Are these kitchen habbits normal in homes?

#1 Edited by MDK12345 (593 posts) -

To eat with mouth open, every single bite.

Burping. Putting hand on butt/lower back for warmth.

Licking fingers. Using own fork to get stuff out of everyone's dish.

Occasionally eating bread that fell on the floor.

My dad does these things. It's horrible for me. The reason I never mentioned to him about him eating with his mouth open is because I've already told him about all the other things and he gets pissed. He just never stops. For some reason my brother, sister, and mom think it's okay. They said I'm going overboard. I don't think I am. I can't stand any of these things. And my seat is right next to him and I hear the constant crunching and lip smacking. It's horrible. Why? Just how does it benefit someone to live with these manners? He says I don't live in the real world & cooks do all kinds of gross stuff. So that means it's okay to do that? I would NEVER date a girl that did any of this. I'm thinking maybe I should just eat real loud with my mouth open so he knows how it's like to hear it?

#2 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1748 posts) -

People who bite their spoons are the worst.

#3 Posted by Korvus (3228 posts) -

Growing up, my family did none of this and now at my own house, we still don't. I mean, everybody burps, but there's the "put your hand in front of your mouth, try to make it silent and apologise afterwards" and there's the "Wow, did you guys hear that? Bet you can't do better!" way of burping...

#4 Edited by Master_Live (14199 posts) -

Are you the same dude from before? Did you had that little chat with your father or not?

#5 Edited by Korvus (3228 posts) -
#6 Posted by whipassmt (13996 posts) -

You probably won't be able to get him to change all four of those behaviors at once. So you'll have to put up with some of it. Maybe it would be best to focus on one or two of those habits and see if you could persuade your father to change those. But try not to sound mean doing so.

#7 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6755 posts) -

It's pretty freaking disgusting to eat bread that fell on the floor.

And no, neither I or any of my family do any of those. Table manners are a thing.

#8 Edited by hippiesanta (9812 posts) -

my dad suck out every little piece of meat and marrow of chicken bone and grind it with his teeth... and leave it on the table instead on his plate ..... not only dining table but table in the living room ....while watching TV ... and expect us to clean it for him.

#9 Posted by Korvus (3228 posts) -

@hippiesanta: If I'm not intruding, what is his reasoning for not cleaning after himself?

#10 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9520 posts) -

Are you the same dude from before? Did you had that little chat with your father or not?

lol I remember that thread, but wasnt that last year? This guys's account is from february

#11 Edited by MDK12345 (593 posts) -

@Shottayouth13- said:

It's pretty freaking disgusting to eat bread that fell on the floor.

And no, neither I or any of my family do any of those. Table manners are a thing.

I don't understand why it's not in ours. See one time my friend told me I was eating with mouth open and was slurping. From that day on I made sure to never do it again. I was just really hungry. But wow my dad just, I thought he would have been taught when he was a kid. My sister says I just have OCD. The thing is I never really noticed how my dad ate, but it seems like his eating has gotten louder. And I don't see how eating with mouth open is good. And My sister says her jaw problem makes her eat with her mouth open. She isn't as loud, but she still eats open.

#12 Edited by lamprey263 (23201 posts) -

Didn't you already make a thread on this? If it bugs you, move out, you're a big boy, right?

#13 Edited by hippiesanta (9812 posts) -

@korvus said:

@hippiesanta: If I'm not intruding, what is his reasoning for not cleaning after himself?

He's your typical man's man .....

don't cook, don't do own laundry, read newspaper feet on table, always out with douchey male friends, money minded, always right even if wrong... but cant start a computer. lolz .... but I'm so used to that egoistic situation ........

#14 Posted by Korvus (3228 posts) -

@hippiesanta: Have you decided what to give him for Christmas? I'd say either a ballsack scratcher or a spit bucket....all manly men must have those...

