Atheist questionnaire

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#301 Posted by MannyDelgado (1250 posts) -
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="MannyDelgado"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Well, that was my point all along. I believe something made the formula to work like that every time. If it was all random, it wouldn't work so precise each time. That's my opinion anyway.

The felipeinside algorithm: 1) Know f*ck all about something 2) Pull stuff out of arse about it 3) When people who actually have a clue explain how things really are, say I BELIEVE THAT GOD MADE THINGS THAT WAY 4) Goto 1

The MannyDelgado algorithm: 1) Never contribute anything to any topic like other respected posters do 2) Insult someone with a different opinion 3) Goto 1

Yeah that is pretty accurate Of course, the funny thing is that you think that you somehow deserve to be taken seriously
#302 Posted by FelipeInside (25174 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="MannyDelgado"]The felipeinside algorithm: 1) Know f*ck all about something 2) Pull stuff out of arse about it 3) When people who actually have a clue explain how things really are, say I BELIEVE THAT GOD MADE THINGS THAT WAY 4) Goto 1MannyDelgado
The MannyDelgado algorithm: 1) Never contribute anything to any topic like other respected posters do 2) Insult someone with a different opinion 3) Goto 1

Yeah that is pretty accurate Of course, the funny thing is that you think that you somehow deserve to be taken seriously

I deserve to have my point of view respected like I respect everyone's elses, except yours since all u do on these forums is troll.

You confirmed ur algorithm youself. You have so little knowledge of everything, that you feel left out on conversations that go over your head, so the only thing left for you is to insult people and not contribute anything. Shame really, if you put that much effort into research and reading, u might one day be able to contribute.

#303 Posted by MannyDelgado (1250 posts) -

I deserve to have my point of view respected like I respect everyone's elses, except yours since all u do on these forums is troll.

FelipeInside

No, you don't. I don't owe you respect, and neither does anyone else.

You confirmed ur algorithm youself. You have so little knowledge of everything, that you feel left out on conversations that go over your head, so the only thing left for you is to insult people and not contribute anything. Shame really, if you put that much effort into research and reading, u might one day be able to contribute.

FelipeInside

I'm doing a physics degree, you f*cking dumbass - I can assure you I'm well-equipped to deal with your infantile attempts at discussing cosmology. I choose not to, however, because you're an idiot and not worth my time or anyone else's.

#304 Posted by Blood-Scribe (6465 posts) -

1. Do you think the Ark of the Covenant ever existed, regardless of whether or not it had powers?

brucewayne69

I'm not very well versed on the historicity of the Bible, so I can't comment on this.

2. Do you think Jesus ever existed?

brucewayne69

Again, I don't know much about the historicity of the Bible, but my understanding is that most scholars on the subject agree that Jesus at least existed.

3. Do you think a Moses ever existed? I mean, the exodus happened, but whether or not they were led by Moses is up for date.

brucewayne69

I don't know about Moses, but as far as I know there isn't any archaeological evidence that the exodus ever happened.

4. Do you look down on theists?

brucewayne69

It really depends on who we're talking about. I don't have a stance towards theists in general. I've seen plenty of theists who are well-versed with their own religious tenets and can defend their reasons for their adherence. And I've seen just as many that can't defend their views worth a damn and spout sh!t that you'd expect from the likes of Ray Comfort.

To me, whether or not I look down on a theist isn't necessarily about the belief in God itself. It's about the reasons for holding such a belief.

5. Do you disagree with organized religion?

brucewayne69

Yes, I have a lot of problems with religion as an institution. My state's board of education is a good example of why I think religion doesn't belong in public policy and should be an entirely private matter.

6. Have you ever voted Republican?

brucewayne69

Nope.

7. Did "Noah's Flood" ever happen? Global, regional, local scale whatever.

brucewayne69

Global? Hell no. There isn't a shred of evidence that a flood on that scale ever happened, and considering how many unique species there are on this planet (and the fact that two of each species would not allow for sufficient genetic diversity), a literal interpretation of Noah's Flood is laughable. Local? Sure, it happens all the time.

8. Would you became a Christian in the event of the second coming of Jesus? Or Jewish if a new messiah (proven) would come?

brucewayne69

Not like I'd have much of a choice if such a thing were to happen.

9. Anything you would like to add.

brucewayne69

I'm really hungry right now.

#305 Posted by FelipeInside (25174 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

MannyDelgado

No, you don't. I don't owe you respect, and neither does anyone else.

FelipeInside

I'm doing a physics degree, you f*cking dumbass - I can assure you I'm well-equipped to deal with your infantile attempts at discussing cosmology. I choose not to, however, because you're an idiot and not worth my time or anyone else's.

