 2160p.

[edit] Also no console for a few years will take advantage of it.

#657 Edited by superbuuman (2515 posts) -

4k TV atm simply isn't worth money atm, to me it's minor visual improvement, it'd be impossible for any sales person to convince me fork out couple of thousands more for the same screen size. Yea Im a tight arse tho. :P

#658 Posted by Chickan_117 (16329 posts) -

Picked this up cheap-ish ($30) today at JB. I know Chambers is down... anyone else wanna make up a foursome and take on the coop campaggin?

#659 Edited by bayloski (2707 posts) -

Well after dreaming of horses and what could have been last night noticed that one of my 'little black book' horses was racing today. Decided to have a punt on it. Put $40 to win on and $10 to place. Came in around 24-1. Walked into the TAB with $60 came out with $1015. Fuck you racing gods for yesterday.

#660 Posted by Nintendo_Man (19628 posts) -

Get a XB1 now so you can play with us. ;)

#661 Posted by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

@Nintendo_Man: Or he can build a pc and play with us on tuesday night!

#663 Posted by Chickan_117 (16329 posts) -

Seen the cover of the latest WWE game? I'm not the only one who thinks this logo would be more suitable... right?

#664 Posted by jamesh-42 (4331 posts) -

When he's in that pose, he's usually asking people if they can smell what he is cooking. So perhaps it'd be appropriate for a WWE/Cooking Mama cross over game?

#665 Posted by bayloski (2707 posts) -

Get a XB1 now so you can play with us. ;)

Yuck

#666 Posted by jamesh-42 (4331 posts) -

So, any guesses on when the new WA senate election will be held?

#667 Posted by Nintendo_Man (19628 posts) -

In the US, COD Ghosts is being made available 1 week before XB1 launch, hope they do that here so I don't have to carry everything at launch day.

#668 Edited by Chickan_117 (16329 posts) -

I'm a bit behind on my news. So they weren't able to find the missing votes and are going to redo it?

#669 Posted by Chamboosy (4309 posts) -

I'm going with April/May.

#670 Edited by jamesh-42 (4331 posts) -

@jamesh-42 said:

I'm a bit behind on my news. So they weren't able to find the missing votes and are going to redo it?

The missing 1375 ballots haven't been found, but they're declaring the result of the recount some time today: apparently they are legally required to, even though the investigation into the missing ballots is ongoing.

Unlike the original count where Shooters and Fishers were 14 votes ahead of Australian Christians leading to Palmer United and Labor getting the last two seats, this time Australian Christians were 12 votes ahead leading to the Sports Party and Greens getting the seats.

Clive Palmer has said he will be contesting the result in the Court of Disputed Returns, and Labor may do so too. If the missing ballot papers aren't found or the chain of custody was broken, then a new election seems most likely.

I reckon it will be earlier than that: as well as being quite close to when the new senators take office, the Coalition would probably prefer that any new election focuses on the previous government's failings rather than what the new government has been doing since being elected.

#671 Edited by 36Chambers93 (1484 posts) -

Picked this up cheap-ish ($30) today at JB. I know Chambers is down... anyone else wanna make up a foursome and take on the coop campaggin?

Still interested.

#672 Posted by Chickan_117 (16329 posts) -

So we just need two more. For a site full of people talking about gaming, playing with friends, etc. I thought there'd be more interest :) I def thought N_Man would've been in. I seem to recall he used to spend a LOT of time playing #2

#673 Posted by Nintendo_Man (19628 posts) -

It's because I finished the game months ago, did the campaign on insane myself (did all declassified missions at the same time and was only missing 3 stars on 4 levels). I am happy to help you guys out.

I spent most of my time playing online OverRun mode.

#674 Posted by bayloski (2707 posts) -

@Chickan_117 said:

@jamesh-42 said:

The missing 1375 ballots haven't been found, but they're declaring the result of the recount some time today: apparently they are legally required to, even though the investigation into the missing ballots is ongoing.

Unlike the original count where Shooters and Fishers were 14 votes ahead of Australian Christians leading to Palmer United and Labor getting the last two seats, this time Australian Christians were 12 votes ahead leading to the Sports Party and Greens getting the seats.

Clive Palmer has said he will be contesting the result in the Court of Disputed Returns, and Labor may do so too. If the missing ballot papers aren't found or the chain of custody was broken, then a new election seems most likely.

@Chamboosy said:

I reckon it will be earlier than that: as well as being quite close to when the new senators take office, the Coalition would probably prefer that any new election focuses on the previous government's failings rather than what the new government has been doing since being elected.

Has this happened before in Aus or is this a first??

Looks like I'll be voting below the line again....

