Assisted suicide of terminally ill patients - yay or nay?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Razor-Lazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Razor-Lazor
Member since 2009 • 12763 Posts

For years, people have been debating on medical euthanasia, and there are usually strong points from both sides. So what do you think? If someone is suffering with no foreseeable way out, should they be allowed to ask a physician to end their life?

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

wasn't there a thread just like this 4 months ago?

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

nay, taking ones life even if its own is a crime.sets a bad example plus near and dear ones also get affected. My cousin sister is born handiccaped, can't eat, can't do potty, can't move at all without help of nanny. does it mean she should end her life? no. Her parents and we love and care for her all the same. But i do feel the pain of those worst cases of terminally ill patients.

Razor-Lazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Razor-Lazor

wasn't there a thread just like this 4 months ago?

almasdeathchild
I don't know. Was there a thread just like this four months ago?
Ring_of_fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Ring_of_fire
Member since 2003 • 15880 Posts
As long as it is the patient who is pushing the idea, yay.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

Yay!!!!!!!! Obviously. I can understand religious people not supporting it however.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

nay, taking ones life even if its own is a crime.sets a bad example plus near and dear ones also get affected. My cousin sister is born handiccaped, can't eat, can't do potty, can't move at all without help of nanny. does it mean she shouldend her life? no. Her parents and we love and care for her all the same. But i do feel the pain of those worst cases of terminally ill patients.

indzman

Who says that it's mandatory?

TC clearly mentions assisted suicide, not Compassionate Murder, get your facts straight.

Also if the person suffering wants to die and wholeheartedly agrees to euthanasia then I say Yay. You wouldn't let a dog suffer such agony and we're supposed to care about humans a lot more.

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

I don't have a problem with this.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 indzman

[QUOTE="indzman"]

nay, taking ones life even if its own is a crime.sets a bad example plus near and dear ones also get affected. My cousin sister is born handiccaped, can't eat, can't do potty, can't move at all without help of nanny. does it mean she shouldend her life? no. Her parents and we love and care for her all the same. But i do feel the pain of those worst cases of terminally ill patients.

JohnF111

TC clearly mentions assisted suicide, not Compassionate Murder, get your facts straight.

Also if the person suffering wants to die and wholeheartedly agrees to euthanasia then I say Yay. You wouldn't let a dog suffer such agony and we're supposed to care about humans a lot more.

i guess it really depends on the situation and the patient. If a person is seriously sufferring and asking for death , assisted suicide can be allowed on the patients saying.

my cousin is seriously handicapped and is in lots of pain like not able to do anything, we still care about her a lot. If she insistied on assisted suicide, we would feel really bad you know, specially her parents.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Honestly? I've never had a problem with euthanasia.

No point in letting someone suffer if they're going to die anyway. I've never understood why it's illegal in the first place (I know there's stupid reasons, but nothing legitimate imo).

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="indzman"]

JohnF111

Yup. If it's their choice then there shouldn't be a legal barrier. If loved ones want to object they can object all they want and try to dissuade the person from going through with it, but in the end if they want to end their life the government shouldn't get in the way.

Razor-Lazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Razor-Lazor

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]

[QUOTE="indzman"]

indzman

i guess it really depends on the situation and the patient. If a person is seriously sufferring and asking for death , assisted suicide can be allowed on the patients saying.

my cousin is seriously handicapped and is in lots of pain like not able to do anything, we care about her a lot. If she insistied on assisted suicide, we would feel really bad you know.

Physical/Mental Handicap =/= A Terminal Illness
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#13 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

If they want it, then they should have the right to check out whenever they want.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 theone86

[QUOTE="indzman"]

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]

Razor-Lazor

my cousin is seriously handicapped and is in lots of pain like not able to do anything, we care about her a lot. If she insistied on assisted suicide, we would feel really bad you know.

Physical/Mental Handicap =/= A Terminal Illness

I don't see why there needs to be a legal distinction. If someone is completely incapacitated and feels like thier quality of life is so low as to make them not want to live anymore then I don't see why there should be a legal barrier to voluntary euthanasia for them. Whether one should end their life or not because they're quadraplegic is a different matter.

Razor-Lazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Razor-Lazor

If they want it, then they should have the right to check out whenever they want.

Blueresident87
So, just to play devil's advocate, should suicide itself be legal then?
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tenaka2

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

Razor-Lazor

Does the legality of the fact matter? Is it even really illegal?

Razor-Lazor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Razor-Lazor

[QUOTE="Razor-Lazor"][QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

tenaka2

You can get in a lot of trouble for attempted suicide.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 theone86

[QUOTE="tenaka2"]

[QUOTE="Razor-Lazor"] So, just to play devil's advocate, should suicide itself be legal then?Razor-Lazor

Actually, I think they just commit you until a doctor can verify you're not a risk to yourself.