Ur doing a degree and can't resort to anything but insults like "f*cking dumbas" and "idiot", while I have maintained my posture and not insulted anyone even if they have different opinions than me. Guess what, a degree doesn't make you intelligent on these boards. Just throwing out insults to people with different opinions makes you looks like a 12 year old with an IQ of 15. Degree or no Degree, show some intelligence and people might start taking you seriously. I'm done with you. My time is better wasted with respectful posters like Wisboi and RationalAtheists who take the time to explain their point of view, instead of insulting mine.
#306 Posted by MannyDelgado (1250 posts) -

Ur doing a degree and can't resort to anything but insults like "f*cking dumbas" and "idiot", while I have maintained my posture and not insulted anyone even if they have different opinions than me. Guess what, a degree doesn't make you intelligent on these boards. Just throwing out insults to people with different opinions makes you looks like a 12 year old with an IQ of 15. Degree or no Degree, show some intelligence and people might start taking you seriously. I'm done with you. My time is better wasted with respectful posters like Wisboi and RationalAtheists who take the time to explain their point of view, instead of insulting mine.FelipeInside
With all due respect - i.e. none - I think I can get along just fine irrespective of how seriously you take me

edit: although while I'm at it, the point was not 'I'm doing a physics degree and therefore smart' (there are plenty of idiots doing physics degrees); the point was 'I'm doing a physics degree and therefore have fairly extensive knowledge of the area which you implied I was too ignorant to discuss'

#307 Posted by RationalAtheist (4424 posts) -

My God... I said, do you think that the arc existed? Regardless of powers or what not. Obviously, atheists wouldn't believe it has the power of God. It was quite obvious that I asked if you thought that there was ever a physical arc of the covenant. That is all. Come on man, you're smarter than that.brucewayne69

If you think it so obvious as to what atheists think, why post such a questionnaire? Why would it matter if the ark of the covenant existed if it didn't have any power? Wouldn't it just be another box then?You chose to qualify that question with an association with some power it might have, that you then later intimated might not be a divine power.

You blow hot and cold, in one post calling me an idiot that is incapable of comprehension than in another saying I'm, smarter than that and telling me what I should believe as an atheist. This is obviously some huge issue for you to get so heated about;hence my prodding.

#308 Posted by Ace6301 (21388 posts) -
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Ur doing a degree and can't resort to anything but insults like "f*cking dumbas" and "idiot", while I have maintained my posture and not insulted anyone even if they have different opinions than me. Guess what, a degree doesn't make you intelligent on these boards. Just throwing out insults to people with different opinions makes you looks like a 12 year old with an IQ of 15. Degree or no Degree, show some intelligence and people might start taking you seriously. I'm done with you. My time is better wasted with respectful posters like Wisboi and RationalAtheists who take the time to explain their point of view, instead of insulting mine.

If you think throwing out insults to people with different opinions makes you look like an idiot then stop doing it as well. Respect is earned, you don't deserve it if all you're going to do is throw out opinions and call them BS while demanding respect for your own unsubstantiated ideas. Also you have insulted others. You've claimed other users can't read, called their statements (factual, substantiated, scientific statements) BS because it was above your head. You also were talking down to other users because you believed that your "open mindedness" (what a joke) was superior to them being "closed minded" all while throwing opposing ideas away. Please, grow up
#309 Posted by brucewayne69 (2859 posts) -

[QUOTE="brucewayne69"]

My God... I said, do you think that the arc existed? Regardless of powers or what not. Obviously, atheists wouldn't believe it has the power of God. It was quite obvious that I asked if you thought that there was ever a physical arc of the covenant. That is all. Come on man, you're smarter than that.RationalAtheist

If you think it so obvious as to what atheists think, why post such a questionnaire? Why would it matter if the ark of the covenant existed if it didn't have any power? Wouldn't it just be another box then?You chose to qualify that question with an association with some power it might have, that you then later intimated might not be a divine power.

You blow hot and cold, in one post calling me an idiot that is incapable of comprehension than in another saying I'm, smarter than that and telling me what I should believe as an atheist. This is obviously some huge issue for you to get so heated about;hence my prodding.

I'm losing patience. Why would I post a questionnaire? To find out what people think. And yes, I wanted to know if they thought that there was a fvcking box that they (the Israelites) deemed sacred. REGARDLESS OF IT'S POWERS. I said, disregard whether or not you think it has powers. I'm interested in knowing if they thought it ever even existed. For God's sakes man, I'm not sure why you are finding it so difficult.
#310 Posted by RationalAtheist (4424 posts) -

I'm losing patience. Why would I post a questionnaire? To find out what people think. And yes, I wanted to know if they thought that there was a fvcking box that they (the Israelites) deemed sacred. REGARDLESS OF IT'S POWERS. I said, disregard whether or not you think it has powers. I'm interested in knowing if they thought it ever even existed. For God's sakes man, I'm not sure why you are finding it so difficult.

brucewayne69

I'm not finding this difficult at all. MY ALL CAPS LOCK WORKS TOO. I'm not too bothered that you consitantly refuse to answer my direct questions and choose evasion, anger and frustration instead - I'm amused by it. You've been telling me what I should think, what I do think and what atheists think but are still interested in what they do think...

