Atheists have no morals?

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@yummifullz:

Nah, it was just your "purer" comment that threw me off. Besides, I have no stake in satanism and consider it nothing more than reactionary to christianity.

Personally, I'm just an amoral atheist ;)

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#103  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

Of course atheists can be moral, they can be extremely moral, and they can also be completely immoral. No religion is needed to see this but it might hinder some from realizing morality is a very standard human trait.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#104 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Also why do people think morality is anything but inherent?

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@sSubZerOo said:

...................... Well MrGeezer until you understand the ideas of CONTEXT I am going to stop and just say you have no idea what your talking about. Even when I flat out explained the entirety of it within context in a topic talking about moral ideals with atheism/theism...

And I explained how, within the context you've presented it, it's a stupid-ass quote.You're the one saying, "I guess you must not have seen the show", when that's entirely irrelevant since you've removed the quote from the context of the show.

Bruin1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Bruin1986
Member since 2007 • 1629 Posts

The idea that "atheists cannot possess morality" is so logically flawed it's laughable if you apply even a modicum of thought in analysis.

Religion is man made. There are literally hundreds of different religions on the planet, depending on how you precisely define a "religion".

Yet these man made constructs often attempt to convey certain morals. Why?

Because early civilizations learned that they functioned more smoothly if people followed certain basic concepts like don't kill each other, be a decent person, don't get jealous of your neighbor and steal his stuff, etc. Thus, they used religion (the most powerful application of mass psychology in history) to convey these ideas.

Christopher Hitchens has written extensively on this topic.