Are conservatives better about buying American goods than liberals?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3688 posts) -

I was reading a newspaper yesturday and it mentioned that the japanese car companies domanate the market on the west coast and in the northeast, which are the most liberal portions of the country. This got me thinking, is that purely coincodence, or are conservatives simply more contious when it comes to buying goods or helping the economy move forward? Buying Chevy rather than Toyota for instance.

Sidenote: if you drive a Prius, you are a pu5sy

#2 Posted by chessmaster1989 (28970 posts) -
I'm pretty sure most people don't pay much attention to where most of the stuff they buy is made. Cars may be one of the very few exceptions.
#3 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
I doubt it. Generally republicans are conservatives, and republicans are generally richer then democrats so I'd say it's quiet the opposite, they love Foxconn.
#4 Posted by mattbbpl (10553 posts) -
I'm pretty sure most people don't pay much attention to where most of the stuff they buy is made. Cars may be one of the very few exceptions.chessmaster1989
Yeah. If anything, it's probably more closely tied to the types of vehicles offered and the various reputations companies have for those types of vehicles. Trucks, in particular, do very well in the midwest and the south, and Chevy and Ford have built up a good reputation amongst many loyal truck buyers.
#5 Posted by Blue-Sky (10314 posts) -

republicans are generally richer then democrats Fightingfan

Completely false.

#6 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] republicans are generally richer then democrats Blue-Sky

Completely false.

ehh. I associate money with Republicans, I have yet to see a non GOP with Bill Gates money.

*Take that back JFK.

#7 Posted by mattbbpl (10553 posts) -
[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] republicans are generally richer then democrats Fightingfan

Completely false.

ehh. I associate money with Republicans, I have yet to see a non GOP with Bill Gates money.

What about Bill Gates? :P I'll throw in Warren Buffett as well.
#8 Posted by ZX81plus3 (174 posts) -
if you drive a Prius, you are a pu5syMakeMeaSammitch
Your not a real man unless your pumping out carcinogenics and melting the ice caps?
#9 Posted by Blue-Sky (10314 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

Completely false.

mattbbpl

For the top 1%, I see it split between industries. energy, banks, manufacturing lean republican; Entertainment, retail, tech lean democrat. For the rest of America, it's pretty even across income levels.

#10 Posted by VanHelsingBoA64 (5455 posts) -
A few of my friends are some of the most conservative people I know and they've stated several times that their favorite cars are JDM. In fact, they hate American cars.
#11 Posted by SilentFireX (1951 posts) -
Not necessarily.
#12 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

Completely false.

mattbbpl

Bill is independent; Warren is Demo.
#13 Posted by Barbariser (6705 posts) -

Seriously who the fvck would care about this kind of comparison? Are conservatives really so desperate for people to find them more "patriotic" than the godless heathen liberals or what?

#14 Posted by dagreenfish (1817 posts) -
Nah, my girlfriend's old man is as conservative as they come, and he loves shopping at wal-mart. Fact of the matter is; if even half the U.S. population were more concerned with buying American over cheaper prices, the U.S. wouldn't have such a trade deficit.
#15 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

I don't know, I just want to know who buys the most German cars.

#16 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3688 posts) -

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]if you drive a Prius, you are a pu5syZX81plus3
Your not a real man unless your pumping out carcinogenics and melting the ice caps?

ironically those cars actually polute more than gas heavy cars because the process of making them and disposing of them creates some nasty biproducts.

Laugh at the prius pu5sy. Laugh!!!

#17 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] republicans are generally richer then democrats Blue-Sky

Completely false.

Actually, it is true.

#18 Posted by cesarexec22 (50 posts) -
mostly all the wealthy people buy audi , bmw and all those other highend cars which do not support the american economy lol
#19 Posted by Nuck81 (5783 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] republicans are generally richer then democrats Fightingfan

Completely false.

*Take that back JFK.

The Leaders of the Republican party are, but the states and districts that vote Republican and contain a majority of voters registered as republican are in general much poorer than democratic ones.
#20 Posted by Nuck81 (5783 posts) -

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"] republicans are generally richer then democrats coolbeans90

Completely false.

Actually, it is true.

No It's not.
#21 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3688 posts) -

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

Completely false.

Nuck81

Actually, it is true.

No It's not.

I dunno, whenever I look at statistics, the most republican states are the the most poor. Mississippi, Alabama, west Virginia, ect.

I bet most of the .1% are republican though.

#22 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="Blue-Sky"]

Completely false.

Nuck81

Actually, it is true.

No It's not.

There is a positive correlation b/w wealth and voting for/identifying as Republican. This isn't exactly surprising considering party platforms.

#23 Posted by Nuck81 (5783 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nuck81"][QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

Actually, it is true.

coolbeans90

No It's not.