Why would an atheist be concerned with a box that Isrealites deemed sacred anyway? Would you, for example, think that Steven Hawking has avocado coloured bathroom furniture? REGARDLESS OF IF IT WAS CONCEALED OR FREE-STANDING - yes or no?

#311 Posted by brucewayne69 (2859 posts) -

[QUOTE="brucewayne69"]

RationalAtheist

I'm not finding this difficult at all. MY ALL CAPS LOCK WORKS TOO. I'm not too bothered that you consitantly refuse to answer my direct questions and choose evasion, anger and frustration instead - I'm amused by it. You've been telling me what I should think, what I do think and what atheists think but are still interested in what they do think...

Why would an atheist be concerned with a box that Isrealites deemed sacred anyway? Would you, for example, think that Steven Hawking has avocado coloured bathroom furniture? REGARDLESS OF IF IT WAS CONCEALED OR FREE-STANDING - yes or no?

I don't care why they would be concerned. I just want to know what their thoughts are on the subject. I don't care why, I just want to know what some people's opinions are. No ulterior motive, nothing sinister. Just questions lingering on my mind of what a non-religious person thinks about certain subjects. Obviously I'm not asking if Jesus is divine, if the arc is powerful, if Moses parted the Red Sea, because an Atheist wouldn't believe that. And to answer your question about Hawking, no.
#312 Posted by FelipeInside (25174 posts) -
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Ur doing a degree and can't resort to anything but insults like "f*cking dumbas" and "idiot", while I have maintained my posture and not insulted anyone even if they have different opinions than me. Guess what, a degree doesn't make you intelligent on these boards. Just throwing out insults to people with different opinions makes you looks like a 12 year old with an IQ of 15. Degree or no Degree, show some intelligence and people might start taking you seriously. I'm done with you. My time is better wasted with respectful posters like Wisboi and RationalAtheists who take the time to explain their point of view, instead of insulting mine.

If you think throwing out insults to people with different opinions makes you look like an idiot then stop doing it as well. Respect is earned, you don't deserve it if all you're going to do is throw out opinions and call them BS while demanding respect for your own unsubstantiated ideas. Also you have insulted others. You've claimed other users can't read, called their statements (factual, substantiated, scientific statements) BS because it was above your head. You also were talking down to other users because you believed that your "open mindedness" (what a joke) was superior to them being "closed minded" all while throwing opposing ideas away. Please, grow up

Please show me where. The times I said people can't read, like yourself, is when you made stuff up and then put it in my mouth. Or you read something and then said I said something else. Those aren't insults, I was just correcting you since if I say something, at least have the courtesy to respond to what I actually said, not made up things. Open Minded and Close Minded isn't an insult either, I was just trying to get some people to think things outside of science, nothing wrong with that. I understand it's hard for them like it's hard for me to accept there is no Creator, but it was worth a shot. All I originally wanted was a personal (KEYWORD: personal) theory on Aliens that science has yet to explain. Some people responded well and it was an interesting read, you and Manny Delgado resorted to insults and defensive stances. That's fine, I know what posters to read from now on. Wisboi and RationalAtheists responded fine, MannyDelgado and Ace, pure childish insults. And you tell ME to grow up, lol....
#313 Posted by kingkong0124 (8710 posts) -

[QUOTE="MannyDelgado"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] The MannyDelgado algorithm: 1) Never contribute anything to any topic like other respected posters do 2) Insult someone with a different opinion 3) Goto 1 FelipeInside

Manny gets beat up and made fun of by "religious" kids in his town, unfortunately. To vent, he logs on Gamespot and harasses theists. It's a deadly cycle. Just ignore him bro.

#314 Posted by SUD123456 (4401 posts) -

No or the equivalent to the questions, although :lol::lol::lol: will also suffice.

And LOL @ many of the questions especially 1,2,3 and 7.

Either the events, things and people are substantially the same as depicted by the Christian cult or they aren't. If it is the latter, which by definition any atheist thinks, then Jesus is no more remarkable than the average ranting drunk in a park asking you for money. And the ark is the equivalent of the brown paperbag. And the flood/Noah is the equivalent of the drunk accidentally pissing himself.

And question 8 is especially stupid since it postulates that a god is proven to exist which obviously necessitates the responder to believe in said god, otherwise it would not be proven (of course that might not apply to insane or delusional people).

#315 Posted by Ace6301 (21388 posts) -
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]Please show me where. The times I said people can't read, like yourself, is when you made stuff up and then put it in my mouth. Or you read something and then said I said something else. Those aren't insults, I was just correcting you since if I say something, at least have the courtesy to respond to what I actually said, not made up things. Open Minded and Close Minded isn't an insult either, I was just trying to get some people to think things outside of science, nothing wrong with that. I understand it's hard for them like it's hard for me to accept there is no Creator, but it was worth a shot. All I originally wanted was a personal (KEYWORD: personal) theory on Aliens that science has yet to explain. Some people responded well and it was an interesting read, you and Manny Delgado resorted to insults and defensive stances. That's fine, I know what posters to read from now on. Wisboi and RationalAtheists responded fine, MannyDelgado and Ace, pure childish insults. And you tell ME to grow up, lol....

