Are Some Reality TV Shows Training People to Be A@#Holes?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Heroldp813 (1930 posts) -

Everytime I see a show on its the same conflict.

Followed by yelling and arguing...

#2 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3720 posts) -

I think it's really likely, especially with stupid women. I've seen alot of women who aren't intelligent act similar to what I've seen in Reality TV.

A bigger problem is that people watch these shows to basically feel better about themselves because the people there are pieces of sh1t, and that discourages them from making imporvements in their own lives.

#3 Posted by jimkabrhel (15416 posts) -

It's more likely that those shows are casted to have a lot of drama and conflict, and the writing increases that. Reality TV isn't really unscripted, or real in any way.

#4 Posted by LJS9502_basic (149958 posts) -
Reality shows suck....so do the people who watch them.
#5 Posted by JML897 (33120 posts) -
It's more likely that those shows are casted to have a lot of drama and conflict, and the writing increases that. jimkabrhel
Yeah. They're not going to put a bunch of well-mannered easy-going people on these types of reality shows because watching people get along with each other for a few months makes for pretty boring television.
#6 Posted by johnd13 (7885 posts) -

They certainly don' t convey the best image and messages.

#7 Posted by comp_atkins (31181 posts) -
they cast idiots for these shows because that's what people want to watch.
#8 Posted by Angie7F (1120 posts) -

I think so.

I also think that reality shows make peole expect drama and therefore can have an effect where people will act more aggresively or inappropiately than before being exposed to reality shows. 

But i am over generalising. It is like saying games cause gun shootings.

But the thing I noticed is, FOX japan started "Japan's NExt Beauty" a spin off of America's next top model.

It is soooo boring because everyone behaves politely and there is no drama.

So I think it is a cultural thing.

#9 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -
they cast idiots for these shows because that's what people want to watch. comp_atkins
Yeah, this. The people on the show are assholes to begin with, though that doesn't stop the writers from encouraging more asshole behavior.
#10 Posted by gamerguru100 (10450 posts) -

Reality shows suck....so do the people who watch them.LJS9502_basic
That might be an unfair statement. I'm sure many people watch these shows to make them feel better about themselves. However, the shows and the "stars" do suck. They're the epitome of pathetic first world rich people "problems". These reality TV stars should take a trip to Africa, Latin America, or South/Southeast Asia and see what problems really look like. They get shit tons of cash by acting like chimpanzees.

EDIT: I take that last part back. Chimps are more intelligent than they are. :P 

#11 Posted by comp_atkins (31181 posts) -
[QUOTE="comp_atkins"]they cast idiots for these shows because that's what people want to watch. 1PMrFister
Yeah, this. The people on the show are assholes to begin with, though that doesn't stop the writers from encouraging more asshole behavior.

people eat it up
#12 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

Those shows appeal to the very same people that read magazines like Us, People or the other countless rags and magazines and TV shows that pay paparazzi to take pictures or video of stars.

#13 Posted by Jimn_tonic (819 posts) -

Reality shows suck....so do the people who watch them.LJS9502_basic

I think they are pretty entertaining if done properly, like "To Catch A Predator".

The problem with a lot of reality TV, is it attempts to make the mundane entertaining, and it usually fails.