Are Bermuda Triangle disappearances caused by black holes?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts
Okay. So right now I'm watching this show on The History Channel, and they're talking about the possibility that there could be small black holes here on earth. Like, big black holes might create tiny black holes. Then those tiny black holes might journey through space, land on earth, and cause things like disappearing ships in the Bermuda Triangle.

My question is, isn't The History Channel supposed to be educational? Why are they showing this kind of crap programming?

emommyg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 emommyg
Member since 2003 • 762 Posts
I thought it was the gas that came out from the ocean and when it got into the engine it failed or sumthing
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Doubtful... they would be sucking up more than just boats and planes...
sniper_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 sniper_basic
Member since 2002 • 17370 Posts
That's right about when security busts into the History Channel editing room and kick out Stephen Hawking.
-911-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 -911-
Member since 2006 • 6177 Posts
Their are so many myths/legends of the Bermuda Triangle, one I know of is that it's a spawning ground for Colossal Squid.
Ghelga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Ghelga
Member since 2004 • 4310 Posts
how would a big black hole form a small black hole? :?
Headbanger88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 Headbanger88
Member since 2004 • 5023 Posts
Okay. So right now I'm watching this show on The History Channel, and they're talking about the possibility that there could be small black holes here on earth. Like, big black holes might create tiny black holes. Then those tiny black holes might journey through space, land on earth, and cause things like disappearing ships in the Bermuda Triangle.

My question is, isn't The History Channel supposed to be educational? Why are they showing this kind of crap programming?

MrGeezer

The History Channel is educational for the most part but I do like the wacky shows about UFOs and strange happenings. May not be true but still interesting.
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 quiglythegreat
Member since 2006 • 16886 Posts
...That seriously is the stupidest thing I've heard today. What's so offensive is it's clearly trying to be smart.
inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts
i think that actually this is a divergent plate boundary in the bermuda triangle and the alternating strips of magnetized metal that change when the poles shift every few thousand years is actualy what causes all of the problems in the bermuda triangle
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrGeezer
how would a big black hole form a small black hole? :?Ghelga

They have this "Dr Somebody" strongly promoting this idea. Dr of what? I don't know, they didn't say. But he's a freaking idiot.

dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts
one theory thati heard a little while ago, which imo sounds the most logical is; in the Bermuda Triangle there is alot of excess methane gas (i forget why theres gas) and the gas some how causes the air planes, and boats to sink and crash
Avatar image for NavigatorsGhost
NavigatorsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NavigatorsGhost
Member since 2006 • 6483 Posts

Users have a hard enough time coherently discussing their favorite types of food and movies on this forum, I don't think we have any business debating the existence of black holes in the ocean.

yermomsboxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 yermomsboxx
Member since 2005 • 6348 Posts
I always thought it had something to do with magnetic polarities...it's an intersting thought, though.
inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts

I always thought it had something to do with magnetic polarities...it's an intersting thought, though.yermomsboxx

you copied me:x

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts
theres no way, black holes destroy everything, including light, and any gases. It would either be seen, or it would destroy the earth.
manic111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 manic111
Member since 2005 • 1280 Posts
There is a slightly out there scientific theory that states that inside every black hole is a universe. It is gaining a lot of support within the astrophysical community apparently. If this is true, then I suppose the Bermuda triangle theory isnt impossible. Its better than the giant squid idea anyway!
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 quiglythegreat
theres no way, black holes destroy everything, including light, and any gases. It would either be seen, or it would destroy the earth.SaintLeonidas
...right, you need to look at the first post to understand the purpose of this topic....
achilles614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 achilles614
Member since 2005 • 5310 Posts
one theory thati heard a little while ago, which imo sounds the most logical is; in the Bermuda Triangle there is alot of excess methane gas (i forget why theres gas) and the gas some how causes the air planes, and boats to sink and crashdante_123456
that's I've always been lead to believe
jm4847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 jm4847
Member since 2006 • 3535 Posts
Well it's sounds a little too out there but it's not impossible...
That's right about when security busts into the History Channel editing room and kick out Stephen Hawking.sniper_basic
:lol:
Verigar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Verigar
Member since 2006 • 264 Posts