what ur saying here is total BS. U have to learn to read properlyFelipeInside
Yeah those are both insults. The second one was actually said to me before I insulted you, so you actually were the first one to start insulting me. And yes telling someone they can't read properly is quite insulting, reading comprehension is an extremely basic faculty. I haven't misread or changed anything you've said. Somehow you've managed to misrepresent yourself several times however as well as those you argue against, presumably because you just discount what they're saying as "total BS". You deserve absolutely no respect the way you behave, especially while acting under the guise of an open minded individual which you are quite far removed from. I didn't actually insult you until after you called my post "total BS" while also saying I couldn't read on top of not being mindful of my own ideas. You fully deserved everything you got.
#316 Posted by FelipeInside (25174 posts) -

^^ Would you like a sorry Ace? Is that why you have been babbling about for the past 4 pages instead of saying something worthwhile reading?

Sorry you took those as insults, really. Do you feel better now? I hope you do, here's a cookie for you:

http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~cema/courses/FIT3084/images/lect20/cookieMonster.jpg

Hopefully one day when someone twists what you say, makes things up and puts them into your mouth like you said them....I really hope you don't feel like that other person didn't read your posts correctly.

#317 Posted by Ace6301 (21388 posts) -

^^ Would you like a sorry Ace? Is that why you have been babbling about for the past 4 pages instead of saying something worthwhile reading?

Sorry you took those as insults, really. Do you feel better now? I hope you do, here's a cookie for you:

Hopefully one day when someone twists what you say, makes things up and puts them into your mouth like you said them....I really hope you don't feel like that other person didn't read your posts correctly.

FelipeInside
And you call other users childish? Tell me though, what did I misrepresent of you?
#319 Posted by MannyDelgado (1250 posts) -

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="MannyDelgado"]Yeah that is pretty accurate Of course, the funny thing is that you think that you somehow deserve to be taken seriouslykingkong0124

Manny gets beat up and made fun of by "religious" kids in his town, unfortunately. To vent, he logs on Gamespot and harasses theists. It's a deadly cycle. Just ignore him bro.

>implying I even know any religious people

#320 Posted by MrPraline (21284 posts) -
Manny gets beat up and made fun of by "religious" kids in his town, unfortunately.kingkong0124
Trust me, he doesn't.
#321 Posted by FelipeInside (25174 posts) -
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

Ace6301
And you call other users childish? Tell me though, what did I misrepresent of you?

Mate, you really are a lost cause (don't take that as an insult either). I even said sorry and you still insult me. I'm done with you too, ur borderline becoming like MannyDelgado here.
#322 Posted by MrPraline (21284 posts) -
ur borderline becoming like MannyDelgado here.FelipeInside
lol Manny what did you do to these people?
#323 Posted by Ace6301 (21388 posts) -
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I'm done with you too, ur borderline becoming like MannyDelgado here.

I'll take that as a compliment coming from you. Also glad you couldn't fine anything of me putting words in your mouth.
#324 Posted by MannyDelgado (1250 posts) -
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]ur borderline becoming like MannyDelgado here.MrPraline
lol Manny what did you do to these people?

Still not entirely sure, but it seems to have worked
#325 Posted by meconate (10476 posts) -
1. Do you think the Ark of the Covenant ever existed, regardless of whether or not it had powers? Lol, no. 2. Do you think Jesus ever existed? Yes, just not how the bible says he is. 3. Do you think a Moses ever existed? No, lol. 4. Do you look down on theists? No. 5. Do you disagree with organized religion? Yeah. 6. Have you ever voted Republican? N/A 7. Did "Noah's Flood" ever happen? His washing machine broke. 8. Would you became a Christian in the event of the second coming of Jesus? I knew of one guy named Jesus, he was cool 9. Anything you would like to add? Cheese.
#326 Posted by DeathnoteSz (643 posts) -

This isn't intended to start an arguement between theists and atheists. I just want to know, from atheists, what their thoughts are on certain things.

1. Do you think the Ark of the Covenant ever existed, regardless of whether or not it had powers?

3. Do you think a Moses ever existed? I mean, the exodus happened, but whether or not they were led by Moses is up for date.

8. Would you became a Christian in the event of the second coming of Jesus? Or Jewish if a new messiah (proven) would come?

brucewayne69
1. of course not 2. I dont think he did 3. idk 4. No 5. nope I believe people should believe in whatever they want to believe in and not negatively judge others for their beliefs 6. hell no lol 7. Nope 8. nope like biggie said "it dont make sense going to heaven with the goodie goodies dressed in white, i like black tim's and black hoodies" 9. Religious people are way!!! too judgemental of atheist
#327 Posted by mrbojangles25 (31985 posts) -

This isn't intended to start an arguement between theists and atheists. I just want to know, from atheists, what their thoughts are on certain things.

brucewayne69

1. sure, lots of things get written into stone

2. yup

3. sure

4. no

5. yes, on a large scale. local religion, like local government, is generally a good thing. Religion on a massive scale is too general and, in an effort to not offend anyone, errs on the side of conservativism.

