Are you growing a garden this year?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

I am. It will be my second year trying. Last year I started way too late. I ordered my seeds and am waiting on them now. I am growing a full white tomato, a yellow cherry tomato, orange bell peppers, red thai chili peppers, yellow strawberries, white cucumbers, and an almost extinct musk melon that dates back to 1885. I am into growing heirloom foods.

#2 Posted by konvikt_17 (22310 posts) -

Theres an innuendo somewhere in this thread.

#3 Posted by dodgerblue13 (20845 posts) -
We always grow green and red peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, and a few other things. It's far better than store-bought.
#4 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
We always grow green and red peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, and a few other things. It's far better than store-bought.dodgerblue13
And far cheaper.
#5 Posted by XilePrincess (13130 posts) -

really_high_guy.jpg

But seriously, my parents grow some stuff but all I ever really eat out of the garden is the tomatoes because everything else has this lingering taste and scent of dirt no matter how much I wash it.

I think I'm going to do a herb garden this year and see if I can keep it alive indoors once winter hits, I always need fresh basil for things and don't have it. 

#6 Posted by sukraj (23481 posts) -

growing some flowers this summer.

#7 Posted by Dogswithguns (10843 posts) -
None of the above. and I never did..
#8 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

yup Every year

tomatoes, bell pepper, potatoes, strawberries. 

#9 Posted by Angie7F (1120 posts) -

I dont have a scrap of soil around my house, so no.

It sure looks fun though.

#10 Posted by Jehuty08 (1951 posts) -

I would, but I think minnesota is skipping summer this year :(

#11 Posted by WinsteadVolve (391 posts) -

yes, it shall be a good wast... occupier of my time.

#12 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

yes, it shall be a good wast... occupier of my time.

WinsteadVolve
lol not hard lol. dig up some dirt throws seeds in, place little wire fence around due to dear give it some water in it's early ages or dry period. GO OUT SIDE AND PICK when you want something, Shoot even if you live in apartments you can hang upside down farms in the windows PS: depending on where you live you may or may not need shoot a few wabbits (rabbits) or they WILL eat all your strawberries :( Then skin and toss on grill YO got your self a FULL meal out of your garden!
#13 Posted by Riverwolf007 (24018 posts) -

nothing big.

just tomatos and maybe some melons or something.

#14 Posted by gamerguru100 (10804 posts) -

I would, but I think minnesota is skipping summer this year :(

Jehuty08
LMAO. Tell me about it. A few days ago it was over 75 and now it's in the 40s. WTF?
#15 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
This reminds of my time I was visiting my grandmother. I was chillin' with granny in the front year, right? Well we started discussing things from the past, and I see this huge pretty plant from the distance. I'm like "Grandma what's that I've never seen a plant like that before", and she said "Oh, I found some seeds in Nelson(relative)'s pants so I planted them". So I continue talking to my grandma, and I keep looking at this plant - takes my like 15 minutes to realize my grandmother has a 6ft+ Marijuana plant growing in the front yard, and she lives easily 10 minutes from the police department LOl.
#16 Posted by jimkabrhel (15422 posts) -

We don't have enough natural sunlight coming into our yard to have a garden, sadly. I'd love to be able to grow a few vegetables.

#17 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

This reminds of my time I was visiting my grandmother. I was chillin' with granny in the front year, right? Well we started discussing things from the past, and I see this huge pretty plant from the distance. I'm like "Grandma what's that I've never seen a plant like that before", and she said "Oh, I found some seeds in Nelson(relative)'s pants so I planted them". So I continue talking to my grandma, and I keep looking at this plant - takes my like 15 minutes to realize my grandmother has a 6ft+ Marijuana plant growing in the front yard, and she lives easily 10 minutes from the police department LOl. Fightingfan
lol

Did she ask what happen to it the next day? 

#18 Posted by soulless4now (41381 posts) -

Mary, Mary, quite contrary 

How does your garden grow?

With silver bells and cockle shells

And pretty maids all in a row. 

But no, I'm not growing a garden because: 

tumblr_inline_ml3l6ub3Z11qz4rgp.jpg

#19 Posted by bnarmz (1425 posts) -

Yes, Tomatoes, Peppers, String beans, celery, carrots, and potatoes. Hopefully my dwarf apple and cherry tress produce enough for me this season, the little I got last year mostly went to the birds and squirrels. My neighbor has a hugh raspberry tree that drops plenty berries in my yard. My pops has a vine yard in his backyard, he's suppose to be showing me how to make wine but I always have something else to do.

#20 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

I dont have a scrap of soil around my house, so no.

It sure looks fun though.

Angie7F
You can grow in pots. Tomatos and peppers do good in pots.
#21 Posted by Starchaser187 (451 posts) -

I would, if I could 

#22 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (16828 posts) -

I am. It will be my second year trying. Last year I started way too late. I ordered my seeds and am waiting on them now. I am growing a full white tomato, a yellow cherry tomato, orange bell peppers, red thai chili peppers, yellow strawberries, white cucumbers, and an almost extinct musk melon that dates back to 1885. I am into growing heirloom foods.

AmazonTreeBoa

I thought about it. But, we're already in the middle of farm country where meats, poultry, and produce are dirt-cheap. So, probably not.

#23 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
Looks like I will be trying my hand at lettuce as well. Got free red romaine lettuce seeds as a gift with my order.
#24 Posted by lamprey263 (24709 posts) -
I'm moving in a few weeks, plan on doing some gardening when I get there.
#25 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
I'm moving in a few weeks, plan on doing some gardening when I get there.lamprey263
Start your seeds inside and when you move, they will be ready to be transplanted.
#26 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -
I'm growing something, alright.
#27 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -
Bought some parsley and oregano to grow and also decided to toss my orange watermelon seeds from last year into the ground to see if I get anything. My lettuce is doing great and all my seeds in cups have sprouted as have my yellow strawberries. Got my musk melon and cucumber seeds in the ground, but nothing has sprouted yet.