#675 Posted by jamesh-42 (4331 posts) -
@bayloski said:

Apparently this is the first senate recount performed since the switch to preferential voting, so if we do have another senate election that would also be the first since that time.

#676 Edited by bayloski (2707 posts) -

@bayloski said:

Apparently this is the first senate recount performed since the switch to preferential voting, so if we do have another senate election that would also be the first since that time.

Interesting. I would actually also like to give some kudos to Ludlum for agreeing that it'd be right to contest the announcement in the courts.

#677 Posted by bayloski (2707 posts) -

So who's having a punt tomorrow. I've studied the form, the stats, and what I can and have come to the conclusion that I've still got no fucking idea.

I will be backing:

1st - Verema 2nd - Masked Marvel 3rd - Simenon.

*Disclaimer* I really do not have a clue who will win so don't treat these as a tip.

#678 Posted by Nintendo_Man (19628 posts) -

I would also be up for some Halo 3 or CE Anniversary on Legendary as well.

#679 Posted by deathjestar (514 posts) -

@Chickan_117 said:

Still interested.

I'm always down for gears, would be good to go through it again, depends on what time/day.

#681 Posted by Chickan_117 (16329 posts) -

I would also be up for some Halo 3 or CE Anniversary on Legendary as well.

I'm down for some Halo 4 or Reach or that reboot of the first one

I'm always down for gears, would be good to go through it again, depends on what time/day.

Sweet. That's 3 out of 4 then. I'm good pretty much any weeknight or Sunday after 8 (kids need to be in bed). Fri and Sat nights usually aren't any good for me.

#682 Posted by 36Chambers93 (1484 posts) -

Im available most during the night and after 8 suits me as well. My biggest problem though is my short attention span, I can probably only play for an hour at a time, perhaps kill off a stage at a time.

Also do you guys communicate ie have mics and headsets? Im not going to be a chatterbox or scream or sing to you all but I like to actually play cooperatively and discuss some form of tactics, ammo levels etc. I get that Gears isnt a deep game, but if we do tackle the harder levels, some form of communication is required.

#683 Posted by 36Chambers93 (1484 posts) -

@bayloski said:

So who's having a punt tomorrow.

Hell no, not even watching the borefest.

Seriously only Melbourne people who get the day off work should enjoy the day, for everyone else I seriously dont get the hype about horse racing first off and why all of a sudden we should "Stop" to watch it. Its just media hype and shits me that everyone becomes an expert punter all of a sudden, then those stupid outfits everyone wears.

It especially amuses me when the bogans all of a sudden try to look classy and wealthy.

Jockeys and trainers get all the praise, when its the actual horses that does the running.

Its not like you cannot simply just punt on any other race event during the year so what makes this one so special.

My apologies, not mad at you, just really do not get what makes the race stop the nation.

#684 Posted by bayloski (2707 posts) -

I get what you're saying but I suppose it's the biggest race of the year over here. It's the tradition and the hype etc. I bet on racing a bit so it doesn't really bother me but I quite enjoy that most people stop and watch/listen to it around the country. It's a good race for people that don't follow horses or form to have a punt and maybe a win though. I'm guessing it'd be the most watched sporting event in Aus??

I'd have to disagree on the jockeys and trainers statement, sorry. The way the jockey rode the horse actually cost me $7k+ on the weekend. Absolutely no fault of the horse. It's up to the trainers to work out best distances for the horse and tell the jockeys how they want it ridden. It's upto the jockey to ride it correctly on the day. The horse is the most important part obviously, but it is going to go quicker if you give it a kick and a whip.

#685 Posted by Nintendo_Man (19628 posts) -

Im available most during the night and after 8 suits me as well. My biggest problem though is my short attention span, I can probably only play for an hour at a time, perhaps kill off a stage at a time.

Also do you guys communicate ie have mics and headsets? Im not going to be a chatterbox or scream or sing to you all but I like to actually play cooperatively and discuss some form of tactics, ammo levels etc. I get that Gears isnt a deep game, but if we do tackle the harder levels, some form of communication is required.

Deathjestar and I always play together and use mics, I know Chickan does as well. Since I work nights (Wed-Sun) I can do Monday and Tuesday anytime.

#686 Posted by deathjestar (514 posts) -

8 sounds fine to me but Mondays and Wednesdays are out for me because I've got Krav over in Parra after work. As for the play time, really doesn't bother me I've finished the game so its just simply a revisit. Its not a real long game either so, an act a session or something would probably hit your attention span/playtime mark. When Nman and i play we always use headsets for both random chatter and the coop discussion stuff so yeah not a problem with that either.

