Are You Happy With Your Body OT

• 81 results
#1 Posted by Xeno_ghost (696 posts) -

Are you happy with your body?

If not do you let it get you down and does it restrict you living your life the way you want?

Or are you one of the lucky ones that is not happy with your body but doesn't let it spoil your fun?

#2 Posted by LZ71 (10343 posts) -

My body is the kind where I can trick people into thinking it's halfway decent. So that's great.

Of course I wish I had a better body, but my diet more than exercising prevents me from achieving something I can be actually proud of. The relatively poor college student budget doesn't really allow for much other than shit food.

#3 Posted by Iszdope (11716 posts) -

No.

Too much beer.

#4 Posted by Star67 (3464 posts) -

Im fine with my body other than my stomach. I wish it were flat.

#5 Posted by ShepardCommandr (3348 posts) -

I don't care.

I am neither skinny nor fat.

#6 Posted by gameofthering (10509 posts) -

@Star67: Same. Everything else is good apart from that.

#7 Posted by Netret0120 (2871 posts) -

Definitely. I workout 3-4 times a week for 20-30mins and am happy with the results. Nothing too amazing but above average most certainly.

#8 Edited by Korvus (9030 posts) -

I'm definitely happy with my body. Gained a couple kg's during the honeymoon (ate like a bastard in Rome for a week) but they're almost gone in 2 weeks. I eat whatever I want, whenever I want and if I eat "right" for 2 or 3 days I go back to normal weight. Also, for some reason my arms and legs started bulking up like crazy lately just because I cycle for an hour twice a week and do no other exercise (how the hell cycling is making my arms bulk up, I have no idea). Will start basketball later this month so I can't wait to see the result of daily exercise.

I always had a crazy slow metabolism and I wasn't this fit even when I trained martial arts about 20 hours a week for 4 years...it just came out of nowhere about 3 years ago...let's hope it holds =P

@xeno_ghost: How about you TC? Are you happy with your body?

#9 Posted by BossPerson (9125 posts) -

no

#10 Posted by SUD123456 (4543 posts) -

Can I get a new one about 30 yrs younger than the one I have?

#11 Posted by themajormayor (24449 posts) -

About 17 cm

#12 Posted by KHAndAnime (14915 posts) -

Yes. I don't work out but I get compliments on how "skinny" I am and there's nothing about my body that particularly bothers me. I eat pretty much anything I want too - never exercised any dietary restraint in my life.

#13 Posted by lostrib (43966 posts) -

No, which is why I got to the gym

#14 Posted by PsychoLemons (2500 posts) -

Nope, because I have a skin infection and it ruined my life.

#15 Posted by genius2365 (446 posts) -

I'm alright with it. A bit on the skinny side, wish my metabolism wasn't so fast so I could actually gain a few pounds, but other than that it's good.

#16 Posted by yokofox33 (30484 posts) -

I'm pretty stoked I'm thin and an average height (5'10). Wish I had a bit more muscle and definition, but that's more due to my laziness. And I kinda wish I was at least 6 feet tall. I'd probably be able to dunk a basketball.

But overall I can't really complain.

#17 Edited by foxhound_fox (91108 posts) -

No.

But with a better income I'm hoping to change that (with healthier food options... which should be the cheaper option >_>) and a gym membership.

#18 Edited by Behardy24 (5324 posts) -

Not really. But I don't mind that much honestly.

#19 Posted by CrossFire245 (1073 posts) -

I'm fine with it. I do wish I was a bit more muscular, but it's not like I have no muscle definition whatsoever. I'm not fat, but I don't look ridiculously skinny either.

So outside of maybe a bit more muscle, yes I am.

#20 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (17823 posts) -

I'd like my upper torso to have a more pronounced "V" by working out. But, the wife is happy the way it is now. So, I concentrate on cardio stuff.

#21 Edited by gamerguru100 (11639 posts) -

I'm slightly overweight for my height, but not anywhere near obese. I could be in better shape, but I'm lazy and need motivation. I guess I can say my body image is okay.

#22 Posted by kraceyleo (25 posts) -

Question is, what the hell can you change? Just adapt to it, and love yourself

#23 Posted by Stranger_36 (505 posts) -

No.

#24 Posted by sukraj (24174 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

No.

Too much beer.

stay off the beer it will make your waist line bigger.

#25 Posted by Iszdope (11716 posts) -

@sukraj said:

@Iszdope said:

No.

