Are you a fan of AC/DC ???

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

Poll Are you a fan of AC/DC ??? (44 votes)

Yes,a great band. 43%
Sort of,some of their stuff is classic,some not. 25%
No,I don't like AC/DC at all. 32%

AC/DC is my all time favorite band.I'm turning forty this year and I have been listening to them since I was ten.What's your opinion of AC/DC ???

• 
Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 0

#1 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

AC/DC is awesome. They're not my favorite, but I still enjoy listening to their stuff.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Yeah I like pretty much all their music

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#3 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

how can anyone not like this?!

Loading Video...

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38677 Posts

DC was always easier for me to wrap my brain around. though i understand AC is better for long distance power delivery in order to minimize resistive line losses.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

@comp_atkins said:

DC was always easier for me to wrap my brain around. though i understand AC is better for long distance power delivery in order to minimize resistive line losses.

lol.What???????I was talking about the band.Or were you kidding??

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Nope. Their music sounds very very similar...there is no innovation. Boring and uninteresting.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Have a few of their albums, they're the kind of band that basically make the same song 30512358102385102385012 times over and it still sounds cool.

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

Nah, I don't like them.

CrimsonBrute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 CrimsonBrute  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 25603 Posts

I can't really call AC/DC one of my favorite bands since I only like 3 or 4 songs.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

I voted for "sort of," because I don't like that a ton of their songs are about sex, and I've never liked Scott's or Johnson's voice. What I DO like about AC/DC is Malcolm Young (by the way, I wish him well), and Angus Young, who have made some of the most simple, yet spectacular guitar riffs ever. A 5 year-old knows the riff to Back in Black.

@The_Last_Ride said:

(thunderstruck)

Yeah Thunderstruck is probably my favorite song by them. It has a hypnotic power that makes it virtually impossible to tire of it. That being said, it once again has an entire verse devoted towards talking about sex...I understand that it is rock music, but could they come up with a different topic to sing about?

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

I liked them when I was younger, not so much now. Mostly because all their albums sound the same.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

Is it a pop or metal band?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#13 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@EPICCOMMANDER: So? The entire song is awesomesauce

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

@thehig1 said:

Yeah I like pretty much all their music

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

No.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Wasn't an AC/DC fan until I saw them live in England at Castle Donington circa 1981/1982 ("For Those About To Rock" tour), my God they made a believer of me, fantastic show.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#17  Edited By Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

Far too redundant for my tastes.

Every record sounds exactly the same.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic

@scottpsfan14 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Nope. Their music sounds very very similar...there is no innovation. Boring and uninteresting.

They pretty much invented a type of rock music back in the early 70's. Hence why they are up there with The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, and Zeppelin as the one of the biggest bands ever. No innovation? You probably picked the wrong band to accuse of that.

Put it this way, The Cure made far less of an impact on music than AC/DC. And saying AC/DC's music "all soundz teh same" is a cop out. Hells Bells does not sound like Back in Black. Which doesn't sound like For Those About To Rock etc. What they do, they do very well. They have an insane guitar tone. Amazing production values with some of the most catchy tunes ever made. Back in Black is one of the best rock albums of all time. It's crazy what they have achieved. I'm not saying you have to like them lol, I'm just saying you are taking far too much away from them in that post.

I mean.. lol at you saying 'boring'. They are the exact oppisite. Especially live.

Uh no. The "type" of music AC/DC plays was invented by Black Sabbath.

As for The Cure....they have influenced music and subsequent bands. I'm not getting into a pissing contest with you over The Cure. You don't like their music...fine. But don't try to bring your opinion of the band into what you seem to have no knowledge about. Same with AC/DC. You are talking like a fan. They don't have variety and for that reason they are uninteresting. You cannot argue opinion.

Again...the last statement is OPINION. You don't find them boring...others do. Deal with it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LJS9502_basic

@scottpsfan14 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

Uh no. The "type" of music AC/DC plays was invented by Black Sabbath.

As for The Cure....they have influenced music and subsequent bands. I'm not getting into a pissing contest with you over The Cure. You don't like their music...fine. But don't try to bring your opinion of the band into what you seem to have no knowledge about. Same with AC/DC. You are talking like a fan. They don't have variety and for that reason they are uninteresting. You cannot argue opinion.

Again...the last statement is OPINION. You don't find them boring...others do. Deal with it.

Black Sabbath are nothing like AC/DC. Sorry. Black Sabbath are the inventors of Metal/Black Metal. AC/DC are rock n roll. There is nothing even remotely similar between the two apart from that they both play guitars through marshall amps.

