Are people too sensitive in todays world?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

I saw this topic on yahoo http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/latest-late-night-host-to-come-under-fire--conan-o-brien-slammed-for-tweet-about-muslim-marvel-superhero-173752972.html about how conan tweeted about a muslim super hero, and people whined about it so much that they're reporting it on yahoo /:

I feel like people just can't take jokes/criticism anymore, and I see crap like this all the time now.

bob_toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 bob_toeback
Member since 2006 • 11287 Posts

I am under the impression people don't actually get offended by this stuff... and rather feel the need to pretend they do. I'm could be wrong, but I hope not.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4220 Posts

@bob_toeback said:

I am under the impression people don't actually get offended by this stuff... and rather feel the need to pretend they do. I'm could be wrong, but I hope not.

I'm under this exact impression as well. I'm assuming it's all pretend. What is built upon a fault structure is also faulty.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 outworld222

@thegerg said:

Maybe. I've been told on this forum that mentioning slavery to a black person is racism.

You're making a mountain of a molehill. I've heard this statement about a zillion times over ten years. Time to let it go.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By outworld222

@thegerg said:

@outworld222 said:

@thegerg said:

Maybe. I've been told on this forum that mentioning slavery to a black person is racism.

You're making a mountain of a molehill. I've heard this statement about a zillion times over ten years. Time to let it go.

I'm simply answering the question. Some people are just too sensitive, and jump at the chance to accuse others of something.

That comes to all races, not just black people. I've seen white people getting annoyed if they thought someone was perceived as being stereotypical about whites. It's all perspective.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 outworld222

@thegerg said:

@outworld222 said:

@thegerg said:

@outworld222 said:

@thegerg said:

I'm simply answering the question. Some people are just too sensitive, and jump at the chance to accuse others of something.

That comes to all races, not just black people. I've seen white people getting annoyed if they thought someone was perceived as being stereotypical about whites. It's all perspective.

Yes, and?

And...that is a bad way to view things. Too many white people these days see themselves as the victims of society, because black culture (And others if I may say) are viewed as encroaching on the white culture. They see minorities as demanding too much. See in the above statement, I said "perceived as being stereotypical about whites." Perception is not reality. But white people have a deep inferiority complex from my experience. So they tend to react very ignorantly to anything they don't like. Look at the Yahoo comments about President Obama. They hate him because he's black dude. (+ being a democrat doesn't help).

Inferiority complex dude.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By outworld222

@thegerg said:

@outworld222: What is a bad way to view things?

Typically White people see black people as asking for too many rights. Some say they are asking for affirmative action. They ask to see the President's birth certificate over and over despite having produced it, and clearly stating he is born in Hawaii. they say Rap sucks, (not my personal style of music or whatever), but there are racial insinuations being played out.

Suddenly, the race card is being played all the time. We got to get along in society to make society a better place. Lincoln said: A house divided against itself cannot stand. And that is true in every sense in every society today.

I'd like to hear your thoughts theGreg. I don't know if you agree with me or not, but I'de like to give it a try.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 outworld222

@thegerg said:

@outworld222: Haha. Maybe next time you should just type out hat you mean instead of referring to it as "that." We're not mind readers here kiddo.

I'm not a kiddo. In fact I'm probably older than you.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 outworld222

So I don't appreciate you call me kiddo.

And also what I type is very clear. I clearly type an explanation after every ambiguous statement I make. Obviously you're no psychic.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 outworld222

@thegerg said:

@outworld222:

wut?

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

If we were too sensitive, there wouldn't be a teenaged female Muslim superhero to tweet about.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 outworld222
@Makhaidos said:

If we were too sensitive, there wouldn't be a teenaged female Muslim superhero to tweet about.

Sorry I didn't understand. What does a tweeting about a Muslim superhero have to do with anything.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 outworld222

@thegerg said:

@outworld222:

"I'd like to hear your thoughts theGreg. I don't know if you agree with me or not, but I'de like to give it a try."

I'm sure we agree on a number of things. Anyway, I just find it interesting how many black people tend to accuse other people of racism when racism has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

What's it about then In your opinion?

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 outworld222

@outworld222 said:

@thegerg said:

@outworld222:

Anyway, I just find it interesting how many black people tend to accuse other people of racism when racism has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#27 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Female Muslim superhero. Wow, I bet the Muslim community is going to have a huge rage boner over this. How dare they empower a woman!

Makhaidos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Makhaidos
Member since 2013 • 2162 Posts

@outworld222 said:
@Makhaidos said:

Sorry I didn't understand. What does a tweeting about a Muslim superhero have to do with anything.

The question about whether or not we are too sensitive today hinges on the people being upset over O'Brien's tweets about the Muslim superhero, right?