MrGeezer
There are tiny black holes on earth but they are so small that cannot suck a person.About the Bermuda trianfle they say that there is a black hole that can suck huge objects,others say that the waters are very dangerous but nobody knows for sure.The History Channel shows a documentary,it has educational purpose and if you don't like it change the channel.Easy huh?
yermomsboxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 yermomsboxx
Member since 2005 • 6348 Posts

[QUOTE="yermomsboxx"]I always thought it had something to do with magnetic polarities...it's an intersting thought, though.inyourface_12

you copied me:x

I certainly did:x
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 quiglythegreat
There is a slightly out there scientific theory that states that inside every black hole is a universe. It is gaining a lot of support within the astrophysical community apparently. If this is true, then I suppose the Bermuda triangle theory isnt impossible. Its better than the giant squid idea anyway!manic111
No, it's still totally impossible. Let's say that 'other worlds' exist in black holes, then black holes still annihilate everything (it'd be really interesting to see what happens to everything structurally once in the black hole and its withstood the gravitational forces in there....like, does the entropy increase or decrease? Well....nevermind, now I'm tempted to start typing as I think. And what precisely the hell would be 'other universes'? Like, seriously, that's so stupid. The universe is everything in existence. The end. There can't be anything more by definition.
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 quiglythegreat
There are tiny black holes on earth but they are so small that cannot suck a person.About the Bermuda trianfle they say that there is a black hole that can suck huge objects,others say that the waters are very dangerous but nobody knows for sure.The History Channel shows a documentary,it has educational purpose and if you don't like it change the channel.Easy huh?Verigar
No, there are not black holes everywhere, and certainly not on earth. 'Tiny blackholes' would still be a tad noticeable. If you're talking about quantum physics or super gravity or some other nonsense, then still, no, that's not what a black hole is called. So what precisely do you mean?
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MrGeezer
theres no way, black holes destroy everything, including light, and any gases. It would either be seen, or it would destroy the earth.SaintLeonidas

Well, there are microscopic black holes that scientists are actually trying to create in laboratories. The thing is, black holes can only exist if they're under a certain size. So microscopic black holes explode pretty much as soon as they are formed, before they have a chance to even come in contact with any matter.

Either way, it's just a stupid idea, and they have no business having this crap on an educational channel. This is even worse than those ghost shows that they have on The Discovery Channel. At least those are about the supernatural. This show is supposed to be about "science", it's just that the science is just stupid and wrong. It's not even remotely possible.

I don't think they so much as looked up "black hole" in the encyclopedia.
CHAOSWEAV3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CHAOSWEAV3R
Member since 2006 • 8293 Posts
That seems kind of out there. Wouldn't the black holes take all matter, not just ships & planes? I don't see the ocean being sucked down into a black hole... I saw the experiment with the Bermuda triangle stuff by sinking ships with a ton of tiny bubbles that rise from the ocean floor from vents. That seems a lot more practical.
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 quiglythegreat
[QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]theres no way, black holes destroy everything, including light, and any gases. It would either be seen, or it would destroy the earth.MrGeezer

Well, there are microscopic black holes that scientists are actually trying to create in laboratories. The thing is, black holes can only exist if they're under a certain size. So microscopic black holes explode pretty much as soon as they are formed, before they have a chance to even come in contact with any matter.

Either way, it's just a stupid idea, and they have no business having this crap on an educational channel. This is even worse than those ghost shows that they have on The Discovery Channel. At least those are about the supernatural. This show is supposed to be about "science", it's just that the science is just stupid and wrong. It's not even remotely possible.

I had no idea they were trying to do that. What, are they just trying to explode a bunch of mass together or something? What is the trick with that?
Gamezilla57

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 Gamezilla57
Member since 2005 • 2486 Posts

MrGeezer

Haha, I have to agree with you. The whole thing sounds very stupid to me.
xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 xhellcatx
Member since 2006 • 9015 Posts

As far as ships going down, I heard (and believe) that bubbles are released from the sea floor. (Lots of volcanic activity down in that region which creates the gas and the bubbles). Anyhow, the bubbles displace the water, and a boat happens to be there at the wrong place and the wrong time. Boats need so much water to stay afloat. They showed a test with a tube with bubbles and a little toy ship. With enough bubbles, yea. Down she goes.

