are we becoming Borg?

#1 Posted by magicalclick (22430 posts) -

We share information on FB and Twitter all the time and read other people's post all the time. And we read biased news all the time. Keep getting brain washed by the news we follow and the twitts we subscribed. Pretty soon, everyone will wear a Google Glass and get brain washed 24/7. We are turning Borg. We think we have individualism, but, how often we go outside of our box? Most of us just stay in a specific group. While not completely single minded, but, we are pretty much Borgs with few major factions. It doesn't matter what our leader does, we will try to justify it before we criticize it.

#2 Posted by lamprey263 (23104 posts) -

No, there's too many contentious issues for us to even be considered Borg. Sheep, maybe, but not Borg.

#3 Posted by Master_Live (14163 posts) -

You need to check what you are doing, then check what you think others are doing. Stop generalizing and go play outside.

#4 Posted by TheFlush (5509 posts) -

We think we have individualism, but, how often we go outside of our box? Most of us just stay in a specific group.

How is it any different now than before the birth of internet? Social pressure and grouping has existed since the dawn of mankind. Don't be such a drama queen.

#5 Posted by magicalclick (22430 posts) -

I guess sheep is a better description, except the sheep are sharing information much faster than before.

#6 Posted by foxhound_fox (87626 posts) -

The Borg are machines connected to a hive consciousness and only the Queen can think for herself.

We are not close to being the Borg in the slightest.

#7 Posted by Dogswithguns (10700 posts) -

and.. we glued to a laptop or PC monitor.

#8 Edited by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

Mmmmm 7 of 9, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One....can assimilate me all she wants.

#9 Posted by foxhound_fox (87626 posts) -

Mmmmm 7 of 9, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix Zero-One....can assimilate me all she wants.

Also this.

#10 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1748 posts) -

i'm immune to Borg

#11 Posted by jimkabrhel (15417 posts) -

Go back and watch TNG. We're nothing like the Borg.

#12 Posted by Sword-Demon (6963 posts) -

No, we're not even close yet.

But, by 2050-2100, I think there's a decent chance that we'll develop into a hive or group mind, though not necessarily like the Borg.

#13 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

I'am not but a lot of people are emotionless mindless drones, can't think for themselves mindlessly bellive anything what the queen says the mainstream media, the Government, and think what they tell you. Some people are so emotionless that they would walk all over people for money, and think what the Government doing is OK. Some people on here would attack anyone who says something different what the mainstream view is because they are easily programmed like a machine. Now with transhumanism coming into place some people will even look like them

#14 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12820 posts) -

We share information on FB and Twitter all the time and read other people's post all the time.

Nope. I don't do social media. When I Google my name, all that comes up is somebody else with that name. I come from the old school where you simply don't share personal details with the internets.

That other people do it doesn't effect me. I'm quite happy in my little secure bubble.