ASU professor assaults police officer after jaywalking.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

“The reason I’m talking to you right now is because you are walking in the middle of the street,” Officer Stewart Ferrin said to ASU professor Dr. Ersula Ore after stopping her near campus. She was crossing College Avenue, just south of Fifth Street.

But in less than a minute, the conversation quickly began to escalate.

While both Ore and Ferrin suffered some minor injuries, Ore was charged with aggravated assault on a police officer in addition to criminal damage and obstructing a thoroughfare. She intends to fight the charges.

Source With Video.

Entitled, self centered people ftl...

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

It goes to show you just how vile and deviant higher education is!

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

LOL I remember I was walking home after school one day and decided to run across a four lane highway divided by a grassy median (so two lanes going one way and two lanes going the other way). On my way across, I remember seeing a cop car waiting at an intersection, and was scared he was gonna nab me, but he either didn't notice me or didn't give a shit.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts
@gamerguru100 said:

LOL I remember I was walking home after school one day and decided to run across a four lane highway divided by a grassy median (so two lanes going one way and two lanes going the other way). On my way across, I remember seeing a cop car waiting at an intersection, and was scared he was gonna nab me, but he either didn't notice me or didn't give a shit.

He didn't accost you because you're White. :-/

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Stesilaus said:
@gamerguru100 said:

considering he posted this: "I don't get white people and their fascination with coffee" in another thread, i wouldn't be so sure about that

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

@lostrib: no that has to be it. It doesn't make sense otherwise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

I don't understand America and it's jay walking laws, surely they've got better things to do. That woman is still a bitch though.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gamerguru100

@lostrib said:

@Stesilaus said:
@gamerguru100 said:

considering he posted this: "I don't get white people and their fascination with coffee" in another thread, i wouldn't be so sure about that

LOL, it may be a stereotype, but it has some truth to to it. Although Stes is probably right, the cop, if he did see me, probably didn't care to stop me because I'm white.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By gamerguru100

LOL, good luck with fighting against charges for assaulting a police officer.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

We get that you failed out of college TC, you can stop hating on it now.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

God she's an idiot. It's illegal to jaywalk which she was doing. If she refuses to show ID and cooperate with police officers then the police are perfectly within their rights to arrest her. If she had shown ID and cooperated I guarantee she probably would have gotten off with a written warning. Idiots always making things worse for themselves.

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts

@ferrari2001: exactly if a police officer stops you even for the stupidest reasons if you cooperate and are friendly most of the time nothing will ever come of it

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

That cop seemed overly aggressive in the moment leading to the physical confrontation. There was no need to patronize that lady.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Is it that hard to follow instructions? This wasn't one of your classrooms, lady.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

@BranKetra said:

That cop seemed overly aggressive in the moment leading to the physical confrontation. There was no need to patronize that lady.

Expected when one doesn't show respect to police. Really smart people seem to lack common sense.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By branketra

@killzowned24 said:

@BranKetra said:

Expected when one doesn't show respect to police. Really smart people seem tend to lack common sense.

In that case, the source of the issue is respect through aggression. For that mentality to be prevalent and expected in modern America, a first world country condemning other nations for ethical maltreatment of civilians, hypocrisy is being proven a serious problem.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

@BranKetra said:

@killzowned24 said:

@BranKetra said:

Expected when one doesn't show respect to police. Really smart people seem tend to lack common sense.

In that case, the source of the issue is respect through aggression. For that mentality to be prevalent and expected in modern America, a first world country condemning other nations for ethical maltreatment of civilians, hypocrisy is being proven a serious problem.

No. Even a child knows to follow simple instructions and be respectful to the police.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@BranKetra said:

@killzowned24 said:

@BranKetra said:

Though the police officer may have handled it a different way, that in no way excuses the ridiculousness of the woman's actions...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@InEMplease said:

@toast_burner said:

I don't understand America and it's jay walking laws, surely they've got better things to do. That woman is still a bitch though.

If a police unit drives by someone walking in the middle of the street, they have the privilege to check things out. You don't ask them who they are, because they can make up any name. You ask for ID. As he informed her, failure to provide ID is grounds for arrest. He arrested her after she failed to provide ID. She fought back. It was all on camera and audio. He was even pretty polite about it. In an alternate reality they would make great sex partners.

I understand that since it's illegal the police can ask for ID, but what I don't understand is why it's illegal. Like I said surely they have something better to do. But that does excuse her actions.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@InEMplease said:

@toast_burner: Why it's illegal to jaywalk? Because that can get you and others killed.

