Apparently the Japanese believe in God

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by sonicare (53563 posts) -

Just reading the warranty on Toyota/Lexus and apparently you are not covered for natural disasters, war, riot, insurrection, or "Acts of God". Lol.

#2 Posted by thegerg (15768 posts) -

@sonicare said:

Just reading the warranty on Toyota/Lexus and apparently you are not covered for natural disasters, war, riot, insurrection, or "Acts of God". Lol.

ok

#3 Edited by the_foreign_guy (22656 posts) -

"Acts of God" is basically a legal term for events outside of human control where no one can be held responsible. It's a fairly common term in legal fineprint, especially warranties.

Source

#4 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7554 posts) -

Dang all those poor fellas out there with the name "Jesus" isn't covered :(

#5 Edited by foxhound_fox (90270 posts) -

The Japanese have been described as: Shinto when they are born, Christian when they are married and Buddhist when they die.

As for the topic at hand, that is just legalese for "anything outside our or your control".

#6 Posted by turtlethetaffer (17086 posts) -

So... Okay?

#7 Posted by sonicare (53563 posts) -

@the_foreign_guy said:

"Acts of God" is basically a legal term for events outside of human control where no one can be held responsible. It's a fairly common term in legal fineprint, especially warranties.

Source

I thought it referred to if Thor smashed your stuff. How do you insure against that?

#8 Posted by hippiesanta (9976 posts) -

hmmmmm ok....... a bit immature topic.... but ... hmmmmm ...ok

#9 Edited by uninspiredcup (11875 posts) -

Another god bashing thread. Yay!

#10 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

Why wouldn't they?

#11 Posted by dave123321 (34303 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: where?

#12 Posted by GazaAli (23524 posts) -

@the_foreign_guy said:

Source

Helpful post, thanks!

#13 Edited by BranKetra (49372 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

The Japanese have been described as: Shinto when they are born, Christian when they are married and Buddhist when they die.

Indeed.

I have not actually been to Japan (I hope to someday). According to my research, many Japanese will associate themselves as followers of certain religions in census surveys, but in normal conversations will identify themselves as not religious.

#14 Posted by GazaAli (23524 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Indeed.

I have not actually been to Japan (I hope to someday). According to my research, many Japanese will associate themselves as followers of certain religions in census surveys, but in normal conversations will identify themselves as not religious.

I think Japan as a nation has turned on its head. Its progressively losing its identity and the essence of its culture in favor of complete cultural and moral anarchy.

#15 Posted by Mercuria1_King (278 posts) -

Good for them.

#16 Posted by Master_Live (15402 posts) -

Wow.

#17 Edited by BranKetra (49372 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@BranKetra said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Indeed.

I think Japan as a nation has turned on its head. Its progressively losing its identity and the essence of its culture in favor of complete cultural and moral anarchy.

I believe Japan is continually pushing the boundaries of what is cutting edge and acceptable while continuing to maintain parts of its traditional culture which can be noticed in multiple ways.

A few of the noticeable traditional traits are are the following:

1. Typical one company career modern version of lifetime-lasting medieval caste system
  2. Acceptance of foreigners integrating into culture remains statistically low and with difficulties
  3. Traditional-looking areas within cities (smaller buildings and trees) contrast high-tech modern architecture of major cities such as Tokyo, etc.
  4. Citizens dress wear throughout the week (uniforms and formal attire)

There are things the Japanese government allows that I do not approve of, though, such as the harvesting of dolphins and whales for sustenance.

#18 Posted by whipassmt (14265 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Indeed.

Maybe. Just because someone is "not religious" doesn't mean that they don't believe in a God or higher power. From what I've read only 25% of people who identify as "secular" or "nonreligious" consider themselves atheists.

@the_foreign_guy said:

Source

I wonder if the ACLU is mad about that.

#19 Posted by foxhound_fox (90270 posts) -

@whipassmt said:

@BranKetra said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Indeed.

Maybe. Just because someone is "not religious" doesn't mean that they don't believe in a God or higher power. From what I've read only 25% of people who identify as "secular" or "nonreligious" consider themselves atheists.

A lot of people who don't believe in "God" or a "higher power" don't even understand what being an "atheist" is. So asking their opinion on what they believe gets muddled due to definition confusion.

#20 Posted by KidKungLi (8 posts) -

I don't understand why OP thought this was interesting enough to make a thread about it.

#21 Edited by musicalmac (23346 posts) -

I don't remember folks on OT being so cantankerous. lol

EDIT: Not in reference to you, OP, in reference to the snippiness of some other users.

#22 Posted by BranKetra (49372 posts) -
@foxhound_fox said:

@whipassmt said:

@BranKetra said:

@foxhound_fox said:

Indeed.

A lot of people who don't believe in "God" or a "higher power" don't even understand what being an "atheist" is. So asking their opinion on what they believe gets muddled due to definition confusion.

A simple Wikipedia search would clarify things. With all the information available on the internet, to not take advantage of much of what is free is a waste.

#23 Posted by delete-SimplyFatal (1122 posts) -

cool story bro