6. no reason to

7. no, not in the biblical sense. Though I am sure large-scale flooding, as occurs today, occured back then and it seemed like the world was covered

8. i am not ignorant, I wont tell anyone they dont exist when theyre standing in front of me. As for becoming a Christian, I dont know...that'd be like joining a fan club at that point.

9. What is this for? Homework?

#328 Posted by brucewayne69 (2859 posts) -

[QUOTE="brucewayne69"]

mrbojangles25

1. sure, lots of things get written into stone

2. yup

3. sure

4. no

5. yes, on a large scale. local religion, like local government, is generally a good thing. Religion on a massive scale is too general and, in an effort to not offend anyone, errs on the side of conservativism.

6. no reason to

7. no, not in the biblical sense. Though I am sure large-scale flooding, as occurs today, occured back then and it seemed like the world was covered

8. i am not ignorant, I wont tell anyone they dont exist when theyre standing in front of me. As for becoming a Christian, I dont know...that'd be like joining a fan club at that point.

9. What is this for? Homework?

Mere curiosity.
#329 Posted by wis3boi (31016 posts) -

[QUOTE="RationalAtheist"]

[QUOTE="brucewayne69"]

I did it simply because I felt compelled to. It's not as big a deal as you think it is. I have no ulterior motive. Buddy. I asked if you think there was an ark of the covenant. Powers regardless. I did not ask if it contained God's power. I asked if the physical arc ever existed. Your reading comprehension skills seem to be lacking. And I like to think for myself too. If you are implying that I don't, you are an idiot.

brucewayne69

I don't think it's a big deal, buddy. What sort of powers were you referring to if not divine ones? You inferred that the ark might have "powers".

My reading comprehension skills are good enough to examine your words, so please don't demean me unless you can justify it.

I think you're reading too much into my comments: I only said "I think for myself" in response to your fallacious argument from the majority in saying that "no-one else has this issue".

Is there really a need to be so insulting anyway? Consider that I have already apologised if you didn't like my own questioning...

My God... I said, do you think that the arc existed? Regardless of powers or what not. Obviously, atheists wouldn't believe it has the power of God. It was quite obvious that I asked if you thought that there was ever a physical arc of the covenant. That is all. Come on man, you're smarter than that.

he seems to enjoy building mountains out of molehills lately

#330 Posted by RationalAtheist (4424 posts) -

I don't care why they would be concerned. I just want to know what their thoughts are on the subject. I don't care why, I just want to know what some people's opinions are. No ulterior motive, nothing sinister. Just questions lingering on my mind of what a non-religious person thinks about certain subjects. Obviously I'm not asking if Jesus is divine, if the arc is powerful, if Moses parted the Red Sea, because an Atheist wouldn't believe that. And to answer your question about Hawking, no.

brucewayne69

Wouldn't that be a contradiction? - Wanting to know someone's thoughts on a subject while not caring why they'd be concerned? - Knowing about peoples' opinions without caring why they have them? It seems to me that justification for belief is more important than the beliefs themselves.

Q8 did ask about a divine Jesus. Q1 suggested the ark might have power. Q3 made the statement that the "exodus" really did happen in loading that question. There you go again making statements about what atheists wouldn't believe despite posting this questionnaire to "find out".

#331 Posted by RationalAtheist (4424 posts) -

wis3boi

[citation needed]

#332 Posted by wis3boi (31016 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

RationalAtheist

[citation needed]

he asked a simple yes or no question, you went off on something completely irrelevant to the topic

#333 Posted by RationalAtheist (4424 posts) -

he asked a simple yes or no question, you went off on something completely irrelevant to the topic

wis3boi

Still angry? My advice would be not to carry it around the forums, old chap.

#334 Posted by wis3boi (31016 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

RationalAtheist

Still angry? My advice would be not to carry it around the forums, old chap.

Calling people angry when they aren't (not that you can see it in text to begin with)....classy.

#335 Posted by RationalAtheist (4424 posts) -

Calling people angry when they aren't (not that you can see it in text to begin with)....classy.

wis3boi

Butting in with a "he seems to enjoy building mountains out of molehills lately" statement is even more classy.

#336 Posted by Installing (654 posts) -

nah

perhaps there was such a cult leader

nope

yes (sorry)

yes.

Can't but wouldn't if I could

lol no.

But that won't happen.

no.

#337 Posted by FelipeInside (25174 posts) -
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] I'm done with you too, ur borderline becoming like MannyDelgado here.

I'll take that as a compliment coming from you. Also glad you couldn't fine anything of me putting words in your mouth.

Glad that I was right all along. (the non insultive reading comprehension) I apologized and all you read was the last sentence as a compliment. \Case Proven and Case Closed
#338 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -

[QUOTE="brucewayne69"][QUOTE="RationalAtheist"]

I don't think it's a big deal, buddy. What sort of powers were you referring to if not divine ones? You inferred that the ark might have "powers".

