Assisted suicide of terminally ill patients - yay or nay?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by gamerguru100 (11074 posts) -

With the consent of the patient, yes. Terminally ill people are often in a lot of pain. I think it's better to euthanize them with their consent rather than leave them living in pain until they succumb to their disease.

#52 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6854 posts) -
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]Without a doubt. There comes a time when helping someone die is a mercy. Quality of life is just as important as quantity of it.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
#53 Posted by googlegirl (3 posts) -
yay obviously
#54 Posted by -Renegade (8340 posts) -
[QUOTE="zenogandia"]I didn't imply that, though. I was giving an example of someone who wanted to die because of a terminal disease, but I personally am not against anyone who wishes to take their lives.

I would do everything possible to prevent the scuicide though... let's say from a depressive person who simply finds no reason to live.

MrGeezer
Seriously? If I go asking for assisted suicide because I'm bummed out that I lost my job, then you think that's a valid reason for a doctor to help kill me? You think they should be allowed to help kill pretty much anyone for whatever reason?

I honestly don't see why people have such a big deal with this. It's not your life. Why do you want to try and tell someone how to live or not live their life?
#55 Posted by MrGeezer (56967 posts) -
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="zenogandia"]I didn't imply that, though. I was giving an example of someone who wanted to die because of a terminal disease, but I personally am not against anyone who wishes to take their lives.

I would do everything possible to prevent the scuicide though... let's say from a depressive person who simply finds no reason to live.

-Renegade
Seriously? If I go asking for assisted suicide because I'm bummed out that I lost my job, then you think that's a valid reason for a doctor to help kill me? You think they should be allowed to help kill pretty much anyone for whatever reason?

I honestly don't see why people have such a big deal with this. It's not your life. Why do you want to try and tell someone how to live or not live their life?

Because the second you help them out, then it stops being a simple matter of "letting them live their life." At that point, you're an active participant. What you're talking about is getting into Futurama style Suicide Booth territory, and I'll wager that even most assisted suicide proponents draw the line there.
#56 Posted by sonicare (53602 posts) -

I think if they are of sound mind and not depressed, then it's up to them. But should doctors really be killing their patients?

#57 Posted by osirisx3 (2018 posts) -

naying is for horses

#58 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

naying is for horses

osirisx3

I thought hay was for horses

#59 Posted by zenogandia (861 posts) -

[QUOTE="-Renegade"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"] Seriously? If I go asking for assisted suicide because I'm bummed out that I lost my job, then you think that's a valid reason for a doctor to help kill me? You think they should be allowed to help kill pretty much anyone for whatever reason?MrGeezer

Because the second you help them out, then it stops being a simple matter of "letting them live their life." At that point, you're an active participant. What you're talking about is getting into Futurama style Suicide Booth territory, and I'll wager that even most assisted suicide proponents draw the line there.

Yes. I do not control people's lives. If they wish to have a doctor take their lives, than so be it. I still believe there should be a period of mental health treatment before the patient takes such a desicion. Once again, it's not my life. People do what they want with it as long as they don't hurt anyone else.

#60 Posted by MrGeezer (56967 posts) -
I still believe there should be a period of mental health treatment before the patient takes such a desicion. zenogandia
Why? Why make them go through that when they want suicide now? I thought you said you were against "controlling peoples' lives".
#61 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -
As long as it is the patient who is pushing the idea, yay.Ring_of_fire
This, I wish I could put it somewhere so if I ever went mentally different that I want to be killed.
#62 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

Under some circumstances I'd say its ok. If the person is a real mess and has no chance of recovery but a long life of suffering ahead then YAY. I know I'd like to have the choice if it came to that.

#63 Posted by Rich3232 (2628 posts) -
yay
#64 Posted by KiIIyou (27154 posts) -
hay
#65 Posted by zenogandia (861 posts) -

[QUOTE="zenogandia"] I still believe there should be a period of mental health treatment before the patient takes such a desicion. MrGeezer
Why? Why make them go through that when they want suicide now? I thought you said you were against "controlling peoples' lives".

:? That could also be their desicion. If they want to kill themselves instantly than so be it. But better to see if they can get treatment beforehand. I, like many other people have been down that road. It only took a therapy or two finally get up and keep walking again. It's best to explore all the possible options.

Your post makes no sense, since its not wanting to control the person life, but give them the option of thinking it through a couple of months. If they don't want to than so be it.

#66 Posted by famicommander (8524 posts) -
It isn't my place to decide whether other people live or die. If someone wants to die that is their business and the state should have nothing to do with it.