Atheists have no morals?

• 103 results
#51 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@_Judas_ said:

@The_Last_Ride: come on, guy. No need for "F-bombs". It was not my intention to attack you. It was merely meant as a general wondering, thinking out loud on the subject.

And, no: you didn't. You clearly state in the first post "Why do religious people think that atheists have no morale whatsoever?"

And sorry; I clearly meant atheists I'VE ENCOUNTERED In real life. I don't know you...so why should I mention you? The people in my post are people whom I've met and people whom I've dealt with. Sorry for the confusion. And I am sorry if I offended you, I only wished to contribute to 'why' atheists sometimes are considered "immoral".

First of all: I didn't get to finish my post, but now I've seen the video, and this guy is clearly a extremist or a follower or some very specific Christian-shit. This changes the situation completely:

Why do religious people think that atheists have no morale whatsoever?

The_Last_Ride

This guy sounds alot like an extremist, which changes the entire case. Listen to this guy... you're not doing good deeds unless you do them in the name of God. He's talking about chemicals and robots... If you watch his original video he talks about what [all] 'Christians' should do. THIS IS NOT THE MINDSET OF A "REGULAR" CHRISTIAN! Pay him no mind :p

I have no quarrels with atheists, frankly, I don't care...maybe I consider myself a bit of atheistic...or maybe agnostic.

i didn't say EVERYONE, i asked a general question why religious people think that we have no morals? See what i did there?

That was the whole point, how can someone think this?

i did not state every muslim, buddist or even christian had this mindset. Just some religious people

#52 Posted by _Judas_ (777 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride: ...but you have to admit your query could've been mistaken to mean all religous people. I did anyway. I apologize.

I don't really understand the ways of the extremists. They are extreme; they only approve their own ways, and everybody else will fail/go to hell.
I think this is very society and/or family/heritage-based. Look at the Westborough Church. Children are raised to believe that "the others" are evil, are the devil, have no morals.

If you have Netflix, check out the documentary by Louis Theroux called "weird weekends" and have a look at the episode concerning "born-again christians" and "Black nationalism", if you have the time and interest.

#53 Edited by PurpleLabel (314 posts) -

@toast_burner said:

@purplelabel said:

It's a scientific religious fact that only christians have morals. Morals is latin for Christian value. Atheists can find their own path to glory.

Are you trolling? Moral comes from the Latin word moralitas which means manner/character. It has nothing to do with Christianity.

No, that's latino. I'm talking about Latin, like the old language.

#54 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@_Judas_ said:

@The_Last_Ride: ...but you have to admit your query could've been mistaken to mean all religous people. I did anyway. I apologize.

I don't really understand the ways of the extremists. They are extreme; they only approve their own ways, and everybody else will fail/go to hell.

I think this is very society and/or family/heritage-based. Look at the Westborough Church. Children are raised to believe that "the others" are evil, are the devil, have no morals.

If you have Netflix, check out the documentary by Louis Theroux called "weird weekends" and have a look at the episode concerning "born-again christians" and "Black nationalism", if you have the time and interest.

yeah i have seen that stuff by Louis. It's fucked up. The reason i post something like this is because atheists are the most discriminated group in USA. More than any race in study that was done a while ago.

#55 Posted by PurpleLabel (314 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@_Judas_ said:

yeah i have seen that stuff by Louis. It's fucked up. The reason i post something like this is because atheists are the most discriminated group in USA. More than any race in study that was done a while ago.

Nobody discriminates against atheist because their skin isn't a different color. Ever see anybody wearing a sign around their neck that says atheist?

#56 Posted by Jacanuk (7127 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@Jacanuk said:

@The_Last_Ride: Do anyone need anyone to tell them that most normal sane people have morals since morals comes from having "Feeligns" and knowing whats right and wrong.

So crazy topic who everyone hopefully know isn't the case.

Obviously not, because someone asked her that question not understanding people without belief having no morals

Some people lack normal education. :) but of course people without religion has morals since morals came before the bible. And the most likely line of events is that morals lead humans to invent "god"

#57 Edited by Riverwolf007 (25420 posts) -

some might say that being good for a fabulous reward is no morality at all.

i mean lol right, the highest moral standards we have is as complex as telling a 3 year old if he is good in the store he can get a candy bar on the way out.

now i'm not an atheist or anything because y'know, hey, anything is possible but it's obvious to me that almost all the organized religions are simple little poorly written diversions meant to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

i bet god must get a hell of a laugh at all of peoples various beliefs.

unless it pisses him off to be portrayed as an immature vain genocidal maniac.

