Are there any metal fans around here?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k41m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 k41m
Member since 2011 • 879 Posts

Heres a band that not many people (that I know) know about but they are definitely worth a try, I'm not sure which sub-genre they fall into but they are a small-time (that should have been HUGE) band from New Orleans.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#2  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

GameSpot is filled to the brim with metal fans.

stationplay_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 stationplay_4
Member since 2014 • 444 Posts

i am a metal fan. more of a thrash guy though. not into the growling screaming stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c73e1dc0ab05
deactivated-5c73e1dc0ab05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5c73e1dc0ab05
Member since 2013 • 48 Posts

I love metal! And thanks for the post OP, I haven't listened to Acid Bath in quite a while. Refreshing to say the least.

Recently, I've been listening to Isis and Abominable Putridity.

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

I like Progressive and Symphonic metal. Love 80's Hair metal.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

Sadly, one of those genres I can't get into. It looks/sounds fun, but I just don't get it.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@4myAmuzumament said:

Sadly, one of those genres I can't get into. It looks/sounds fun, but I just don't get it.

It's masculinity defined in musical form. At least in my opinion and experience. Certain kinds of music spur me on in different ways. Nearly all metal, especially of the extreme varieties, pumps me up like a testosterone booster.

Here is a band that I discovered recently in anticipation of the Metal Alliance Tour coming through town in 9 days:

Loading Video...

I can't wait for their first studio album.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GreySeal9

@4myAmuzumament said:

I do get why people like it, but it's not my thing either. I like prettiness in my music and most metal just doesn't have that. Plus, metal that does have pretty parts sounds more like prog rock to me, but whatever...

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts

@k41m: always looking forward at ur topic....

Big Metal fan here .....

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Loading Video...

This song is for people who like heavy metal.

k41m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By k41m

Do you guys like this?

Loading Video...

k41m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 k41m

@Iszdope said:

^ Meh.

Gotta admit she has a really good scream though.

lonewolf604

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By lonewolf604
Member since 2007 • 8747 Posts

I like a few metal bands, like Megadeth, Slayer, Dream Theatre, and some famous shredders that come from a metal background like Paul Gilbert. Its quite sad that when people think of metal they only think of the extreme genres like Death Metal, Black Metal, and all the -core hybrids. Yet one of the most frequent requests I get asked to play on guitar is Iron Man by Sabbath.

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24940 Posts

I've heard about Acid Bath a few years ago. They're a good band.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

'any metal fans around here'

Yep. Just saw Death Angel and Kreator last night (and I'm still sore in parts...).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR6C6NyCdlk

Folk, death, and thrash would be my main sub-genres.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#19  Edited By vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

@Celldrax said:

Yep. Just saw Death Angel and Kreator last night (and I'm still sore in parts...).

Jealous....love me some Death Angel. Saw them back in 89' at a very small venue and got to meet them. I just remember how short they all were lol.

I just hate the whole cookie monster vocals in a lot of the stuff people are posting here. Give me some good old 80's Metallica any day.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GreySeal9

@vfibsux said:

@Celldrax said:

Jealous....love me some Death Angel. Saw them back in 89' at a very small venue and got to meet them. I just remember how short they all were lol.

I just hate the whole cookie monster vocals in a lot of the stuff people are posting here. Give me some good old 80's Metallica any day.

A lot of metal fans talk shit about Metallica, but I also think they are a hell of a lot more listenable than the stuff that people on this forum post. I actually like certain Metallica songs.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#22  Edited By LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

acid bath's paegan terrorism tactics had some songs that would have been big radio hits if it weren't for the lyrics.

anyway, i like blotted science , maudlin of the well , and stinking lizaveta.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

I'm a huge metal fan with a diverse set of sub-genres that I love listening to. However, when it comes to metal with growling vocals I am pretty picky, because it needs to bring something unique or amazing to the table musically and lyrically for me to enjoy what I'm hearing.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts
@vfibsux said:

@Celldrax said:

I'm jelly you got to see them in their original format (as with any 80's bay area thrash band, really).

Shame they haven't quite got the success they've hoped for, but good to see that both Rob and Mark are still willing to carry the band after all these years and still making albums.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 foxhound_fox

@vfibsux said:

Cookie Monster? LOL

That's new.

It's harsh vocals to go along with harsh music. Clean crooning doesn't mix with the dissonant, atypical rhythms of death metal. I used to have an issue with harsh vocals. Then I started listening to Pantera and Sepultura, then moved into Machine Head, Vader and Death. Then it was all "downhill" from there.

In 8 days I'm going to the Metal Alliance Tour with Behemoth, 1349, INQUISITION, Goatwhore and Black Crown Initiate. My first true extreme metal show. I can't wait.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
@foxhound_fox said:

@vfibsux said:

Cookie Monster? LOL

That's new.

Nah I've seen people say that for years.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 foxhound_fox

@chessmaster1989 said:
@foxhound_fox said:

@vfibsux said:

Cookie Monster? LOL

That's new.

Nah I've seen people say that for years.

That's neat. I haven't.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KHAndAnime

Any Defeated Sanity fans? This band completely took my playlist by storm the last year. I feel I've yet to hear death metal more competent.

Loading Video...

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

Acid Bath is stoner/sludge metal. Stuff like (THE!) Black Sabbath, Melvins, Corrosion of Conformity, Kyuss (to a degree, though a much more rock oriented group, awesome as ****), Electric Wizard, Bongzilla etc.

Mastodon, Black Label Society, Alice in Chains etc. are sludge influenced, though not pure sludge.

Otherwise yeah, just blasting some Dying Fetus and going through a pretty giant Mastodon phase right now lol

Lance2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Lance2500
Member since 2009 • 680 Posts

Lately I've been listening to some of the old school metal like Ozzy Osbourne, Black Sabbath, Dio and Judas Priest.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By KHAndAnime
@Assassin_87 said:

I'm a huge metal fan with a diverse set of sub-genres that I love listening to. However, when it comes to metal with growling vocals I am pretty picky, because it needs to bring something unique or amazing to the table musically and lyrically for me to enjoy what I'm hearing.

My experience with metal is that the majority of the bands bringing something new to the table musically are the ones doing extreme vocals. For example, there are no clean vocal bands that musically sound anything like Defeated Sanity, Esoteric, Skagos, Blut Aus Nord, Mutiilation, etc. - I could go on forever really. The bands sticking to clean vocals are for the most part sticking to musical ideas and song structures that have already been done millions of times before. Of course there are thousands of bands with extreme vocals that bring nothing to the table - but if you want experimentation in metal, you pretty much have to listen to harsh vocals or listen to another genre altogether.

I'd say there's too much good metal music you're missing out on if you don't have the ear for harsher vocals. The majority of the metal bands making music these days learned to experiment with their sound and taste - and learned to evolve, so they aren't pumping out metal that sounds identical to music we already have (Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, etc.) It helps a lot if you know how to appreciate instrumentation and hold more appreciation for composition and atmosphere than catchy choruses and music that generally sounds aesthetically pleasant. Once you've hit that point, you'll begin to appreciate contrast in types of sound and composition - and notice that bands that can sound "harsh" and "pretty" bring a lot more to the table musically than bands that sounds "pretty" all the time, due to their wider musical palette. The harsh aesthetic brings out the prettiness of the music, and vice versa...