#1 Posted by thehig1 (1746 posts) -

Just seen the AVGN movie, rented it on Vimeo because I couldn't go to any of the showing as I live in the UK.

The plot of the movie centres around the increasing pressure "The Nerd" has to review the original ET game.

He ends up visiting the landfill site Atari was rumoured to have disposed of millions of copies of ET and other junk and he gets in trouble with the government who mistake him for a terrorist because he is snooping close to Area 51.

This got me thinking about Area 51 and all the crazy stories and conspiracies that originate from it.

The conspiracies are entertaining to read through if nothing else, a few examples below

- There is a massive underground structure, leading to other secret areas.(think Resident Evil movie)

- They work on Alien Space craft and other technology. This stems back to the Roswell incident that some theorists believe we captured Alien technology from and have used to develop a lot of technology we use today

- There are even live Alien specimens on site, apparently from the Roswell incident.

- Some conspiracies even suggest Aliens run the show, trying to create a hybrid life form because they can no longer reproduce, They are also authorized to abduct people at will and grind there bodies up for nourishment. Sounds like a bad B-movie I know but there are some people really believe this one.

- Area 51 is used a base for New World Order activities

I don't think Area 51 is anything more than a military testing site, and strange reports all have rational explanations. Aircraft flying around the area are likely prototypes the public have never seen before, so this might explain why UFO enthusiasts will jump on UFO bandwagon over it,

Even if it is just a military testing site, its still pretty interesting, and it being so secretive makes it even more interesting

What do you guys think about it, and do you think most likely happens there ?

#2 Edited by Nuck81 (5847 posts) -

@thehig1: Isn't a UFO just a flying object that is not Identified.

Just because it's a UFO doesn't automatically make it Alien in nature

#3 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8466 posts) -

The truth is out there

#4 Edited by CrimsonBrute (23482 posts) -

Looks like it's time to pull out the old tin-foil hat.

#5 Edited by thehig1 (1746 posts) -

@Nuck81: I know, but when some people see a UFO they will jump straight to Alien as the explanation, very much like if your TV turns off on its own its a ghost.

#6 Edited by lamprey263 (23636 posts) -

Think about it, how would our modern day aircraft capabilities be based off craft that are fit for interstellar travel? Which rely on fossil fuels?

#7 Posted by EasyComeEasyGo (584 posts) -

If we learn anything from Independent Day is that, the President of the United States does not know the existence of Area 51.

#8 Posted by ferrari2001 (16883 posts) -

Area 51's location is well documented and well photographed from satellite and aerial cameras. It does not seem to be anything more then a military installation that employs aerospace engineers to design and develop aircraft and aircraft weapons. In fact I would imagine vast amounts of technology from modern U.S. military aircraft were developed in this base. It's really not all that special. It would also make sense for the research in said base to be classified as not to share advanced military weapons with potentially dangerous aggressors.

#9 Posted by PurpleLabel (301 posts) -

Area 51's location is well documented and well photographed from satellite and aerial cameras. It does not seem to be anything more then a military installation that employs aerospace engineers to design and develop aircraft and aircraft weapons. In fact I would imagine vast amounts of technology from modern U.S. military aircraft were developed in this base. It's really not all that special. It would also make sense for the research in said base to be classified as not to share advanced military weapons with potentially dangerous aggressors.

Actually I work at area 51 and we are indeed hiding alien technology and aliens.

#10 Posted by Gaming-Planet (14021 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

Actually I work at area 51 and we are indeed hiding alien technology and aliens.

Why are you hiding Mexicans?

#11 Posted by PurpleLabel (301 posts) -

@purplelabel said:

@ferrari2001 said:

Why are you hiding Mexicans?

Because you'll steal them all.

#12 Posted by MrGeezer (56243 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

Actually I'm an alien and I can confirm this story.

#13 Posted by Korvus (3585 posts) -

It is even confirmed that Area 51 exists (or that something exists in that location that got dubbed Area 51)?

#14 Posted by comp_atkins (31347 posts) -

@korvus said:

It is even confirmed that Area 51 exists (or that something exists in that location that got dubbed Area 51)?

the government will continue to deny it's existence to stoke the people's interest in it's secrecy

in the meantime, the real aliens and saucers are kept at area 52, which remains nicely under the public's radar.

#15 Edited by wis3boi (31304 posts) -

@korvus said:

Yes, I've been there (to the fence.) As soon as you set foot anywhere around there, you'll see a black van sit on a hill and watch you. They also have signs saying they'll fire on anyone passing the fence.

EDIT: google maps photo

#16 Posted by CrimsonBrute (23482 posts) -
@wis3boi said:

@korvus said:

Yes, I've been there (to the fence.) As soon as you set foot anywhere around there, you'll see a black van sit on a hill and watch you. They also have signs saying they'll fire on anyone passing the fence.

An unmarked vehicle sometimes follows you as you make your way to the gate.

#17 Edited by Motokid6 (5464 posts) -

How hard would it be to hide the construction and maintenance of a large subsurface structure? I mean for one thing your talking massive amounts of material having to be moved in and out. Not to mention.. where did all that dirt go? There a large man made mountain somewhere close? Is the entire surface facility built up on it?

That would be very hard to keep secret.