Also i never said I don't like The Cure. I'm just saying AC/DC contributed more to music than them. Ask anybody who is unbiased towards both in real life or the music industry. The whole notion of the bass line not following what the guitar does, power slams, and swinging drum grooves is what makes AC/DC sound unique. They may be 'uninteresting' to you, but who do they sound like? Themselves. They are very unique really. Very raw. This is all fact. My opinion is that they are better than The Cure. Not that The Cure is a bad band. I'm just saying that AC/DC achieved far too much to just slam them like that.

Black Sabbath is hard rock as is AC/DC. Sure you can put them in other categories if you wish....and sure various metal bands were influenced by rock of the past...but they are both basically hard rock. Any history of music will tell you Sabbath was the innovator.

I'm not sure why you brought The Cure into a thread over AC/DC. I assume it's because you are upset that I don't like AC/DC and do like The Cure. You know all bands sound like themselves. If that's your selling point it's meaningless. Yes...sometimes I can hear an influence in the early discography of a band....but that happens for most bands as well....and generally doesn't last as they find their voice.

Contributed more to music is opinion as well. As far as the genres in question.....AC/DC is not the first hard rock band. Bands that have influenced metal...they are ONE of those bands. Sabbath, Zep, Deep Purple and others also contributed to the metal genre in the early years. And since you want to discuss The Cure...they influenced goth, post punk, new wave etc...ie various alternative subgenres. And today alternative is viable still. It's just silly to me that you hold up AC/DC and deny other genres their influences.

And again...you are telling me nothing but your opinion. To someone that likes metal then the metal influences will matter more. An alt fan will find those influences more important. I like music. I like a lot of genres. I'm not biased in the history nor influences of those bands. I used to listen to some metal and AC/DC in fact....and I moved on because they added nothing new. Same old same old sound. A band doesn't have to drastically change but they should do something creative and new. Hell Metallica for all the hate their new music gets from old fans is still at least interesting.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LJS9502_basic

@scottpsfan14 said:

What do you mean when you say interesting? Also, AC/DC is hard rock yes. As is Black Sabbath. But AC/DC are also rock n roll and sound totally different. They are not metal and embody almost nothing to do with the genre. Loud guitars are about as far as it goes.

Again, I'm not downplaying The Cure. They did influence goth and other alternative rock bands. But all I'm saying is that AC/DC had a bigger impact on music than The Cure. They aren't comparable though.

Saying something isn't interesting is opinion. I'm very interested in AC/DC. What embodies interest to you? If it's musical complexity, then The Cure is no Yes, ELP, or Pink Floyd. Far from it. If you have a formula that works and people like, then why not stick with it? AC/DC are not one of the biggest selling bands of all time for no reason. They are doing something right.

But the bottom line is, I don't close my self away or 'evolve' my music tastes over the years. I have liked AC/DC since being a small child. But have moved on to like many many different bands and artists over the years while, get this, STILL liking AC/DC. You get people who say "oh I used to listen to Nirvana, but now I've moved on to more 'complex' and 'interesting' music". What does that even mean? I say like what you like. There isn't a limited capacity of music you can like you know. Why is it I can listen to AC/DC then go and listen to Eminem? Withouty any jetlagg.

Actually AC/DC calls themselves rock n roll. Historically when discussing music what we currently have is called rock...rock n roll tends to mean 50s music..ie Buddy Holly etc. So let's not use AC/DCs use of the term and stick to the currently accepted way to describe the music.....Both of those bands are more correctly hard rock. I didn't call AC/DC metal...I said they were one of the bands that influenced the development of the genre. There is a difference.

Bigger impact? How many new pure hard rock bands exist today? I am talking new...not established bands that might still hang around....ie like AC/DC. You are using influence to suit your personal bias. The Cure has certainly influenced bands in genres such as goth as well as post punk revival, dark wave etc. Perhaps it's because you are not aware of those genres and if AC/DC is an indication of your interests it's likely you are not. I'm not saying you don't listen to other music but from your comments here you don't seem to have the knowledge of other genres and their development. You seem to downplay those other genres. If I'm wrong then my apologies. But I can only go on what you are saying here.

As for the rest of your post...yes. Everyone will have a different opinion as to what interests them. Just because you like AC/DC does not mean that will make the music interesting to someone else. They continue to basically play the same music over and over and TBH sometimes the words need to kick in to get which song it really is they sound that similar. I can tell other bands by their sound/vocalist but AC/DC takes same to a whole other level. And I think it's your love of the band that stops you from saying they do sound alike in their songs.