Seriously though, and I know the man is your father so I apologise, but it's sad that there are still men behaving that way...we should have evolved past that by now. I remember my own father; I've spent years thinking "There must be something, ANYTHING that this man can teach me, right? He can't be a complete loser" then I reached the conclusion that everybody gives good examples; some people just give good examples on what to do and others give good examples on what not to do. Guess which category my father fit in?

As the years went by I learned so much from him, and in a way, a big part of the person I am today is because of him...seeing him stumble into pitfall after pitfall and me being there to witness the consequences of being a grade A jackass prevented me from ever being anything close to the "man" he was.

#15 Edited by hippiesanta (9812 posts) -

@korvus said:

@hippiesanta: Have you decided what to give him for Christmas? I'd say either a ballsack scratcher or a spit bucket....all manly men must have those...

Seriously though, and I know the man is your father so I apologise, but it's sad that there are still men behaving that way...we should have evolved past that by now. I remember my own father; I've spent years thinking "There must be something, ANYTHING that this man can teach me, right? He can't be a complete loser" then I reached the conclusion that everybody gives good examples; some people just give good examples on what to do and others give good examples on what not to do. Guess which category my father fit in?

As the years went by I learned so much from him, and in a way, a big part of the person I am today is because of him...seeing him stumble into pitfall after pitfall and me being there to witness the consequences of being a grade A jackass prevented me from ever being anything close to the "man" he was.

I dont see my father stumble into pitfall..... seems that he's winning all the time and will not accept defeat.. He was born before world war 2 and u can guess it .... conservative.... no swearing... no smoking ... no metal attitude ..... no drugs bla bla blla ... most of my classmates keep avoiding me because of my control freak parents / school teacher... and makes me go nuts and nerdy ...... and yes.... no nutty attitude at home ... behave like everything is normal... the only person who are allowed behave like a nut is himself.

But now things cool down a bit .... he's getting old .... lot's of grandkids that soften his heart, I do my thing and he do his .... ..... me ...now swearing a lot with my free spirited multiracial friends (they are the one who actually made me who I am today...or else I'll stuck as a nice guy finish last) ..... and as for my father ... he's now taking holiday at Israel with my mom and his friends

give him a ballsack scratcher or a spit bucket (as you recommend) i dont think so .... he spend lot's of money for my education and some other stuff ........

fck "blog it"

#16 Edited by Korvus (3228 posts) -

@hippiesanta: I apologise if I offended you. Turns out your father is better than mine. I don't necessarily agree that doing something right gives you the right to do other things wrong, but that's not what's being discussed here. Again, my apologies, no offense intended =)

#17 Posted by hippiesanta (9812 posts) -

@korvus said:

@hippiesanta: I apologise if I offended you. Turns out your father is better than mine. I don't necessarily agree that doing something right gives you the right to do other things wrong, but that's not what's being discussed here. Again, my apologies, no offense intended =)

I'm not offended lol ... I actually feels better....... I'm glad typing my sick sad world story .... something that I don't really discuss to anyone ... and it feels like a good therapy ..... thanks for reading ,,,, phew....

May I go back to my evil mode now... sir? ... lol

#18 Posted by Korvus (3228 posts) -

@hippiesanta: We all have stuff that we feel we can't discuss with others, and sometimes we end up projecting our misconceptions onto others (e.g. my previous posts XD), so if you feel like you managed to open up even a bit, it might make a big difference further along the road =)

So you want to go back to evil mode huh? Why should I give a fuck? piss off... ;-)

#19 Posted by GazaAli (22540 posts) -

I see you still haven't reconciled with your father regarding his eating habits. I sympathize with you, but keep posting about it here won't make it go away. You either do something about it if possible or just learn to live with it.

#20 Posted by hippiesanta (9812 posts) -

@GazaAli: I always admire your dark comment

#21 Edited by GazaAli (22540 posts) -

@GazaAli: I always admire your dark comment

Well, I'm glad you're able to enjoy them.