#58 Edited by br0kenrabbit (14356 posts) -

@purplelabel said:

No, that's latino. I'm talking about Latin, like the old language.

No, it's Latin.

moralitas, moralitatis

noun

declension: 3rd declension

Definitions:

morality, morals

#59 Posted by PurpleLabel (314 posts) -

@br0kenrabbit: latin, not latino.

#60 Edited by br0kenrabbit (14356 posts) -

@purplelabel said:

@br0kenrabbit: latin, not latino.

Moralitas is Latin. Latino is an ethnicity.

#61 Posted by lightleggy (16090 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

@lightleggy said:

Morals*. Morale is a mood characterized by feelings of bravery and happiness.

And the basic logic goes like this: Atheist don't believe in a higher power so they don't believe they are "restricted" to do stuff. Say if a religious guy is invited to a crazy party and he says "No thanks, because I don't really like crazy parties because I don't do drugs or drink". Then an atheist is invited as well, he goes over, he knows there is really nothing to fear asides from obvious consequences so he gets drunk and wasted.

Of course not every atheist is like that, or religious people for that matter. But that's just the basic premise behind the "atheists have no morals" train of thought.

I realize that that's the premise, I'm just saying that it's a stupid premise. It's like, there was recently a topic here about that movie The Purge, where murder was made legal for one night out of the year and then people actually went around murdering. Whether we're talking about god's law or man's law, incentives usually extend beyond the law. If you legally murder your neighbor on Purge Night, that's gonna have big fucking repercussions so you don't do it (even though it's legal). If you're an atheist and don't believe in god's law, murdering people is STILL gonna have big repercussions so you don't fucking do it. And in both cases, the law is typically reactionary rather than preventative, so the people who really want to do it are gonna do it anyway. God doesn't want priests banging little kids, but that didn't stop there from being that big scandal with Catholic priests being caught diddling kids.

You're comparing being moral with not being a murderer or child rapist. Being moral is simply following a set guide of social morals. Very few cultures see doing drugs and getting shitwasted as something positive, so their moral is "dont do those things".

#62 Posted by MrGeezer (58247 posts) -

@lightleggy said:

@MrGeezer said:

@lightleggy said:

And the basic logic goes like this: Atheist don't believe in a higher power so they don't believe they are "restricted" to do stuff. Say if a religious guy is invited to a crazy party and he says "No thanks, because I don't really like crazy parties because I don't do drugs or drink". Then an atheist is invited as well, he goes over, he knows there is really nothing to fear asides from obvious consequences so he gets drunk and wasted.

Of course not every atheist is like that, or religious people for that matter. But that's just the basic premise behind the "atheists have no morals" train of thought.

I realize that that's the premise, I'm just saying that it's a stupid premise. It's like, there was recently a topic here about that movie The Purge, where murder was made legal for one night out of the year and then people actually went around murdering. Whether we're talking about god's law or man's law, incentives usually extend beyond the law. If you legally murder your neighbor on Purge Night, that's gonna have big fucking repercussions so you don't do it (even though it's legal). If you're an atheist and don't believe in god's law, murdering people is STILL gonna have big repercussions so you don't fucking do it. And in both cases, the law is typically reactionary rather than preventative, so the people who really want to do it are gonna do it anyway. God doesn't want priests banging little kids, but that didn't stop there from being that big scandal with Catholic priests being caught diddling kids.

You're comparing being moral with not being a murderer or child rapist. Being moral is simply following a set guide of social morals. Very few cultures see doing drugs and getting shitwasted as something positive, so their moral is "dont do those things".

Yeah, and most cultures don't see rape and murder as something positive, so they say "don't do those things."

Murder and rape are EXAMPLES of things that are "immoral". The point being that morality can be guided by secular (rather than religious incentives). But it generally tends to be based on incentives, the question of "what do I get out of it?" Arbitrarily saying that "the expectation of an afterlife"is the standard makes no sense. I'm an atheist, and I act "moral" for all sorts of secular reasons that directly tie into me "getting something out of it." Being hated and ostracized feels bad, so absent all laws or religion I'm STILL more likely to act "moral" for the purpose of personal gain.

#63 Posted by playmynutz (6810 posts) -

Atheism is an art form. There is nothing scientific about it.