There is a positive correlation b/w wealth and voting for/identifying as Republican. This isn't exactly surprising considering party platforms.

As I said that is true for the leaders of the Republican party, and that is certainly the image they want to be associated with, but if you look at the general population that is actually Republican and vote conservative, they trend poorer than Liberals. That's a fact.
#24 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

Actually, it is true.

MakeMeaSammitch

No It's not.

I dunno, whenever I look at statistics, the most republican states are the the most poor. Mississippi, Alabama, west Virginia, ect.

The South is really weird, and is where a substantial amount of the low income GOP votes come from, prob due to social conservatism.

#25 Posted by Rhazakna (11022 posts) -
In my experience, the people who are the most conscious about buying local goods tend to either be rural conservative communitarian types, or metropolitan hipsterish liberals. There's more overlap than you might think.
#26 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3688 posts) -

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

[QUOTE="Nuck81"] No It's not. coolbeans90

The South is really weird, and is where a substantial amount of the low income GOP votes come from, prob due to social conservatism.

don't like 67% of Asians vote democrat though? and they're the best off race financially.

#27 Posted by Nuck81 (5783 posts) -
#28 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="Nuck81"] No It's not. Nuck81

As I said that is true for the leaders of the Republican party, and that is certainly the image they want to be associated with, but if you look at the general population that is actually Republican and vote conservative, they trend poorer than Liberals. That's a fact.

The statistics disagree.

63 percent of voters with an income of less than $30,000 per year voted for Obama. 60 percent with an income of less than $50,000 voted for Obama. Romney had a lead by eight points by those who made more than $50,000. A ten point lead by those making six digits or more. He also took the lead by those making between $50,000 and $100,000 per year. That is p. hard to spin as anything other than a fairly substantially increased likelihood of voting Republican with an increased income.

http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/results/race/president#exit-polls

#29 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]I dunno, whenever I look at statistics, the most republican states are the the most poor. Mississippi, Alabama, west Virginia, ect.

MakeMeaSammitch

don't like 67% of Asians vote democrat though? and they're the best off race financially.

Asians are, like, five percent of the population and the number of those who are wealthy, substantially less. It's easier to cut through the bull sh!t and just look at voting by income level.

#30 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

Coincidentally the poorer states tend to be the most religious as well.Nuck81

Same by countries, usually.

#31 Posted by Nuck81 (5783 posts) -

coolbeans90

The statistics disagree.

63 percent of voters with an income of less than $30,000 per year voted for Obama. 60 percent with an income of less than $50,000 voted for Obama. Romney had a lead by eight points by those who made more than $50,000. A ten point lead by those making six digits or more. He also took the lead by those making between $50,000 and $100,000 per year. That is p. hard to spin as anything other than a fairly substantially increased likelihood of voting Republican with an increased income.

http://www.cnn.com/election/2012/results/race/president#exit-polls

Those are exit polls. Not hard data. Again the facts, and not polls, show that the Poorer states are traditionally republican majority. What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?
#32 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

Those are exit polls. Not hard data. Again the facts, and not polls, show that the Poorer states are traditionally republican majority. What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?Nuck81

Data shows that poor states vote Repulican. It does not show that poor people are more likely to vote Republican. Within those states, minorities, who tend to be poorer than their non-minority counterparts, will vote Democratic. Data shows that the richer people are, the more inclined to vote Republican, identify as Republican. Paul Krugman, a liberal, nobel-winning economist, is of the opinion that the Repulicans win the rich.

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/10/22/income-and-voting/

Exit polls, while imperfect, were not double-digits off. According to those polls, Obama won very low income voters by an order of over thirty points. He lost the six-digit groups by ten.

It is very widely recognized that there is a substantial correlation between higher income and voting Republican. This holds true across racial demographics. Here's a read with a bit of statistical niceties.

http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/research/published/ssqfinal.pdf

And another one:

http://www.stat.columbia.edu/~gelman/research/unpublished/redblue11.pdf

#34 Posted by worlock77 (22544 posts) -

I was reading a newspaper yesturday and it mentioned that the japanese car companies domanate the market on the west coast and in the northeast, which are the most liberal portions of the country. This got me thinking, is that purely coincodence, or are conservatives simply more contious when it comes to buying goods or helping the economy move forward? Buying Chevy rather than Toyota for instance.MakeMeaSammitch

Those Japanese automakers keep opening manufacturing plants here in the States. Meanwhile the last time I bought American (Chrysler) the goddamn thing was made in Mexico.

#35 Posted by airshocker (28348 posts) -

Doubt it. I buy the cheapest brand I like.

#36 Posted by toast_burner (21144 posts) -

You'd have to be an idiot to buy American products, so maybe.