My reading comprehension skills are good enough to examine your words, so please don't demean me unless you can justify it.

I think you're reading too much into my comments: I only said "I think for myself" in response to your fallacious argument from the majority in saying that "no-one else has this issue".

Is there really a need to be so insulting anyway? Consider that I have already apologised if you didn't like my own questioning...

wis3boi

My God... I said, do you think that the arc existed? Regardless of powers or what not. Obviously, atheists wouldn't believe it has the power of God. It was quite obvious that I asked if you thought that there was ever a physical arc of the covenant. That is all. Come on man, you're smarter than that.

:lol: Oh the irony. Like you're one to talk.
#339 Posted by brucewayne69 (2859 posts) -

[QUOTE="brucewayne69"]

RationalAtheist

Wouldn't that be a contradiction? - Wanting to know someone's thoughts on a subject while not caring why they'd be concerned? - Knowing about peoples' opinions without caring why they have them? It seems to me that justification for belief is more important than the beliefs themselves.

Q8 did ask about a divine Jesus. Q1 suggested the ark might have power. Q3 made the statement that the "exodus" really did happen in loading that question. There you go again making statements about what atheists wouldn't believe despite posting this questionnaire to "find out".

I'm not sure if you saw that I conceded to Q8. It was fairly religious. Q1 and Q3 were not religious, and I asked if the mere artifact/man existed, regardless of whether or not they had powers. Get that through your head. I didn't ask if Moses parted the red sea. I asked if a guy name Moses existed. Get that through your head. Good day.
#340 Posted by RationalAtheist (4424 posts) -

I'm not sure if you saw that I conceded to Q8. It was fairly religious. Q1 and Q3 were not religious, and I asked if the mere artifact/man existed, regardless of whether or not they had powers. Get that through your head. I didn't ask if Moses parted the red sea. I asked if a guy name Moses existed. Get that through your head. Good day.brucewayne69

What do you mean conceded to Q8? I already do have those things "gotten through my head". I'm not sure I follow your reasoning there. I have only been trying to establish your motivations behind asking such leading questions. I remain unconvinced by the current explanation that you want to know what people think, but not why they think it, or that your questionanaire for non-religious people wasn't religiously inspired (aside from Q8).

I still think Q2 was religiously motivated since you ask the question about a person who's existance may have inspired the dominant world religion today. Q3 established your own undisputable precedent for the religiously inspired exodus mystery. Q4 and Q5 are obviously religiously motivated questions too while Q7 and Q1 asks for some correlation for biblical doctrine. For instance, given no religious trappings, wouldn't it be "obvious" that many people called Moses and Jesus existed?Good afternoon to you, sir.

#341 Posted by Angie7F (1120 posts) -

No.

Yes. But so did Manson and Asahara Shoko.

Yes. But so did Manson and Asahara Shoko.The bible is an anthology written and editted by many generations of people. It is a huge case of chinese whispers.

No. But they should not look down on Atheists either. The only people I look down a tiny bit are the people who didnt give the god thing a little bit of thought to give a proper statement on how they stand on the whole thing.

No. I think it is necessary for some people. However I think it is an idea full of discrepancies and dilemmas.

No.

Probably. Like the tsunami in Japan and Indonesia.

No. I chose not to believe and if proved wrong, I will go to hell or perish for ever or whatever the hell I have to deal with.

#342 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
1. No 2. Yes 3. Perhaps. 4. Depends. 5. Yes 6. Never 7. Probably, but not like it was mentioned. 8. No. 9. Nope.
#343 Posted by brucewayne69 (2859 posts) -

[QUOTE="brucewayne69"]I'm not sure if you saw that I conceded to Q8. It was fairly religious. Q1 and Q3 were not religious, and I asked if the mere artifact/man existed, regardless of whether or not they had powers. Get that through your head. I didn't ask if Moses parted the red sea. I asked if a guy name Moses existed. Get that through your head. Good day.RationalAtheist

What do you mean conceded to Q8? I already do have those things "gotten through my head". I'm not sure I follow your reasoning there. I have only been trying to establish your motivations behind asking such leading questions. I remain unconvinced by the current explanation that you want to know what people think, but not why they think it, or that your questionanaire for non-religious people wasn't religiously inspired (aside from Q8).

I still think Q2 was religiously motivated since you ask the question about a person who's existance may have inspired the dominant world religion today. Q3 established your own undisputable precedent for the religiously inspired exodus mystery. Q4 and Q5 are obviously religiously motivated questions too while Q7 and Q1 asks for some correlation for biblical doctrine. For instance, given no religious trappings, wouldn't it be "obvious" that many people called Moses and Jesus existed?Good afternoon to you, sir.