As for evolving...I will say this. Like most tastes/interests people do evolve over the years and find things more interesting/complex then when they were young. Yes...there are people who do get stuck in the past as well and don't evolve. It matters little to me which category individuals align themselves with. People have the right to choose their own entertainment. But....they should expose themselves to as much new entertainment as possible...and sometimes yes....they find out what they like isn't the most complex thing in the world...and some do leave the old behind because of that. There is nothing wrong with that either. In fact....sometimes it is stretching.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LJS9502_basic

@scottpsfan14 said:

I am aware how many genres were formed. I am just a fan of AC/DC. And that seems to make you think that's all I like. Not even remotely true. I like AC/DC better than The Cure, but that doesn't mean that I hate The Cure or any other bands of it's kind. Or form a vendetta and ignorance to other music. The way I see it is, people like what they like, but exploring other options as well is always best.

Now, you are correct. There are more alternative rock bands out there than there is pure hard rock like AC/DC. But the fact of the matter is that AC/DC are so unique that they are almost a genre of their own. Airborne are the closest to them and all they do is recycle 30 year old AC/DC songs and re-title them (inb4thats whatacdcdotoo). AC/DC took a niche and ran with it. People caught on to it and ended up loving it. Others didn't. Since AC/DC's music is so simplistic in structure and harmonically, they have pretty much scraped the barrel of every riff that suits that type of music. Little room is left for new comers.

But those alt rock bands, while they might be influenced by The Cure, don't sound out right like The Cure. Most bands have many influences and only small fragments of their music will show. I'm sure Stereophonics, The Libertines, etc are all influenced by The Cure some what, but their music typically is totally different in sound. For instance, The White Stripes are influenced by AC/DC. I don't hear it. But they are and acknowledge elements of DCs music in their own. Metallica, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Motley Crue, all that metal shit are influenced by AC/DC. That is true. It's perhaps the power and loud music part of it.

I get what you are trying to convey. You feel that I'm ignoring genres of music in favor of AC/DC lol. No I'm not. Band's like The Smiths, The Cure, The Cult, The Stone Roses, are all very important towards whole genres of music still loved today. By people including myself. We just have different opinions on one band and you think I'm some fan boy. I just love AC/DC and their chunky riffs and sound. Might be the unsifisticated cave man in me, I don't know. But I also love many other genres of music and rock/alt bands.

Well no I did not form that opinion because you are an AC/DC fan per se but because you are downplaying influence. Whether you like The Cure or not they have been influential on their music genre.

*sigh* AC/DC is not their own genre....nor are they really unique. At the start of AC/DCs career they were certainly not in a niche genre. I somehow think you look at the band as they are today and ignore the music that existed when they were created. Here's a quick history lesson...blues musicians created the genesis of the genre around the 50s. Black Sabbath gave it the heavier sound due to Tommy Iommi's injury. Kind of an accident that spawned a sound. Bands such as Led Zeppelin, The Who, Deep Purple, and AC/DC went down that same road....but they were by no means niche. Rainbow, Cream, Rolling Stones and a lot more in the 70s further developed the hard rock genre. If you were listening to rock stations during that time you basically heard hard rock, prog rock, psychedelic rock bands with some Beatles thrown in....pop rock I suppose. Though they did develop more along the lines of rock. This is by no means all encompassing....skipped the country rock influences like Eagles etc....but it is a primer. AC/DC did not invent the sound. They were influenced by it and made it their own...but by no means does the genre owe itself to AC/DC.

Okay I got to your third paragraph and I see the problem. You think influenced by means a direct copy. That is not true. Or maybe one has to be attuned to a band to hear their sound buried in another band...I don't know. I can tell you that I have heard The Cure influence in bands....I'll give you an example. Cruxshadows. When I first listened to that band I could definitely hear The Cure in their. Now not so much because the band has developed but if you want a band wherein I heard The Cure...there it is. Also...I have not heard any band sound exactly like AC/DC so that must mean they didn't influence anyone. FYI...I'm not saying they did not....but I was using your standard...which isn't really the way to go. Being influenced by a band does not mean the new bands plays like the old band.

Again Black Sabbath is considered the first influence to metal. They are frequently cited as the pioneers of that genre. And existed about five or six years give or take before AC/DC. So if any band should be given props for the eventual evolution of metal it should be Sabbath...though I think other bands did contribute.

I have no problem with your love of AC/DC...I did state it was all opinion several posts ago. I just don't like how you downplay other genres and which bands were influential therein. After all few alt bands...if any...claim AC/DC influenced them....so your saying AC/DC is "more" influential bugs me because they are only influential to a specific genre. Not music in general.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@scottpsfan14 said:

To keep this short, my views are this: I like AC/DC. They are the legends they are for a reason. Back In Black riff is one of the most recognizable riffs ever. That's just the way it is. Who else sounds like AC/DC? They are unique. Just like Zeppelin, The Stones etc. That said, I like The Cure and some of their tunes. I like a lot of alt rock bands and other genres. The Cure probably directly influenced a lot of bands. No doubt. I am not downplaying them at all. There are a huge wealth of bands that very well could sight some influence of The Cure

But The Cult are as influencial to goth as The Cure are, yet they are ironically influenced by AC/DC.