#64 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@purplelabel said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@_Judas_ said:

Nobody discriminates against atheist because their skin isn't a different color. Ever see anybody wearing a sign around their neck that says atheist?

omg, you missed the point, atheists are the most discrimanted group in america, don't you get that?

#65 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@purplelabel said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

omg, you missed the point, atheists are the most discrimanted group in america, don't you get that?

how are they "discrimanted" against in america?

Avatar image for BabyPulpFiction
#66 Posted by BabyPulpFiction (174 posts) -

I once saw a Christian kick a puppy.....

juuuuuust sayiinnnnnnnnnnnn.

#67 Posted by PurpleLabel (314 posts) -

@the_last_ride. You can't just make shit up. How can you discriminate someone you don't even know exists?

#68 Posted by lightleggy (16090 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

@lightleggy said:

@MrGeezer said:

@lightleggy said:

Yeah, and most cultures don't see rape and murder as something positive, so they say "don't do those things."

Murder and rape are EXAMPLES of things that are "immoral". The point being that morality can be guided by secular (rather than religious incentives). But it generally tends to be based on incentives, the question of "what do I get out of it?" Arbitrarily saying that "the expectation of an afterlife"is the standard makes no sense. I'm an atheist, and I act "moral" for all sorts of secular reasons that directly tie into me "getting something out of it." Being hated and ostracized feels bad, so absent all laws or religion I'm STILL more likely to act "moral" for the purpose of personal gain.

You're not getting my point. You can't compare getting drunk to raping a child. People don't have a "rape urge" switch that is only held back by laws. Most people simply don't experience any need to rape anyone because there is no reason to do it. While in other, more mundane things, they may in fact experience a desire to do it, like when someone feels the need to go get a drink. And anyone can do that, both religious or atheist. But the premise is simply that an atheist is more likely to do those "slightly ammoral" things because he feels there will be no repercussion against it.

#69 Posted by alim298 (2709 posts) -

Why is this dumb video getting so much attention???

people arguing over whether or not they should tolerate someone who they have no "authority" over.

Get lost kids.

#70 Edited by Serraph105 (29840 posts) -

So I have watched both videos before responding to this although I wish either one would have confirmed which video he was originally responded to surely he wasn't being such a dick over her ice bucket charity challenge (right?). She would have been better off not responding to the guy with a video, especially considering that she threw a lot of things at him that he did not claim and really spent most of the time making generalizations about christians.

As for the dude's video I say this as a religious person, doing deeds that help other people regardless of whether it was for God or not is better than doing deeds for God that help no one or perhaps only yourself.

Tc the reason people assume that you can't have morals without faith and/or religion is likely because they never stopped to consider what they are really saying. Or in this guys case it's simply because they have come to the wrong conclusion. I don't know if this is because they need to feel superior to atheists or they simply don't have atheists as friends in their personal lives (or possibly a myriad of other reasons), but more soul searching needs to be done if they truly believe religion equals morality.

#71 Posted by MrGeezer (58247 posts) -

@lightleggy said:

You're not getting my point. You can't compare getting drunk to raping a child. People don't have a "rape urge" switch that is only held back by laws. Most people simply don't experience any need to rape anyone because there is no reason to do it. While in other, more mundane things, they may in fact experience a desire to do it, like when someone feels the need to go get a drink. And anyone can do that, both religious or atheist. But the premise is simply that an atheist is more likely to do those "slightly ammoral" things because he feels there will be no repercussion against it.

Some people absolutely have the urge to rape, steal, or kill. Others have the urge to go get a drink. Yes, some things are more immoral than others. And yes, someone who wants to do x (whatever x may be) is more likely to do x if he believes that the benefits outweigh the consequences. None of that even remotely contradicts anything that I've said.

#72 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@purplelabel said:

@the_last_ride. You can't just make shit up. How can you discriminate someone you don't even know exists?

What?! Atheists exist...

#73 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@purplelabel said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

it was a study that uncovered it. There are still laws prohibiting atheists taking office in a few states aswell

#74 Edited by bforrester420 (3194 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@purplelabel said:

What?! Atheists exist...

I think what he means is that as an atheist, you can't be discriminated against when it's impossible to know that you're an atheist unless you've advertised that fact. It isn't like being discriminated against due to your ethnicity, which you cannot "hide".

#75 Edited by chaoscougar1 (37576 posts) -

Damn she fine

Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
#76 Posted by -TheSecondSign- (9277 posts) -

I don't know I don't believe in God and I think I'm a stand up guy.