As far as Aircraft getting 'lost', well, most of the aircraft lost was back in the day when they had to use their eyes and a compass for navigation. Being over open water on a sunny day, haze in the distance, you can easily get disorented and get vertigo and doubt your instruments. (this goes for more modern craft as well). Those theories are ones I believe enough to stick with them.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts
...That seriously is the stupidest thing I've heard today. What's so offensive is it's clearly trying to be smart.quiglythegreat

No kidding... a black hole that is inexplicably selective in what it 'decides' to suck in.
manic111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 manic111
[QUOTE="manic111"]There is a slightly out there scientific theory that states that inside every black hole is a universe. It is gaining a lot of support within the astrophysical community apparently. If this is true, then I suppose the Bermuda triangle theory isnt impossible. Its better than the giant squid idea anyway!quiglythegreat
No, it's still totally impossible. Let's say that 'other worlds' exist in black holes, then black holes still annihilate everything (it'd be really interesting to see what happens to everything structurally once in the black hole and its withstood the gravitational forces in there....like, does the entropy increase or decrease? Well....nevermind, now I'm tempted to start typing as I think. And what precisely the hell would be 'other universes'? Like, seriously, that's so stupid. The universe is everything in existence. The end. There can't be anything more by definition.

Why is the universe all that there is? I agree that it cannot have a boundary, but in this sense the black hole would not create a boundary between one universe and another.The universes would be on different layers to one another. Infinite in every sense, yet housing other universes with different space time continuums. All universes could potentially have infinite space and time within their own continuum.
quiglythegreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 quiglythegreat
[QUOTE="quiglythegreat"][QUOTE="manic111"]There is a slightly out there scientific theory that states that inside every black hole is a universe. It is gaining a lot of support within the astrophysical community apparently. If this is true, then I suppose the Bermuda triangle theory isnt impossible. Its better than the giant squid idea anyway!manic111

Why is the universe all that there is? I agree that it cannot have a boundary, but in this sense the black hole would not create a boundary between one universe and another.The universes would be on different layers to one another. Infinite in every sense, yet housing other universes with different space time continuums. All universes could potentially have infinite space and time within their own continuum.

But to call such a region another universe is not really true. My argument was about the linguistics, not the theory.
ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ShuLordLiuPei
Member since 2005 • 9520 Posts

[QUOTE="manic111"]There is a slightly out there scientific theory that states that inside every black hole is a universe. It is gaining a lot of support within the astrophysical community apparently. If this is true, then I suppose the Bermuda triangle theory isnt impossible. Its better than the giant squid idea anyway!quiglythegreat

"Annihilate" is the right word.  One of the laws of physics states information cannot be destroyed.  So, it isn't annihilated, and we are sure know what happens to it.  See: Information Paradox.

But I'm sure you already know this.

format_kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 format_kid
Member since 2005 • 3527 Posts
That's surprising...like do they not know what black holes do? I don't care how small they are, they still suck everything up. I'll take the methane gas theory on this one thank you.
Verigar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Verigar
[QUOTE="Verigar"]There are tiny black holes on earth but they are so small that cannot suck a person.About the Bermuda trianfle they say that there is a black hole that can suck huge objects,others say that the waters are very dangerous but nobody knows for sure.The History Channel shows a documentary,it has educational purpose and if you don't like it change the channel.Easy huh?quiglythegreat
No, there are not black holes everywhere, and certainly not on earth. 'Tiny blackholes' would still be a tad noticeable. If you're talking about quantum physics or super gravity or some other nonsense, then still, no, that's not what a black hole is called. So what precisely do you mean?

When I say tiny blackholes I mean so small that cannot be seen with naked eye.A blackhole is a star that reached its end and becomes small but with great energy,so powerfall that light cannot escape it.Blackholes cannot be seen because of that reason.Our sun when will become a blackhole will have a diameter of 3 kilometers but it will destroy our solar system(written by Steven Hawking and teached at schools).After that short lesson I say that there are some certain effects observed by scientists saying that on earth there are black holes which interact with tiny particles(of air,sand etc.)If there is something you do not understand,just ask 
MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MrGeezer
[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]theres no way, black holes destroy everything, including light, and any gases. It would either be seen, or it would destroy the earth.quiglythegreat

I had no idea they were trying to do that. What, are they just trying to explode a bunch of mass together or something? What is the trick with that?

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure on that myself, but I think that's pretty much the gist of it. I'm pretty sure that they would just smash two atoms together so hard that it turns into a tiny black hole. But last I heard, current accelerators weren't powerful enough, so they had to wait for the Large Hadron Collider at Geneva  to be completed.