#22 Posted by Evil_Saluki (4878 posts) -

I've thrown a butter knife at someone eating horrid in a restaurant and I've heard in Russia someone got shot in cinema for doing it. I thinking I would of shot him but all I had was a butter knife.

#23 Posted by PimpHand_Gamer (279 posts) -

Everyone in my house burps out loud or even tries to do it loudly but we don't do it anywhere else or if there is company over. People that have bad table manners as adults regardless of who is within presence just flat out don't give a crap and likely never will regardless.

#24 Posted by Judas_ (312 posts) -

Pleasantly suprised that a thread with the word "kitchen" isn't spam...................

#25 Posted by WickedChainy (288 posts) -

I think this is good for you. You're going to have to learn how to deal with it because everyone in the world does a few things that are going to really annoy you. For your own sanity and happiness later in life you're going to have to learn how to ignore it. I can guarantee that if you can't learn to deal with small things like this that annoy you then you'll never be in a happy relationship because you will always find flaws that you can't get over.

#26 Posted by MDK12345 (593 posts) -

So it's starting to get awkward. Not everyone chews with their mouth open. Quite a few out do though. It's really inappropriate. I have a hard time with it when my dad does it. And he can see that I'm reacting. He thinks I'm being weird. He keeps asking me, ''What's wrong? Why aren't you eating. TELL ME!'' And I can't seem to tell him. Because I know he will just think I'm being idiotic and he won't stop anyways. Every single bite he takes, I can hear. My sister and mom said they don't notice. They said I'm being extreme. I cannot get my mom to tell my dad to stop. It's bothering me. I can hear every single bite, I can hear his lips. GROSS!!!!!! In fact when my sister and I were the only ones eating, I think she did it too to annoy me and she was eating 10 times louder and stuffing her face. Sick.

I'm stuck guys. I know he won't listen. It was already too much when I asked him to stop things such as grabbing food with his hands or own fork instead of a universal spoon. Plus he licks his fingers, which I really don't like when anyone does that. Like he'll even lick the whole finger. Beats me how some people don't think it's a big deal. How did he never get taught as a kid? I'm upset that he never taught me, I learned it on my own. How come only now I'm noticing his eating? I'm thinking he didn't do it as much before. Maybe he is so into the tv that he can't tell what he's doing. Also you won't believe me when I say this but another thing he likes to do is put his hand on the skin of his butt cheek while at dinner. He thinks it keeps him warm. See when I tell him he does these things he tells me I'm crazy and need to grow up and get over it.

#27 Posted by jasean79 (2359 posts) -

@mdk12345: he tells me I'm crazy and need to grow up and get over it.

Sounds like a smart man.

#28 Posted by Korvus (3228 posts) -

@mdk12345: Are you still stuck on this? Why do you even eat at the same table as he does? If he's free to eat like a pig then you should at least have the right to eat in your room? That way everybody else can eat the way they like without bothering you and without you bothering them.

#29 Posted by jasean79 (2359 posts) -

@korvus said:

@mdk12345: Are you still stuck on this? Why do you even eat at the same table as he does? If he's free to eat like a pig then you should at least have the right to eat in your room? That way everybody else can eat the way they like without bothering you and without you bothering them.

Because then the OP would have nothing to complain/post about. :D

#30 Posted by Korvus (3228 posts) -

@jasean79: He could complain that it's not fair that he has to eat in his room =P

#31 Posted by jasean79 (2359 posts) -

@korvus: Don't give the lad any ideas!

#32 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Burping and licking the fingers (assuming you cleaned your hands before sitting down to eat) is okay with me, but say excuse me when you burp. All the other shit would get you kicked from my table. Seems as if his parents did a shitty ass job of raising him.

#33 Posted by foxhound_fox (87750 posts) -

My only issue comes from eating with the mouth open (assuming one can breathe through their nose). Something about the sound of it irritates me.