Apparently there's a film that really argues for geocentrism

#1 Edited by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

And it's narrated by Captain Janeway.

I'd like to take a moment to point out that Sungenis' claims sound exactly like the claims of other science-deniers out there ("all these scientists and scientific organizations are covering up tah TRUTH! The Bible says so!")

Thankfully, Mulgrew doesn't actually believe this nonsense.

#2 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7807 posts) -

Did she even read her script before hand? How can someone be tricked into narrating a movie supporting geocentrism?

#3 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26352 posts) -

Just reading about this. Quite a few people who appear in this aren't very happy.

#4 Posted by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Did she even read her script before hand? How can someone be tricked into narrating a movie supporting geocentrism?

Those were my thoughts. Then again, if one were to pay me enough, I'd read just about anything to them.

#5 Edited by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas said:

Just reading about this. Quite a few people who appear in this aren't very happy.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2014/04/08/lawrence_krauss_on_ending_up_in_the_geocentricism_documentary_the_principle.html

#6 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1750 posts) -

damn, now i'm gonna have to watch it

#7 Posted by foxhound_fox (88776 posts) -

@HoolaHoopMan said:

A cleverly-written script that doesn't outright mention it perhaps?

What has Kate Mulgrew really done since Voyager though? She could have been desperate for a job.

#8 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26352 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

What has Kate Mulgrew really done since Voyager though? She could have been desperate for a job.

Oh...only co-starred in one of the most highly praised TV shows of last year.

#9 Posted by Masculus (2869 posts) -

Lol, i'm curious to see the arguments for this movie.

#10 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3953 posts) -

probably the anti-evolution crowd.

#11 Posted by MrGeezer (56574 posts) -

@Makhaidos said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

Those were my thoughts. Then again, if one were to pay me enough, I'd read just about anything to them.

Same here, but that's not getting duped. That's just selling out.

Again, I'm not saying I'm not willing to sell out if the price is right (I'm currently accepting offers). I'm just saying that I find it hard to believe that one can get TRICKED into this kind of thing without being totally totally lazy or oblivious.

#12 Edited by lamprey263 (24232 posts) -

not surprised, there's still a live and active Flat Earth Society

there's people out there that think the sky is blue because the Earth is surrounded by a sphere of ice

lots of wackos out there

#13 Edited by wis3boi (31472 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

reminds me of Ben Stein doing this kind of stunt for his anti-evolution film. He invited some people to have a conversation about biology, evolution, etc, like a normal conversation, then edited the talks to skew them.

#14 Posted by MrGeezer (56574 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

reminds me of Ben Stein doing this kind of stunt for his anti-evolution film. He invited some people to have a conversation about biology, evolution, etc, like a normal conversation, then edited the talks to skew them.

Yeah, but that's just an edited interview. That's the same type of thing where a movie critic says "I had no fun watching this movie," and then that critic is quoted on the case or in TV ads as saying, "fun".

I dunno, it just seems to me like it'd be harder to get away with that kind of shit when you're taking enough content to narrate an entire freaking movie. Five word blurb on a DVD case? i can see that. 30 second interview response? I can see that. But narrating an entire movie?

#15 Posted by jimkabrhel (15420 posts) -

What the hell, Captain Janeway? You can argue that this movie is just a job and she's getting paid, or you could argue the same thing for Voyager, and she really believes this anti-science nonsense.

She's on a popular show and getting paid well for it, probably, so she can just ignore this little issue. It's very disappointing though.

#16 Posted by foxhound_fox (88776 posts) -

@SaintLeonidas said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

HOLY SHIT that was her!?

Jesus, I had no idea.

#17 Posted by Korvus (3982 posts) -

Watching the "trailer" that was with the article I see no indication that she "narrates the whole thing"; also I've seen documentaries with some of those guys and it just seems like your average "let's cut their sentences into something ambiguous and then shift it in our favour by doing the same with the next guy".

A lot of those guys like talking about the now-disproved notions like "Back in the 16th century almost everyone would say 'I believe the Earth is flat and the sun and starts revolve around the us'." Cut the beginning of that sentence and you now have a well-known scientist saying the Earth is flat and the Sun gravitates around it.

#18 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3953 posts) -

I remember in college we had to prove hubbles law mathematically (it proves the universe isn't geocentric)

I think math just comes hard to these anti science groups.

#19 Posted by Makhaidos (1614 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@SaintLeonidas said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

HOLY SHIT that was her!?

Jesus, I had no idea.

Wasn't she also Flemeth in Dragon Age?

#20 Posted by uninspiredcup (9006 posts) -

She a good actress who tends to wind up in shit (like voyager).

#21 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7807 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

@HoolaHoopMan said:

I always tried with Voyager, easily the worst captain for me. I just don't see how she can say she was tricked into narrating a movie. Misquoted in an interview? Sure it happens all the time in documentaries but narrating it is a different story.