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]

[QUOTE="indzman"]

indzman

my cousin is seriously handicapped and is in lots of pain like not able to do anything, we still care about her a lot. If she insisted on assisted suicide, we would feel really bad you know, specially her parents.

You say you would all feel bad but you never mentioned allowing it, would you do it? I can understand not wanting to let go of a loved one but really if someone is asking for help to die then it must be bad. Also it should only come from people who are mentally capable of a reliable decision, you say your cousins sister is handicapped so like you say it would depend on the patient and if they're consciously capable of making the decision, it should also be put through a few tests to determine mental health.. Don't want people being euthanised who don't want it after all.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tenaka2

[QUOTE="Razor-Lazor"][QUOTE="tenaka2"]

theone86

Actually, I think they just commit you until a doctor can verify you're not a risk to yourself.

Yet if a person sacrificed themselves to save another, a child for example the person would be deemed a hero.

I can understand the legal side if someone jumps of a building/infront of a train etc as that endangers others,

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 theone86

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="Razor-Lazor"] You can get in a lot of trouble for attempted suicide.tenaka2

Yet if a person sacrificed themselves to save another, a child for example the person would be deemed a hero.

I can understand the legal side if someone jumps of a building/infront of a train etc as that endangers others,

Well, I mean if someone is clinically depressed then obviously treatment could legitimately help them avoid the urge to kill themselves. However, if someone really does not want to live as a quadriplegic (for example, the blind and deaf twins could be another example) then that's not a case of chemical imbalance, that's a conscious decision.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

[QUOTE="Blueresident87"]

Razor-Lazor

If it doesn't inhibit others, sure.

By this I mean, don't jump off a building into the middle of a busy street. In fact not in public places at all.

Also don't fail at suicide. If an ambulance is taken away from preparation for actual emergencies and people who need assistance and actually want to live, then yes you deserve criminal charges.

I think the above reasons are the only reason suicide is criminalized in the first place. Some kid wants to kill himself and then changes his mind AFTER he injest 30 tylenol or AFTER she cuts her wrists... Then it inhibits emergency personnel. I don't think the government gives a sh-t otherwise.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 indzman

[QUOTE="indzman"]

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]

JohnF111

my cousin is seriously handicapped and is in lots of pain like not able to do anything, we still care about her a lot. If she insisted on assisted suicide, we would feel really bad you know, specially her parents.

You say you would all feel bad but you never mentioned allowing it, would you do it? I can understand not wanting to let go of a loved one but really if someone is asking for help to die then it must be bad. Also it should only come from people who are mentally capable of a reliable decision, you say your cousins sister is handicapped so like you say it would depend on the patient and if they're consciously capable of making the decision, it should also be put through a few tests to determine mental health.. Don't want people being euthanised who don't want it after all.

Yep, very tough decision to make lol. If only there was other way around besides death Heh

TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

It is unethical and highly controversial.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 indzman

TehFuneral

more like cruel if you ask me :P

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 theone86

It is unethicalTehFuneral

It is?
and highly controversial.

TehFuneral

So that makes it wrong?

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tenaka2

TehFuneral

Why do you think it is unethical?

MaddenMad92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MaddenMad92
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
if that is what the person wants, then so be it.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
[QUOTE="Razor-Lazor"] Physical/Mental Handicap =/= A Terminal Illness

Well, see, that's the thing. While everyone has the right to die, that doesn't mean that people should have the right to help kill other people. Obviously there's a line that shouldn't be crossed, it's just really hard to determine exactly where that line should lie. I'm not opposed to assisted suicide, but I don't like when people portray assisted suicide opponents as cruel and ignorant. That's not really fair.
TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

[QUOTE="TehFuneral"]

tenaka2

Why do you think it is unethical?

There is really no direct answer to this, but as a medical doctor you are, under the hippocratic oath, obliged to heal only... and causing death is not considered healing.

Then you have all that medico-legal laws and whatnot where it differs around the world and comes to play a role ... which I unfortunately do not hold much information about.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#31 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
Without a doubt. There comes a time when helping someone die is a mercy. Quality of life is just as important as quantity of it.
KingKinect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KingKinect
Member since 2012 • 548 Posts

Unless they are a paraplegic or something why can't they just kill themselves? It's easy enough. Find a cliff, overdose on painkillers, put an electrical appliance in the bath ect. Not hard.

Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts

If the person is in no capacity to do it themselves and are untreatable, then I see it as a medical obligation to assist them.