Not sure if the Large Hadron Collider is finished yet, but it's got to be close to completion.

manic111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 manic111
Fair enough, then. I also disagree with you based on the linguistics. Personally, I would say that a universe is a self contained infinite spacio-temporal entity. If this is the case, then it is possible that there could be multiple universes. If the universe is, as I assume you define it, the totality of everything (regardless of the space time continuum), then you are right-there cannot be multiple universes. We would, though, be talking at cross purposes. Verigar, Im not entirely sure what you are talking about. You say (correctly) that black holes are stars that die and compact. However, if this is the case then there could not be black holes on earth. Are you sure that you dont mean dark matter?
ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ShuLordLiuPei

[QUOTE="quiglythegreat"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]theres no way, black holes destroy everything, including light, and any gases. It would either be seen, or it would destroy the earth.MrGeezer

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure on that myself, but I think that's pretty much the gist of it. I'm pretty sure that they would just smash two atoms together so hard that it turns into a tiny black hole. But last I heard, current accelerators weren't powerful enough, so they had to wait for the Large Hadron Collider at Geneva  to be completed.

Not sure if the Large Hadron Collider is finished yet, but it's got to be close to completion.

I looked up Hardon in Wikipedia and it gave me the page for "Erection". :|

Well, they are supposed done by November.  I'm waiting for them to find the Higgs boson more than anything.

Verigar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Verigar

Fair enough, then. I also disagree with you based on the linguistics. Personally, I would say that a universe is a self contained infinite spacio-temporal entity. If this is the case, then it is possible that there could be multiple universes. If the universe is, as I assume you define it, the totality of everything (regardless of the space time continuum), then you are right-there cannot be multiple universes. We would, though, be talking at cross purposes. Verigar, Im not entirely sure what you are talking about. You say (correctly) that black holes are stars that die and compact. However, if this is the case then there could not be black holes on earth. Are you sure that you dont mean dark matter?manic111
About what you say about the universe I agree,It is a possibility

About the blackholes I say that there are certain phenomena here on earth that act like a black hole/wormhole.Very tiny and cannot be seen.That's it.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MrGeezer

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="quiglythegreat"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]theres no way, black holes destroy everything, including light, and any gases. It would either be seen, or it would destroy the earth.ShuLordLiuPei

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure on that myself, but I think that's pretty much the gist of it. I'm pretty sure that they would just smash two atoms together so hard that it turns into a tiny black hole. But last I heard, current accelerators weren't powerful enough, so they had to wait for the Large Hadron Collider at Geneva to be completed.

Well, they are supposed done by November. I'm waiting for them to find the Higgs boson more than anything.

manic111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 manic111

[QUOTE="manic111"]Fair enough, then. I also disagree with you based on the linguistics. Personally, I would say that a universe is a self contained infinite spacio-temporal entity. If this is the case, then it is possible that there could be multiple universes. If the universe is, as I assume you define it, the totality of everything (regardless of the space time continuum), then you are right-there cannot be multiple universes. We would, though, be talking at cross purposes. Verigar, Im not entirely sure what you are talking about. You say (correctly) that black holes are stars that die and compact. However, if this is the case then there could not be black holes on earth. Are you sure that you dont mean dark matter?Verigar

About what you say about the universe I agree,It is a possibility

About the blackholes I say that there are certain phenomena here on earth that act like a black hole/wormhole.Very tiny and cannot be seen.That's it.

But you have already said that black holes are collapsed stars. If this is the case, how are these black holes on earth formed? Are there tiny stars on earth? It seems incompatible that there are tiny black holes on earth and that black holes are formed by dying stars.
ShuLordLiuPei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 ShuLordLiuPei
[QUOTE="ShuLordLiuPei"]

[QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="quiglythegreat"][QUOTE="MrGeezer"][QUOTE="SaintLeonidas"]theres no way, black holes destroy everything, including light, and any gases. It would either be seen, or it would destroy the earth.MrGeezer

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure on that myself, but I think that's pretty much the gist of it. I'm pretty sure that they would just smash two atoms together so hard that it turns into a tiny black hole. But last I heard, current accelerators weren't powerful enough, so they had to wait for the Large Hadron Collider at Geneva to be completed.

Well, they are supposed done by November. I'm waiting for them to find the Higgs boson more than anything.

I had family in the room...