#37 Posted by hoola (6422 posts) -

I've never seen an official survey or study, but I would think conservatives might be slightly better. I know in my state the conservatives often try to purchase American made cars, or atleast cars that are manufactured by american companies, while the liberals don't really care. So it wouldn't surprise me if that buying habit applied to other purchases too.

I know i personally try to buy local or American when i can and when it is reasonable. Just recently I was looking for a new coat. I could buy the Asian one for about $80 or the Canadian for $100. I chose the Canadian because they are practically in my back yard and the price was only slightly higher.

Although, I also know many liberals who are VERY into the "buy local" idea when it comes to food products. So it could go either way really.

#38 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

The irony of buying American is now many of the foreign car manufacturers are building cars right here in the US, especially the South were there are right to work states are plentiful. Even Michigan is trying to pass right to work legislation much to unions chagrin. The UAW really needs to look at why automakers are setting up shop in the South. Once unionized workers are now voting to not unionize as they have seen what happens when the price of their product is too expensive.

#39 Posted by MrPraline (21284 posts) -
Most of the sh*t we are conditioned to buy, watch and listen to is American here, so no worries bros
#40 Posted by Serraph105 (27584 posts) -

I was reading a newspaper yesturday and it mentioned that the japanese car companies domanate the market on the west coast and in the northeast, which are the most liberal portions of the country. This got me thinking, is that purely coincodence, or are conservatives simply more contious when it comes to buying goods or helping the economy move forward? Buying Chevy rather than Toyota for instance.

MakeMeaSammitch
I will say this as a democrat, I don't check where things are made when I go shopping. As far as you Prius comment goes, if being money conscious is being a pus$y, then I'm a pus$y. I don't drive Prius, but I do drive a Honda Civic. I guess paying more often at the pump is just a sign a manliness these days that I have no interest in obtaining.
#41 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3688 posts) -

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

Serraph105

I will say this as a democrat, I don't check where things are made when I go shopping. As far as you Prius comment goes, if being money conscious is being a pus$y, then I'm a pus$y. I don't drive Prius, but I do drive a Honda Civic. I guess paying more often at the pump is just a sign a manliness these days that I have no interest in obtaining.

Honda Civic isn't that bad looking.

Prius is just about the most feminine care out there, it has nothing to do with the gas mileage.

#42 Posted by osirisx3 (1714 posts) -
Conservatives are self proclaimed economic experts so they would say protectionism does not work.
#43 Posted by C2N2 (759 posts) -

[QUOTE="Serraph105"][QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

MakeMeaSammitch

Honda Civic isn't that bad looking.

Prius is just about the most feminine care out there, it has nothing to do with the gas mileage.

If they made a hybrid that cost $12k and got 100mpg... It could be a giant vagina on wheels for all I care.

#44 Posted by thegerg (14417 posts) -

mostly all the wealthy people buy audi , bmw and all those other highend cars which do not support the american economy lolcesarexec22

Let's not forget about the BMWs made in the US that certainly so support the American economy.

#45 Posted by Nuck81 (5783 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nuck81"]Those are exit polls. Not hard data. Again the facts, and not polls, show that the Poorer states are traditionally republican majority. What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?coolbeans90

Data shows that poor states vote Repulican. It does not show that poor people are more likely to vote Republican. Within those states, minorities, who tend to be poorer than their non-minority counterparts, will vote Democratic. Data shows that the richer people are, the more inclined to vote Republican, identify as Republican. Paul Krugman, a liberal, nobel-winning economist, is of the opinion that the Repulicans win the rich.

Exit polls, while imperfect, were not double-digits off. According to those polls, Obama won very low income voters by an order of over thirty points. He lost the six-digit groups by ten.

It is very widely recognized that there is a substantial correlation between higher income and voting Republican. This holds true across racial demographics. Here's a read with a bit of statistical niceties.

And another one:

I never said that Rich People didn't vote Republican, but that the poorer states and area's of the country trend red. Also the gap between the have's and the have not's is larger in Conservatives.
#46 Posted by thegerg (14417 posts) -
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="mattbbpl"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"] ehh. I associate money with Republicans, I have yet to see a non GOP with Bill Gates money.

Bill is independent; Warren is Demo.

Then you HAVE seen a "non GOP" with Bill Gates money.
#47 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="Nuck81"]Those are exit polls. Not hard data. Again the facts, and not polls, show that the Poorer states are traditionally republican majority. What does it say that most of the 10 poorest states are Republican?Nuck81

And another one:

I never said that Rich People didn't vote Republican, but that the poorer states and area's of the country trend red. Also the gap between the have's and the have not's is larger in Conservatives.

That is all true, but that is also different than saying that people with more money do not have a higher predispotion to vote Republican. Rich are more likely to vote Republican than upper middle class are more likely to vote Republican than middle/lower middle class are more likely to vote Republican than the poor.