#687 Edited by 36Chambers93 (1484 posts) -

Awesome fellas looks like we can make this happen.

@deathjestar said:

8 sounds fine to me but Mondays and Wednesdays are out for me because I've got Krav over in Parra after work.

As in Israeli self defense? That is freaking awesome, one for being kick ass the second for being in Parra.

I was going to learn Muay Thai but losing my job meant its risky committing to a contract that I may not be able to afford in the long term.

Have you heard of Bulldog Gym http://muaythaimma.com.au/

#688 Posted by deathjestar (514 posts) -

Awesome fellas looks like we can make this happen.

@deathjestar said:

8 sounds fine to me but Mondays and Wednesdays are out for me because I've got Krav over in Parra after work.

As in Israeli self defense? That is freaking awesome, one for being kick ass the second for being in Parra.

I was going to learn Muay Thai but losing my job meant its risky committing to a contract that I may not be able to afford in the long term.

Have you heard of Bulldog Gym http://muaythaimma.com.au/

Yep that's the one, Krav Maga. Over the past few years seeing Koz at GameSpotAU live events Krav was pretty much all he'd talk about, so last year i figured i'd see what the fuss was about and suss it out myself. I wasn't particularly interested in like competitive martial arts or ones that had like fancy uniforms in shit, so Krav Maga pretty much covered it.

It's all practical real world stuff, bar situations, multiple attackers, knife defense etc. The place isn't quite as fancy as that Muay Thai place but definitely does the job. Haven't actually heard of that Gym but can't say i really looked around, i just looked for a Krav place that was close to north rocks/baulko and assertiveaction (http://www.assertiveaction.com.au/) was the only place close.

#689 Posted by bayloski (2707 posts) -

My horse tipping was that bad one of them died....

#690 Posted by Chickan_117 (16329 posts) -

Gears of War - So it looks like we're going to be doing this Tuesday nights a level at a time from 8pm with headsets? Does that suit everyone? 4 players are me, @36Chambers93 , @deathjesta, r and @Nintendo_Man?

Horse Racing - I don't mind a free day off so I'm happy they like to promote it as a race to stop the nation. It's great for me as everywhere is empty. Took the kids bowling today and we had the place to ourselves! Vive la race day. I do think the whole nation should get a day off though. If they wanna market it as a race to stop the nation then they should do that!

#691 Posted by Iszdope (9396 posts) -

Didn't watch it.

I think horse racing is cruel.

#692 Posted by Chickan_117 (16329 posts) -

I used to think it was cruel too then I had a look at how race horses are treated. Hot damn the are well looked after!

#693 Edited by mystic_knight (13801 posts) -

I never watch the melbourne cup ... Not a particularly interesting event.

Guys if anyone here wants to watch the Community games night via stream. you can watch it here. I'll be streaming the event tonight. http://www.twitch.tv/mystic_knight

#694 Posted by Iszdope (9396 posts) -

Yeah, until they lose a few.

I've seen docos.

#695 Posted by Chickan_117 (16329 posts) -

I have a 40% off voucher for Company of Heroes 2 on Steam if anyone would like it.

#696 Posted by Chickan_117 (16329 posts) -

Yeah IO've heard of instances where a horse has become injured or performs poorly so they have them put down. I'd like to think that isn't the norm but, after seeing the attitude of a coulple of "dog racers" at work I wouldn't be surprised. Fucking disgusting practice. I can't express enough how much I loathe it

#697 Edited by Iszdope (9396 posts) -

Filthy animals.*

* Not the animals.

#698 Posted by jamesh-42 (4331 posts) -
@bayloski said:

My horse tipping was that bad one of them died....

So who do you think is going to win this community games night Mystic is organising?

#699 Posted by deathjestar (514 posts) -

Gears of War - So it looks like we're going to be doing this Tuesday nights a level at a time from 8pm with headsets? Does that suit everyone? 4 players are me, @36Chambers93 , @deathjesta, r and @Nintendo_Man?

Starting tonight? or next week? lol

#700 Edited by 36Chambers93 (1484 posts) -

I figured you guys were doing that PC game on Steam tonight ;)

I am unemployed so I have a shit load of time these days :P I cant play on Thursday cause its my mums birthday dinner, I dont expect anyone to commit on Friday/Saturday or even Sunday nights because I assume you all have lives. I dont :(

It actually looks like we should start next Tuesday.

Cant believe I am actually agreeing with both Mystic and Iszdope on the horse racing situation.

The sport is shit, is it even a sport? And the horses are only used for a means to the end, put down the jockeys instead. Like we really need more 45kg midgets in this world and those ultra rich owners can also fuck off. I hate that Tom Waterhouse fella.