Then again, I think doctors should just kill paitents for the fun of it.

zenogandia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 zenogandia
Member since 2012 • 861 Posts

Other than religious people saying that only god can take and give life, I don't see an issue with assisted suicide. If I were suffering from a terminal disease that I knew could not be cured, why keep on living? Life is suffering, but not to that extent.

scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#36 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

I don't particularly like it, but it's not my place to say what you do with your body.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

As someone who works in healthcare and has seen alot of **** in his career, I say yes.

It is disgusting to me the condition some people are kept in thanks to family members who just can't ******* let go.

Keep a person alive with feeding tubes to just lay to waste in a bed 24/7. They are aware of things going on but can't move or speak or anything. Oh lets not forget the trach tube making them breathe.

I understand for a period of time someone being in such a state if there is actually a chance for them to get their life back, but by God people will be left like that for YEARS....

Even worse, without euthanasia once a family FINALLY decides to pull the plug it means the person starves to death. They only pull the plug on the freaking feeding tube......

So yeah, there needs to be some way of making this legal. I have dealt with people attempting suicide at my work because they didn't want to live the rest of their life in a nursing home....

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Unless they are a paraplegic or something why can't they just kill themselves? It's easy enough. Find a cliff, overdose on painkillers, put an electrical appliance in the bath ect. Not hard.

KingKinect

If they are in a healthcare facility (which alot of the time someone who would be in this position would be) they CAN'T unless the facility screws up.

We HAVE to prevent anyone from eloping (leaving when they aren't supposed to) or killing themselves. A person succeeds with either of those the facility itself is going to be in big trouble...

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MrGeezer

Other than religious people saying that only god can take and give life, I don't see an issue with assisted suicide. If I were suffering from a terminal disease that I knew could not be cured, why keep on living? Life is suffering, but not to that extent.

zenogandia
The part I just emphasized, that is the issue. You too are basically implying, "no, doctors should not be able to help people kill themselves, except in these particular instances." But it's an arbitrary standard. What if the affliction isn't terminal, but it affects my life so much that I don't feel it's a life worth living? Should assisted suicide be allowed in those cases? What if the affliction is treatable, but the treatment is so painful and uncomfortable that I'd rather just die? Is it okay then? The issue is not if people have the right to die, the issue is when a doctor is allowed to kill a patient. And there isn't any objective "right" answer to that.
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts
Since its what I'd want for myself. yay...
zenogandia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 zenogandia
Member since 2012 • 861 Posts

[QUOTE="zenogandia"]

MrGeezer

The part I just emphasized, that is the issue. You too are basically implying, "no, doctors should not be able to help people kill themselves, except in these particular instances." But it's an arbitrary standard. What if the affliction isn't terminal, but it affects my life so much that I don't feel it's a life worth living? Should assisted suicide be allowed in those cases? What if the affliction is treatable, but the treatment is so painful and uncomfortable that I'd rather just die? Is it okay then? The issue is not if people have the right to die, the issue is when a doctor is allowed to kill a patient. And there isn't any objective "right" answer to that.

I didn't imply that, though. I was giving an example of someone who wanted to die because of a terminal disease, but I personally am not against anyone who wishes to take their lives.

I would do everything possible to prevent the scuicide though... let's say from a depressive person who simply finds no reason to live.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Yes. Though I imagine in today's society the bureaucracy involved in this would be gargantuan.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#43 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

Hey if they want to take their own lives why not? There is many easy ways to kill yourself if you really wanted to though so not sure why someone would need assistance with something so simple, unless you were unable to do it yourself.

IdioticIcarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 IdioticIcarus
Member since 2012 • 2167 Posts

Yay. But I think it should be for anyone that wants it, not justterminally ill people.

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#45 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts
I don't see any problem with stopping pain on someone who is on the end of his life. Seriously. We do that with dogs as a mercy killing. And we don't show that mercy with other human??
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Definitely yay. If after any and all procedures, the patient is still suffering and without much hope, and it is the patient's wish to end their life, then I see no reason to let them contniue suffering.

Hell, we euthenize pets if they are suffering and we don't technically get consent from them.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#47 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Yes. Although very surprised my state voted it down...

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
They should have the option if they're terminally ill. Give them a period of time after agreeing to see if they get cold feet and then if they don't then they should be able to make that choice. It's their life.
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MrGeezer
I didn't imply that, though. I was giving an example of someone who wanted to die because of a terminal disease, but I personally am not against anyone who wishes to take their lives.

I would do everything possible to prevent the scuicide though... let's say from a depressive person who simply finds no reason to live.

zenogandia
Seriously? If I go asking for assisted suicide because I'm bummed out that I lost my job, then you think that's a valid reason for a doctor to help kill me? You think they should be allowed to help kill pretty much anyone for whatever reason?