Too much beer.

Yeah, I'm trying. Tis hard.

Going to talk with a drug & alcohol counsellor next week. See if I can pick up some tips.

#26 Posted by sukraj (24174 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

@sukraj said:

@Iszdope said:

No.

Too much beer.

Going to talk with a drug & alcohol counsellor next week. See if I can pick up some tips.

How long have you been drinking?

#27 Posted by Iszdope (11716 posts) -

@sukraj said:

@Iszdope said:

@sukraj said:

@Iszdope said:

No.

Too much beer.

On and off since I was sixteen.

#28 Posted by chaoscougar1 (37150 posts) -

Definitely
My gym membership has been worth every cent

#29 Posted by sukraj (24174 posts) -

@Iszdope said:

@sukraj said:

@Iszdope said:

@sukraj said:

@Iszdope said:

No.

Too much beer.

On and off since I was sixteen.

I started drinking at the age of 18 and i stopped drinking 3 years ago because of my diabetes.

#30 Posted by Iszdope (11716 posts) -

@sukraj: That sux bro.

#31 Posted by mjorh (1462 posts) -

I'm skinny to death ! 45kg! In 15 i was 45 and now in 21 i am 45 ....dunno what's goin' on! i don't care tho as long as i'm healthy ...had a check up test last summer and there was nothing wrong with me, absolutely healthy.

#32 Posted by jasean79 (2402 posts) -

It's a work in progress. I go to the gym to increase strength and I've definitely done that over the past few years. Now I just have to focus on better eating habits (which aren't really bad now) to lose the excess belly fat.

#33 Posted by Korvus (9030 posts) -

@jasean79: It sucks when you get similar amounts of pleasure from getting fit and eating wrong =P

#34 Posted by certifieddata (46060 posts) -

Yeah, just trying to gain some more muscle mass, which is tough since I exercise so much that my weight has basically stalled and how can I gain more muscle is my weight doesn't go up? The good thing for now at least is that I'm still making strength gains.

#35 Edited by Xeno_ghost (696 posts) -

@korvus: as a young boy I didn't care about my body image so much I was always quite tall and skinny, it wasn't until getting towards my teens I became unhappy with my body, in the circles I used to run around in looking tough was a big deal, and I was tall and skinny. I hated being called skinny or lanky it would really bring me down, I used to wear layers and layers of clothes to hide my body, even in hot weather I would wear couple tops and a hoody I hated summer. Even though I lacked confidence in my body I still somehow managed to get girlfriends, in my mid 20's I was quite depressed about my body, to the point where I didn't much like going out. Then I figured I can't spend my life like this and I started learning about weight training and the dietary requirements to get effective muscle and weight gain. So I started doing weights and eating plenty of meals and having protein shakes, and now I'm a lot happier with my body. I can walk down the street with just a tshirt and it's all good. Even though I have put on a bit of weight and muscle I still look in the mirror and still think i need to be bigger. I think I have the reverse of anorexia lol. It's seems stupid I used to see guys that were skinnier than me out and about having fun without a care in the world they seemed confident in themselves and I wished I could be like that but I'm obsessed with my body image.

Hats off to all you guys that don't give a fuck about having a perfect body like what the media shoves down our necks, as long as you're healthy that's all good.

#36 Posted by jasean79 (2402 posts) -

@korvus said:

@jasean79: It sucks when you get similar amounts of pleasure from getting fit and eating wrong =P

That's just it though. I never really eat bad, per se. I try to eat healthy and up the protein intake, but it just never seems to be enough to shed the pounds. Once I hit 200 lb, I was never able to get back under again. I'm like 220 now and although most of it's bulk, I'd still like to slim down about 20 lbs.

Funny thing about working out - takes you years to get to a goal and only weeks to destroy it.

#37 Edited by Korvus (9030 posts) -

@xeno_ghost: Yeah, obsessions tend to completely ruin any sort of realistic expectation. What worked for me was to not see it as "still miles away from what I want to look like" but "Hey, looking better than last week". Before I knew it I was past my original goal, and all the while feeling happy with myself because I saw the slight changes every week/couple of days. If you focus on the end goal it's failure until complete success...if you focus on the small victories it's plenty of small successes until you're done.