Only if you run out in front of traffic. To just cross the road doesn't.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts
@toast_burner said:

@InEMplease said:

@toast_burner said:

If a police unit drives by someone walking in the middle of the street, they have the privilege to check things out. You don't ask them who they are, because they can make up any name. You ask for ID. As he informed her, failure to provide ID is grounds for arrest. He arrested her after she failed to provide ID. She fought back. It was all on camera and audio. He was even pretty polite about it. In an alternate reality they would make great sex partners.

I understand that since it's illegal the police can ask for ID, but what I don't understand is why it's illegal. Like I said surely they have something better to do. But that does excuse her actions.

They mostly care about it in college towns as there are a lot of students adn they love to walk across the street where they aren't supposed to. This can lead to accidents.

Hope they don't drop any charges. She deserves it all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@InEMplease said:

@toast_burner: Incorrect.

What a well thought out response. You sure showed me.

Lets put it this way. In my country there are no Jay walking laws. The only roads you aren't allowed to cross are motorways. Compared to America and many other countries we have very little deaths from traffic accidents (I think America has about 3 times as many deaths per capita) So clearly there's more to it than road laws.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@thegerg said:

@toast_burner said:

@InEMplease said:

@toast_burner: Why it's illegal to jaywalk? Because that can get you and others killed.

Only if you run out in front of traffic. To just cross the road doesn't.

And it's only possible to hurt or kill people if I run red lights in front of traffic. Should it be lawful for me to run red lights if I think the road is clear?

Are you seriously comparing a person to a car?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@InEMplease said:

@toast_burner: So there you go. We have these laws in place to reduce incidents. Some inattentive driver rolls on by and plows this lady walking in the middle of the street, she's done. A cop pulls her over and takes her to jail, she lives another day.

Do these laws reduce accidents?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@InEMplease said:

@toast_burner said:

@InEMplease said:

@toast_burner: So there you go. We have these laws in place to reduce incidents. Some inattentive driver rolls on by and plows this lady walking in the middle of the street, she's done. A cop pulls her over and takes her to jail, she lives another day.

Do these laws reduce accidents?

Heh, accidents.

Yeah, probably, if you examined the number of accidents caused by jaywalkers over time without and with this law in place.

And how do you know that?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@InEMplease said:

@toast_burner: Never claimed to know. Said "Probably".

And what makes you think it probably helps?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@InEMplease said:

@toast_burner: It's simply keeping people out of danger.

Is it keeping them out of danger? The way I see it is that it's making people not think for themselves. People are being taught to simply do what the signs say which many times can put you in danger. The best way to avoid being hit by a car is to think before you cross. Not to blindly follow the signs.

leif3141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 leif3141
Member since 2010 • 133 Posts

I understand a cop's job is pretty difficult, but too many have acted entirely more belligerent than they need to be in many situations in my life. In this case - a small transgression like jaywalking does not warrant treating someone like they have committed an egregious act. I show them respect at first and a lot give it back, but I've had some hassle me just because they can, whereas anyone else in society would be thrown in jail. Not exactly the values we Americans should be upholding in my opinion of someone in an authority figure.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Master_Live

@toast_burner said:

@InEMplease said:

Compared to America and many other countries we have very little deaths from traffic accidents (I think America has about 3 times as many deaths per capita)

Citation needed.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@Master_Live said:

@toast_burner said:

@InEMplease said:

Compared to America and many other countries we have very little deaths from traffic accidents (I think America has about 3 times as many deaths per capita)

Citation needed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By branketra

@killzowned24: Let us not ignore her mentality because a goal is respect. Respect through fear is not respect, it is just fear.

@sSubZerOo said:

@BranKetra said:

@killzowned24 said:

@BranKetra said:

Though the police officer may have handled it a different way, that in no way excuses the ridiculousness of the woman's actions...

Yes. Most of the users in this thread are simply saying she did something wrong and deserved that treatment, but before that physical confrontation, I do not believe she did.

The next lecture is going to be awkward.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Master_Live

@toast_burner said:

@Master_Live said:

@toast_burner said:

@InEMplease said:

Citation needed.

Wikipedia eh? Well this is OT after all.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

perhaps a refresher is in order

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@Master_Live said:

@toast_burner said:

@Master_Live said:

@toast_burner said:

@InEMplease said:

Citation needed.

They got the numbers from the Department of transport.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Master_Live

@toast_burner said:

@Master_Live said:

@toast_burner said:

@Master_Live said:

@toast_burner said:

@InEMplease said:

Citation needed.

I know, it is always better to link directly from the source(s). But I digress, it seems the US does have over 3x the road fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants per year.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5b19214ec908b

@Master_Live said:

@toast_burner said:

@Master_Live said:

@toast_burner said:

@Master_Live said:

@toast_burner said:

@InEMplease said:

Citation needed.

I know, it is always better to link directly from the source(s). But I digress, it seems the US does have over 3x the road fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants per year.

It is, but this way you get a nice little table that shows you lots of different countries.