Apparently, the language of the Vikings was English.

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Seriously, is Mel Gibson the only person with some ambition when it comes to making historical film?

Why don't they care about these things? Who is to blame? America?

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

It's likely done so not to add subtitles and risk less people watching it in English speaking nations, since they dislike that for some reason, and possibly because they can use American and British actors that are recognized by many rather then hold auditions in the specific countries and have less known actors.

I'll be the first to say I cringe whenever a scandinavian name, Like Bjørn or Sverre, is pronounced in english. It just doesn't sound correctly for anyone of us in Scandinavia.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

And this matters, why? What's the point in wasting money training actors to speak a dead language so that a handful of nerds/professors get joy from watching it in original Old Norse?

Also, which Mel Gibson historical film are you talking about? Because Apocalypto was incredibly inaccurate, being set in the early 1500's, playing Mayans off to be Aztecs despite Mayan civilization being dead at that point, and Braveheart (which was in English BTW, not Middle English or Gaelic) which pretty much gets the entire William Wallace story wrong.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By bmanva
Member since 2002 • 4680 Posts

@foxhound_fox: Think he was referring to passion of christ, which had latin and hebrew vo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

It's almost like it's fiction and not a documentary.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 foxhound_fox

@bmanva said:

@foxhound_fox: Think he was referring to passion of christ, which had latin and hebrew vo.

Despite the people of the time and region speaking Aramaic (IIRC)?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@bmanva said:

Aramaic actually....

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

@foxhound_fox: While I will say that Apocalypto was alright, it may not be accurate but was okay. I'll agree with bmanva, it's probably Passion of the Christ movie and I haven't seen that movie in years.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#9 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

A King, a Queen and a President. Let the chaos begin!

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:
@bmanva said:

Aramaic actually....

Yep. Pretty sure 90% of the movie was in Aramaic except maybe a scene or two with Jews and Romans which were in different languages (Hebrew and Roman).

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bmanva

@alim298 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@bmanva said:

Aramaic actually....

Yep. Pretty sure 90% of the movie was in Aramaic except maybe a scene or two with Jews and Romans which were in different languages (Hebrew and Roman).

Wow you guys are so knowledgeable; it's almost like you have access to all of the information ever on the tip of your fingers.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

@bmanva said:
@alim298 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@bmanva said:

Aramaic actually....

Wow you guys are so knowledgeable; it's almost like you have access to all of the information ever on the tip of your fingers.

Didn't google a damn thing. Is that what you do?

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

And this matters, why? What's the point in wasting money training actors to speak a dead language so that a handful of nerds/professors get joy from watching it in original Old Norse?

Also, which Mel Gibson historical film are you talking about? Because Apocalypto was incredibly inaccurate, being set in the early 1500's, playing Mayans off to be Aztecs despite Mayan civilization being dead at that point, and Braveheart (which was in English BTW, not Middle English or Gaelic) which pretty much gets the entire William Wallace story wrong.

Furthermore people seem not to realize that languages of today were extremely different than what they were 1500 years ago.. If you tried to speak to a Old English speaker from 600AD, you wouldn't understand them.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bmanva

@LJS9502_basic said:
@bmanva said:
@alim298 said:
@LJS9502_basic said:
@bmanva said:

Aramaic actually....

What is this google thing?

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I would prefer not to watch movies in subtitles. It detracts from the film, IMO.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 foxhound_fox

@bmanva said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

You should probably learn what it is, then you won't go making a fool of yourself and making errors like you did.

bmanva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bmanva

@foxhound_fox said:
@bmanva said:
@LJS9502_basic said:

You should probably learn what it is, then you won't go making a fool of yourself and making errors like you did.

How do I google this google thing then?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@airshocker said:

I would prefer not to watch movies in subtitles. It detracts from the film, IMO.

Only seen a handful of movies without subtitles in my life... For some it is the only viable option.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@horgen said:
@airshocker said:

Only seen a handful of movies without subtitles in my life... For some it is the only viable option.

when i watch at home, subtitles has to be on. I dont have to turn up the volume to where my neighbors complain. plus i hear a lot more of the dialogue. there are a lot of one liners that get lost without subtitles

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

I prefer subtitles over dubbing---as long as the subtitles don't obscure eye candy during scenes that contain nudity and/or fornication.

garathe_den

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By garathe_den
Member since 2008 • 1427 Posts

Well modern day English is made up of a number of languages, Norse being one of them.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@jsmoke03 said:
@horgen said:
@airshocker said:

when i watch at home, subtitles has to be on. I dont have to turn up the volume to where my neighbors complain. plus i hear a lot more of the dialogue. there are a lot of one liners that get lost without subtitles

If it is in the cinema or on TV, subtitles will be on... If I use DVD/Blu-ray then I can choose... Often I end up with English subtitles. Whoever translates doesn't always do a good job these days :(

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 foxhound_fox

@garathe_den said:

Well modern day English is made up of a number of languages, Norse being one of them.

Well, Germanic, but they are related.

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Apparently, the language of the Vikings was English

I seriously doubt it was.

Besides "Viking" is just a term that makes reference to a group of nordic tribes with no designation to one in particular, pretty much like the term "Barbarian".

Acillatem1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Acillatem1993
Member since 2011 • 1100 Posts

@raugutcon: I think you missunderstood the what the OP meant. =D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Acillatem1993: Where have you been?! Shame on you for not being around every day like the rest of us, respectful people....