I made this questionnaire because I want to know what non religious people think about these things. Did they think that Jesus, the man, ever even existed? That is not the same as asking if the same Jesus was divine. Obviously I am not talking about your average Jesus down at the market. I was talking about the one that the Bible speaks of, and if they thought he ever existed even as a man. Same with Moses. To quote Wisboi, stop making a mountain out of a molehill. I'm not trying to convert anybody, or make them look like bad people. Just asking some questions because I'm bored.
#344 Posted by RationalAtheist (4424 posts) -

I made this questionnaire because I want to know what non religious people think about these things. Did they think that Jesus, the man, ever even existed? That is not the same as asking if the same Jesus was divine. Obviously I am not talking about your average Jesus down at the market. I was talking about the one that the Bible speaks of, and if they thought he ever existed even as a man. Same with Moses. To quote Wisboi, stop making a mountain out of a molehill. I'm not trying to convert anybody, or make them look like bad people. Just asking some questions because I'm bored.

brucewayne69

I can understand the bored justification - that seems like the most honest response you've given so far. I was wondering why you seemed to try saying the questionnaire was not religious though. I was hedging for an answer about creating a "popular" thread myself.

I'm not inferring that you are trying to convert people, or make people look bad at all. That is not my intent or my position. But given that, I guess I now do understand your reluctance to accept that you have raised questions that are religious in nature though.

The case the bible speaks of is a divine case. If one were to believe that Jesus the man existed, then all the miracles, the prophesy and the resurrection would have to be discounted, making Jesus the same as many other messiah figures that existed at that time and liars of many other biblical figures. That in itself would discount the bible as a reliable source. The same goes for Moses.

I was only interested in your reasons for posting closed, seemingly disparate questions about religious doctrine and views on theism and Christianity. After having previous religious discussions with you that were not (in my opinion) confrontational, I thought we could discuss this without the drama that has now transpired.

#345 Posted by brucewayne69 (2859 posts) -

[QUOTE="brucewayne69"]

RationalAtheist

I can understand the bored justification - that seems like the most honest response you've given so far. I was wondering why you seemed to try saying the questionnaire was not religious though. I was hedging for an answer about creating a "popular" thread myself.

I'm not inferring that you are trying to convert people, or make people look bad at all. That is not my intent or my position. But given that, I guess I now do understand your reluctance to accept that you have raised questions that are religious in nature though.

The case the bible speaks of is a divine case. If one were to believe that Jesus the man existed, then all the miracles, the prophesy and the resurrection would have to be discounted, making Jesus the same as many other messiah figures that existed at that time and liars of many other biblical figures. That in itself would discount the bible as a reliable source. The same goes for Moses.

I was only interested in your reasons for posting closed, seemingly disparate questions about religious doctrine and views on theism and Christianity. After having previous religious discussions with you that were not (in my opinion) confrontational, I thought we could discuss this without the drama that has now transpired.

I don't consider this to be to confrontational or heated myself, but I do find myself a bit annoyed that you are nit-picking everything. I would not consider asking if there was ever a man, Jesus, who conjured up a following in the early first century to be a religious question. Sure it deals with religious figures, but I am not asking if he was divine. Clearly, an atheist doesn't believe that Jesus was divine. But this thread shows that some consider him to have been a real person who either:

a. led a cult

b. did good things that were spun out of proportions

c. was a con-man

So either way you cut it, most of the answers were in the affirmative that a man, Jesus, existed. If I asked if he was divine, all of the answers would be in the negative.

Your argument that the Bible is not a reliable source if one denies that Jesus was divine is silly. What of Caiaphas, of whom they recently discovered an ossuary with his name on it and presumed genuine? Would one have to deny the physical evidence that we have of Caiaphas simply because they believe the Bible is false, because it paints a divine Jesus?

#346 Posted by RationalAtheist (4424 posts) -

I don't consider this to be to confrontational or heated myself, but I do find myself a bit annoyed that you are nit-picking everything. I would not consider asking if there was ever a man, Jesus, who conjured up a following in the early first century to be a religious question. Sure it deals with religious figures, but I am not asking if he was divine. Clearly, an atheist doesn't believe that Jesus was divine. But this thread shows that some consider him to have been a real person who either:

a. led a cult

b. did good things that were spun out of proportions

c. was a con-man

So either way you cut it, most of the answers were in the affirmative that a man, Jesus, existed. If I asked if he was divine, all of the answers would be in the negative.

Your argument that the Bible is not a reliable source if one denies that Jesus was divine is silly. What of Caiaphas, of whom they recently discovered an ossuary with his name on it and presumed genuine? Would one have to deny the physical evidence that we have of Caiaphas simply because they believe the Bible is false, because it paints a divine Jesus?

brucewayne69

I don't consider that I am nit-picking and I could feel your annoyance in questioning my comprehension and intelligence, swearing, using all-caps and the like in your responses. Our perceptions of what is religious must differ then, if you think the character behind the major religion is not inherently religious.

I accept that the majority of those asked would consider that Jesus was a real person. Personally, I prefer seeking actual evidence, rather than siding with the majority just because there's more of them. I can understand why people think Jesus was a real person though. I think it is because of the powerful effect of biblical Christianity on Western civilization for the past 2000 years and the implicitvalue of "evidence of absence".