The Cult? The Cult was a hard rock band that added a bit of goth rock to the music. The Cult mixed Zep with The Doors. Did they add some touches of goth? Sure. But they really aren't one of the pioneers of the sound. They added that sound but it already existed. Goth developed in the late 70s. The Cult formed in 1983. They were late comers to the scene not innovators. The four main influences on goths early development are Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Joy Division, and The Cure.

Like the song Fire Women by the way.....

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LJS9502_basic

@scottpsfan14 said:

She Sells Sanctuary. Dat riff. Bliss! Fire Woman is a goodu'n too. Try Billy Idol, White Wedding and Rebel Yell. No faulting them. But yeah, The Cure are more infused with goth as they pretty much invented it.

So what are the main types of music you like to listen to? You like The Police? They are one of my all time favorites.

Oh She Sells Sanctuary is a good song as well....I just like Fire Woman more. I have heard Billy Idol. ...both of those songs. He has some decent music....The Police depends on the song. Roxanne is annoying but Every Breath You Take and Invisible Sun stand out...but they have some other okay music.

As far as what I listen to mostly.....The Cure, Joy Division, Depeche Mode, Placebo, Echo and the Bunnymen and Psychedelic Furs, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam for older bands....Black Keys, Muse, Bloc Party, NIN...really too many to name. And I always forget some.:P

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

They never caught my attention.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

Whole Lotta Rosie

Nuff said.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I prefer Alternating Current myself.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#36 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Not a fan. They're super bland.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#37 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

Loading Video...

TBH, I think those vocals are hideous and I think the instrumental, while not "bad," sounds fairly generic.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#38  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@harry_james_pot said:

Nah, I don't like them.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24940 Posts

Yep, especially the Bon Scott era.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By brimmul777

@ArmoredCore55 said:

Bon Scott was the better singer,in my opinion.I think Dirty Deeds and Let There Be Rock was AC/DC's best albums.I love all of their music,but I find Back in Black way overated,but still great.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

Loading Video...

The guitar sound is catchy. Other than that, damn that's horrible.

Rock genre is mostly screaming crap to be honest. The only rock band I like is warpaint, and I'm sure by strict rock standards their music is not really considered real rock. I can see the dismay on rock enthusiasts' faces regarding this sacrilege against hardcore rock.

Hallenbeck77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Hallenbeck77  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 16879 Posts

For those who are fans, they announced that Malcolm Young is officially stepping down from the group due to his illness.

http://m.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/ac-dc-guitarist-malcolm-young-won-return-band-due-illness-article-1.1951281

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#43 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I love me some AC/ DC. Some of their songs are overplayed but damn they have some good ones.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24940 Posts

@brimmul777 said:

@ArmoredCore55 said:

Bon Scott was the better singer,in my opinion.I think Dirty Deeds and Let There Be Rock was AC/DC's best albums.I love all of their music,but I find Back in Black way overated,but still great.

I think Bon Scott had the better voice, too. Sad he died. Brian Johnson is still decent, though.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#45 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Dad Rock. Who cares.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#46 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

@scottpsfan14 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

@scottpsfan14 said:

She Sells Sanctuary. Dat riff. Bliss! Fire Woman is a goodu'n too. Try Billy Idol, White Wedding and Rebel Yell. No faulting them. But yeah, The Cure are more infused with goth as they pretty much invented it.

So what are the main types of music you like to listen to? You like The Police? They are one of my all time favorites.

Oh She Sells Sanctuary is a good song as well....I just like Fire Woman more. I have heard Billy Idol. ...both of those songs. He has some decent music....The Police depends on the song. Roxanne is annoying but Every Breath You Take and Invisible Sun stand out...but they have some other okay music.

As far as what I listen to mostly.....The Cure, Joy Division, Depeche Mode, Placebo, Echo and the Bunnymen and Psychedelic Furs, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam for older bands....Black Keys, Muse, Bloc Party, NIN...really too many to name. And I always forget some.:P

The Police - Driven to tears. Get it done. You will enjoy.

From there, I like The Cure, Smashing pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Black Keys, Bloc Party. Not a fan of MUSE and Depeche Mode though. I don't like Radiohead either. Too depressing lol. Police - Message in a bottle is so funky I can't help but adore it.

LONG LIVE BLOC PARTY

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By brimmul777

@PSP107 said:

Is it a pop or metal band?

You can't honestly be serious.lol.