Acillatem1993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Acillatem1993
Member since 2011 • 1100 Posts

@korvus: You are mistaken my dear Korvus, I am here every day. But you cannot possibly imagine the struggle of opening OT early in the morning and not finding a single topic fit for me making a reply in! ='(((

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@Acillatem1993: Sadly I'm starting to know the feeling...so tired of political and religious topics here...excluding those, all there's left is silly threads (which are still preferable). Tried going back to article comments but they're so annoying too...

Anyway, we're derailing the thread. PM me =D

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@themajormayor: the language they spoke was old scandinavian which we in norway call Nørron. America never gives a shit when it comes to other languages in their movies. Golden Compass was suppose to take place in my city, they never filmed anything and they never included the norwegian language in the movie. Movies like Valkyria they speak english or even most WW2 movies. Germans are apparantly very bad at speaking german and good in english

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

Most people don't appreciate that level of authenticity if it comes at the cost of their convenience.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 themajormayor

@foxhound_fox said:

Because it makes it less immersive. Nobody said it was only for a handful nerds/professors, a huge part of the audience would get joy from it.

Apocalypto and Passion of the Christ. The Mayan civilization was not dead at that point, it was in decline. Which is something that is present the whole movie. Besides, the point here is the ambition.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 themajormayor

@airshocker said:

That's how you know that you're a hillbilly.

Stesilaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Stesilaus
Member since 2007 • 4999 Posts

Which movie prompted this complaint, @themajormayor ? Is it an existing movie, or is there a new Viking-themed "historical" movie in production?

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#35 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@Treflis: Well you have a movie like Trollhunter who did well in other countries

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts
@themajormayor said:

Seriously, is Mel Gibson the only person with some ambition when it comes to making historical film?

He made Braveheart. He clearly doesn't care for history.

To give him credit in some of his films he has put effort into language, but I don't think he's ever made a film that could be considered historically accurate.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

Because it would be unbearable to watch, it's a dead language that we don't know that much about. I am saying this a swede, just let it go.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56094 Posts

Apparently, the language of the Vikings was English.

And it appears you'll never watch the movie, Pathfinder starring Karl Urban and the Vikings didn't speak English, they speak Old Norse Language.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 themajormayor

@Stesilaus said:

Which movie prompted this complaint, @themajormayor ? Is it an existing movie, or is there a new Viking-themed "historical" movie in production?

Sorry, it's a TV-series called Vikings

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@themajormayor said:
@Stesilaus said:

Sorry, it's a TV-series called Vikings

Blame audiences who don't like to read. Besides, that show has a ton of historical accuracy issues.

Edit: Actually to be fair, they actually do speak in native languages in scenes where not every character speaks the same language. They do it "Hunt for Red October" style where the characters are speaking in their native tongue but the dialog is in English so the audience can understand.

-Byshop

BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#42 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

@PernicioEnigma said:

Most people don't appreciate that level of authenticity if it comes at the cost of their convenience.

^

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 foxhound_fox

@themajormayor said:

Because it makes it less immersive. Nobody said it was only for a handful nerds/professors, a huge part of the audience would get joy from it.

Apocalypto and Passion of the Christ. The Mayan civilization was not dead at that point, it was in decline. Which is something that is present the whole movie. Besides, the point here is the ambition.

The Mayan civilization disappeared several hundred years prior to the rise of the Aztecs. This is historical fact. The Mayan people lived on, but their civilization vanished.

Apocalypto was a very good bad historical film.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 themajormayor

@foxhound_fox said:
@themajormayor said:

The Mayan civilization disappeared several hundred years prior to the rise of the Aztecs. This is historical fact. The Mayan people lived on, but their civilization vanished.

No it didn't.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#45 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

@Motokid6 said:

@airshocker: I prefer the opposite. I feel subtitles and a foreign language add to the immersion. And reading the subtitles helps me absorb the content better.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 foxhound_fox

@themajormayor said:
@foxhound_fox said:
@themajormayor said:

No it didn't.

lrn2history

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Maya_collapse

They were the dominant civilization in the period until the 900's CE. They had a presence after that, but other groups took over dominance, and Apocalypto does not reflect history. Gibson portrayed the Aztecs falsely as Mayans.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 themajormayor
@foxhound_fox said:
@themajormayor said:
@foxhound_fox said:
@themajormayor said:

No it didn't.

lrn2history

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Maya_collapse

They were the dominant civilization in the period until the 900's CE. They had a presence after that, but other groups took over dominance, and Apocalypto does not reflect history. Gibson portrayed the Aztecs falsely as Mayans.

lol second paragraph

"The "collapse" was not the end of the Maya civilization"

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 foxhound_fox

@themajormayor said:

lol second paragraph

"The "collapse" was not the end of the Maya civilization"

Civilization and people are two different things. The massive Mayan cities were completely abandoned.

The Civilization as it existed prior to 900 CE did collapse and was the end of the "Classical" civilization.

Can you not read?

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 themajormayor

@foxhound_fox: Yeah, which is something very different from what you've been saying the whole time.

poptart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 poptart
Member since 2003 • 7298 Posts

@themajormayor said:

Sorry, did you watch Braveheart? And as for an authentic representation of Nordic life there's surely going to be a degree of speculation and interpretation depending on which historian is pulling the strings. It's great when a director makes an effort for sure, although if you want authenticity of cultural representation the cinema is rarely the place to look.