#77 Posted by bforrester420 (3194 posts) -

@chaoscougar1 said:

Damn she fine

+1

#78 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@lostrib said:

it was a study that uncovered it. There are still laws prohibiting atheists taking office in a few states aswell

sources please?

#79 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@lostrib said:

sources please?

Arkansas,Article 19, Section 1:

No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court.

Maryland, Article 37:

That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God; nor shall the Legislature prescribe any other oath of office than the oath prescribed by this Constitution.

Mississippi, Article 14, Section 265:

No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state.

North Carolina, Article 6, Section 8

The following persons shall be disqualified for office: Any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God.

South Carolina, Article 17, Section 4:

No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution.

Tennessee, Article 9, Section 2:

No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state.

Texas, Article 1, Section 4:

No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.

Link

still doubt me?

#80 Edited by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@bforrester420 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@purplelabel said:

What?! Atheists exist...

I think what he means is that as an atheist, you can't be discriminated against when it's impossible to know that you're an atheist unless you've advertised that fact. It isn't like being discriminated against due to your ethnicity, which you cannot "hide".

Then why does the research for that say otherwise?

#81 Edited by bforrester420 (3194 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@bforrester420 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@purplelabel said:

What?! Atheists exist...

Then why does the research for that say otherwise?

I'm not sure what you mean. You can't tell whether someone is an atheist unless they tell you they're an atheist. I don't discount that atheists are discriminated against, only that there is no way to know that someone is an atheist unless they advertise themselves as being an atheist.

#82 Posted by hippiesanta (10238 posts) -

Atheist dont have moral ... only when they start behaving like ISIS .... attacking and harrasing other's believes..... and saying they are better than others ... just like isis...

other than that ... they do have moral . .

#83 Posted by PurpleLabel (314 posts) -

@bforrester420 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@purplelabel said:

What?! Atheists exist...

ding ding, we have a winner, and because of this fact, this thread is stupid.

#84 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

@lostrib said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@lostrib said:

sources please?

Arkansas,Article 19, Section 1:

No person who denies the being of a God shall hold any office in the civil departments of this State, nor be competent to testify as a witness in any Court.

Maryland, Article 37:

That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God; nor shall the Legislature prescribe any other oath of office than the oath prescribed by this Constitution.

Mississippi, Article 14, Section 265:

No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office in this state.

North Carolina, Article 6, Section 8

The following persons shall be disqualified for office: Any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God.

South Carolina, Article 17, Section 4:

No person who denies the existence of a Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution.

Tennessee, Article 9, Section 2:

No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state.

Texas, Article 1, Section 4:

No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.

Link

still doubt me?

I'm still asking for a source on this study you keep talking about

And you realize it's only discrimination if those laws are actually implemented. They may be on the books, but if they were ever used they would be found unconstitutional. They were most likely passed a long time ago and no one has bothered to change or challenge them. I'd imagine most people don't even know they exist

The US supreme court has upheld that there can be no religious tests. "We repeat and again reaffirm that neither a State nor the Federal Government can constitutionally force a person "to profess a belief or disbelief in any religion."

So once again, where is the actual discrimination?

#85 Posted by comp_atkins (33184 posts) -

religion: providing humans with dumb shit to get in fights over since the beginning

#86 Edited by sSubZerOo (46197 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

@sSubZerOo said:

Sigh.. I am specifically talking about in REGARDS OF MORALS for what the TC said.. What I did not quote was what Marty suggested before this, that society would be in shambles if we didn't have religion guiding our way.. I am pointing out this bankrupt argument that religion some how creates the morals we follow by.. Furthermore legality<>morality.. You clearly have never seen the show..

You didn't post the show. You posted a quote and then claimed that that quote summed up your thoughts, despite the quote being applicable to hardly anyone. Maybe it made sense within the context of the show, I don't know. But on its own, it's a stupid quote so you shouldn't have used it.

Applicable SPECIFICALLY for the topic of MORALS which we are discussing IN THIS topic... Reading comprehension ftw! HENCE why I said "my feelings on the matter" RIGHT before I stated the quote.. But you have your head up your ass sir, so why am I shocked by this?

#87 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@lostrib: @purplelabel: how do you guys explain this then?

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Atheists are just as much disliked as rapists

#88 Posted by GreySeal9 (27857 posts) -

@purplelabel said:

It's a scientific religious fact that only christians have morals. Morals is latin for Christian value. Atheists can find their own path to glory.