@jasean79: Oh, I eat bad, quite bad...some weeks I'm just so tired that I say "screw this" and have pizza on monday, mcD on Tuesday, Subway on Wednesday...you get the point...then snack here a pack of crisps there, some chocolate....then I have to eat right for another week to lose the weight ("eating right" means "no fast food and no sweet"...it's still full of white bread/rice/pasta, etc). Hmmm, reading what I just wrote it seems like a miracle that I'm not overweight XD

#38 Posted by Xeno_ghost (696 posts) -

@korvus: yeah it's like every time I would do weights I would look in the mirror, infact I would constantly look in the mirror so it was hard to see much improvement over the weeks and months, it would be other people that I would see here and there that would say "you been working out?" Which would really make my day :)

#39 Posted by jasean79 (2402 posts) -

@korvus said:

@jasean79: Oh, I eat bad, quite bad...some weeks I'm just so tired that I say "screw this" and have pizza on monday, mcD on Tuesday, Subway on Wednesday...you get the point...then snack here a pack of crisps there, some chocolate....then I have to eat right for another week to lose the weight ("eating right" means "no fast food and no sweet"...it's still full of white bread/rice/pasta, etc). Hmmm, reading what I just wrote it seems like a miracle that I'm not overweight XD

White bread/rice/pasta are usually the three things health nuts tell you to stay away from. I too, am guilty of eating those, because the whole "wheat" kick just doesn't satisfy (and is gross).

#40 Edited by Korvus (9030 posts) -

@xeno_ghost: It's not that uncommon, actually. I know a lot of people (mostly girls, since most of my friends are girls) that do things like trying to lose weight and constantly weighing themselves and complain that nothing's happening. I have to tell them "Forget the scale...have you looked at yourself in the mirror lately? Look at the difference in your waist, your hips, your thighs..."...people tend to focus on only one aspect and completely miss the progress. It helps to have someone on the outside noticing the progress that you're failing to see.

@jasean79: Yeah, my wife decided to lose a few kg and went all no-carbs all of a sudden. I couldn't do that...guess having a sucky tongue that can't even taste vegetables unless they're cooked doesn't help. Still, I lost as much weight as she did, except I did it with exercise and she did it with eating...I don't mind sweating, but don't take the yummy food away =P

#41 Edited by Xeno_ghost (696 posts) -

@jasean79: you're trying to lose weight I'm trying to put more on lol.

Are you bulking up?

#42 Posted by RadecSupreme (4749 posts) -

I'm happy with my body, but I stopped going to the gym for a month now so I've been losing some muscle and getting flabbier so I need to get back into that.

#43 Posted by jasean79 (2402 posts) -

@xeno_ghost said:

@jasean79: you're trying to lose weight I'm trying to put more on lol.

Are you bulking up?

I'm getting stronger, no doubt. But I'm trying to shed the fat. I realize it's 100% my eating habits, but eating healthy is expensive and money is tight right now.

#44 Posted by Korvus (9030 posts) -

@jasean79: I always find it funny when Americans say that eating right it's expensive...I spend about 5 times more in food eating badly (even more if you count fast food) than my wife did in her no-carb regimen. It's eating badly that's expensive here.

#45 Posted by Xeno_ghost (696 posts) -

@jasean79: @jasean79: they say if you increase the amount of meals you have in a day but make them small meals it speeds up your metabolism.

#46 Posted by PSP107 (12475 posts) -

I would have thought this topic was more suited for women.

#47 Posted by Korvus (9030 posts) -

@PSP107: And why would that be? Men have body image as well and nowadays, unless you live in a cave, you are aware of the kind of body you're "supposed to have", which makes a lot of guys unhappy.

#48 Posted by Xeno_ghost (696 posts) -

@RadecSupreme: I have a bench at my house with barbell curling bar dumbells and plenty of weights, that's all you need if you have the room.

#49 Posted by Xeno_ghost (696 posts) -

@PSP107: "I would have thought this topic was more suited for women"

Hmmm whys that? You reckon guys don't have body issues?

#50 Posted by jasean79 (2402 posts) -

@xeno_ghost said:

@jasean79: @jasean79: they say if you increase the amount of meals you have in a day but make them small meals it speeds up your metabolism.

Yeah. I was on a 12 week workout program a couple of years ago that was all about eating every couple of hours. It worked, but the meals involved were just too much (could only eat chicken, beef, oats, brown rice, eggs, fish, hot sauce). I never got cut on it, but I did lose about 15 pounds. Of course, I gained it all back when I got back to regular eating habits. I still try to eat every 2-3 hours though. Some days it's hard.