I contend that, if we were too sensitive, there's no way in hell that a teenaged Muslim superhero would exist, because that's going to be a touchy subject for *certain people*.

HuggyBear1020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29 HuggyBear1020
Member since 2013 • 467 Posts

I hate how if you disagree with any black person about anything, you are automatically racist. Don't like Obama's policies? RACIST.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

Yes people are way too damned sensitive and they need to toughen the **** up.

I really fear for younger generations that are growing up in this climate that keeps lying to them saying that "everyone wins and everyone is special!". They are in for such a huge fucking reality check when they get to start experiencing the real world it's not even funny. It's actually quite tragic and sad to think about....

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@thegerg said:

@outworld222:

Again, what's what about? We're not mind readers, you need to make it clear what you mean. You seem to have a habit of using pronouns (it, that, etc.) without being clear about what they refer to .

Is the "it" you're asking about my interest?

Is it the accusation of racism?

Is it the racism itself?

Is it the issue at hand?

What's what about?

This is literally the stupidest discussion ever.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@MakeMeaSammitch said:

I saw this topic on yahoo http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/latest-late-night-host-to-come-under-fire--conan-o-brien-slammed-for-tweet-about-muslim-marvel-superhero-173752972.html about how conan tweeted about a muslim super hero, and people whined about it so much that they're reporting it on yahoo /:

I feel like people just can't take jokes/criticism anymore, and I see crap like this all the time now.

Pfft, whatever. You make a living making fun of stuff, sometimes you're gonna make someone mad. Go ahead and assume that you're gonna piss someone off, then just be careful WHO you piss off.

An exercise for you. Try really hard to think of the one single thing that would piss you off the absolute most if someone were to say it to you right now. Take your time with this, really make sure that it's something that would absolutely offend you and then make you angry.

Got it? Okay. Now imagine someone saying that to you, you getting offended, and then everyone telling you that you're just a stupid oversensitive douchebag and that you shouldn't be offended by it. Your obvious response is gonna be "f*** you! Don't tell me what I should be offended by, I f***ing AM offended by it."

Look, I'm all for the freedom to create content that offends people, but there are two big f***ing things that people often overlook. 1) People are gonna get offended or not. 2) Whichever way they feel, watch what happens when you tell them that their feelings are wrong.

And in a world with more than 7 billion people, where people whose job is to make fun of things get an audience of f***ing millions, then you're goddamned right that someone is gonna get offended. Take that as a given. The only thing you need to worry about is it it offends a large enough segment of your audience to hurt you personally. And when that happens, you don't blame the audience for being too sensitive. You accept it as YOUR f***ing fault for being too out of touch with your audience.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

I think people care too much about what others feel. Like people that get so much pissed off that people are offended by stuff. Or when people bitch and moan about celebrity attention

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#35 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts
@outworld222 said:

@thegerg said:

@outworld222 said:

@thegerg said:

@outworld222 said:

@thegerg said:

Yes, and?

And...that is a bad way to view things. Too many white people these days see themselves as the victims of society, because black culture (And others if I may say) are viewed as encroaching on the white culture. They see minorities as demanding too much. See in the above statement, I said "perceived as being stereotypical about whites." Perception is not reality. But white people have a deep inferiority complex from my experience. So they tend to react very ignorantly to anything they don't like. Look at the Yahoo comments about President Obama. They hate him because he's black dude. (+ being a democrat doesn't help).

Inferiority complex dude.

Ignorant generalizations FTL.

@huggybear1020 said:

I hate how if you disagree with any black person about anything, you are automatically racist. Don't like Obama's policies? RACIST.

Ignorant generalizations FTL.

Alienware_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Alienware_fan
Member since 2010 • 1514 Posts

Was it really necessary? People do this kind of things just to get attention.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

What exactly did you say when you mentioned slavery to a back person thegerg?

Also what exactly was the situation with the other incident where you got in trouble for using a families last name? Like what did you say exactly?

GamingTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GamingTitan
Member since 2004 • 657 Posts

yes they are. If you watch some Don Rickles stand up comedy and get offended, then you are to uptight/sensitive~

God I love Don Rickles -

Alienware_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Alienware_fan
Member since 2010 • 1514 Posts

@thegerg said:

@Alienware_fan said:

Was it really necessary? People do this kind of things just to get attention.

He's a comedian. Getting people's attention is part of hi job.

Well I guess hes running out of ideas then, muslim jokes are so lame these days.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43  Edited By tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Yes, with a bit of over-sensationalism thrown in...

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#44 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@[deleted] said:

Yep some people just need to loosen the **** up

I'm loosy goosy my man.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#45 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

He's a f*cking comedian, someone is almost always the brunt of a joke. They need to get over it.