This is parody, right?

#89 Posted by PurpleLabel (314 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

If I had wheels I'd be a wagon.

#90 Posted by lostrib (49999 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

You do realize that two of those are the same source?

And that last study finds that while atheists may not be trustred, the group was more disgusted by homosexuals.

oh and that study on atheists vs rapists, that was done on Canadian students. And they weren't given the choice of an atheist or a rapist.

Plenty of people are disliked in society, I asked about examples of discrimination

And while atheists are viewed coldly by religious people, they are viewed more warmly by the religiously unaffiliated, which continues to grow in the United States. In the reverse, atheists view christians very coldly

#91 Posted by MrGeezer (58247 posts) -

@sSubZerOo said:

@MrGeezer said:

@sSubZerOo said:

Sigh.. I am specifically talking about in REGARDS OF MORALS for what the TC said.. What I did not quote was what Marty suggested before this, that society would be in shambles if we didn't have religion guiding our way.. I am pointing out this bankrupt argument that religion some how creates the morals we follow by.. Furthermore legality<>morality.. You clearly have never seen the show..

You didn't post the show. You posted a quote and then claimed that that quote summed up your thoughts, despite the quote being applicable to hardly anyone. Maybe it made sense within the context of the show, I don't know. But on its own, it's a stupid quote so you shouldn't have used it.

Applicable SPECIFICALLY for the topic of MORALS which we are discussing IN THIS topic... Reading comprehension ftw! HENCE why I said "my feelings on the matter" RIGHT before I stated the quote.. But you have your head up your ass sir, so why am I shocked by this?

Yes, that's what I said. You said that the quote summed up your feelings on the matter, and I said that the quote is stupid.

#92 Posted by GrayF0X786 (4178 posts) -

lol that girl got into a debate with a Muslim called Lebo2196 (check out the videos on her page and his responses)

she failed to make a reply to his latest response which absolutely destroyed her, don't know why people take her seriously now.

#93 Edited by yummifullz (119 posts) -

There are tons of moral atheists, Good Minus God: The Moral Atheist. I would say that satanists (not devil-worshippers) do not uphold certain morals. They are a very hedonistic bunch, and while they do not support cruelty, violence, or crime, they certainly are not for behaving very purely either.

@GrayF0X786:

Lol, going to check his latest response.

#95 Posted by toast_burner (23593 posts) -

@GrayF0X786 said:

lol that girl got into a debate with a Muslim called Lebo2196 (check out the videos on her page and his responses)

she failed to make a reply to his latest response which absolutely destroyed her, don't know why people take her seriously now.

How did he destroy her? The guy is an idiot. He resorted to the "atheists don't have objective morals therefore you can't criticise something for being wrong" argument.

#96 Edited by yummifullz (119 posts) -

@toast_burner: I just watched the videos. They both have their faults. Not sure why I even wasted my time on this, lol.

#97 Posted by MlauTheDaft (5187 posts) -

@lostrib said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@purplelabel said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Was'nt there a recent survey, which determined that Atheists are the people Americans want the least in their families? It kinda makes sense too actually...

Someone of a different religeous persuasion merely disagrees with you, while an Atheist sort of thinks you're a little crazy.

#98 Posted by MlauTheDaft (5187 posts) -
@yummifullz said:

There are tons of moral atheists, Good Minus God: The Moral Atheist. I would say that satanists (not devil-worshippers) do not uphold certain morals. They are a very hedonistic bunch, and while they do not support cruelty, violence, or crime, they certainly are not for behaving very purely either.

@GrayF0X786:

Lol, going to check his latest response.

What does that mean? So they're not actually hurting anyone but they're still somehow.... Lesser?

@lostrib said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

@purplelabel said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Was'nt there a recent survey, which determined that Atheists are the people Americans want the least in their families? It kinda makes sense too actually...

Someone of a different religeous persuasion merely disagrees with you, while an Atheist sort of thinks you're a little crazy.

#99 Edited by sSubZerOo (46197 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

@sSubZerOo said:

@MrGeezer said:

@sSubZerOo said:

Yes, that's what I said. You said that the quote summed up your feelings on the matter, and I said that the quote is stupid.

...................... Well MrGeezer until you understand the ideas of CONTEXT I am going to stop and just say you have no idea what your talking about. Even when I flat out explained the entirety of it within context in a topic talking about moral ideals with atheism/theism...

#100 Posted by The_Last_Ride (76371 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft: yeah there was