My argument about the bible's credibility is still valid. The book is often cited as a source of proof regarding what's in it. The authenticity of the ossuary is unproven though. I thought it was dated to the century after Jesus' alledged cruxifiction.I guess it's only "proven" genuine by those with a particular interest. I wonder if you'd think Tacitus, Josephus and Pliny's entries about Jesus are genuine too?

#347 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7723 posts) -

I still see one of the core roots of the problem is the lack of understanding concerning the scientific method and definition of "Theory" in the realm of science. I am disappoint.

#348 Posted by brucewayne69 (2859 posts) -
I still still one of the core roots of the problem is the lack of understanding concerning the scientific method and definition of "Theory" in the realm of science. I am disappoint. HoolaHoopMan
Yes, Felipe seems to think that if a theory has to do with science, it's a scientific theory. And RA, to be fair, I did caps because I am quick quoting and couldn't use italics. Don't remember any swearing. Could be wrong. Look, we are not going to agree with the Jesus/Moses thing. About Caiaphas' ossuary, I can't find anything that has a supposed date for it. All I've seen is people say it's true, but not when it was made. Dunno. Josephus- I do not know if Jesus had a brother, nor do I particularly care. Well, it would be a fascinating piece of news, but it wouldn't change my faith one way or the other. If anything, Josephus is non-biblical evidence of Jesus. I consider it genuine, or at least, intended to be. Tacitus-I don't consider this genuine. Plinys- Don't really know. It doesn't matter if it is or isn't genuine.
#349 Posted by Philosopho (81 posts) -
1. Do you think the Ark of the Covenant ever existed, regardless of whether or not it had powers? A physical ark could have potentially existed at some time, sure. I see no reason why not. 2. Do you think Jesus ever existed? Their is no historical extra-biblical evidence to support the idea that the biblical Jesus ever existed, divine or otherwise 3. Do you think a Moses ever existed? I mean, the exodus happened, but whether or not they were led by Moses is up for date. Actually, no evidence whatsoever has ever been found to support the Egyptian captivity or the Exodus, so no, Moses did not exist, and the human race didn't originate from two people and massive inbreeding. 4. Do you look down on theists? I respect a theists right to have his or her own personal religious beliefs, I only fight with them over whether or not they can super impose those beliefs on the rest of us through the law. 5. Do you disagree with organized religion? I disagree with raising children in religion. (it's brainwashing, and the only thing that keeps it alive, if all parents worldwide waited until their children reached the age of reason to introduce the subject of religion to them, religion as a whole would die in a single human generation) I disagree with any institution that discourages critical thinking, and insists that truth comes from words on a page. Truth should always be the result of investigation and analysis. 6. Have you ever voted Republican? My first vote was in 2000. I voted for George W. Bush. I was still a Christian myself at the time, though only because I was afraid of going to hell and still had the simple minded view that was super imposed on me by my parents of the Republicans being the good Christian party, and the Democrats being the evil baby killing party that would enable the coming of the anti-Christ, one world government, taking our guns and bibles, etc. etc. 7. Did "Noah's Flood" ever happen? Global, regional, local scale whatever. Absolutely no evidence whatsoever exists to support the biblical account of a global flood. 8. Would you became a Christian in the event of the second coming of Jesus? Or Jewish if a new messiah (proven) would come? Only if he revealed that the biblical God Yahweh was not really his father. Jesus is a cool enough guy by most accounts, but I would be accepting him to get the "privilege" of spending an eternity in the service and presence of his dad, and if his dad is the biblical God Yahweh, then yeah... no thanks. I choose hell. 9. Anything you would like to add. Please keep your religion out of our laws.
#350 Posted by RationalAtheist (4424 posts) -

And RA, to be fair, I did caps because I am quick quoting and couldn't use italics. Don't remember any swearing. Could be wrong. Look, we are not going to agree with the Jesus/Moses thing. About Caiaphas' ossuary, I can't find anything that has a supposed date for it. All I've seen is people say it's true, but not when it was made. Dunno. Josephus- I do not know if Jesus had a brother, nor do I particularly care. Well, it would be a fascinating piece of news, but it wouldn't change my faith one way or the other. If anything, Josephus is non-biblical evidence of Jesus. I consider it genuine, or at least, intended to be. Tacitus-I don't consider this genuine. Plinys- Don't really know. It doesn't matter if it is or isn't genuine.

brucewayne69

I only bought the swearing up on reviewing our discussion here. I don't mind about it, but only used it to sense where you were coming from. I don't mind about the caps lock either (I jokingly "shouted" back) - I'm not complaining about this, but again only using it as an indicator.

The evidences for a historical Jesus (Tacitus, Josephus and Pliny) are few and justifiably disputed. They, like the ossuary, are at least decades (if not centuries) after Jesus' described downfall (then uplift) and don't stand up well to textual criticism.

Of course we won't agree (due to our differences of belief) and I don't aim to get you to to agree with me. I'd much rather have a debate than to furiously agree about something with people. That seems to be a character flaw of mine that often rubs people up the wrong way if/when they take it personally.